Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #1
Jeahvel
Human being with feelings

Default Using .mogg to archive...

I know that there have been numerous posts concerning .mogg files in the past…but they all seem to be about opening all those Rock Band & Guitar Hero files that are floating around on the Internet. That’s not my concern today.

I’ve actually had several of these RB/GH files passed along to me to play around with and what intrigued me was how this single 50MB or so .mogg file would explode into an almost 10-times bigger .wav format multitrack file. I immediately thought .mogg could be a cool way to archive some of my old projects.

I have a few "oldies" that I don’t want to throw away but would like to preserve in some fashion that won't take up as much hard drive space. I realize this format is far from perfect but it would more than suit my needs in this instance.

So what I’d like to know is whether we as Reaper-ites can create these little jewels for ourselves. I’ve poked around over the last couple of days trying to figure out how to do it (either by rendering or exporting) but for the life of me can’t seem to hit upon the right formula to make it happen.

Is there anyone out there that has worked with creating an .mogg using Reaper?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by Jeahvel; 09-24-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Jeahvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
Smurf

That is a great question, I would be very interested in this also!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Jeahvel

Thanks for your interest Smurf. I'm hopeful that there's someone that knows how this is done. After all, .mogg is listed as one of the writable formats that Reaper is capable of producing... So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one of the tech guys can spell it out for us...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Jeahvel

I am refreshing this post to keep it alive…a casual ‘bump’ to the top in other words…and also adding a copy of the post to the General Discussions forum. My hope is that one (or more) of the developers (those guys whose tireless efforts make Reaper the awesome program that it is) will see this and perhaps have an answer…

Thanks to all that are following this post that are, like me, anxiously awaiting an answer…
Old 09-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
shoyoninja

Sorry if it is a silly question, but wouldnt it be much better to simply consolidate the whole project using vorbis ogg?

The compression is the same, and this way, you would keep the project structure as well.
shoyoninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
Jeahvel

Shoyoninja...

Thanks for responding. I'm always humbled by the amount of knowledge floating around in these forums.

I'm not really very well versed in all the ins and outs of different formats and what makes more sense than others. I'm sure that your suggestion is absolutely correct and would beat the heck out of an .mogg file...so yours is not a silly question in the least. I do appreciate you taking the time to offer me a different solution.

So now I'm left with trying to resolve what I thought (when I started this post) was a simple riddle.

Does Reaper offer .mogg as a writable format?
(http://www.cockos.com/reaper/technical.php)

If so, how do we go about doing it?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
shoyoninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeahvel View Post
Shoyoninja...

Thanks for responding. I'm always humbled by the amount of knowledge floating around in these forums.

I'm not really very well versed in all the ins and outs of different formats and what makes more sense than others. I'm sure that your suggestion is absolutely correct and would beat the heck out of an .mogg file...so yours is not a silly question in the least. I do appreciate you taking the time to offer me a different solution.

So now I'm left with trying to resolve what I thought (when I started this post) was a simple riddle.

Does Reaper offer .mogg as a writable format?
(http://www.cockos.com/reaper/technical.php)

If so, how do we go about doing it?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply...
No problem man, lets see if this helps:

.mogg files are just special containers of ogg encoded audio. The only purpose of it is to hold multichannel ogg audio for playback purposes. For example a 8 channel surround track, or the tracks for a game like guitar hero. It could be used as a way to store audio on a DAW like Reaper, but I dont see how the system would benefit from it (there would be extra overhead due to the playback optimized encapsulation). Also they were designed for simultaneous and linear reproduction.

I've never done this, but if you create a multichannel master, tell Reaper to render the multichannel master into a multichannel file (there is an option to do this under the Render menu) and select Vorbis Ogg as the audio codec, I think that Reaper will create a .mogg file. So, you could just send audio from each track into separate channels on the master and then render it all together. I strongly advise against it since:

- You would have a lot of work to get it done;
- You would get the same compression rate you would if you used common .ogg files;
- .mogg cannot hold the project data;
- Later, if you wanted to do something with any of these projects, you would have lots of extra work to import them back into Reaper and set the whole mix back as you wanted.

Instead, just use the consolidate option with Vorbis Ogg file format and tell reaper to rebuild the project using the consolidated audio. This way you will get a folder with .ogg compressed audio files for each track and a project file with your mix info. Later, if you want to edit the project, you just have to open it up.

In this case, the best possible container is a folder.

Hope it helps! GL
shoyoninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Jeahvel

Thank you...

I'm going to give this a try. It sounds like it would be a better solution insofar as any future dealings with the file since the mix info would remain intact.

Thanks again...
Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Smurf

This is great info, Thank's Folks!
Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Irockus

Default Creating MOGG files from your tracks in Reaper

See attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip TO CREATE AN MOGG FILE FROM REAPER.zip (314.4 KB, 243 views)
Irockus is offline   Reply With Quote