Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #41
daniellumertz
Human being with feelings

Very coool FTC! I'm trying to figure me out in the middle of this list of scripts hahaha

I got a little confused, the smart zoom is changing the vertical zoom as you roll forward in the track (and by that changing the content vertical extension that is in your midi clip)?

I also changed a part of the FTC_zoom_to_content_vertically.lua, to it change the vertical zoom to the selection ( and if nothing selected to all content ) can post it here/send to you, if you want. But after I ended I was not sure if this is really helpful maybe "zoom vertically to content inside user view area( and if nothing at the area to all content )" would be what I was really looking for.

thanks for the scripts!!!
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #42
vsthem

I just want to add for the nervous script adopters that this thing works perfectly right outta the box. No fuss
vsthem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:26 AM   #43
myfeltgood

Wow...these scripts are a BIG deal!! There's hope for MIDI editing in REAPER after all. Thanks.
myfeltgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:12 AM   #44
reapero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post

Did you maybe edit the script at some point? Looks like an accidental typo. Try out the latest version from the first post.
No, i didnt. I have downloaded again the multi edit script and i get the same error:

Code:
FTC_multi_edit_zoom.lua:1: unexpected symbol near '<'

I am selecting 3 MIDI items with midi notes, then running this script. Do i need to do anything else?

EDIT: Oh..the individual links are links to the reaper stash, not links to the scripts! Well..got it sorted

Last edited by reapero; 07-02-2020 at 05:36 AM.
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:58 AM   #45
FeedTheCat

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Since a lot of people were (rightfully) overwhelmed by the first post, I did some restructuring which will hopefully present the scripts better

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
I got a little confused, the smart zoom is changing the vertical zoom as you roll forward in the track (and by that changing the content vertical extension that is in your midi clip)?
I hope the first post now answers your question. Smart zoom is a horizontal zoom mode. I'm using it together with the vertical zoom mode "Zoom to notes in visible area".

Quote:
I also changed a part of the FTC_zoom_to_content_vertically.lua, to it change the vertical zoom to the selection ( and if nothing selected to all content ) can post it here/send to you, if you want. But after I ended I was not sure if this is really helpful maybe "zoom vertically to content inside user view area( and if nothing at the area to all content )" would be what I was really looking for.
I'll see if I can make "zoom vertically to content inside user view area" happen. The "Zoom to notes in visible area" mode in MeMagic currently doesn't work when there's no horizontal zoom happening as well (which qualifies as a bug I guess).

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
EDIT: Oh..the individual links are links to the reaper stash, not links to the scripts! Well..got it sorted
Got no clue what you did there, but I'm glad you got it sorted
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:16 AM   #46
reapero

whenever i run "Zoom to content" my MIDI editor closes and opens back again, unlike in your gifs, where it remains there opened and just zooms.

Why is this happening?

EDIT: I have the script on the mouse modifier forleft click on bottom half of media item
Old 07-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #47
FeedTheCat

Quote:
whenever i run "Zoom to content" my MIDI editor closes and opens back again, unlike in your gifs, where it remains there opened and just zooms.

Why is this happening?

EDIT: I have the script on the mouse modifier forleft click on bottom half of media item
Which script? MeMagic or FTC_Zoom_to_content? MeMagic opens and closes the editor really fast. I haven't found a way to make it work without that, but I'm still trying to . It doesn't show in my gifs because it's barely noticeable when the editor is docked. (At least on Linux).
Old 07-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #48
reapero

This is on windows (i7, Dell laptop), using MeMagic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaI...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #49
FeedTheCat

Quote:
This is on windows (i7, Dell laptop), using MeMagic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xaI...ew?usp=sharing
Uh, that looks horrible.. I'll try to work out a solution. Thx for testing! One more thing, are you using both left and double click scripts?
Old 07-02-2020, 09:05 AM   #50
reapero

