Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 03-18-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
bolgwrad
Human being with feelings

Default v6.78+dev0318 - March 18 2023

v6.78+dev0318 - March 18 2023

* Includes feature branch: updated Windows manifest for newer OS features
* Includes feature branch: always running non-bypassed FX when the UI is visible
* Includes feature branch: crossfade new recording with existing media items if configured
* Includes feature branch: video from background projects
* Includes feature branch: FX containers
* Includes feature branch: improvements to aligning takes after recording
* Includes feature branch: arrange view override mouse modifier sections
* Includes feature branch: toolbar armed/special animations
* Includes feature branch: pooled and unpooled ARA edits
* Includes feature branch: fixed lane comping
* Includes feature branch: shortcut import/export improvements and multiple main keyboard sections
* Includes feature branch: preview item selection for grouped tracks
* Includes feature branch: GR metering as embedded UI for third-party VSTs
* Includes feature branch: media item fixed lanes
+ Media item lanes: add action to create comp area at time selection
+ Media item lanes: add action to split comp area at edit cursor
+ Media item lanes: add comp area right-click context menu
+ Mouse modifiers: default mouse-drag on crossfade intersection moves the split point left/right respecting snap, rather than adjusting fade curves
+ Take envelopes: improve matching logic when copying envelopes from take to take via drag and drop
+ Windows: update manifest to declare compatibility for new features
+ Windows: update manifest to include UAC configuration
# Media item lanes: fix source lane items being deleted when editing comp areas and media items together [p=2659870]
# Media item lanes: update comp areas when changing lane colors
# Notes: fix crash when saving notes
# Wiring diagram: fix passthrough channel display with parallel FX

Full Changelog - Pre-Releases - Feature Requests - Generated by WhatsNew2
Old 03-18-2023, 09:17 AM   #2
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
* Includes feature branch: updated Windows manifest for newer OS features
+ Windows: update manifest to declare compatibility for new features
+ Windows: update manifest to include UAC configuration
Don't see anything changed here.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:24 AM   #3
Vagelis

Quote:

+ Media item lanes: add comp area right-click context menu
+ Mouse modifiers: default mouse-drag on crossfade intersection moves the split point left/right respecting snap, rather than adjusting fade curves
Great stuff, thanks!

EDIT: Btw could you make the menu customizable?

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-18-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Vagelis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:29 AM   #4
tohubohu

Quote:
hello,
Don't forget to fix this list of mouse modifiers bugs someday, when you have time. Personally, I won't have time to follow up on the corrections soon if you need us to do some tests. I hope others will take over. Please don't lose the url and the tests I did on some bugs, which took me several days of work.
Cordially

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=273726
tohubohu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
Edgemeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Don't see anything changed here.
If manifest is working correctly then end user shouldn't notice anything different. You can see the reaper.exe manifest using Resource Hacker if at all interested, but unless you're a dev it will likely not make any sense, it basically the same thing you see here.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:47 AM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
If manifest is working correctly then end user shouldn't notice anything different. You can see the reaper.exe manifest using Resource Hacker if at all interested, but unless you're a dev it will likely not make any sense, it basically the same thing you see here.
Yep, this change was to improve compatibility for certain plugins, hopefully there will be no other noticeable change
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 09:49 AM   #7
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Thanks. I thought it could at least make checkboxes in FX chain prettier.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:50 AM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yep, this change was to improve compatibility for certain plugins, hopefully there will be no other noticeable change
Okay, thanks for the explanation Justin.
Old 03-18-2023, 09:53 AM   #9
Bassman002

Hi

Quote:
# Notes: fix crash when saving notes
Thanks

Bassman.
Bassman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #10
Soli Deo Gloria

Justin, one question : did anything change regarding the parallel MIDI outputs in this one? Just to try it out, in case it is already enabled...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #11
Vagelis

hey Schwa, in the case below where there is an editable area in the same lane with a normal area, could there be a smart switch from normal to editable when we move an item above it? This would be very useful so we don't have to open every area to editable, (except if there's an action) but this could also happen accidentally sometimes and unsync the normal areas as we're moving items in same lane.

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-18-2023 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:26 AM   #12
Vagelis

I know that we decided to override every modifier when comping is on, but as i'm using more and more this feature i still miss to be able and grab items with the mouse from inactive areas.

Here's an example, I want to move the item from inactive area inside the editable area, first I select the inactive area but this changes my comp below which i don't want to. Then there's the option to do with RE, but this doesn't feel natural as the default behavior for editing, and the quirk is that if i move the RE while playback inside editable area and then readjust, it removes the area. And if i turn comping off to do the same it unsync the area..

So my request is, can we have an action to switch to normal media modifier while comping is on, and let us move items from inactive areas as before please?
This combined with editable areas would have the real feel of editing mode while comping.
We could still move an area but not create one. Really hope so

And I believe by using the default media modifier would make editing feel much more easy, fluid and connected with the rest features.

