Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 PM   #761
MrJones
Human being with feelings

This arp has a nice interface and all, but (all those bullet points refer to 0.90rc):

* It doesn't seem to react stable with fixed chords (instead I often need "stairs" of notes that hint it the right direction)

* I've had it horribly mess up the timing just in realtime mode and nobody here could tell me how to fix it. I had to eventually work with this arp in mixing totally messed up and hope it would turn out fine on render. This happened just in one project with one track randomly - see also post above

* I've just had this arp have random stuck notes I can't get rid of in a very advanced project and I might have to rip it out because it just doesn't behave. This also happened just in one project with one track randomly

The two incidents are rare, but they did happen and since Kontakt and other VSTis never caused me similarly grave issues ever, it has to be some deeply hidden technical problem with this arp. It would be nice if the timing code was finally overhauled and fixed, otherwise it's kinda hard to recommend this for serious use

An additional information: arp!0 also sometimes starts to really jitter really badly with larger buffer sizes similar to the East West PLAY plugin and tattoo's damage drum plugin, and for both their support admitted to me that their timing code was broken..

TL;DR: it is nice when it works, but it has in rare cases broken on me catastrophically with no ways to fix it, and always making "stairs" of notes can be annoying

Last edited by MrJones; 03-03-2016 at 08:06 PM.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #762
FelixMagi

Thanks for this great work!!! a bit too complicated for what I need but working
FelixMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #763
SBK

Hello I need help for installation Should I load something in Reaper?
Thanks
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #764
DarkStar

How to install a JS FX (in Post #4)
Old 08-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #765
SBK

Hi DarkStar thank you, but I did what the installation guide said. And I found it already in the JS fx.

Nice ARP man!!! Perfect thank you so much!
SBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #766
audiomon

Default One of my favourite tools!

Thank you very much for this beautiful piece of code! Very creative, inspirational and feature-rich.
P.S. I love the approach on the interface too
audiomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #767
bilsner

Just downloaded this and started playing, can't believe I never noticed it before it's an IDM riff dream, thanks so much for this. There's a lot I don't quite understand yet but I'm looking thru the pdf right now. Was curious is there an easy way to record the output for editing the randomness ?
bilsner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #768
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang View Post
thanks for that info.
Would you update it to 1.0 version ever? It's unbelievable cool!
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #769
X-Raym

Definitely one of the best arpeggio, thank you for sharing !!
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #770
kawa_

I think Too. Best arpeggio Tool. Thank you much. !
Old 04-02-2017, 05:02 AM   #771
run_esc

Was messing around with arp!0 last night -- fantastic!

Reminds me a little of Cthulhu, with the different loop lengths for different arp parameters, you can make "endless", evolving songs on it with a few notes.

The looped CC outputs are great, connect those to the filter cutoff of the synth you're driving (for example)

I've not used it for anything serious and would hesitate to do so, given timing/stability issues mentioned in this thread (also, I have Cthulhu, which is very similar), but I haven't seen any serious issues yet on a Win 10/64 machine. And it's easily one of the most fun arps I've used.

whatsup's comparable jsfx Super Arpeggiator (GUI version), however, is showing its age, I've found -- actually crashed Reaper for me.
run_esc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:55 AM   #772
Ulf3000

somehow it doesn´t spit out any midi data ... put the midi logger behind it , nothing , synth nothing

installation is correct , it shows its running but no midi out . reaper 5.28
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:22 PM   #773
Auralviolence

I'm a newbie, using this great arp just for 2 days I would like to ask: does it have somekind of "retrigger" mode, so the arp sequencer position would reset to the start on every new note ?
Auralviolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #774
Jerok

Hello.
When finding my way over to reaper from cubase i have been looking for things i missed in cubase to se if reaper has it.
THIS is by far the most fun and usefull arp i have used..
spent 10 min in it and was feeling so many fun things to use..
Thank you so mutch.
Jerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:59 AM   #775
ultravoss

Thank you very much for this fine tool. After 1 hour of dabbling around with it I only have a superficial understanding of the capabilities and the operation, but I find the gui very intuitive and it is easy to produce output that sounds really musical.
ultravoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:43 PM   #776
bang

hi folks. thanks for the kind words. sadly, arp!0 is kind of a code dinosaur at this point, & i just don't have time to overhaul it. so it is what it is.

fyi, i have a new simple looping delay fx: wayback. forum thread here: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=233734.

sorry to have been absent. i have so little social energy these days. enjoy! /dan
bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:29 AM   #777
TonE

Quote:
i have so little social energy these days.
But why, is everything ok?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #778
alex_

Hi great tool, thanks Dan!