I wasnt but i tried now and same result. Also sometimes zoom isnt working.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11vp...ew?usp=sharing
Old 07-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #51
Thonex

Quote:
I updated the first post. There's now a link to the multi-edit-zoom script. Think it works fairly well. The toggling option might work just fine in your workflow!
I also updated all the others scripts, except the MeMagic script itself, which still has certain issues.
Brilliant!! Thanks for all your hard work!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #52
_Stevie_

Finally getting my hands dirty with this one. Love the scroll to content script!
Would it be possible to incorporate that one into the MEMagic script?
So that we could enable / disable scroll or zoom per options in a text editor.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #53
Klangfarben

Hey FTC, would you consider a couple things?

One, could you add scroll to content to the midi editor magic script? I always have the midi editor open on a second screen, so being able to just click on a midi item to update it and both zoom horizontally and scroll to content would be amazing.

Second, for the scroll to content options could you add a scroll to content - centered? I usually only have a large range for parts with stuff like harp, piano, some percussion, etc. so scroll to content centered rather than top or bottom would be really useful.

Thanks so much for all your work! If the above could be implemented it would solve a problem I haven't been able to solve since I started using Reaper.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:14 AM   #54
_Stevie_

Quote:
One, could you add scroll to content to the midi editor magic script? I always have the midi editor open on a second screen, so being able to just click on a midi item to update it and both zoom horizontally and scroll to content would be amazing.
Exactly!

Quote:
Second, for the scroll to content options could you add a scroll to content - centered? I usually only have a large range for parts with stuff like harp, piano, some percussion, etc. so scroll to content centered rather than top or bottom would be really useful.
That's a brilliant idea! Would be really amazing!
Old 07-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #55
FeedTheCat

Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of restructuring MeMagic. There's a lot of improvements coming! The current goal is to make it work as a mouse modifier but also as a standalone configurable zooming action, make it work without restarting the editor, and keep it from creating Undo-points. Most of that is already implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Exactly!
That's a brilliant idea! Would be really amazing!
Sure, I'll add scrolling options. There's definitely space for some more vertical actions

Edit: Just had a funny thought. Smart scroll Wonder how useful that could be

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-03-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #56
Klangfarben

Quote:
Edit: Just had a funny thought. Smart scroll Wonder how useful that could be
Color me interested

Also, have you fed your cat?
Old 07-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #57
_Stevie_

Quote:
Hey FTC,

there is another use case, which might not be covered with the mutli edit zoom, unless I'm missing something.

Some users have the ME always open on a 2nd screen. Therefore, it will never be closed. So, hence the following workflow:

- select multiple items in the arrange
- trigger multi edit zoom
= multiple items are opened in the ME, as expected

- again in the arrange, select one single item
- trigger multi edit zoom again
= the same multiple items stay open in the ME, whereas the expected result would be to only have the newly selected item shown in the ME

It's a tricky one, I know!
Old 07-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #58
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
Also, have you fed your cat?
I obviously don't have a cat, lol

Quote:
Hey FTC,

there is another use case, which might not be covered with the mutli edit zoom, unless I'm missing something.

Some users have the ME always open on a 2nd screen. Therefore, it will never be closed. So, hence the following workflow:

- select multiple items in the arrange
- trigger multi edit zoom
= multiple items are opened in the ME, as expected

- again in the arrange, select one single item
- trigger multi edit zoom again
= the same multiple items stay open in the ME, whereas the expected result would be to only have the newly selected item shown in the ME

It's a tricky one, I know!
I updated the script in the first post. Seems to work now, not sure if there's any side-effects. I'm now using "Open the clicked MIDI item only" to open all selected items. Go figure... Gosh, the zoom is still terribly slow, I'll update it once I'm done with MeMagic.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #59
_Stevie_

Awesome FTC! Looking forward to test this. Do you have a donation link?
I would like to send a little thank you.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:37 AM   #60
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Awesome FTC! Looking forward to test this. Do you have a donation link?
I would like to send a little thank you.
Thx Stevie, I don't have one, but it's somewhere in my TODO list
Old 07-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #61
_Stevie_

Okay, great!

