Old 02-26-2023, 07:52 AM   #81
Sexan
Human being with feelings

Lanes are basically just individual tracks inside of track (PT Playlist, Track versions Cubase etc)

Comping is just another feature on top of that. They are separate things but used in combination (If I understood you right lanes == comping was the question?).

You can use lanes for making layers or whatever you don't need to use comping at all. Its just a feature that works in conjunction with lanes
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:45 AM   #82
FEF

Yup. Right. That's the way I see it too.

I'm sure the manual refers to the whole deal as lanes, and it makes sense as you'd have lanes inside any road track. But what we have here is an amazing display of versatility, IMO. The new track/lane manipulations give us options. And options are a very good thing.

Comps. Layers. Whatever you like to do with them, it's a beautiful thing from my side of the screen. Big fan here, and I should hang out in the Pre-Release area more often.
FEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:10 PM   #83
Nition

Going against the general mood here, I wonder if the old take system should be removed once lanes are in. More options can also mean more confusion for new users, and more trouble for the development team to maintain.

I've seen the problem more often in open source projects, where they end up with a million options to please everyone and never remove anything, and in the end it intimidates new people and stifles progress since there's so much to maintain and test.

I know it's easy to get attached to the old ways, but lanes seem like basically a straight upgrade on takes. If things were the other way around and we already had lanes, with takes now being introduced, would anyone be excited to switch?

At the same time, I know Reaper's strength is in its ability to do things in many different ways. I just hope that doesn't eventually become a weakness.
Nition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:15 PM   #84
Sexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nition View Post
Going against the general mood here, I wonder if the old take system should be removed once lanes are in. More options can also mean more confusion for new users, and more trouble for the development team to maintain.

I've seen the problem more often in open source projects, where they end up with a million options to please everyone and never remove anything, and in the end it intimidates new people and stifles progress since there's so much to maintain and test.

I know it's easy to get attached to the old ways, but lanes seem like basically a straight upgrade on takes. If things were the other way around and we already had lanes, with takes now being introduced, would anyone be excited to switch?

At the same time, I know Reaper's strength is in its ability to do things in many different ways. I just hope that doesn't eventually become a weakness.
No, backward compatibility matters
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:42 PM   #85
Nition

I do agree, but at worst you'd still be able to download an older version of Reaper to open old projects with. Or else automatically convert takes from old saves into lanes.

Anyway, whatever happens I'm excited about this mode, it addresses all the issues I have with takes. Awesome work.

Last edited by Nition; 02-27-2023 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:56 PM   #86
karbomusic

Quote:
Going against the general mood here, I wonder if the old take system should be removed once lanes are in.
No. Many of us (including many non-vocal non-forum users use the 'old' system with great success) and it would break the crap out of years of old projects which many of us have 100s or 1000s of. The old way is extremely efficient for me as I never had any issues with takes since around Reaper 4.1 (which was when the first major overhaul made it great for many of us, before that, it actually sucked ).

If the new system works for you, just set it up that way and enjoy.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:13 PM   #87
FEF

From my perspective, they are lanes now (675). The only difference (that I can find) is that I had to choose "fixed item lanes", which is the only hint that something's different. In 675 I can make lanes when I'm overdubbing (making comps) and I can make lanes for making synth layers, but I have the 'offset overlapping media items vertically' option selected. However, in 675 I can not edit vertical media items individually or have selected bits of stacked media items (in lanes) appear in an empty lane, creating a new lane of puzzle pieces, until adding +dev0224. Man, that is so nice.

And yes, I'm a firm believer that backward compatibility is necessary to the point that I'd rather not see this 'improvement' until the release can support both old and new ways of managing lanes. Not that I mean to suggest it doesn't now. From what I can tell, it does.
FEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:12 AM   #88
ayskura

this looks awesome! how do you activate it? I downloaded the beta just to try this as it's what I have been waiting for!
ayskura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 11:37 PM   #89
Reno.thestraws

Quote:

No, definitely no. Reaper is not just for bedroom music production and there's ton of other workflow that you seem to ignore... Take system is great and the fixed lane is a cool addition.
Old 03-01-2023, 12:23 AM   #90
Nition

It seems like it's me that doesn't know all the nuance of the take system.

