Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 01-02-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
keener3rd
Human being with feelings

Default Script Failure After Operating System Update

Hello,

I'm using the ARM version of Reaper on a MacBook Pro and everything was working perfectly until the Ventura update. I've been using a script a forum member shared (attached), which kills everything running in any project tabs that aren't the active tab, but the script hasn't worked since the operating system update.

Has anyone else run into a similar issue with scripts no longer working? If not, are there any other scripts out there that can perform the same function?

Thanks!
Glen
Attached Files
File Type: lua me2beats_Stop all playing projects but current one.lua (393 Bytes, 167 views)
keener3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:31 AM   #2
vitalker

I'll take a look whether I can reimplement functionality.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:15 AM   #3
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
I'll take a look whether I can reimplement functionality.
Thank you very much! If it helps, the context is that we put each song into a project tab and have lights, backing tracks, video, vocal cues and guitar pedal changes set up. There are markers in each file that make the next tab active when we finish a song and a marker with the command ID for that script that would stop anything in another tab at the beginning of each song. Screen shots attached if that helps.

Thanks again!
Glen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 1.jpg (205.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Image 2.jpg (210.1 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by keener3rd; 01-03-2023 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:21 AM   #4
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener3rd View Post
Thank you very much! If it helps, the context is that we put each song into a project tab and have lights, backing tracks, video, vocal cues and guitar pedal changes set up. There are markers in each file that make the next tab active when we finish a song and a marker with the command ID for that script that would stop anything in another tab at the beginning of each song. Screen shots attached if that helps.

Thanks again!
Glen
Okay, thanks for the info. The screenshots show just first track. I don't know how it may help me.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #5
keener3rd

Quote:
Okay, thanks for the info. The screenshots show just first track. I don't know how it may help me.
Whoops! My first attempt at screen shots on a Mac...and it was an epic fail. 😂 I’ll update them in a few.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #6
Wallaby

Quote:
Whoops! My first attempt at screen shots on a Mac...and it was an epic fail. 😂 I’ll update them in a few.
Command + Shift + 4
Screenshot of selected area with mouse click and hold and drag a diagonal, release the mouse makes the screenshot, onto desktop.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:55 AM   #7
keener3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
Command + Shift + 4
Screenshot of selected area with mouse click and hold and drag a diagonal, release the mouse makes the screenshot, onto desktop.
Thanks! My issue turned out to be that the resolution was way too large, so I just reduced it and the images were updated successfully. Always learning something new on the Mac!
Old 01-04-2023, 01:42 PM   #8
vitalker

Quote:
Thanks! My issue turned out to be that the resolution was way too large, so I just reduced it and the images were updated successfully. Always learning something new on the Mac!
Actually on new screenshots you are showing what you described in the first post.

Also you didn't mention what is not working in that script.
Old 01-04-2023, 02:19 PM   #9
keener3rd

Quote:
Actually on new screenshots you are showing what you described in the first post.

Also you didn't mention what is not working in that script.
Right. I just wanted to provide the visual of how we are doing everything in case I didn't articulate it well enough.

The Marker at the end of each song does make the next tab active as expected. When kicking off the song on the active tab, the script used to kill everything on the previous tab when the cursor hit the Marker. Unfortunately, now the script will stop the cursor, but it doesn't kill the signal for the stage lights (DMXIS track) from the previous tab.

Our backup machine is a Windows laptop and we share the .rpp files via a google drive. The scripts works on the Windows machine without issue.

Thanks again!
Glen
Old 01-04-2023, 05:33 PM   #10
keener3rd

Quote:
Right. I just wanted to provide the visual of how we are doing everything in case I didn't articulate it well enough.

The Marker at the end of each song does make the next tab active as expected. When kicking off the song on the active tab, the script used to kill everything on the previous tab when the cursor hit the Marker. Unfortunately, now the script will stop the cursor, but it doesn't kill the signal for the stage lights (DMXIS track) from the previous tab.

Our backup machine is a Windows laptop and we share the .rpp files via a google drive. The scripts works on the Windows machine without issue.

Thanks again!
Glen
Quick update. The script no longer stops the cursor. I thought it did based on some testing a few days ago, but realized our click track ends naturally and not due to the cursor. So basically, the script has just completely stopped working. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Old 01-05-2023, 02:09 AM   #11
vitalker

Quote:
Quick update. The script no longer stops the cursor. I thought it did based on some testing a few days ago, but realized our click track ends naturally and not due to the cursor. So basically, the script has just completely stopped working. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Actually I am still thinking what can cause this behavior. Do you know that you have to put marker a little bit before the project ends (let's say, 1/128 before). Did you test same projects on both machines?
Old 01-05-2023, 05:02 AM   #12
vitalker

You can try instead toggle action:
Project tabs: Play stopped background projects with active project
Old 01-05-2023, 07:38 AM   #13
keener3rd

Quote:
Actually I am still thinking what can cause this behavior. Do you know that you have to put marker a little bit before the project ends (let's say, 1/128 before). Did you test same projects on both machines?
Yes on both accounts. My guitarist typically updates the files on his Win laptop and then I copy them over to the Mac. We've been using this setup (a Mac and a Win laptop) for a little over a year and it's worked flawlessly for our practices and gigs. Before getting the Mac, we used the same approach with two Windows laptops for a few years.

Depending on whether the gig is two or three sets, I'll save a list of open projects as a set list, so that will contain anywhere from 15 - 25 project tabs (one for each song).

The command ID for the "kill" script is different on the Mac than the command ID for the Windows laptop, so we have one marker with the Mac command ID and one with the Win command ID in each project.

After typing that out, I decided to delete the marker with the Win "kill" command ID, test the "kill" script...and it worked! I still need to test this out at our practice space with the stage lights, TVs, etc. hooked up, but this may be the path forward. If so, my hope is that I can take the me2beats script on the Mac, import that on the Win laptop and have them both utilize the same command ID.

I'm hoping to get this tested in the next few days, so I'll provide an update as soon as I can.

Thanks!
Glen
Old 01-05-2023, 07:53 AM   #14
vitalker

Here is a post that might be useful for you:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...60&postcount=6
Old 01-05-2023, 07:54 AM   #15
vitalker

Quote:
You can try instead toggle action:
Project tabs: Play stopped background projects with active project
Did you try this method?
Also what name does your marker with this script have? Perhaps I know a way how to change that to unify for all machines.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:02 AM   #16
vitalker

Here is a good solution (about reaper-kb):
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=4

Just name it same on both machines.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:48 AM   #17
keener3rd

Quote:
Here is a post that might be useful for you:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...60&postcount=6
Good to know! Mine is in Scripts -> Custom Scripts, so I'll check on the Win machine and get those set to the same location.

Thanks!
Old 01-05-2023, 09:56 AM   #18
keener3rd

Quote:
Did you try this method?
Also what name does your marker with this script have? Perhaps I know a way how to change that to unify for all machines.
I haven't tried that method yet, but I am al little confused on how playing the stopped projects would help. If I have the previous project running and I go to start the next project, wouldn't that start all of the other stopped projects in addition to the one I need started?

The Windows marker is !_RS5127f0364c49969dc2c9077a67211ccbe2b4d40d.

Thanks again!
Glen
Old 01-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #19
keener3rd

Quote:
Here is a good solution (about reaper-kb):
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=4

Just name it same on both machines.
I can attempt to pull this off in the next few days when we get together for testing.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:00 AM   #20
vitalker

Quote:
I haven't tried that method yet, but I am al little confused on how playing the stopped projects would help. If I have the previous project running and I go to start the next project, wouldn't that start all of the other stopped projects in addition to the one I need started?

The Windows marker is !_RS5127f0364c49969dc2c9077a67211ccbe2b4d40d.

Thanks again!
Glen
Okay, then use what Ada Mespotine wrote. That toggle won't run anything, it's just turning On/off this ability. Just try.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:17 AM   #21
keener3rd

Quote:
Good to know! Mine is in Scripts -> Custom Scripts, so I'll check on the Win machine and get those set to the same location.

Thanks!
I just moved the Mac script to the same location as the Win script and the command IDs now match! I deleted the Marker with the previous Mac command ID, ran a quick test on the Mac and it was successful. I think this will resolve our issue once and for all and make maintenance easier going forward, so I’ll report back after this weekend’s testing. 🤞🏻

Once again, I really appreciate your help!!!
Glen
Old 01-05-2023, 10:18 AM   #22
vitalker

Cool!
Old 01-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #23
keener3rd

Been testing and troubleshooting for the last few hours and, although the script is stopping the all non-midi tracks on the previous project tab, it is not stopping the midi note associated with the lights from that tab. 😕

It’s weird because there are no issues with the lights starting up. The problem is that, with the kill script failing, the lights from the previous song overlap with the lights for the current song until the previous midi light track completes. The reason we have the lights extend at the end of songs is so all of the stage lights don’t go dark between songs. I’m stumped because, as I said earlier, this all previously worked flawlessly.
Old 01-09-2023, 09:08 AM   #24
keener3rd

Looks like we’ve at least found a workaround. If we add a very quick all lights on white signal at the start of the file (so quick that it isn’t seen), that to kills the midi signal from the previous tab and the lights work as expected for the current tab.

With our previous setup, the lights would go dark for a split-second between when the kill script stopped the light track from the previous tab and the light track for the current tab started. The workaround we found means we’ll need to update all of our reaper files, but it does result in the same user experience we had before the script issue on my Mac..