Regarding accents and velocity - is it possible to make 64 or 128 steps work? I have tried to expand the steps in the code, with no success. Could you give me some pointers on how to work this out?

I know, for this amount of steps I need quite a bit of screen space, it should be ok though
alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #779
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ View Post
Regarding accents and velocity - is it possible to make 64 or 128 steps work? I have tried to expand the steps in the code, with no success. Could you give me some pointers on how to work this out?
hi Alex. i don't think that's realistic at this point. 32 steps max is hard coded too many places. :^P and because arp!0 was written before Jsfx had functions, it's just too big and awkward and out of date to resurrect. sorry. /dan
Old 05-18-2020, 10:52 AM   #780
alex_

Quote:
hi Alex. i don't think that's realistic at this point. 32 steps max is hard coded too many places. :^P and because arp!0 was written before Jsfx had functions, it's just too big and awkward and out of date to resurrect. sorry. /dan
I totally understand, thanks for clarifying!
alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #781
vsgrt

Quote:
sorry to have been absent. i have so little social energy these days. enjoy! /dan
hey dan, i relate to this a lot. i really appreciate your wayback looper so much - it has been a huge creative boost for me these last weeks when i needed the most. seriously, thanks a lot. take care, and know that we enjoy whatever you choose to put out there, at your own pace and rhythm. never any expectation, just appreciation!
vsgrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:53 AM   #782
bang

thanks for your kind words vsgrt. very good to hear that wayback is helpful. echoes & loops are deeply connected with our sense of conscious being i think. echoes convey a tangible sense of existing in time. identity is a thought loop?! fascinating stuff. for me, wayback is a super-fun playground for exploring time and being in music. :^) crazy ways for crazy days. be well & enjoy! /dan
Old 09-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #783
kaiestro

Hey Dan, thanks for giving us this arp. It's pretty fun. One issue I had though is that the loop of arpaggieation will stop even while I'm still holding the note down. I tested with the arp disabled and my piano vst was still holding the note down for longer than it got stopped with the arp. It appears to be of random duration that the note will stay active before getting stopped. Is there a setting controlling this? Thanks
kaiestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:10 AM   #784
bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiestro View Post
Hey Dan, thanks for giving us this arp. It's pretty fun. One issue I had though is that the loop of arpaggieation will stop even while I'm still holding the note down. [...]
been too long kaiestro, so can't be much help. years since i did any synths/arp!0. i'd put the Js midi monitor before and after arp!0 to confirm arp!0 is sending note off too soon. and check the active notes display at the bottom to see if arp!0 'thinks' it's still holding the note or not. but as i've said, arp!0 is obsolete. sorry. /dan
Old 11-13-2021, 05:38 AM   #785
souk21

Just wanted to say thank you for such an amazing plugin.
I love it
souk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 03:58 PM   #786
Ears

Thanks, this was a really nice arp and I got a lot of use out of it.

Unfortunately it's no longer useable for me in Reaper V7, the ticks don't behave properly on bars 1, bars 9 through 16.. Probably there is some pattern as you go on. I'm aware it's been obsolete for a few years now though.

Has anyone encountered the same problem, and tinkered with the code to get it working again? Or perhaps made/found a 1:1 replacement? Have a mega arp!0 in the works?

Please let me know, I love and miss arp!0.
Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 12:54 AM   #787
souk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ears View Post
Thanks, this was a really nice arp and I got a lot of use out of it.

Unfortunately it's no longer useable for me in Reaper V7, the ticks don't behave properly on bars 1, bars 9 through 16.. Probably there is some pattern as you go on. I'm aware it's been obsolete for a few years now though.

Has anyone encountered the same problem, and tinkered with the code to get it working again? Or perhaps made/found a 1:1 replacement? Have a mega arp!0 in the works?

I'm still using this with v7 and didn't notice any behavior change from v6.
I know the results of the arp are blocksize-dependent though (the bigger the buffer the less it plays in time), that might be what you're experiencing?
Old 02-05-2024, 07:58 AM   #788
Scrumpy Jack

Quote:

I'm still using arp!0 in v7 and thankfully haven't seen this. I've tinkered with the code a few times to add hidpi support, but it's pretty forbidding―IIRC, bang needed to use a preprocessor to generate most of it, because that far back JSFX didn't support functions.