I use takes a lot myself (though admittedly yes I'm a 'bedroom music producer'), but the new fixed lane system seemed like it covered everything in takes while improving on some aspects. That's also why I assumed it might be possible to convert takes to lanes if the take system as ever removed. What do takes do that the lane system doesn't do, apart from taking up less vertical space?

Last edited by Nition; 03-01-2023 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:10 AM   #91
ayskura

Reaper 6.76 has been just released, does it includes this new comping mode?
Old 03-01-2023, 06:11 AM   #92
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
Reaper 6.76 has been just released, does it includes this new comping mode?
No, it's still under development.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #93
IrishRover79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Interesting use for lanes I stumbled upon when putting in MIDI drums:

Using lanes to separate the different drum parts, ie Kick/Snare on one lane, cymbals on another.

In the current absence of Razor Edits in the MIDI Editor, this at least gets us discrete RE editing per-note/drum!
Nice idea!
IrishRover79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:56 AM   #94
ayskura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockmonkey72 View Post
No, it's still under development.
thank you I figured it out, this, alongside the razor edit, the editing grouping is the most wanted feature in reaper... I can only say: WOW the future is bright <3 thank you Reaper developer(s) <3
Old 03-01-2023, 02:03 PM   #95
skylar_battles

Forgive me if this is obvious are has otherwise been addressed, is there or will there be auto overlap and crossfades when finalizing razor edits in this mode or will this just follow the main preference for this! Auto-overlap and crossfades is essential for comping otherwise you’re just wasting steps IMHO because it’s Reaper.
skylar_battles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 07:50 PM   #96
psrpsrpsr

Default First impressions on fixed lane comping

Hi folks, I'm a novice Reaper user. I switched from Logic because of the limitations in performing edits after swipe comps are complete. This requires cutting/moving regions, Flex Time, etc. There is no Slip editing or an elegant solution that I know of.

I am REALLY excited about the forthcoming fixed lane comping system. My goal is to edit multi-mic drum records with maximum flexibility to comp and edit that comp. I want to retain the ability to go back down to the takes, audition them, make changes to the comp, and then edit the comp all within the same tracks.

I just installed reaper677+dev0304_universal.dmg and replicated Sexan's GIF to try out the fixed lane comping.

First impressions: seems like exactly the functionality I was looking for! Can't wait to see this come to life.

Maybe a bug?

Outcome: Glued region reverts to unglued after movement, then undo.

Process:
1. Glue all items from the comp together
2. Move the region by click+left drag
3. Undo move
psrpsrpsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 02:30 PM   #97
skylar_battles

Just wanted to check back in with my basic question. Does the new comping mode support auto crossfade and overlap? Very very important!! I imagine it's an easy question, or maybe having that functionality turned on for razor editing effects razor editing in the new comping mode as well?
Old 03-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #98
schwa
Administrator

Yes, comping overlaps and crossfades by default.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 05:19 PM   #99
skylar_battles

Wonderful I truly can't wait!
Old 03-15-2023, 09:05 PM   #100
skylar_battles

Has anyone tried on multitrack drums yet?
Old 03-16-2023, 06:59 AM   #101
bolgwrad

This is a multi-MIDI lane containerized RS5K drum track mockup - only works with lanes and containers btw. You'll see that comping doesn't exactly work as it is, but it at least shows how NOT to do it

https://ufile.io/v18ghnuj
Old 03-16-2023, 07:18 AM   #102
squibble94

Quote:

Using lanes to separate the different drum parts, ie Kick/Snare on one lane, cymbals on another.

In the current absence of Razor Edits in the MIDI Editor, this at least gets us discrete RE editing per-note/drum!
YEAH This is a great find! I typically do this with tracks in a folder, but this is a bit nicer. Thanks for sharing.
squibble94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:52 AM   #103
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibble94 View Post
YEAH This is a great find! I typically do this with tracks in a folder, but this is a bit nicer. Thanks for sharing.
But reaper doesn’t allow recording a second lane while auditioning the first lane.
I would like to use this. single sounds triggered from a sampler, drum kits, chords and melody , whatever.

