Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 01:40 AM   #1
BCF1
Human being with feelings

Default The Beatles (if they were to release a song today)

Not intended to harm, upset or make fun of any human being on our planet or any other planet. One of my own children identifies with the pronouns They/Them/Theirs. They, as well as myself and some others thought this to be really catchy and fun as intended.

https://app.box.com/s/prbdi38cp2rxkvwfjj2d8ah6nkc8g4mt

Last edited by BCF1; 03-21-2023 at 07:13 PM.
BCF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 02:42 AM   #2
Cosmic

This feels a bit mean spirited.

Its actually the second attempt at humour around this subject I've been exposed to in recent days. Its not for me.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:02 AM   #3
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post

Its actually the second attempt at humour around this subject I've been exposed to in recent days. Its not for me.
I agree.

Way to punch down. I prefer political messages in music to punch up, not have a go at ordinary people trying to be accepted by society. Seems the very opposite of rock music's roots.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 03:02 AM   #4
BCF1

Quote:

Absolutely no negative feelings or energy intended. My child relates with and prefers the "They" pronoun. We both enjoyed it. However I understand may not be for everyone and respect your view.
Thank you for listening and commenting
Old 03-21-2023, 03:05 AM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCF1 View Post
Absolutely no negative feelings or energy intended. My child relates with and prefers the "They" pronoun. We both enjoyed it. However I understand may not be for everyone and respect your view.
Apologies if this was taken the wrong way, it's very hard to judge tone without context, especially for sensitive issues, and it didn't come across to me in the way it was intended.

No hard feelings
Old 03-21-2023, 03:09 AM   #6
BCF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I agree.

Way to punch down. I prefer political messages in music to punch up, not have a go at ordinary people trying to be accepted by society. Seems the very opposite of rock music's roots.

As I responded to Cosmic above
No intent of passing negativity
My child associates with the "They" pronoun and we both enjoyed it.
I don't see it as anything but fun and wish no one harm.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:12 AM   #7
Judders

Quote:
As I responded to Cosmic above
No intent of passing negativity
My child associates with the "They" pronoun and we both enjoyed it.
I don't see it as anything but fun and wish no one harm.
It's cool, I get it now. People just have itchy trigger fingers because of all the bigotry around gender going around right now.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:23 AM   #8
BCF1

Quote:
Apologies if this was taken the wrong way, it's very hard to judge tone without context, especially for sensitive issues, and it didn't come across to me in the way it was intended.

No hard feelings
Absolutely. No hard feelings.
I really don't see it as negative
The reality is there are many people that don't understand the way these pronouns are used, if one isn't exposed to this topic it's confusing. Can't tell you how many people think I have twins because most folks consider "They" as plural.
Anyway don't want to offend anyone
I could take it down if I knew how.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:07 AM   #9
Frank Lee Scarlett

I found it funny.

For the love of dog, do people really get offended this easily over everything now? That's pathetic. I mean, really pathetic.

Nice harmonies, and it's all in good fun.

The fact that one of your kids identifies with "they" and THEY didn't get offended, shows that it's always people that aren't part of a particular group who think they need to police the world on everyone else's behalf. (It's usually hairy legged white women, but not always, as we see here).

It has ruined the comedy industry, the music industry, the movie industry, and pretty much everything else that has to do with ENTERTAINMENT.

Please stop, for christ's sake.
Frank Lee Scarlett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:31 AM   #10
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee Scarlett View Post
I found it funny.

For the love of dog, do people really get offended this easily over everything now? That's pathetic. I mean, really pathetic.

The fact that one of your kids identifies with "they" and THEY didn't get offended, shows that it's always people that aren't part of a particular group who think they need to police the world on everyone else's behalf. (It's usually hairy legged white women, but not always, as we see here).

It has ruined the comedy industry, the music industry, the movie industry, and pretty much everything else that has to do with ENTERTAINMENT.

Do people really get triggered this easily over everything now? That's pathetic. I mean, really pathetic.

No-one said they were offended. You're the first person in this thread acting like they have been offended. The rest of us had a civil discussion.

You explain yourself that knowing the context affected your interpretation of the intent. Watch any right-leaning media channel to see how making fun of trans and non-binary people is a sport for many. All I said, before knowing the context, was that I like artistic messages that punch up, not punch down. I've always felt that way, and it includes comedy and movies too (that's why I grew up being into metal, Bill Hicks, Terry Gilliam etc..).

You've turned a perfectly civil thread where people explain their perspectives to each other into some stereotypical culture war bollocks.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:56 AM   #11
Time Waster

I thought it was fun. There are similar issues in my family. It's so confusing.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:29 AM   #12
Coachz

Quote:
They refers to two or more people. Has the word been redefined? Is it common to redefine chilidogs... I mean words
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #13
Fergler

This is a perfectly acceptable parody of a person who would go out of their way (<--'their' refers to an ambiguous/theoretical person whose sex is unknown, common parlance in Canada, anyway) to feign acceptance of gender identity, which is picked up as a joke/ridicule by those around them. It's a common method of 'inside joke' which if challenged on could easily be given the 'ol "nah, I mean really, I just don't know, trying to be inclusive" while they hold back laughter.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:42 AM   #14
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
They refers to two or more people. Has the word been redefined? Is it common to redefine chilidogs... I mean words
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
The Oxford English Dictionary traces singular they back to 1375...
Apart from being wrong; singular "they" predates modern English as we know it by 4 centuries, it is also ridiculous to pretend that words don't change their meaning all the time.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:53 AM   #15
Coachz

https://youtu.be/0Rl9Cxc7uZA?t=24

Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:16 PM   #16
Cosmic

Quote:
I found it funny.