I hope you get it working again, because sadly there is nothing on or off the market that comes close to a 1:1 replacement for arp!0's features (Or UI. Or just plain ease of groove-smithing.)

Last edited by Scrumpy Jack; 02-14-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Scrumpy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:28 AM   #789
Ears

Thank you for your replies.

What OS are you both using? It's good to know it's still working for you, I will keep digging.

Changing the block size didn't work unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souk21 View Post
there is nothing on or off the market that comes close to a 1:1 replacement for arp!0's features (Or UI. Or just plain ease of groove-smithing.)
Yes, it's really a combination of all this that makes it so great to use. I haven't found anything that comes close either.

____

This is the outcome on both my Win 10 systems, one with a fresh install of both Reaper and arp!0. Same outcome whether I use my midi keyboard, or send midi from another track.

1/4, 1/8, 1/16.

If I ever find a fix I'll bump this post for any future victims.

Last edited by Ears; 02-05-2024 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Edit: Solved by changing sample rate to 44.1k / 88.2k
Old 02-05-2024, 12:36 PM   #790
IXix

fwiw it still works here, although the gfx are too small to be useful and the code is too hard for me to follow. Fixing it is beyond my skills.

Win11, Reaper 7.09 x64
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 01:01 PM   #791
Subz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TIULCfOBYY&t=311s

WTAF!!!!!

In a free script/plugin?

Amazing!

Subz
Subz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:52 PM   #792
souk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumpy Jack View Post
I've tinkered with the code a few times to add hidpi support, but it's pretty forbidding―IIRC, bang needed to use a preprocessor to generate most of it, because that far back JSFX didn't support functions.
I didn't know it was mostly generated code, and that feels kinda reassuring
I had to make a couple of mods over the years, and every time has been a wild ride I managed to ugly-hack some stuff, but I've quickly given up on any major modification of the source code (like blocksize independence). I figured it would be easier to start something from scratch.
Even with all the new features of JSFX, that's still quite an undertaking! Fortunately, for me, the rough edges have yet to outweigh all the good stuff this beautiful plugin already offers

@Ears: I'm on OSX, and just did a sanity check; it works fine with a setup similar to your screenshot
Old 02-05-2024, 04:02 PM   #793
Ears

Changing my sample rate to 44.1k / 88.2kHz on my Focusrite fixed the problem.. Arp!0's back, depression over. Not sure why 48kHz messes it up. Thanks for all replying that it was working for you, otherwise I would have just summed it up to being outdated..
Old 02-06-2024, 03:37 AM   #794
Subz

Are there any presets for this floating about?

Subz
Subz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:59 AM   #795
souk21

Quote:
Changing my sample rate to 44.1k / 88.2kHz on my Focusrite fixed the problem.. Arp!0's back, depression over.
Glad you found a fix!
Good to know it's sample rate dependent as well
Old 02-14-2024, 11:13 AM   #796
Hael.an

I am so impressed with this plugin it's so incredibly fun to play. I am running into an issue where I map my controller to momentarily turn on and off hold but when I release the button hold does not stop even though the switch is momentary. Then I realized I could not map stop all notes. My goal is to play my keyboard while turning on and off hold to reset and build new arps in real time. Is it possible to map note off in some way? Thank you so much.
Hael.an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:57 PM   #797
souk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hael.an View Post
I am so impressed with this plugin it's so incredibly fun to play. I am running into an issue where I map my controller to momentarily turn on and off hold but when I release the button hold does not stop even though the switch is momentary. Then I realized I could not map stop all notes. My goal is to play my keyboard while turning on and off hold to reset and build new arps in real time. Is it possible to map note off in some way? Thank you so much.
Here is a version with a "clear notes" parameter. You can set it to 1 when you want to reset notes
Attached Files
File Type: zip arpbangmod.zip (44.0 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-15-2024, 03:36 PM   #798
Hael.an

Thank you saint Souk21. Not sure what you mean set it to 1? You mean the value of the CC Button?
Hael.an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:25 PM   #799
souk21

Basically I meant that you need to map your controller's button to this parameter.
When you press your controller, the "clear notes" JSFX parameter should be set to 1.0

Let me know if that works
Old 03-08-2024, 03:07 PM   #800
Chris-S

Hi,
Reaper 7.11: Every 16th step or so there is a small delay/gap while playing.

Bug?
Chris-S is offline   Reply With Quote