Btw, when you add this at the first line of your script:

Code:
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(-1)
and this to the last line:

Code:
reaper.PreventUIRefresh(1)
then, setting the time selection won't be visible to the user.
This essentially supresses the GUI update.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:18 PM   #62
FeedTheCat

Oops Thanks Stevie! I keep forgetting to add them as it makes no visible difference on Linux.

Alrighty boys, I've been working hard on MeMagic this week and just added scrolling to it. Here's what that can currently look like. No fancy gif with captions and explanations cause I'm really tired Just keep in mind that the new MeMagic script is contextual and can have different behavior based on where you have your mouse. I'll release it in the next couple of days.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #63
Klangfarben

Quote:
Oops Thanks Stevie! I keep forgetting to add them as it makes no visible difference on Linux.

Alrighty boys, I've been working hard on MeMagic this week and just added scrolling to it. Here's what that can currently look like. No fancy gif with captions and explanations cause I'm really tired Just keep in mind that the new MeMagic script is contextual and can have different behavior based on where you have your mouse. I'll release it in the next couple of days.

Thanks so much for your work man. Is it possible to still get scroll to content with this. As in scroll to the note area vertically but do not zoom the notes in/out.

I know it might seem like endless options at this point with the "magic", but I never want the note head size to change vertically. I want to zoom the horizontal content so it fits and then scroll vertically to the area the notes are in. If there are more notes than vertical space, I'm generally looking to scroll to the top of the content.

Anyway, really looking forward to checking out the new version!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28 PM   #64
Not_Here

Hi, I'm Not, and I am a "nervous script adopter"
I sense a weekend project on my schedule.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #65
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Thanks so much for your work man. Is it possible to still get scroll to content with this. As in scroll to the note area vertically but do not zoom the notes in/out.
Yeah, I integrated the scrolling actions. The zooming (there's really not a lot of it) in the gif is my mousewheel. The rest is all scroll to content, and scroll to content in visible area. (P.S: and mode 5)

Quote:
I know it might seem like endless options at this point with the "magic"
It really does seem so, but I guess that's also the point A toolbox to create the zoom/scrolling behavior you want.

Here's the current vertical scroll-modes
-- 4: Scroll to cursor
-- 5: Scroll to cursor, restrict to notes in visible area
-- 6: Scroll to cursor, restrict to notes in item
-- 7: Scroll to lowest note in visible area
-- 8: Scroll to lowest note in item
-- 9: Scroll to highest note in visible area
-- 10: Scroll to highest note in item
-- 11: Scroll to note center in visible area
-- 12: Scroll to note center in item

The note center one can be a bit hit or miss as sometimes it shows you nothing, just the empty space in between two notes. I'll add something like "zoom to highest density of notes" which is quite easy to make, then we can look to make it smarter afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
Hi, I'm Not, and I am a "nervous script adopter"
I sense a weekend project on my schedule.
Hi Not

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-10-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:19 PM   #66
juan_r

This script collection seems quite good to iron out a few UI quirks. How about ReaPack-ing it?

(I admit I'm a sucker for ReaPack. One of Cockos's genius moves!)
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #67
Klangfarben

Quote:
The note center one can be a bit hit or miss as sometimes it shows you nothing, just the empty space in between two notes. I'll add something like "zoom to highest density of notes" which is quite easy to make, then we can look to make it smarter afterwards.
That sounds brilliant!
Old 07-10-2020, 03:17 PM   #68
_Stevie_

FTC, this is crazy, will test this over the weekend!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
This script collection seems quite good to iron out a few UI quirks. How about ReaPack-ing it?

(I admit I'm a sucker for ReaPack. One of Cockos's genius moves!)
Not doubting the devs ingenuity, but Reapack is coded by Christian Fillion and has nothing to do with Cockos
Old 07-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #69
daniellumertz

Quote:

I'll see if I can make "zoom vertically to content inside user view area" happen. The "Zoom to notes in visible area" mode in MeMagic currently doesn't work when there's no horizontal zoom happening as well (which qualifies as a bug I guess).

So what I changed is this ( In zoom vertically

Code:
-- Get lowest and highest pitch in take -- changed to select notes
local i = 0  -- loop to see if is any MIDI NOTE SELECTED
repeat
  local ret, sel, _, _, _, _, pitch = reaper.MIDI_GetNote(take, i)
   if sel == true then result = 1  end
   i = i + 1
until not ret
if not result then result = 0 end

if result == 0 then -- nothing is selected
local i = 0
repeat
    local ret, _, _, _, _, _, pitch = reaper.MIDI_GetNote(take, i)
      if ret then
          note_lo = math.min(note_lo, pitch)
          note_hi = math.max(note_hi, pitch)
      end
    i = i + 1
until not ret
end

if result == 1 then -- something is selected
local i = 0
repeat
    if sel == true then
      if ret then
          note_lo = math.min(note_lo, pitch)
          note_hi = math.max(note_hi, pitch)
      end
    end
    i = i + 1
until not ret
end

if note_hi == -1 then
    note_lo, note_hi = base_note, base_note
end
So the zoom vertical script applies to selected notes not all MIDI item.

if i could get the start and end values of what the user is seeing I could Apply to the code above.

Instead of filtering the notes ( that go to the math.min and math.max) if them are selected like I did here :

Code:
    if sel == true then
I would change to filter if the note is in visible area.

I wanted that because I normally change the MIDI item by selections in arrange, or track list, and wanna to change the zoom pressing some action in the MIDI.

Sorry if this is already possible,

I read that

Quote:
This script temporarily changes the MIDI editor settings to make multi-editing possible. If your current settings do not support multi-editing behavior by default and you want to use the tracklist to change active takes, consider enabling the toggle setting inside the script. With toggling enabled the script will toggle between opening and closing the editor, while also toggling between the required multi-edit settings and your original MIDI editor settings.
But couldn't find the Multi-Edit Zoom to download now in the first post, strange, am I missing something ?

Thanks !
daniellumertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:21 AM   #70
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I will at some point in the near future. I really wish something like ReaPack was natively developed by Cockos. That would definitely be a game changer in my opinion.

Quote:
Sorry if this is already possible,
Hi Daniel, I think the new MeMagic script will have you covered. I'll try releasing it first thing tomorrow morning.
Quote:
But couldn't find the Multi-Edit Zoom to download now in the first post, strange, am I missing something ?

Thanks !
Thx! Must have accidentally deleted the link. I'll add it right away
Old 07-12-2020, 06:25 AM   #71
FeedTheCat

Ok boys, I know it took a while, but the magic is here! I updated the first post. This is now the most powerful tool in the arsenal. This script should be really easy to use and tweak! As the code has become quite complicated I'm expecting quite a few bugs in the beginning. So please report everything you encounter and hopefully we'll make this thing solid as a rock in the upcoming weeks! I'd also appreciate some general feedback, what is missing, what seems useful to you and what does not etc.

Once this version is relatively stable, I'm thinking that the next milestone will be multi-editing. The script will become aware of all selected items and capable of zooming and scrolling to them. And I'll also add multi-item modes like "zoom to all items on track", to make navigation easier. Suggestions and ideas are welcome

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-12-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:51 AM   #72
juan_r

Quote:
FTC, this is crazy, will test this over the weekend!!!
Not doubting the devs ingenuity, but Reapack is coded by Christian Fillion and has nothing to do with Cockos
Oops... it's so wonderfully integrated into Reaper that I thought it was a native extension.
Sorry Christian, and my respect for such an impressive piece of work!
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #73
FeedTheCat

Small update (v1.3):

- The "Scroll to note center" modes now use the median of all notes in the given area.

- The double click modifier now opens the video window on gif and mp4 items. Not midi zoom related, but a nice touch for all the GIFs I've been creating
Old 07-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #74
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

Hi,
Please could you tell how to run this script?
I have downloaded it, put it into the Reaper "scripts" folder, then, when i go to Reaper's action menu, and hit "magic" or "ftc" it gives nothing...
Am I missing something?

(and, of course : thank you for this great script!)
sinkmusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #75
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
Hi,
Please could you tell how to run this script?
I have downloaded it, put it into the Reaper "scripts" folder, then, when i go to Reaper's action menu, and hit "magic" or "ftc" it gives nothing...
Am I missing something?

(and, of course : thank you for this great script!)
Sure, you have to bind the script to a hotkey, as its behavior changes based on where you have your mouse cursor when you run it. I highly recommend making the scope of the shortcut global.

I listed the contexts in which it does something in the first post. The behavior for each context is defined by two numbers (modes) at the top of the script.

Alternatively the action can also be used as a mouse modifier in Preferences > Editing Behavior > Mouse Modifiers > Item. If you want to open items with a specific default zoom behavior that is. I like it when the item opens and it's already zoomed to content.

Anyhow, get started by binding it to a hotkey and use it on different areas of the midi editor. You can also keep the hotkey pressed for smooth transitions!
Old 07-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #76
Thonex

Hey FTC,

Congrats on the update!!

[EDIT] -- User error. IU had the script pref of follow cursor ON... so if my cursor was out of the items' range, then nothing would happen.

Would it be possible to add a boolean?:

if (cursor is out of range of selected items) then
open the selected items anyway
end

I tried turning the Follow Cursor pref off and if multiple items are selected nothing happens. Any ideas?

================================================== ==========================================
It seems to be working great on a single item from the Arrange area. but when multiple items are selected and I then run the script (using a key command), then they get deselected and nothing happens.

I took a quick glance at the code to see if there's a pref I should update but didn't notice one.

Am I missing something?
================================================== ==========================================

Cheers,

Andrew K

Last edited by Thonex; 07-12-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #77
sinkmusic

Thank you for your explanation, FeedTheCat.
... but... sorry to sound bold, but... how do i find your script (once it is downloaded and put into the Reaper "script" folder)?
I know how to link a script to a shortkey or a toolbar button, but i do not see your script in the action list
I must be missing something obvious...
Old 07-12-2020, 01:57 PM   #78
_Stevie_

Quote:
... but... sorry to sound bold, but... how do i find your script (once it is downloaded and put into the Reaper "script" folder)?
I know how to link a script to a shortkey or a toolbar button, but i do not see your script in the action list
You have to manually add the script in the action window.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #79
sinkmusic

Quote:
You have to manually add the script in the action window.
Thank you, i got it now (action panel > Reascript > load)
Old 07-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #80
FeedTheCat

@Andrew

I'm a bit confused by the editing You solved the issue right? I can add that boolean, I'll have to think about it a bit since the whole script is designed to be spammable (keeping the hotkey pressed) and opening the editor over and over would be costly. Why do you want to use this script to open items in the first place? Hmm, do you use selection is bound to visibility?

The behavior in the arrange context should look something like this (when keeping the hotkey pressed and without the time selection)

Quote:
It the actions window there should be a button that says "Load Reascript" or "New action". Use that to load the script. You can edit the script from the actions window as well (with a button that says "Edit Action" or "Edit Reascript").

Edit: Hmm, did they recently change these buttons

Edit 2: I just pushed a minor update that should make certain scroll transitions smoother. On that note, I'll look into ReaPack this week so you guys don't have to manually update every time.

Last edited by FeedTheCat; 07-12-2020 at 02:29 PM.