Old 10-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
misterC
Human being with feelings

Default Recording VSTi

OK so I've got a setup for my NI B4 2...

Here's how it goes so far.

Two tracks, with midi inputs. Track one has the B4 VSTi loaded, and has my 25 key keyboard on MIDI channel 2, which plays the lower manual of the B4. Track 2 has another midi keyboard, with an input of MIDI channel 1. I use a track send from Track 2 to Track 1 for midi only, so that the B4 VSTi gets midi channel 1 from track 2 for the upper manual.

All that works great. Now for recording. I can record midi fine, (set both tracks to record input, great - now I get midi files recorded on each track for it's respective manual) But if I want to record just the output of the VSTi, I have to select "Record Output only", which gets the output of the VSTi and records it to track 1 (as it's hosting the VSTi on its FX chain)

But if I ever want to do another take, etc, it's recording all output on Track 1, so it records the output of the recorded take PLUS the output of the VSTi (the 2nd take I'm trying to record). So I thought, I can setup a Track 3, send track 1's output to track 3, then record there. That way, If I need to do another take, I can just set to record input on Track 3, and problem is solved - all VSTi audio generated is sent from track 1 to track 3 and recorded on Input of track 3, instead of output of track 1. But the issue is, I can't record a "receive" from track 1. I can only select midi or hardware inputs to record.... UGH!

Any ideas here? Tell me I'm doing something wrong. I guess the issue here is I need to figure out how to record only the output of the VSTi in the FX chain and not the output of any audio files previously recorded on the track.

Last edited by misterC; 10-07-2007 at 08:25 AM. Reason: tried to explain better....
misterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
arbogast

how about muting the item(s) you dont want recorded - R-click item -> mute?

that's my suggestion - someone else is bound to have a better one
arbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
misterC

OK.. I'm still new to Reaper so it took a second to figure it out. I was looking at the wrong menu, but I figured out how to mute the item. Thanks.

I guess that works - but the question still remains, is there a better way to record the output of a VSTi that is in the FX chain of a track?
misterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
arbogast

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterC View Post
... is there a better way to record the output of a VSTi that is in the FX chain of a track?
There certainly is. Record as many takes as you like, but record only the midi. Then, when you've found the perfect take, select the track containing the VSTi and select render in the file menu:

And click the render button of course. Hope this helps.

Last edited by arbogast; 10-07-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: ugly friggin' typo
arbogast is offline   Reply With Quote