For midi recording our selfs playing and overdub , and I guess for live looping this does not help.
It’s fundamental.

Last edited by deeb; 03-16-2023 at 08:58 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #104
HighVoltage

Quote:

I don't get what's new here?
I've been doing this for ages, no need for any new "comping mode" for this. What am i missing?

https://prnt.sc/Z3bIJKY47tRN
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:15 AM   #105
Andreya

Just played with this some more. Stellar work, thumbs up from me. I also always found the take system rather unwieldy, so this is a very very welcome change personally. Love it!
Andreya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:44 AM   #106
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
I've been doing this for ages, no need for any new "comping mode" for this. What am i missing?

ferropop is talking about using using razor edits in lanes, whereas you are not - the individual layers in your screenshot cannot be selected discretely via razor edit.

Last edited by mccrabney; 03-17-2023 at 06:49 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:52 AM   #107
skylar_battles

Is the new system set for "supposed" to be set for release in Reaper 7? Haven't dived into pre-releases yet but it's tempting because of this.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:10 PM   #108
mschnell

Reaper major version numbers seem to be more like a paywall then like a feature collection adding.,

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:00 PM   #109
skylar_battles

Thank you so so so much for this!

I was hesitant to try the pre-relase, but just looking at fixed item lanes for 2 minutes has me convinced I won't be using takes again. Thanks for all the hard work and continued development!

Where would you suggest to best learn the new system? Super excited about it! I can't wait to use them for midi drums as well as audio comping!

Last edited by skylar_battles; 04-04-2023 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 09:06 PM   #110
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post

Hey just clarifying, it's one track - with lanes - each lane a separately editable (with razor edits) area. There's previously no other way to do the above, that has that level of editing flexibility.

But yeah kinda cool, you can approximate a drum-machine style way to enter patterns - with every drum piece on a different lane - and pasting grid-sized MIDI items that you mute/unmute. The use of Razor Edits is freed and indispensable if you work this way.

Last edited by ferropop; 04-04-2023 at 09:12 PM.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:14 PM   #111
ferropop

^^ I imagine some scripting could turn the above into a pretty powerful FL Studio drum pattern alternative.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:38 AM   #112
deeb

Quote:
^^ I imagine some scripting could turn the above into a pretty powerful FL Studio drum pattern alternative.
We still have so many small issues to be solved. Your expressed wish doesn’t make sense in current workflow implementation since everything is comping oriented and not layer oriented. that’s why I created a req about layer recording that goes into the natural way of recording and layering in which your wish would make sense. Hope those who feel this is lacking can contribute to the idea.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....05#post2666405
Old 04-16-2023, 10:15 AM   #113
mister happy

Hi,
When this thread was first created it piqued my interest, but I have yet to figure out where and when this feature will be part of a public release.

Has it snuck into the public releases or is it just a feature found in prerelease packages?

Thank you.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:25 AM   #114
sockmonkey72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
Hi,
When this thread was first created it piqued my interest, but I have yet to figure out where and when this feature will be part of a public release.

Has it snuck into the public releases or is it just a feature found in prerelease packages?

Thank you.
It's still in pre-release, and will be for a while more, according to the devs.
Old 04-16-2023, 10:58 AM   #115
mister happy

Thank you for explaining.
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #116
ayskura

I can't wait for this! since I saw this and tried it I am checking nearly every day for a new version which has this feature!
Old 05-09-2023, 06:48 PM   #117
psrpsrpsr

I, too, am incredibly excited for this feature. I've been experimenting with the dev releases and the mode is effective and efficient. Can't wait!
psrpsrpsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:05 PM   #118
mschnell

There still seems to be heavy work in progress

But I already do use it very successfully.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 01:38 AM   #119
ayskura

Any news on this?
Old 06-15-2023, 04:26 AM   #120
Coachz

Is it possible to comp yet where you simply swipe the areas you want and then commit them to the top lane and remove all the comps below it? If so can somebody paste a lice cap of what's required to do this?

The other important feature is being able to move the comp selection up or down to other takes. I haven't looked recently but would love to know if these features are up and running and how to get this goodness inside me.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote