Old 05-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
LuCsa
Human being with feelings

Default Auto Routing

Hello Reapers,

maybe I'm a bit (read very) slow on the uptake, but I could not find a way (neither via random shortcut trial and error, nor via Google search) to do some automated track routing. I'm talking about a, e.g., Shift+Ctrl+Click way (like in ProTools) to assign all selected tracks with consecutive hardware output channels, for instance.

Is there a way to do these kind of things?

Kind regards,
Lukas

Last edited by LuCsa; 05-31-2018 at 04:41 AM.
LuCsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
Kenten

To do what you're describing, I think the fastest way would be to use the routing matrix (view - routing matrix).

There is a keyboard shortcut to assign a range of tracks to consecutive INPUTS, if that's something you're interested in. It comes with the SWS extensions, it's called "cascade selected track inputs."
Kenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #3
LuCsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenten View Post
To do what you're describing, I think the fastest way would be to use the routing matrix (view - routing matrix).

There is a keyboard shortcut to assign a range of tracks to consecutive INPUTS, if that's something you're interested in. It comes with the SWS extensions, it's called "cascade selected track inputs."
I was about to update that I found the cascading of the inputs, however, I'm specifically interested in doing that with sends/receives and outputs.

As for the routing matrix: Actually, it would be a simple change but saving you at least one click, if the "routing pop-up" (whether it is in the matrix or the mixer sends/inserts) appeared left or above the cursor. Because as soon as I set up the first send/..., I have to close it manually, in order to see the next track/routing cell to the right.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
LuCsa

So I guess, there is no auto incrementation for sends?

kind regards,
Lukas
Old 05-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuCsa View Post
As for the routing matrix: Actually, it would be a simple change but saving you at least one click, if the "routing pop-up" (whether it is in the matrix or the mixer sends/inserts) appeared left or above the cursor. Because as soon as I set up the first send/..., I have to close it manually, in order to see the next track/routing cell to the right.
Sounds like you're opening the routing matrix on the receiving tracks - if you open it from the send track, you can do all of the sends at once.

Quote:
So I guess, there is no auto incrementation for sends?
Not natively. A script could probably do it for you though.

If you're trying to set up multiple outputs from a VST (Kontakt or EZDrummer, say), you can open the VST track's FX chain, right-click the VST and choose "build multichannel routing" to create the output tracks automatically.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
LuCsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Sounds like you're opening the routing matrix on the receiving tracks - if you open it from the send track, you can do all of the sends at once.
If I'm not mistaken, both, sends and receives, offer a "add sends[receives] to all tracks". The dialog window that pops up next to the cursor is no different whether I open it up via a click on the route symbol in the Mixer/Track Panel or from within the routing matrix...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Not natively. A script could probably do it for you though.

If you're trying to set up multiple outputs from a VST (Kontakt or EZDrummer, say), you can open the VST track's FX chain, right-click the VST and choose "build multichannel routing" to create the output tracks automatically.
It's not about VST tracks. Actually, it's about routing the DAW tracks to an external mixing console in the studio for mixing. Record routing (mixer to DAW) via the "Assign inputs sequentially" menu item is pretty easy and straight forward. The other way around (DAW to mixer) is quite a "hassle" with about 4 clicks per track.

Sorry: I was always talking about SENDS, however, what I actually mean in this situation are HARDWARE OUTPUTS! (Still: Applying the same or incrementing routing options to a collection of selected tracks is a question of convenience.)

The reason for all this is not only my own comfort, but I'm also trying to introduce Reaper to the folks at my university... :P

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2019, 05:39 AM   #7
jackmilas

Quote:
I was about to update that I found the cascading of the inputs, however, I'm specifically interested in doing that with sends/receives and outputs.

Have you found anything for cascade outputs?
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
jackmilas

Just a reminder that it would be a great feature to have!
jackmilas is offline   Reply With Quote