Old 03-19-2023, 05:13 AM   #1
AudioLemon
Human being with feelings

Default Fullscreen on MBP problems

When I go into fullscreen, parts of my custom toolbar which is set to (at top of main window) are hidden underneath the camera notch. Fullscreen on most other apps moves the app to just below the camera notch with a black bar running along the top. The black bar displays the menus when you bring your mouse up to it.

Another issue is that when you go into fullscreen the window sizing buttons are completely removed, even when you bring your mouse to the top of the screen. This means you have to press a keyboard shortcut or use the view menu. I can see no other way to get out of fullscreen. This is unexpected behaviour and not seen in other apps while in fullscreen.

Can anybody confirm this behaviour or suggest a solution.

Reaper v6.78/MacOS-arm64 (Mar 14 2023) - MacBook Pro Apple M2
AudioLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:47 PM   #2
skylar_battles

I also have a 2023 MacBook Pro with an M2 running the same exact Reaper install as you.

I have the transport above my custom toolbar and neither of them are getting cut off by the camera notch.

The weird behavior I'm noticing is that there is a little orange dot in the top right of the screen when in full screen. It looks identical to the orange dot in the "top bar" that denotes microphone access in applications.

Not certain what you mean on the second point. Toggling zoom from the view menu or toggling it via a keystroke seem to both work as expected for me. Please do elaborate
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:12 PM   #3
nepenthe

Try going to Reaper preferences: General: Advanced UI/System Tweaks
Uncheck "main window fullscreen button activates Reaper-native fullscreen". There are some other useful options in that section which are worth experimenting with.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:26 PM   #4
skylar_battles

Mine seemed to be unchecked by default but I tried checking and toggling fullscreen and didn't notice any differences.

Using 1.35 scale UI on a monitor is a big help for me!
Old 03-19-2023, 07:46 PM   #5
nepenthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar_battles View Post
Mine seemed to be unchecked by default but I tried checking and toggling fullscreen and didn't notice any differences.

Using 1.35 scale UI on a monitor is a big help for me!
Reaper's native fullscreen mode doesn't show the Mac OS stoplight buttons on the top left. So, in the absence of the green fullscreen stoplight button, there is no way to exit fullscreen mode without going to the View menu or using a keyboard shortcut. It sounds like this is what the OP may be experiencing. Just a guess though.

The orange dot is just the Mac OS warning you that an application is using your microphone or audio interface in such a way that could result in you being recorded. Similar to the green camera light.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:31 PM   #6
skylar_battles

hmmm the Reaper native fullscreen option for me doesn't remove the orange stoplight dot from the view. How can I this to work properly?
Old 03-20-2023, 03:08 AM   #7
mlprod

Quote:
hmmm the Reaper native fullscreen option for me doesn't remove the orange stoplight dot from the view. How can I this to work properly?
Propabably you can't, it's a MacOS thing.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:52 AM   #8
AudioLemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepenthe View Post
Try going to Reaper preferences: General: Advanced UI/System Tweaks
Uncheck "main window fullscreen button activates Reaper-native fullscreen". There are some other useful options in that section which are worth experimenting with.

That was exactly it. I must have pressed it while messing with the preferences. Thank you very much
AudioLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 08:06 AM   #9
nepenthe

Quote:
There's no way to turn it off. But there are some 3rd party tools like yellowdot and undot which can make it go away.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:27 PM   #10
skylar_battles

Happy to hear it's a least normal. For now I'll pass on installing the 3rd party stuff to get rid of it but I do appreciate you sharing the resources!