I wasnt offended until you showed up with this reactionary hot take.

Now THATS funny.

I knew this thread would become unsavory
Old 03-24-2023, 07:17 AM   #17
chmaha

Quote:
The fact that one of your kids identifies with "they" and THEY didn't get offended…
This is not a good metric to determine whether something is offensive.

Quote:
Not intended to…
I also think when a thread starts with the line "Not intended to harm, upset or make fun of any human being..." it means there's every chance it will do just that. I'd suggest if that line enters your head, probably sit on your hands.

Last edited by chmaha; 03-24-2023 at 09:20 AM.
chmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 10:55 AM   #18
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Do people really get triggered this easily over everything now? That's pathetic. I mean, really pathetic.

No-one said they were offended. You're the first person in this thread acting like they have been offended. The rest of us had a civil discussion.

You explain yourself that knowing the context affected your interpretation of the intent. Watch any right-leaning media channel to see how making fun of trans and non-binary people is a sport for many. All I said, before knowing the context, was that I like artistic messages that punch up, not punch down. I've always felt that way, and it includes comedy and movies too (that's why I grew up being into metal, Bill Hicks, Terry Gilliam etc..).

You've turned a perfectly civil thread where people explain their perspectives to each other into some stereotypical culture war bollocks.

What a pathetic attempt at explaining yourself. You ARE offended by the song, hence your idiotic response to it. I don't get "offended" by idiotic responses. I just laugh at them and call them out. Sorry if I hurt your overly fragile feelings.

HAHA! Comparing a harmless little song to "Right-Wing leaning Media". Get over yourself.

Last edited by Frank Lee Scarlett; 03-24-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:57 AM   #19
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
I wasnt offended until you showed up with this reactionary hot take.
Yes. You were. Hypocrite.

Quote:
Now THATS funny.
Nice try. You already made it painfully obvious that you're not capable of finding anything funny, you phony. LOL! That was very weak.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #20
Cosmic

Quote:
Yes. You were. Hypocrite.

Nice try. You already made it painfully obvious that you're not capable of finding anything funny, you phony. LOL! That was very weak.
You seem to be a fairly unpleasant character. I'll leave you to it.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:03 AM   #21
Frank Lee Scarlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmaha View Post
This is not a good metric to determine whether something is offensive.
Yes it is. In fact, it's the ONLY way to gauge it.

But, I'll give you credit for at least admitting you found it offensive, unlike the 2 other hypocrites who tried back tracking from their initial childish reactions.

I think some of you need to stick your phony"guilt" up your ass and let the people that you think you're speaking for speak for themselves.

BCF1. Just be yourself. Nothing wrong with your song.

I'm out. I can't lower my IQ enough to waste any more time here.
Old 03-24-2023, 11:58 AM   #22
Judders

Quote:
What a pathetic attempt at explaining yourself. You ARE offended by the song, hence your idiotic response to it. I don't get "offended" by idiotic responses. I just laugh at them and call them out. Sorry if I hurt your overly fragile feelings.

HAHA! Comparing a harmless little song to "Right-Wing leaning Media". Get over yourself.
Yawn. My feelings are fine, but thank you for caring, you gave me a tingle.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:06 PM   #23
BCF1

Quote:

I also think when a thread starts with the line "Not intended to harm, upset or make fun of any human being..." it means there's every chance it will do just that. I'd suggest if that line enters your head, probably sit on your hands.
Quote:

I also think when a thread starts with the line "Not intended to harm, upset or make fun of any human being..." means there's every chance it will do just that. I'd suggest if that line enters your head, probably sit on your hands.

The post didn't start with a disclaimer originally. With intent being questioned and the debate starting soon after posting It was edited in an attempt to quell misunderstanding of the nature and spirit of the material, albeit as you pointed out having the disclaimer of not intending offence is in itself acknowledging the possibly of offense.
I live with this topic in my home every day and regardless of what side of the debate on pronuons one may be i dont see how someone can not see the humour in how confusing the use of said pronouns can be in both written and verbal communications. The world may enter a time where the global population is aware of and accepted this new use and definition of pronouns, but until then i will continue explaining that no i dont have twins and continue loving my amazing child regardless of what They/Them/Theirs whats to be reference as. Maybe my kid is better Adjusted or more secure then other folks out there. I dont know. I do know that we laugh and joke about the pronoun thing all the time.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:22 PM   #24
chmaha

Quote:
I live with this topic in my home every day
As do I.

Quote:
Maybe my kid is better Adjusted or more secure then other folks out there. I dont know. I do know that we laugh and joke about the pronoun thing all the time.
You and your kid may find the funny side but I can assure you that many don't feel the same way. It's why I said it is not a good metric for gauging whether something is offensive. Trying to understand why others might find it offensive is going to be part of the learning process. That said, I'm extremely happy that you accept your child for who they are. That's the most important thing. But here is probably not the place to post such problematic material.

Frankly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down.

Last edited by chmaha; 03-24-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:03 PM   #25
Fergler

Quote:
Frankly, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been shut down.
Because shutting down debate is as much a part of the problem as having the radical opinions in the first place. There are some emotions here, but it's really not even close to bar-fight vitriol.

By the same way that the OP is assumed to not be considering the feelings of a group of people, one must assume their own opinions may have bias or be learned from experiences unique to oneself.

It is perfectly allowable to have a negative option toward gender dysphoria; it's a nuanced topic nearly impossible to have experienced every facet of. An 18 year old college student in a liberal city and a 35 year old parent of a 10 year old may have wildly different lived experience and concerns, and if their opinions were formed from outside of those environments and went against the grain the social pressure to not voice that opinion is becoming immense, from both sides. That, to me, is an awful waste of intellect.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:27 PM   #26
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
It is perfectly allowable to have a negative option toward gender dysphoria; it's a nuanced topic nearly impossible to have experienced every facet of.
Oh please. This is a forum about a DAW. We shouldn't be having ANY discussion about sex, politics or religion.
Old 03-27-2023, 02:29 PM   #27
Fergler

"REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion"

Should we only be talking about the recording quality of the song?
Is music not meant for anything more than sonic pleasure?
Old 03-27-2023, 02:31 PM   #28
chmaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
"REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion"

Should we only be talking about the recording quality of the song?
Is music not meant for anything more than sonic pleasure?
Indeed, it should be about audio engineering and the quality of the song. The song is a carbon copy of a Beatles song musically so there's nothing to say there. But, the lyrics are a red flag and should not have been posted in the first place.

Last edited by chmaha; 03-27-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:21 PM   #29
Tinderwet

Quote:
I found it funny.

Great post, I agree completely. All the exaggerated negative reactions to the OP are examples of the ongoing decline of general intelligence since the last glacial period.
Tinderwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 10:45 PM   #30
BCF1

Quote:
Indeed, it should be about audio engineering and the quality of the song. The song is a carbon copy of a Beatles song musically so there's nothing to say there. But, the lyrics are a red flag and should not have been posted in the first place.
I'm all for voicing ones opinion and understand folks may have opposing views. That's great, i respect that.

When you say
"it should not have been posted in the first place"

Respectfully,
That to me is a red flag.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:06 AM   #31
Time Waster

How many of the people who are offended have any experience with, or are themselves, gender non specific? I ask not to point the finger, I would genuinely like to know where the offense stems from.

Humor is often used to highlight social injustice and to call attitudes into question. This is humorous look at what the Beatles would have write to avoid offending any of the various sexualities that we accept today. It's a point for discussion, not blind offense.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:06 AM   #32
41TWIN

I didn't listen to the song because of the controversy. My goal in life is to love others around me, and respect them regardless of any difference I have in my beliefs.

But one thing I think is at the core of this issue is that, to require everyone around you to say the right words to not offend you is bordering impossible, if we are easily offended. Plus it seems a bit arrogant to actually require that. Like, since I'm a Christian, me requiring everyone else to act in the way I feel appropriate, is impossible. I can't even follow what "rules" I think are indicitave of good behavior 100 percent of the time. Cuz everyone is imperfect. We all fail at things and we all can't know EVERYTHING.

I was raised in a time when you say Sir and Ma'am to people out of respect. To completely uproot those habits of 50 years is not easily done. If someone wants to be understood, they might have to give some understanding too. If I AM offended by something someone says, there's no issue with me asking them politely to refrain. But I really don't think it's my right to expect them to oblige. They might out of kindness. They might not. In the case of a public space, I can just move on to a place I feel more comfortable. If it's like a work issue, then go to your superior if you want to take it that far. But I mean, there are nice people, there are jerky people. Sometimes jerky people change. Sometimes nice people change. Sometimes they don't. That's life. People are people.

In my opinion, expecting everyone around you to act the way you want them to is a mild version of Fascism. It's maybe not quite as extreme as that, but in some cases, I think it is. People want the people around them to BELIEVE as they do. That's like..... wrong and dangerous, IMHO. We are all different with different experiences.

If there is a way to show kindness to each other despite our differences, in my opinion that is the most productive way. But again, you mileage may vary. If you feel like you gotta take people to court (or verbally task) and require them to act like you want them to, well, that's your prerogative. I don't get it though.

What I find strange is that it used to be the 1st ammendment was HIGHLY regarded by people. But somehow those same people don't see requiring people around them to say the right thing as encroaching on Freedom of Speech. ????

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by 41TWIN; 04-05-2023 at 09:18 AM.
41TWIN is offline   Reply With Quote