Last edited by Vagelis; 03-18-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Justin, one question : did anything change regarding the parallel MIDI outputs in this one? Just to try it out, in case it is already enabled...
Next one!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:33 PM   #14
kytdkut

Hello! Should I create a proper bug report for this?

-> Using "Add selected tracks to render list" via region manager menu sets them to render only 1 channel. If you explicitly select the track in the menu it works as intended.

my original comment:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=17
kytdkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:45 PM   #15
benmiller

bug or normal behaviour? :
you can double click a comp area in the comp lane and it will look editable, you can then edit it (take envelope for example) but the edits don't get relected down to the source lane. Is this normal? feels very inconsistent with the rest of the experience.

I think the clearest and most practical way for things to work in this regard would be:
double clicking a comp area in a source a lane OR in the comp lane would make it editable and you would get the wide border for that area in the comp lane AND in the appropriate source lane. Edits in that editable area in either lane would be imidiatly reflected in the other.

I think this would help avoid any confusion about what exactly is going to happen when you edit something inside in area which is in edit mode. And i can imagine this being helpfull when we will be able to collapse the lane view to avoid "scrolling" though lanes to do a synced edit.
benmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:51 PM   #16
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmiller View Post
you can double click a comp area in the comp lane and it will look editable, you can then edit it (take envelope for example) but the edits don't get relected down to the source lane. Is this normal? feels very inconsistent with the rest of the experience.
Looks normal to me, why to reflect the edits to the source lane? Editing in comp lane is independent from the source lanes for long time now because most people don't want to change their sources, but only in the case you edit them.

The new behavior with editable areas in comp lane exists because now the comp area goes out of sync but it's keeping the area in case we want to comp other sources even if we move the area in comp lane.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:54 PM   #17
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
you can double click a comp area in the comp lane and it will look editable, you can then edit it (take envelope for example) but the edits don't get relected down to the source lane. Is this normal?
When you double-click (or actually just single-click) a comp area in the comp lane, you will see the circle indicating "this is the source media" move to the comp lane. In other words, there is no source lane separate from the comp lane; the comp lane isn't synced with any other lane; the comp area is unsynced.

If you then double-click and edit the media, you are editing the media directly on the comp lane.

Note that after you edit the media, the circle indicator becomes solid, indicating that if you switch the comp area to a different source lane, your edits will be lost.

These indicators may change btw!
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 01:58 PM   #18
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
May? Can't wait for that option
Old 03-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #19
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Next one!

Thanks!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #20
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Note that after you edit the media, the circle indicator becomes solid, indicating that if you switch the comp area to a different source lane, your edits will be lost.
I don't think it's a good idea to lose edits in a single click. Maybe a better indicator would help, not sure... you could still just miss-click and notice much later on.

Maybe a confirmation dialog or double click to switch comp area?

Also, what is this line?

Old 03-18-2023, 02:23 PM   #21
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
what is this line?
The line indicates that even though the comp area is unsynced, meaning that you can edit it directly in the comp lane, the content still matches the underlined source lane.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:31 PM   #22
FeedTheCat

Quote:
The line indicates that even though the comp area is unsynced, meaning that you can edit it directly in the comp lane, the content still matches the underlined source lane.
Ah ok, then it's bugged. Here it always underlines the first source lane (not the matching one):

Old 03-18-2023, 02:32 PM   #23
Vagelis

Quote:
Maybe a confirmation dialog or double click to recreate comp area?
No please I hate dialogs for such a simple thing, better double click but still, I'm fine to get used to a single click.

Quote:
Also, what is this line?
Highlighting the comp area in comping lane when it's at the initial position, like previously when we were moving items in comping lane and they would auto sync with their areas.
Old 03-18-2023, 02:36 PM   #24
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Ah ok, then it's bugged. Here it always underlines the first source lane (not the matching one)
Hmm, I wonder why that is. How were the media items on the different lanes recorded? Was it one continuous loop recording with multiple passes, or multiple stop-and-start recording passes?
Old 03-18-2023, 02:47 PM   #25
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Hmm, I wonder why that is. How were the media items on the different lanes recorded? Was it one continuous loop recording with multiple passes, or multiple stop-and-start recording passes?
I dragged multiple already recorded takes into a new project and chose the option "Same time position in fixed lanes on a single track".
Old 03-18-2023, 03:00 PM   #26
Vagelis

Some thoughts regarding editing in comp lane as it is now, since we can't edit comp areas like the items, maybe it would be nice to show as editable all the areas in comping lane? Was thinking that editing the items could become as fast as before that way and also with the ability to move the comp areas if we want.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #27
benmiller

Quote:
When you double-click (or actually just single-click) a comp area in the comp lane, you will see the circle indicating "this is the source media" move to the comp lane. In other words, there is no source lane separate from the comp lane; the comp lane isn't synced with any other lane; the comp area is unsynced.

If you then double-click and edit the media, you are editing the media directly on the comp lane.

ok thanks for the explanation. I have to admit, with out the explanation this current behaviour was very uncler to me.

this editable area in the comp lane the way it is seems superfluous to me. It's already super quick and easy to have an action to turn off comping, do the edit, turn comping back on. And this also preserves the area which just goes out of sync. Because right now, any editing you want to do near an area edge when comping is on is a pain anyway because it's unsure/hard to control if you are going to grab item edge or area edge etc.

With the same visual representation of an editable area in source lane and in the comp lane i expect a similar result (imidiate sync).

Most people want to preserve the source untouched the majority of the time. But from the past discussions it seemed clear that it can sometimes be desireable to edit your comp lanes and have that reflected in the source.

My thought is:

Edit which will/should unsync areas -> turn off comping, edit, turn comping back on.

Edits which should be reflected either way -> editable area in comping mode, from source lane or from comp lane.

also for the indicator of full/ empty circle, it would be maybe clearer if this was indicated with coulor. If area in the comp lane is out of sync, draw it red in the comp lane (red=warning, if you select an other lane you will loose what you have now and can't go back to it).
Old 03-18-2023, 03:07 PM   #28
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Some thoughts regarding editing in comp lane as it is now, since we can't edit comp areas like the items, maybe it would be nice to show as editable all the areas in comping lane? Was thinking that editing the items could become as fast as before that way and also with the ability to move the comp areas if we want.
but as soon as you want to edit near a comp area edge it gets anoying.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:10 PM   #29
Vagelis

Quote:
but as soon as you want to edit near a comp area edge it gets anoying.
Very true. Maybe should have more thin lines to the sides of the area?
Old 03-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #30
benmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
Very true. Maybe should have more thin lines to the sides of the area?
or just go in and out of comping mode with a simple key press when you want to edit? areas are preserved and shown out of sync when you go back to comping
Old 03-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #31
benmiller

there is still no way of grabbing the item volume handle on editable comp areas, it would be nice to be able to.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:15 PM   #32
ferropop

I also don't see the need for editing Comp Lane while comping is on -- it's one shortcut to turn off/on.

Especially now, if you turn off comping, make some edits in comp lane, turn comping on -- the comp area remains so edges/crossfades stay nice - and you can immediately bump those edits to a new lane to preserve.

You have full editing tools while editing, full comping tools while comping, and switching between is a single keystroke, and no need for a trillion things competing for your attention.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 03:17 PM   #33
ferropop

Also hoping this leads to actions like "Apply Melodyne edits to Comp Area, put edits to new lane, comp that area".

Ultimately a pretty simple series of actions, we just don't have the necessary ones yet.

This is all going in a super powerful direction.
Old 03-18-2023, 03:22 PM   #34
Vagelis

Quote:
or just go in and out of comping mode with a simple key press when you want to edit? areas are preserved and shown out of sync when you go back to comping
True, in comping lane there's no need to edit in comp areas as it works now.

Quote:
there is still no way of grabbing the item volume handle on editable comp areas, it would be nice to be able to.
Hmm it's possible to grab it here.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #35
Daodan

Quote:

Is there a quick way to save those changes? For example to compare edited media with source or other takes.
Daodan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 04:16 PM   #36
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
Is there a quick way to save those changes? For example to compare edited media with source or other takes.
We had an action to "copy unsynced comp areas to new lane and re-comp", which I think stopped working. Would be nice to have this option in the comp area right-click menu.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:25 PM   #37
Daodan

Quote:
Ah ok, then it's bugged. Here it always underlines the first source lane (not the matching one):
Quote:
Same here. Multiple stop-and-start recording passes. Switched to Fixed lanes after first pass. Default recording options.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:26 PM   #38
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daodan View Post
I have that exact action mapped in Comp Area Context - it works beautifully.

"Copy unsynced comp areas to new lane and re-comp".
Old 03-18-2023, 04:28 PM   #39
ferropop

^^ it acts on the all the unsynced areas in the entire track which i'm not 100% sure about...more saw it as a "area under mouse" type action, but still it's great!
Old 03-18-2023, 05:06 PM   #40
Daodan

Quote:
We had an action to "copy unsynced comp areas to new lane and re-comp", which I think stopped working. Would be nice to have this option in the comp area right-click menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
I have that exact action mapped in Comp Area Context - it works beautifully.

"Copy unsynced comp areas to new lane and re-comp".
Thank you guys. It doesn't work from action list but works as keyboard shortcut or mouse modifiers action.
Yes, right-click menu option would be nice.
Actually my first thought was that if solid circle indicating that edits will be lost than clicking on it should do something to save those edits. Maybe something like this would be cool too.

Also tried to manually create new lane and move edited area to it. I set "Move comp area vertically" for alt+left drag in Fixed comp area context. Looks like this action is not working yet.