Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 03-29-2023, 07:40 AM   #1
Thiemenator
Human being with feelings

Default Using internal fx, programs, combis... via MIDI on Korg N364

Hi y'all,

I'm working on a project and wanted to use my old Korg workstation via MIDI, so I can quantize it more easily. However I ran into a roadblock where I can't seem to get my internal Programs etc. loaded in Reaper. It detects them in the General MIDI bank but I don't get any sound out of it.

How do I work around this?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: png Schermafbeelding 2023-03-29 164037.png (95.5 KB, 46 views)
Thiemenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:48 AM   #2
Wallaby

Default VST instrument

This is not a soundsoftware this Midi FX can not produce any sound.
You have to load an instrument, ReaSynth for example.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 07:57 AM   #3
Thiemenator

I know how to use it as a MIDI controller, but that's not the point of my question. I want to use it as a MIDI controller along side it's own Programs and Combi's, so in the same manner as a VST instrument, but directly pulled from the workstation.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:13 PM   #4
LugNut

You need to put the korg in local off, then add a midi send to the reaper track that goes to your internal sound module in your korg. Making sure to match midi channels. Oh and arm the reaper track with monitor on.

Reacontrol midi gm bank and any bank is a remote control for hardware or software vstis. It does not make sound.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 05:11 AM   #5
Thiemenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
then add a midi send to the reaper track that goes to your internal sound module in your korg.
And how can I do that? Just MIDI Hardware Output? If so, then I'm still getting no sound... Rec arm and monitoring are enabled

Last edited by Thiemenator; 03-30-2023 at 05:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:42 PM   #6
LugNut

Do you have the audio output of the korg connected to headphones/or speakers or your audio interface?
Old 04-02-2023, 02:32 AM   #7
Thiemenator

I have MIDI in, out and jack input plugged in
Old 04-02-2023, 08:32 PM   #8
LugNut

How do you expect to hear the korgs internal sounds?
Midi carries no audio data.

What is jack input?
Old 04-03-2023, 01:56 PM   #9
Thiemenator

With jack input I mean audio out (we call 3.5mm "jacks").

I'll try to explain my intentions differently:
my dad used to be able to use MIDI IN and OUT (viewed from Korg) on a track so that MIDI OUT would be the controller and MIDI IN send the program/combi to the DAW (at the time Cubase 2). However he was also able to save that program/combi on the track in Cubase like a VST, and so when he changed the program on the Korg (to record on a different track), the first program remained on the first track. I would like to recreate that in Reaper if possible.

Maybe he also used audio out, but he doesn't remember.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:23 PM   #10
LugNut

http://planet-groove.com/cakewalk/korg_n364.zip

Hi,

I think I know what's happening. Your dad probably had a vst on his xp machine called an n364 editor librarian. Its a visual remote control that sends/received midi data to and from the keyboard. Ur dad could request all the programs/combinations, and the vst would suck out the paramters data and display it on the PC. The only one I could find for modern OS's is midi quest@ 100$. Or you might be able to get the xp editor...sound tower I think its called...to run on your current PC.

Now, create 8 tracks in reaper. Put a hardware midi send on each one. Make each hardware send midi on incrementing midi channels. Track 1 midi CH 1.....track 2 midi CH 2... And so on.

Arm and turn on monitor on all 8 tracks. Make sure that the input of each track is set to the korgs midi and set the midi channel to the same number as the track's number.

I have to pause....but plug a set of headphones into the korg so you can hear it. I'll be back.
No sound will be coming out of reaper, just the midi signals from the korg go into the track, get recorded the get sent back to the midi in of the korg to produce a sound in response to that midi channel. Phew!

OK....
First, make sure you can hear the korg when you hit the keys. Sound should come out the headphones.

On the korg there should be a global button. In there there should be some midi parameters...you are looking for Local Off. If its on, and you play your keyboard thru reaper, the synth will play 2 notes for every one you actually play.

Now its up to you. Grab the korg manual and find out how to access the sounds. There should be Programs/Comb is/and could have a way to access tracks in thge korgs sequencer.
Also, find out how to change the midi transmit channel on the korg. In this way, by changing the midi transmit channel you control which sound and reaper track according to channel #.

GL Mr Phelps:-)

Edit. There may be a reabank for the korg on the stash. It is the names of the stock programs selectable via midi program change.

Ahh I found one.. Should work..link at top

Last edited by LugNut; 04-04-2023 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2023, 04:46 AM   #11
Thiemenator

WOW! A ginormous thank you to you, sir! Maybe my dad still has the floppy disk for his Cubase and I can find some way to pull it, cos that VST is a bit out of budget rn ;-)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:46 AM   #12
LugNut

Hi,

You're welcome.

But, I don't think that editor is part of cubase. It was a seperate vst I think.and it might not run on modern windows....
But, with that reabank file and some setting up the korg, you should be set.