Old 04-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #1
Triode
Human being with feelings

Default v5.80pre6 - April 23 2018

v5.80pre6 - April 23 2018
  • + MIDI editor: fix zoom to selected CC/notes with multiple contexts
  • # MIDI editor: fix issues with note folding and simultaneous inline and regular MIDI editors
  • # MIDI editor: fix re-opening MIDI item auto-zoom bug [p=1981796]
  • # MIDI editor: improve note folding behavior with multiple contexts
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
mccrabney

so far so good. i will keep testing.

meanwhile, i found this:

this might not have to do with this pre, but velocity bars on non-active track midi are hidden behind velocity bars from ghosted midi on other tracks, doubleclicking to activate the misbehaving midi items brings the velocity bars into visibility. this improvement is not reversed when you de-activate the item by moving to the next.

TLDR: the velocity bars for the selected track are "wrong" at the beginning of gif, and "right" at the end of gif.

mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
mccrabney

with "selection is linked to editability" on, you can't escape editability of the item you first opened. issue is presented at 5 seconds in the gif below.

1- enter midi item X with no other items selected
2- select midi item Y, de-selecting item X
3- issue: item X midi retains editable state
4- expected behavior: item Y is editable.
5- use case issue: if you're editing track X's midi and then switch editability to track Y via lasso select, you still have midi from track X editable.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
mccrabney

this is an older one from previous pre threads, but with "selection linked to editability" enabled, doubleclicking midi items results in previously selected midi item being re-selected.

unselected items should always be uneditable with this setting checked, even if that means that it's possible to have no editable midi displayed in editor.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
mccrabney

Quote:
# MIDI editor: improve note folding behavior with multiple contexts
when you're saying "fold" you're talking about "View: Hide unused note rows" right?

lately, i've been zoomed to content, vertically, while hiding unused/unnamed notes. this works very well, until i add new notes that were previously hidden/folded. when i do this, the vertical zoom to content gets "borked" and you have to run "zoom to content" action again.

it'd be more elegant if the vertical zoom to used/named notes corrected as these notes were added to the editor, kind of like how "hide unused note rows" went from being a one-off action to being a toggle action sometime over the last few years.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:38 AM   #6
srdmusic

Default MIDI Editor - Multiple Items

I've noticed a few people post about this and I'm sure it's just some check box I'm missing but when I open the midi editor with multiple items selected. The top item stays selected but the all other items unselect themselves before opening the midi editor. I've tried a bunch of combinations within the midi editor's preferences as well as the Reaper preferences and can't get the previous behavior back. If I downgrade to 5.79 the Midi editor functions as intended.

Anyone else figure out how to fix this?
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrabney View Post
so far so good. i will keep testing.

meanwhile, i found this:

this might not have to do with this pre, but velocity bars on non-active track midi are hidden behind velocity bars from ghosted midi on other tracks, doubleclicking to activate the misbehaving midi items brings the velocity bars into visibility. this improvement is not reversed when you de-activate the item by moving to the next.

TLDR: the velocity bars for the selected track are "wrong" at the beginning of gif, and "right" at the end of gif.

Hmm not following this, can't tell from the .gif. Minimal project + instructions to reproduce?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by srdmusic View Post
I've noticed a few people post about this and I'm sure it's just some check box I'm missing but when I open the midi editor with multiple items selected. The top item stays selected but the all other items unselect themselves before opening the midi editor. I've tried a bunch of combinations within the midi editor's preferences as well as the Reaper preferences and can't get the previous behavior back. If I downgrade to 5.79 the Midi editor functions as intended.

Anyone else figure out how to fix this?
Perhaps this?

EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm not following this, can't tell from the .gif. Minimal project + instructions to reproduce?
sorry, i figured out that it's not related to this pre.

i'll try to send a prj over soon. meanwhile i found an easy way to reproduce. the issue is TCP order. the lower in TCP the midi track, the more buried it is by other track velocity bars.

steps:
1- create 4 busy midi tracks so there's a lot of velocity to look at
2- set one midi editor per project, opacity of 2, etc to see multi-track midi
3- open midi editor and observe the way the velocity bars look. close ME.
4- reconfigure your tracks in reverse TCP order
5- re-open midi editor and look at velocity handles.
issue- even when selected, "lower" tracks midi handles are difficult to see because they are obscured by higher TCP track velocity bars.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #10
snooks
Banned

I think the Track List behaviour is good now, but there's still an auto-zoom when clicking on an item. Maybe reserve that for a second click, so that the behaviour sort of mirrors the arrange?
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
I think the Track List behaviour is good now, but there's still an auto-zoom when clicking on an item. Maybe reserve that for a second click, so that the behaviour sort of mirrors the arrange?
To be fair the auto-zoom only happens if the item wasn't in view, which sort of feels appropriate... though I do see a point where it is handling looped items poorly (it wants the first loop to be visible, doh)

Last edited by Justin; 04-23-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
mccrabney

Quote:
this is an older one from previous pre threads, but with "selection linked to editability" enabled, doubleclicking midi items results in previously selected midi item being re-selected.

unselected items should always be uneditable with this setting checked, even if that means that it's possible to have no editable midi displayed in editor.
i'm better understanding the logic behind why this happens. i think i have a good workaround, so maybe disregard this.

REAPER is opening a midi item after all, and i suppose that if the midi's filename appears in the midi editor title bar, it wouldn't make sense to not show that midi data -- even if it was unselected.

i've been trying to use the midi editor like a single window into "midi-land" that disregards item bounds and just prints midi where it exists on the track, and makes it editable if selected.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:42 PM   #13
FnA

Zoom to selected notes fails a lot here. Especially when selected notes are before active item.

Using new portable created with pre6. Stuck with only phone internet so can't try rc1.

Is it supposed to zoom vertically too? It's not doing so.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:45 PM   #14
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
To be fair the auto-zoom only happens if the item wasn't in view, which sort of feels appropriate... though I do see a point where it is handling looped items poorly (it wants the first loop to be visible, doh)
Yeah, the issue I have is with varyingly sized items where auto-zooming is never appropriate with some (eg 1 note, 1 bar or less items). It makes sense in an audio editor context, but not for MIDI where the lovely rectangle's - basic visibility scale aside - information has an inverse relationship with zoom level.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:05 AM   #15
mawi

If you double-click the time scrollbar in the MIDI Editor, the looped MIDI item will zoom back to the size of the MIDI item and not to the size of the loop.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #16
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
Yeah, the issue I have is with varyingly sized items where auto-zooming is never appropriate with some (eg 1 note, 1 bar or less items). It makes sense in an audio editor context, but not for MIDI where the lovely rectangle's - basic visibility scale aside - information has an inverse relationship with zoom level.
agreed. "set minimum autozoom" would be nice.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #17
HighVoltage

+ MIDI editor: fix zoom to selected CC/notes with multiple contexts

Still borked a little bit.

If selection is BEFORE the active midi item, the zoom will extend to active midi item's left side.

http://prntscr.com/j9kjc0
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:37 PM   #18
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Zoom to selected notes fails a lot here. Especially when selected notes are before active item.
Here's a gif, rpp, and ini for that. Used 5.81pre1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Is it supposed to zoom vertically too? It's not doing so.
I guess it's good if there's this action, horizontally only. Would be nice to have zoom piano roll to selected events vertically only too.

Attached Files
File Type: rpp 2018-4-26 581pre1.RPP (6.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: ini reaper.ini (9.2 KB, 262 views)
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #19
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Perhaps this?

Thanks for trying. Nope. This does not work. When show all midi is selected it still deselects everything but the first midi region when opening the midi editor from the arrange view.

Updated testing 5.8.0 works but all the pre-releases for 5.8.1 are broken. I'll post as a bug.
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #20
EvilDragon

It works just fine over here... How is your selection linked to editability/visibility set up?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote