Old 03-05-2023, 02:03 AM   #1
BubbleMiles
Human being with feelings

Default Recommendation for audio interface.

Hello does anybody have recommendations for a audio interface.
It needs to be compatible with a microphone, two synths, and speakers.
BubbleMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:18 AM   #2
Cosmic

Behringer are great. Low latency. My daughter has one I like it.

I have an RME Babyface Pro. Which is the best.
Old 03-05-2023, 03:04 PM   #3
BubbleMiles

The Baby looks cool! A bit out of my budget atm. Which Behringer unit is your daughter using? Looking at the Studio L version at the moment. Has some good reviews
Old 03-06-2023, 12:57 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMiles View Post
The Baby looks cool! A bit out of my budget atm. Which Behringer unit is your daughter using? Looking at the Studio L version at the moment. Has some good reviews
If I may ask, what kind of budget area are you contemplating and what do you want/need in terms of inputs and outputs.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:49 AM   #5
BubbleMiles

Thanks for your reply. I have a pair of monitors, two synthesizers, and a microphone. My budget is around 300 dollars. I have a Scarlet solo Pro. Its a ok unit, but it lacks basic features.
Old 03-06-2023, 06:59 AM   #6
Fleeesch

The UMC series of behringer is quite dandy if you're on a low budget. Mainly because the UMC204HD and UMC404HD are compact, bus-powered and come with all kinds of tools for various scenarios. The phones output has a lot of gain, but distorts the bass at 80%. Plus the other outputs are relatively low on the output level and come with a high noise floor, which is acceptable for the price you pay.

Got myself a Presonus ioStation 24c, and boy does it make a difference. You can crank things up to eleven while still having trouble hearing any noise. Comes at a price, of course.
Fleeesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:56 PM   #7
b2001

What features does it lack that you are needing? That will give you more targeted answers.

I got the 2i2 instead of the solo because i wanted 2 mic and 2 instrument inputs…
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:29 PM   #8
BubbleMiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
What features does it lack that you are needing? That will give you more targeted answers.

I got the 2i2 instead of the solo because i wanted 2 mic and 2 instrument inputs…
You are absolutely right. I am looking for more controls. Its bothering me that i cant mute the monitors if i only want to listen in my headphones. I need to unplug the jacks. Is that possible with the 2i2?. My scarlet also has these iretating cracks that comes sporadic. Its time for change.

I went with the Behringer Studio L. I read some reviews - looks promising.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:57 PM   #9
b2001

2i2 does have separate volume controls for monitors vs headphones.

If you continue to experience sporadic cracks with the studio l, then check the latency of your laptop.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 05:06 PM   #10
Wallaby

Default ESI

My tip : ESI U86 XT

Cheap, good low-latency drivers, lots of inputs
German brand with their own drivers !
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:15 PM   #11
User41

the UAD Volt with 2 separate pres and 2 in 2 outs is $229.

same price and similar features for Audient iD14. Plus Audient's are really well built in my experience and you can prob shop used as good as new.
User41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:47 PM   #12
foxAsteria

MOTU M4 is 4 in/out w MIDI. For its footprint I'd consider it best-in-class and the drivers rival RME, IMO. The meters are so incredibly useful as well. Never seen MIDI indicators and full I/O meters on a small interface before. It rocks.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-07-2023 at 06:52 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 11:45 AM   #13
serr

The big decision is around doing live sound or not.

Live sound through the computer/DAW. Either an actual live stage or playing MIDI controlled VSTi sound module plugins live. This needs low latency! It's not a "would be nice" option, it's a hard requirement and everything stops if there's a lag regardless of anything else.

Live sound: Shop for an interface with a lower baseline latency. Thunderbolt, some PCIe, and very select USB models. (And a few older firewire models.)

Not live sound. And you monitor the live sound for overdubs with the built in cuemix/direct monitor feature in the interface: Now you can just shop for the I/O you need and the quality of the inputs.

You can't make up for latency of the interface with a faster computer. If you're doing live sound and you have to dial the block size down to 64 samples or lower to hit your low latency requirement, you'll have very little processing power left. Any plugins that add additional latency themselves are off limits.

Those Midas/Behringer units are a lot of bang for the buck for good inputs for cheap. The built in low latency mixer is rudimentary. Lots of bang for the buck for studio work. Would be a really poor choice for live work. The thunderbolt connecting models or a USB model from RME would be better suited for live work.

128 sample block size at 48k with a faster interface should be around 7ms round trip. This can be as high as 14ms with a slower USB interface with the same settings.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:24 PM   #14
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleMiles View Post
You are absolutely right. I am looking for more controls. Its bothering me that i cant mute the monitors if i only want to listen in my headphones. I need to unplug the jacks. Is that possible with the 2i2?. My scarlet also has these iretating cracks that comes sporadic. Its time for change.

I went with the Behringer Studio L. I read some reviews - looks promising.
You should be able to do that with the Focusrite control software. Which, IMO, is excellent.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:19 AM   #15
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
MOTU M4 is 4 in/out w MIDI. For its footprint I'd consider it best-in-class and the drivers rival RME, IMO. The meters are so incredibly useful as well. Never seen MIDI indicators and full I/O meters on a small interface before. It rocks.
Good interface.

I'm recording a podcast tomorrow with an Audient id44. Good performance on the M1 Macs I work on at their studio.

If there's any chance you want to expand your setup in the future, either save up a bit now for a larger interface(the id44 ain't cheap with its 4 preamps) or at least go for one with an ADAT input. That way you can get stacks of AD inputs at the very least via the ADAT port with an external unit such as Behringer ADA8200, Audient Evo, Audient ASP or a number of other units.

MOTU and Audient are great in the experience of folks here and myself, so they're a good choice all around. You should check out the software that comes with them.

Quite a lot of other stuff can be done with Reaper.

For example, I'm creating a talk-back toggle by hooking up the PRESS DOWN midi message and the RELEASE midi message from one of my X-Touch Mini buttons to ARM Track X.

I place monitoring tracks at the top of my setup, for original mixes when I'm mixing a foreign language dubs for example.

Why am I mentioning customization at all? Everyone knows this :P .
airon is offline   Reply With Quote