Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 05-27-2022, 08:18 AM   #1
amc
Human being with feelings

Default PC on stage and PA speaker for a electric guitar

When setting up a DAW / REAPER on stage, I can seat the Focusrite on a rackcase, but the PC should be elsewhere, unprotected. I fear it might end falling on the floor.
How do you manage to properly place the pc on stage, in a safe way?

I play 2 guitars (acoustic and electric) and have a mic for backvoices, and bring my own gear. So I will use a autoamped PA speaker for all the 3 outputs.

On the other end (and this is off-topic, sorry), I could skip the PC, and use my guitar amp, linked to the PA speaker (instead of a 12" guitar cabinet, Celestion or similar). Is this approach sensible? Line output from a head or combo can be plugged to a autoamped PA?

Thanks

Last edited by amc; 05-27-2022 at 08:22 AM. Reason: forgot last sentence
amc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc View Post
When setting up a DAW / REAPER on stage, I can seat the Focusrite on a rackcase, but the PC should be elsewhere, unprotected. I fear it might end falling on the floor.
How do you manage to properly place the pc on stage, in a safe way?

I play 2 guitars (acoustic and electric) and have a mic for backvoices, and bring my own gear. So I will use a autoamped PA speaker for all the 3 outputs.
I'll usually put the main rack case in a safe looking back corner of the stage area. If I just bring the laptop it sits on top of the rack. If I bring the Mac Pro it sits next to it. Nothing is going to get through that Mac Pro case! That's instantly safe. The laptop would need a safe space for sure but that isn't too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc View Post
On the other end (and this is off-topic, sorry), I could skip the PC, and use my guitar amp, linked to the PA speaker (instead of a 12" guitar cabinet, Celestion or similar). Is this approach sensible? Line output from a head or combo can be plugged to a autoamped PA?

Thanks
So, going from a DAW mixer with complete production under your fingers for anything you need that comes up live while simultaneously recording multitrack to bring home to something like a crude "PA head"? Sounds the polar opposite of "sensible"! But it depends on what you're doing. Sometimes crude and simple gets results and goes a long way.

I finally broke down and bought an X32 Rack a year or so ago. Laptop only to record and the expensive Mac Pro and interface/preamp rack stays home now.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:51 AM   #3
amc

Thanks for your comments. Apologies for the late reply

I don't record anything when playing live . Just play electric guitar and sing.

In both cases FX are essential. Guitar Rig for guitar and common vst (compressor, eq, rev, delay,..) for voice

It means I am force to have a laptop, a Focusrite DAW and an automated speaker (FRFR , for instance), and control REAPER from a MIDI foot controller

You mentioned X32 (Behringer, right, similar to X AIR XR12?) as your new setup.
But, what advantages does it have over mine? You still need a laptop, reaper and guitar rig fx,.. is X12 just a replacement for the DAW?

The hardware option (guitar amp and FX pedal) doesn't convince me. It's simpler to use and set off but FX choices are much more limited than in Guitar Rig.

Thanks
amc is offline   Reply With Quote