Old 01-23-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
shane
Human being with feelings

Default Trivial requests

I'm just testing out 0.48 now. It seems like most of the major issues have already been taken care of, so I'm going to list some detail oriented requests as I break this thing in.

1) Clicking in the empty area beneath the tracks deselects all tracks. It's currently difficult (impossible?) to select a single track once you have them all selected. I had to add a new track and select it.

2) Arrow key associated start and end navigation. (Alt <- & Alt ->?)

3) Tracks can be minimized to smallest vertical height even when record enabled.

4) ` key minimizes all tracks, pressed again it alternates to one size larger, pressed again back to minimized.

5) Unless I'm missing something, it's not possible to drag the dividers between the different control areas (ie, widen the track section, heighten the mixer section). That would be nice.

6) It would be cool to see more tweakable style options, click choosing the main background and text colors. Obviously not a priority, but we are dealing with the innovator of skinnable audio apps...

Add: 7) Right click remove option on FX list.

A lot of these are behaviors from a certain other app that I'm used to, so...grain of salt.

I'm really impressed with the new version. The routing possibilities are now basically endless. While it can take a little work to get the multiple bus layers set up (tracks -> bus tracks for volume & pan adjustment -> bus master -> asio output) there's really nothing you can't do. I'm also digging the render/record live output options.

Can we maybe get some feedback on what and how to contribute?

Last edited by shane; 01-23-2006 at 09:44 PM.
shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

to go with 4) also CTRL SHIFT up arrow to raise track height and SHift Up arrow to zoom waveform height?

5) yes needs to happen sooner or later or well have a cubendo on our hands
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
neueWelt

As another small request, FLAC rendering support would also be greatly appreciated, as it is becoming the de facto open source lossless format. Also, I think I saw a note mentioning that you are already planing this, but more mp3 rendering options would also be helpfull. Thanks a lot for the great software.
neueWelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane
1) Clicking in the empty area beneath the tracks deselects all tracks. It's currently difficult (impossible?) to select a single track once you have them all selected. I had to add a new track and select it.

2) Arrow key associated start and end navigation. (Alt <- & Alt ->?)

3) Tracks can be minimized to smallest vertical height even when record enabled.

4) ` key minimizes all tracks, pressed again it alternates to one size larger, pressed again back to minimized.

5) Unless I'm missing something, it's not possible to drag the dividers between the different control areas (ie, widen the track section, heighten the mixer section). That would be nice.

6) It would be cool to see more tweakable style options, click choosing the main background and text colors. Obviously not a priority, but we are dealing with the innovator of skinnable audio apps...

Add: 7) Right click remove option on FX list.

I appreciate all of these comments, here is my response:

1) For now you can ctrl+click the track to unselect it, then click it to select it. I agree with you this is a pain, so I'll make it so clicking outside of all tracks unselects all tracks, per your suggestion.

2) Home/End do it now, if it's really important I can attach alt+left/right, but I'm kinda thinking I have other ideas for them...

3) Preferences/Recordings/"Always Show Recording Source on Armed Tracks", uncheck that. Though I suppose it could be named more clearly.

4) will do

5) That is correct, and at some point I will address it, but in general it's a pain in the ass.

6) you mean dialog colors, as opposed to the already configurable track view?

7) right clicking the FX button in the track controls, correct?

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
2) Home/End do it now, if it's really important I can attach alt+left/right, but I'm kinda thinking I have other ideas for them...
Cool, not really important.

Quote:
6) you mean dialog colors, as opposed to the already configurable track view?
Not necessarily the dialogs, unless I'm misunderstanding, but the background/text colors of the track listing and mixer areas, stuff like that. This may be kinda overkill.

Quote:
7) right clicking the FX button in the track controls, correct?
Right.

Seriously man, nice work. I'll be using it on an 18 track session this Sunday and I'm not having any problems with these test runs.

I'm just gonna keep them coming:

8) A way to zero out the volume and pan sliders. Double clicking, ctrl-clicking, or alt-clicking.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Cool, not really important.

Not necessarily the dialogs, unless I'm misunderstanding, but the background/text colors of the track listing and mixer areas, stuff like that. This may be kinda overkill.
Right.

Seriously man, nice work. I'll be using it on an 18 track session this Sunday and I'm not having any problems with these test runs.

I'm just gonna keep them coming:

8) A way to zero out the volume and pan sliders. Double clicking, ctrl-clicking, or alt-clicking.
Awesome. For 8): doubleclick the text readout (where it says +x.xxdB or 30%L). But I'm also going to add a right click->set to value box too.

