Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-04-2018, 01:20 AM   #1
tonybeepbeep
Human being with feelings

Default Noob question about merging/rendering guitar tracks

I'm looking for a way of recording two distorted guitar tracks simultaneously through an ABY pedal and then blending them into a single mono track. I have one amp that is DI'd and the other input would be through a pedal into the interface. My goal is to double track L/R rhythm guitar and have a blend of the tones to give some separation in the left and right channels.

I can't mic them at the moment, so would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
Stella645

If you want separation between right and left channels why would you want to blend them to a single mono track. The 2 things are not compatible.....either you want stereo or you want mono?
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
If you want separation between right and left channels why would you want to blend them to a single mono track. The 2 things are not compatible.....either you want stereo or you want mono?
I didn't make it clear enough. I'm recording metal demo tracks and wanted two different rhythm sounds for the left and right guitars. The idea is to blend two distorted signals into one for either the left or right guitar.

Would be a mono track panned 100% L or R in the final mix.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Judders

Let me try and get this straight...

You're recording two tracks simultaneously? Using one input on your interface for the amp, and another for the pedal?

If I've got that right, I would put those two tracks into a folder, then use the track faders to blend them how I want, and use the folder track's pan. Then if I wanted a single mono file of that blend, I would freeze the folder track to a mono file.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #5
tonybeepbeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Let me try and get this straight...

You're recording two tracks simultaneously? Using one input on your interface for the amp, and another for the pedal?

If I've got that right, I would put those two tracks into a folder, then use the track faders to blend them how I want, and use the folder track's pan. Then if I wanted a single mono file of that blend, I would freeze the folder track to a mono file.
That's right. I used to record two guitar amps in an analogue studio and mix the two signals into a single track, blending the two distorted tones. I'm trying to recreate this with limited equipment, at home.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Will try it out this weekend.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:20 AM   #6
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
That's right. I used to record two guitar amps in an analogue studio and mix the two signals into a single track, blending the two distorted tones. I'm trying to recreate this with limited equipment, at home.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. Will try it out this weekend.
Okay, cool.

When you right-click the folder's track header you can choose to freeze to mono, and if you want to edit that audio you can click on the lock icon on the audio item. But if you unfreeze the track (say, if you wanted to change the blend later) you will lose all those edits.

The other option is to right-click on the folder's track header and render to a new track as a mono file, but remember to make sure the original folder is muted.

I personally work with freezing, because in the above scenario if you want to edit the audio and then change the blend later you will have to do all those edits again regardless. It also means dealing with less tracks.

Hope that makes sense.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote