Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 03-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
e4r104
Human being with feelings

Default Combining two MIDI notes or CC commands to create a new one

I've been really enjoying setting up live configs and have found it along with many of the SWS scripts to be extraordinarily useful. I have an 8 button midi foot pedal I made using a joystick pcb.

Reaper allows standard windows joysticks to come in as midi devices and it outputs the button presses as notes. I've taken the notes and sent them through 8 instances of MIDI Route Note to Channel and split each note on to it's own channel. From there, each individual note is passed to a corresponding MIDI convert to CC where they are put on to a common CC# and assigned an incrementing CC value. The CC output is all on a common channel which then goes to MIDItoReaControlPath which allows Live configs to easily pick the output up. Convoluted yes, but it works great and the scripts are not exactly cpu taxing, so having a bunch of them isn't really a big deal.

I created some Cycle actions to change the config banks (for lack of a better term) in Live configs. I have them mapped to a touch screen button. I was hoping to find a way to map functions to a simultaneous button press so I could advance through the different Live Config setups.

Suffice to say, I haven't found a script or plugin that helps me to detect a combination of midi inputs and convert them to a unique, individual output (this could be a note, pc or cc, doesn't matter, just something). Is anyone aware of something that could help with this challenge?
e4r104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
mschnell

Hmm

What exactly do you mean by "combinati0n of midi inputs"
I suppose you mean "at the same time".

This is a complex issue, but very likely could be done by a dedicated JSFX. With CCs you would need to measure the time (e.g. to distinguish a doubleclick from two clicks), which might be rather clumsy. With Notes it could be more straight-forward, if your funny device does note-on / note-off when pressing and releasing a button, tapping two buttons simultaneously could easily be detected.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 08:13 PM   #3
e4r104

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Hmm

What exactly do you mean by "combinati0n of midi inputs"
I suppose you mean "at the same time".

This is a complex issue, but very likely could be done by a dedicated JSFX. With CCs you would need to measure the time (e.g. to distinguish a doubleclick from two clicks), which might be rather clumsy. With Notes it could be more straight-forward, if your funny device does note-on / note-off when pressing and releasing a button, tapping two buttons simultaneously could easily be detected.

-Michael

I ended up solving it in a kind of hack way. As I use a joystick pcb for my stomp box setup, I used joy to key to create a custom hot key for combinations of simultaneous presses. I'm not fluent in LUA, so I had chat gpt write me a script to iterate through my cycle actions which enable / disable different config groups (I'm not really sure what the term is there as configs could mean the individual 1-128 items in a group, but I mean the 1-8 sort of "banks of configs). It works a treat. Also, I maintain we should all be terrified by ChatGPT, but in the interim, I'll feed the beast to help me with my hobby projects :/

Also, thank you for all your contributions to this area. I'm very busy with work, but with your posts and others I was able to complete this poor man's Kemper pedal board all in one very easily. I have to say, if someone packaged this up as an easier to execute package, it's way better than the Kemper, or pretty much anything else I've drooled over but couldn't justify to part with the $$ for. Amplitube + Tonex + REAPER w/ Live Configs all dialed in with some pedals to control it is amazing. I'm really happy with it!
e4r104 is offline   Reply With Quote