-Justin
Old 01-23-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

You know, if you just bypass the effects, they don't run.. is it really that important to be able to quickly remove the whole chain? You can open it and select all of them and delete...
Old 01-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
shane

Quote:
Awesome. For 8): doubleclick the text readout (where it says +x.xxdB or 30%L). But I'm also going to add a right click->set to value box too.
Gah, I'm a dumbass. Expect more of that. Yeah, that's good.

Quote:
You know, if you just bypass the effects, they don't run.. is it really that important to be able to quickly remove the whole chain? You can open it and select all of them and delete...
It's not really important, it's just intuitive in a situation like that. All hail right click...it's what separates us from the Mac users.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
All hail right click...it's what separates us from the Mac users.
Indeed!!!

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Old 01-24-2006, 02:02 AM   #10
weevil

Quote:
5) That is correct, and at some point I will address it, but in general it's a pain in the ass.
That is a massive one for me, I am a serious interface junkie. I’m watching the program closely but can’t really use it yet because of things like 5.

I need everything to be all neat and tidy and in the right place before I can start work.
weevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:03 AM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil
That is a massive one for me, I am a serious interface junkie. I’m watching the program closely but can’t really use it yet because of things like 5.

I need everything to be all neat and tidy and in the right place before I can start work.
Well the mixer view is completely removeable and dockable, so is it more about wanting to size up the track headers or size down them?

-Justin
Old 01-24-2006, 02:07 AM   #12
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Stretching them left and right may be one of his concerns, its something that allows you to spread vegas across two monitors easily and keep the divider between channel header and track view
Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
Stretching them left and right may be one of his concerns, its something that allows you to spread vegas across two monitors easily and keep the divider between channel header and track view
But do you really need the track header to take up a whole monitor??

The real reason I ask is so I can decide if I just need to make the track headers stretchable (easier), or stretchable and shrinkable as well (a bit more work).

-Justin
Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 AM   #14
weevil

Been playing around on my home system:

045 worked without any problems but 049 crashes on load.

What system specs do you want?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:25 AM   #15
shane

I personally can't imagine wanting to shrink the track headers smaller than the width of all the buttons, so if you do decide to make them shrinkable maybe just make the scribble strip shrink. Seems like it would be easier.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:26 AM   #16
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
But do you really need the track header to take up a whole monitor??

The real reason I ask is so I can decide if I just need to make the track headers stretchable (easier), or stretchable and shrinkable as well (a bit more work).

-Justin
No they dont really take up the whole monitor, just enough of it...Weevil will prolly have a different view but heres how mine looks normally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myscreen.jpg (17.6 KB, 583 views)
Old 01-24-2006, 02:33 AM   #17
weevil

Quote:
Well the mixer view is completely removeable and dockable, so is it more about wanting to size up the track headers or size down them?

-Justin
Personally I want it docked all the time. I absolutely hate floating windows with a passion and they are generally frowned upon by ‘interface people’.

Sometimes I want to make it bigger and sometimes smaller, I just want to be able to scale it quickly by grabbing it and dragging it.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:37 AM   #18
weevil

Quote:
No they dont really take up the whole monitor, just enough of it...Weevil will prolly have a different view but heres how mine looks normally
WOW! You are a crazy man.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:44 AM   #19
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevil
WOW! You are a crazy man.
This view works well for what I normally have to do, it goes:

1: Use the entire right monitor to start editing drum tracks and things

2: Start cussing and insulting the band once the edits get around 200 splits for the first verse

3: Find that no matter what I stretch, crossfade or move, there are some things that WILL NOT work

4: send the band home, violently

5: Reach for the top left of the left monitor into the explorer and drag in some cymbal samples or something that will ease the problem transitions

6: Use that right half of the left monitor to mix stuff

7: render to 2 track, have the band over for a listen and curse LOUDLY inside my head when the drummer goes " damn I play TIGHT yo!"
Old 01-24-2006, 03:08 AM   #20
weevil

Quote:
This view works well for what I normally have to do, it goes:

2: Start cussing and insulting the band once the edits get around 200 splits for the first verse

3: Find that no matter what I stretch, crossfade or move, there are some things that WILL NOT work

4: send the band home, violently

5: Reach for the top left of the left monitor into the explorer and drag in some cymbal samples or something that will ease the problem transitions

6: Use that right half of the left monitor to mix stuff

7: render to 2 track, have the band over for a listen and curse LOUDLY inside my head when the drummer goes " damn I play TIGHT yo!"
For the first time in my life I am about to put together a small studio setup. I get all my production work through word of mouth but I was thinking about letting the general public in to my new place as well...You just talked me out of it.