Old 08-31-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
osxmidi
Human being with feelings

Default LinuxSampler Basic Howto

I decided to try LinuxSampler and this is how I got it up and running in a basic way.

This can be confusing if the right order isn't followed and might result in no connection errors etc and getting lost in the documentation might be easy or finding documentation about the linuxsampler vst might not be that easy.

Get linuxsampler-vst_1.0.0+svn2593-1kxstudio3_amd64.deb from https://answers.launchpad.net/~kxstu...-archive-extra

The actual vst .so file can just be found by extracting the package and then extracting the data.tar.gz file or just use dpkg to install and then the vst .so file goes to /usr/lib/vst I think.

Install linuxsampler for your distro from the LinuxSampler site.

Install Qsampler for your distro.

Start Reaper and load the linuxsampler vst and it will just sit there with no gui.

Start Qsampler and then add a channel and then set it up for sfz and load a sfz file (I used some sfz files from https://freepats.zenvoid.org/Piano/a...and-piano.html).

I had to choose MIDI all channels to get sound output with a midi track in Reaper.

Qsampler comes up in plugin mode rather than Alsa or Jack mode when the linuxsampler vst is started before Qsampler otherwise Qsampler just comes up in Alsa or Jack mode and the linuxsampler vst won't connect.

Quit Qsampler before unloading the linuxsampler vst or quiting Reaper.

After all of that it works very well for sfz files.

The details are at http://libremusicproduction.com/tuto...-them-together

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-01-2018 at 03:45 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
Tobbe

Thank you. I found a german video tutorial on Youtube and I followed it to the point, watched it several times, but I didnt get instrument track to work on separate track. I want to know how its done, I want to learn and understand. He use a very old Reaper version, but it cant have changed that much.

https://youtu.be/zmM6MC2ITTg

Here is the old forum post I talked about
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=Linuxsampler

Trial and error continues ��

Last edited by Tobbe; 09-01-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #3
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
Thank you. I found a german video tutorial on Youtube and I followed it to the point, watched it several times, but I didnt get instrument track to work on separate track. I want to know how its done, I want to learn and understand. He use a very old Reaper version, but it cant have changed that much.

https://youtu.be/zmM6MC2ITTg

Here is the old forum post I talked about
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....t=Linuxsampler

Trial and error continues ��

From what I can make out, in the video he is creating a master track that controls things and he calls it LS.

He loads the linuxsampler vst only onto the LS track.

Midi gets done on the other newly created tracks ie midi1, midi2 etc.
Don't do anything midi on the LS track, just leave it as it it is because it's just a controller.

Then he creates some more tracks and routes them to the LS track.

ie

Create a new track (midi1) and then using it's route option, choose "Add new send" and route it to LS and select the Midi All > 1

Create a new track (midi2) and then using it's route option, choose "Add new send" and route it to LS and select the Midi All > 2

etc etc

Qsampler has sampler Channels (the sampler channels that get added from Qsampler add channel menu option) and also Midi/Input channels for each sampler Channel (pretty confusing).

In Qsampler or Fantasia, load the sfz into the sampler Channel 0

Add a new channel (Channel 1) and load another sfz into the sampler Channel 1

The Qsampler Midi/Input option should be channel 1 for the sampler Channel 0.

The Qsampler Midi/Input option should be channel 2 for the sampler Channel 1.

etc etc

Usually the Midi/Input option is already like this by default when a new sampler Channel is added.

It all means that the midi1 track gets sent via the LS controller track to the sampler Channel0 Midi/Input channel 1

and that the midi2 track gets sent via the LS controller track to the sampler Channel1 Midi/Input channel 2

etc etc

and the midi1 and midi2 tracks go to their respective (Qsampler/linuxsampler) sfz files via the above routing.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-02-2018 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
osxmidi

If effects etc are wanted on individual midi tracks (say the midi1 and midi2 tracks above) then

add some tracks say ch1 and ch2 etc

Enable the 3 and 4 outs in the LS track's linuxsampler vst's Plug-in pin connection

hit the LS track route option

add new send to ch1

Audio 1/2 to Audio 1/2 Midi None

add new send to ch2

Audio 3/4 to Audio 1/2 Midi None

Change Qsamplers sampler Channel1 Audio/Output Device channel to 3 and 4 (from 1 and 2).

For more tracks it's the same thing repeated with 5/6, 6/7 etc and enable the corresponding more outs in the LS track's linuxsampler vst's Plug-in pin connection etc etc

Basically it connects the Qsampler/linuxsampler sampler Channel0 and Channel1 audio into the ch1 (Audio 1/2) and ch2 (Audio 3/4) tracks which can then have audio effects put on them.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-02-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
osxmidi

This is how I've set it up, it seems to work ok but maybe there are better ways to do it, it's only a quick experiment to try some possible things out.

The first track LS is the controller track (the linuxsampler vst connects to Qsampler/linuxsampler for sending and receiving) that has the linuxsampler vst loaded on it.

I've got 2 midi tracks, midi1 and midi2.

midi1 is going to Qsampler's Kawai piano sfz, Qsampler's sample Channel0.

midi2 is going to Qsampler's AVLinux drumkit Red Zeppilin sfz, Qsampler's sample Channel1.

The audio out from Qsampler's Channel0 and Channel1 is being sent to the ch1 and ch2 audio tracks and audio effects can then be put on them such as reverb on the piano's ch1 audio track and/or the drums ch2 audio track etc.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-02-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #6
Tobbe

Thank you so much. I got it ��

I use Fantasia and not QSampler,it suites me better when it has built in keyboard, QSampler don't. I couldn't find any.

