Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-03-2023, 11:38 AM   #1
boydwgrossii
Human being with feelings

Default How do I import from GuitarPro 7 to Reaper?

Greetings All!

I have a song arranged in GuitarPro the way I like it. How do I import this into Reaper where it has the time signature, key, and notes being played on the guitar?

I want to find an intimate sounding acoustic guitar VST to play the parts I wrote and maybe do some more layering on the electric after import with vocal layers.

Thanks in advance!
boydwgrossii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 03:13 AM   #2
MusoBob

I have Progression that I can Rewire to Reaper and it will open Guitar Pro tabs (I think it's just Notion now).
You can send the midi out of Guitar Pro to Reaper with LoopMidi.
You can use Ample Guitar VSTi's that will play Guitar Pro files.
Not sure in the free ones play the .gpx ?
You can use the free Ample Guitar to play or just display the midi notes on the fretboard imported from Guitar Pro as a midi file.
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:36 AM   #3
Stoker

You can export a music xml file from Guitar pro (I've only tried it with GP6) and then drag the music xml file onto a track in Reaper. It doesn't, in my experience, get the tempo or key signature right but that's quick to fix in Reaper.

Also noticed that if using the Ample Bass P Lite vst I need to transpose the midi up an octave to get the correct pitch.
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:08 PM   #4
boydwgrossii

I'm getting closer. I have Ample Guitar Lite. I dragged in the XML and it isn't recognizing the repeat markers I put in the tab.

I imported the .gpx (Guitar Pro 7) file into Ample Guitar Lite and that loaded the tab but it isn't recognizing the tuning I'm in. I'm in kind of an open Eb tuning.

6Eb 5Ab 4Eb 3Gb 2Bb 3Eb
boydwgrossii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 03:34 AM   #5
Stoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydwgrossii View Post
I'm getting closer. I have Ample Guitar Lite. I dragged in the XML and it isn't recognizing the repeat markers I put in the tab.

I imported the .gpx (Guitar Pro 7) file into Ample Guitar Lite and that loaded the tab but it isn't recognizing the tuning I'm in. I'm in kind of an open Eb tuning.

6Eb 5Ab 4Eb 3Gb 2Bb 3Eb
I'm pretty sure that Reaper's score editor doesn't do repeats at all. In Reaper the score editor is really just a view of a midi item. I think you'd need to replace the repeats with an actual copy of the bars you want to repeat. You could do this in Guitar Pro (before export) or in Reaper (after the import).

The tuning info is in the xml file generated by Guitar Pro but it seems that info is lost somewhere during the import into Reaper.

I've noticed that in Guitar Pro (version 6) the notation is displayed as if the tunining is standard even when a different tuning is specified. e.g. If I select a part as all strings down a half step and then input an open low E string it's displayed on the tab as a '0' and on the notation as an 'E' where what would actually sound is an Eb.
Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:27 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephlarson View Post
To import GuitarPro 7 files into Reaper, you can follow these steps:
Looks like ChatGPT created a forum account
Old 03-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
anthony329231

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydwgrossii View Post
Greetings All!

I have a song arranged in GuitarPro the way I like it. How do I import this into Reaper where it has the time signature, key, and notes being played on the guitar?

I want to find an intimate sounding acoustic guitar VST to play the parts I wrote and maybe do some more layering on the electric after import with vocal layers.

Thanks in advance!
I'm very much in the same situation, and am wondering how I could somehow inherit Guitar Pro's "vibrato" on notes more or less as-is (for now I have to reproduce them via LFO on Mod Wheel, which is a lot of work). I'm referring to Guitar Pro 5's "vibrato" buttons (normal or wide). Any pointers?
anthony329231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 02:05 PM   #8
Serpin

I don't think you can reproduce the vibrato in an easy way. A vibrato is produced by bending a specific note up and down. Since I'm a guitar player and always use real guitars for recording, I've never tried to recreate a vibrato with a vsti. Maybe you could try recreating a vibrato by pitch correction in automation curve? You could draw a curve how your vibrato should look like. Theoretically this would be a vibrato but I don't know if this would sound realistic or good at all.
Serpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 06:25 AM   #9
anthony329231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpin View Post
I don't think you can reproduce the vibrato in an easy way. A vibrato is produced by bending a specific note up and down. Since I'm a guitar player and always use real guitars for recording, I've never tried to recreate a vibrato with a vsti. Maybe you could try recreating a vibrato by pitch correction in automation curve? You could draw a curve how your vibrato should look like. Theoretically this would be a vibrato but I don't know if this would sound realistic or good at all.
I guess the question is: is Guitar Pro's vibrato realistic (or realistic enough)? It sounds decent enough to my not-very-expert ears at least. So somehow they managed to automate it enough so that it's accessible via a simple button click. That's what I wish VSTis would offer basically :/
Old 03-28-2023, 07:57 AM   #10
Serpin

Electric mint by native instruments has vibrato in it. You can choose between finger vibrato and the whole tremolo bar. It sounds way more realistic than guitar pro. But also less realistic than a real guitar. Although I'm sure with some work and effort can make it sound like a real guitar. If you're looking for freeware then someone else might help you. I basically know nothing about guitar vstis. I know electric mint, because I purchased Komplete 13 and it was included.

Out of curiosity I tried to reproduce a vibrato. Since I don't own guitar vstis I tried it with Saxophone and Trumpet. My results were pretty good. Right click your track item -> take -> take pitch envelope. Press command (on Mac) and draw your vibrato. By default you are limited to 3 semitones up and down. If you need more or less: Preferences -> editing behavior -> envelope display -> per take pitch envelope range -> change 3 to whatever number your want. 12 semitones will be a full octave. You can draw on each position you need a vibrato.
Serpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 11:56 AM   #11
anthony329231

Quote:
Right click your track item -> take -> take pitch envelope. Press command (on Mac) and draw your vibrato
I was also able to produce somewhat of a vibrato via the mod wheel, but whether what I did or what you suggest is still a lot of work compared to a single button click. The issue I have is that I'm porting a lot of tabs with vibrato in it, so having to draw something every time is quite consuming.

Quote:
Electric mint by native instruments has vibrato in it.
Nice, I'll give it a shot
Old 03-31-2023, 12:36 PM   #12
anthony329231

Turns out Ample Guitar imports Guitar Pro and its subtleties: see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Btk5J-PcQk, I tried it quickly and it seems to work quite well. Too bad it's not a common feature of all virtual guitars...