Once again, thank you so much �� �� ��

Last edited by Tobbe; 09-03-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Tobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:10 AM   #7
osxmidi

Thanks.

----------

Some useful things for LinuxSampler and SFZero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1UG6naZ1HQ

Separating midi notes to midi tracks, useful for putting effects on individual drums etc etc.

Using the Reaper Action "Explode MIDI note rows (pitch) to new items".

Then do as above, sync the individual midi drum tracks to Qsampler sampler Channels and the routed audio (ie ch1 ch2 as above) and put audio effects on each drum/cymbal.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-03-2018 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #8
osxmidi

While I'm at it,

EZDrummer etc can split the individual drum sounds which can then have effects put on them and also allows altering individual drum sound levels.

For sfz/sf2 this seems to work, maybe there are better ways to do it.

Split the notes of a midi drum track to individual midi tracks representing the snare, tom, etc using the Reaper Action "Explode MIDI note rows (pitch) to new items".

Then route the output of a drum sfz/sf2 loaded into SFzero (disk streaming https://github.com/osxmidi/SFZero/releases) on each midi track to a corresponding audio track which can then have audio effects put on it.

A compressor or reverb effect etc can be put on individual drum elements such as reverb only on the snare or whatever.

It's also possible to do a similar thing with LinuxSampler as above.

So I've split the slayer3 midi drum file to 5 midi tracks and then I put an instance of SFzero (disk streaming) on each track and loaded them with the same sfz/sf2 file.

Then I add 5 audio tracks corresponding to the 5 midi tracks (ch1, ch2 etc) and route the audio output of each of the midi tracks with SFZero on them to each of the 5 audio tracks using audio channels 3 and 4.

So midi track1 goes to ch1 and midi track2 goes to ch2 etc

Then I can add effects onto the 5 tracks which makes it possible to put reverb on the hi-hat and/or compression on the snare etc etc.

It's also possible to use and mix up different soundfont samples for different drums, by loading a different soundfont on the snare midi track or whatever.

Last edited by osxmidi; 09-06-2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:51 AM   #9
Tobbe

Good one. I try that to.Should even work with MT-Powerdrumkit I think. I don't have Ezdrummer, but some samples from Looploft.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:50 AM   #10
periglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
The audio out from Qsampler's Channel0 and Channel1 is being sent to the ch1 and ch2 audio tracks and audio effects can then be put on them such as reverb on the piano's ch1 audio track and/or the drums ch2 audio track etc.
Excellent, this is how I finally have been able to transfer from a midi file produced in musescore to reaper. Some other ways work too, but then it is not easy to apply Fx. Just a note: in the Qsampler for the second midi ("Channel 1", I am pretty sure channels 0 and 1 should go to 2 and 3 (not 3 and 4). There's a annoying difference in that Qsampler starts counting at 0, and reaper at 1.

The only bug is that my piano track, with samples from

https://freepats.zenvoid.org/Piano/a...and-piano.html

can only be heard when playing from the project's start, not from any intermediate time. Funny, since the other two tracks, from the same site (xylophone and drums) work just fine.
periglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:32 AM   #11
Glennbo

I use the free concert grand piano from the LinuxSampler page, and it does play no matter where I start the project from.

https://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html

I downloaded the two pianos from the site you linked and will see later if they produce the anomaly you are seeing.

Edit: so I recorded a bit of piano in REAPER using both the pianos you linked, but it seems I can hit play from any point on the timeline and the pianos play. Also clicking around on the timeline to jump back and forth seems to always play. Maybe you have some midi event in your project that's causing the problem.

Last edited by Glennbo; 10-14-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #12
periglo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Maybe you have some midi event in your project that's causing the problem.
Thanks Glennbo. You pointed me in the right direction! Indeed, it has to do with the funny way musescore exports midi. I found this comment helpful: https://musescore.org/en/node/309448.

I just erased all those control midi commands in the beginning (kept the "resets", though, or else no sound again!), and voila, it now works fine!

BTW: musescore's chord playback produces strange midis (scrambled, 0-length notes...). I disabled them thus: https://musescore.org/en/handbook/pl...hville-numbers.
periglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #13
Glennbo

Glad you found the offending data.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:03 PM   #14
777funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post

I'm very curious how you were able to get multiple channels Audio Output from QSampler? I have it opened as a Reaper Plugin and although I have it setup from Reaper as 6x2 in the I/O, it's only showing 2 audio channels in QSampler as can be seen in the attached screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2023-03-17_15-05-59.png (71.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by 777funk; 03-17-2023 at 01:10 PM.
777funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:30 PM   #15
PMan

In the QSampler window, you can add channels. In osxmidi's screenshot, the 8th icon from the left is the "add channel" button. After you add a channel, you specify it's MIDI channel input, and it's stereo pair output.

* * * This has to be done in QSampler. There are no controls in the LinuxSampler (LS) plugin to do this. * * *

Add the LS plugin to 1 track only. A single LS instance (plugin) will provide... at least 32 MIDI inputs and 32 stereo outputs (there is a thread somewhere in this forum that explains how to get more than 16 channels).

The way I use LS is I have a MIDI track and a corresponding audio track for each LS channel. The MIDI track sends to a LS channel MIDI input, and the audio track receives from the stereo outputs of the same LS channel.

To provide 8 LS channels (8 MIDI channels & 8 stereo pairs), I'll have the following Reaper tracks:
1 track with the LS plugin
8 MIDI tracks
8 audio tracks.

I tried having the MIDI and the audio from a LS channel in the same Reaper track, but that doesn't work (no sound output) unless I check "Allow feedback in routing (can result in lower performance, loud noises)" in the project settings, under the "Advanced" tab. I used to have an older, not very powerful computer, so I left that off.
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote