COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 06-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Justin
Administrator

Default PathSync feature request thread

Everybody who wants something added to PathSync, request it here. Or discuss what other people have suggested if you think something is or isn't worth doing....
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
User721386
Human being with feelings

Default fuzzy time option

Great, intelligent software. But I have a feature request. Here's the problem first:

After syncing local files to my usb thumb drive, if I click "analyze" a second time, I get a second list of files, even though I just synced. The reason is because a number of files on the thumb drive say they were last revised 2 seconds after the original local file, and therefore are newer, and so pathsync wants, understandably, to update the local files. I am using windows 2000 traditional chinese, sp4. It happens with .doc, .zip, .tif files. But it doesn't happen with every file.

Is there some way to change this behavior in windows, or if not, I would greatly appreciate a checkbox that would ignore a 2 second time difference if the filesize is the same?

Thanks!
User721386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
c2R

When doing a one-way synch (i.e. local --> remote for all files), I would like the ability to ask Pathsync to remove old directories from the remote side that have already been deleted from the local side. This would mean that I wouldn't have to regularly run a script on the remote machine to tidy up the directory list!

Otherwise for what I use it for (remote backups!) it's fantastic - thanks (o:

Chris
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Burrito

"When doing a one-way synch (i.e. local --> remote for all files), I would like the ability to ask Pathsync to remove old directories from the remote side that have already been deleted from the local side."

I second that...this should be the behaviour anyway, imho.
Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
harrkev

Default Sync directories???

I would like to request the ability to synchronize directories...

I know that the name is "PathSync" but it does not quite do that.

If you have any empty directories in local, and do a transfer from local to remote, the empty directories will *NOT* be copied.

If you have removed a directory in local, and do a transfer from local to remote, the directory will NOT be removed. Any files IN the directory will be removed, however.

Otherwise, AWESOME PROGRAM! Thanks!
harrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 AM   #6
c2R

Another problem I occasionally get is when trying to copy files that are in use, pathsync just says that the file cannot be opened, and doesn't copy it. Better behaviour would be just a warning that the file is open, but to copy the version that is saved on the disc anyway.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
RogerM

Default Unicode Support

Well, compile as Unicode. Or at least support UTF-8 but pattern matching in UTF-8 is harder.
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #8
RogerM

Default Multithreaded lookup

This may sound weird but I use it for remote share on a VPN. So the latency is quite high. So having a multithreaded lookup would help a lot in the analysis speed.

The way the WM_TIMER is used is really sick. I now understand why it is slow.

A worker thread should be used (well multiple worker threads in my case

M-A
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:02 AM   #9
Art Evans
Mortal

Quote:
a number of files on the thumb drive say they were last revised 2 seconds after the original local file, and therefore are newer, and so pathsync wants, understandably, to update the local files.
Ah, that would explain some odd things I've seen. Seconded!
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
Matt Merkulov

Handy utility, thanks for making it.

How about making possibility to open several sync jobs (perhaps in tabs), switch between them and run all of them at once? It'll be much more convenient.
Matt Merkulov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
c2R

I'm also finding synchronisation gets very slow when trying to copy 300GB+ of assorted files (ranging from very large to very small - thousands of files in total)

I assume it's storing all the stuff to copy in the RAM during the first phase while it checks dates etc. and then does the copying.... and after the 2GB of RAM I have fills up it spends all week swapping to disk....
Old 04-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #12
c2R

... another thing I've just noticed when copying lots of files across a network, is that sometimes files which are identical and were copied ages ago will appear in the list of files to synch.

If the directory is re-analysed, they will disappear from the list. Not sure why this happens....

I think also we could do with some more organised way of listing / tracking bugs and enhancements to the software....
Old 05-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #13
Klauss35

Default Zip capability

Hey guys:

This is a very nice and useful software but can a zip capability be added on future releases like for example Backzip.

Thanks.
Klauss35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
goatpunch

Default Possible solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by User721386 View Post
Is there some way to change this behavior in windows, or if not, I would greatly appreciate a checkbox that would ignore a 2 second time difference if the filesize is the same?
Sounds like the NTFS/FAT problem that was fixed by Jens Puhlman, and rolled into the 'unofficial' versions 0.33b and 0.33c that can be found on this message board.
goatpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
goatpunch

Default Feature added

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrkev View Post
If you have removed a directory in local, and do a transfer from local to remote, the directory will NOT be removed. Any files IN the directory will be removed, however.
I needed this feature too, so I added it and it's in the latest version, 0.34.

Empty directories are both created and deleted as needed.

Last edited by goatpunch; 08-14-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Updated to mention v0.34
goatpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #16
Zahl

Well, it seems PathSync is not what you'd call Cockos main
project everyone is working on, so this might be a bit over the
top, but I would like to have PathSync use an own protocol and
connection to sync stuff over network/internet (with encryption?)
Right now, I just use windows shares, and a scheduled task that
checks if the other machine is up and if yes performs a sync.
Would be cool to have all this in the program itself, it
should also be easier to detect if the other machine shuts down
during sync process. With windows shares, PathSync just hangs for
some time and then gives lots of error messages.

(And this would also make sync over internet possible )
Zahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:21 AM   #17
hardy

Default Long time archiving

Great program, I use it each day because it is small, reliable, open source and it runs from batch files, well done.

My request is to add a sync option to solve following problem. I do not want to loose files which are deleted from source, these files must be safed in case of the deleting was made by mistake or done by a virus. OK I can enable "do not delete missing files at remote" but this would blow up the backup archive. I would prefer to designate a third folder (source, remote, BACKUP) where Pathsync safes files which are deleted from the source folder and get deleted from the target when syncronized.
Would it be complicated to realize? I suppose this feature is helpful for many people.
hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
antiClick

Default Shutdown windows after sync is completed

I use pathsync to mirror my entire data disc into an external backup disk after every session. To force a windows shutdown after the process is completed would save me a lot of time.

Thank you Justin
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Fabian

here's a thing I'd want right now... touch
So I have a bunch of files of which I know that they are the same on the remote as on the local. Due to the NTFS/FAT DST bug/feature (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...90(VS.85).aspx) PathSync thinks the files on one device is newer/older and wants to copy. It would be great if I could tell it just to touch and thus adjusting the time and not copy the files.

And this touch would change the time stamps on the files of one device to the same as on the other. Thus, I could get files I know are identical to have the same time stamp
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
phrenik

great software, problem is it crashes when trying to scan/move large amounts of data (200+ gb), it crashed during analysis...

anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:16 PM   #21
Kundalinguist

I'm using the stable (35) version almost every day on PC and would not hesitate to use this in OSX if it were available. I'm currently using Deja Vu.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #22
TFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenik View Post
great software, problem is it crashes when trying to scan/move large amounts of data (200+ gb), it crashed during analysis...

anyone else have this problem?
This happens to me, but with larger amounts. Only really started when trying to update my second backup drive from my first one (both have about 700GB of data on them). Not sure if this is something that can be dealt with...

Also: It would be nice if changing the deafult synchronization action didn't require a reanalysis. Couldn't it just run through the list and change it's planned actions, rather than rescanning everything?

Hoping you guys will update Pathsync sometime in the near future, maybe when Reaper 4 is finally ready for release.
TFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Jae.Thomas

does pathsync work with GPT drives?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #24
Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
wish I could queue up syncs and save sets, etc...
I just discovered PathSync yesterday. What a great little program!

Thing in quotes is the only thing I feel is missing.
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #25
antiClick

Where is the help documentation?
Can somebody point me how to use pathsync in the command line?
antiClick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #26
adamkerz

Default Command line

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiClick View Post
Where is the help documentation?
Can somebody point me how to use pathsync in the command line?
Run:
pathsync --help

It's a bit fiddly to put everything into a .pss first, but I'm writing a wrapper in NSIS that also allows a somewhat primitive context menu item that lets you choose dir1 then dir2 in Windows Explorer and then opens Pathsync with both set. I should put a few of these little utilities up for others to use - will work on doing that.

Cheers,

Adam
adamkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
Ravenhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkerz View Post
Run:
pathsync --help

It's a bit fiddly to put everything into a .pss first, but I'm writing a wrapper in NSIS that also allows a somewhat primitive context menu item that lets you choose dir1 then dir2 in Windows Explorer and then opens Pathsync with both set. I should put a few of these little utilities up for others to use - will work on doing that.

Cheers,

Adam
Any news on this? That method would be EXTREMELY helpful.
Ravenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:47 AM   #28
juan_r

I understand PathSync isn't being developed much anymore, but I still use it daily as a rsync replacement for backing up specific directories to a NAS. It works wonderfully.

I would love:

- (Easy, no?) File context menu: open local folder/open remote folder entries (to open File Explorer windows)

- (Harder, likely impossible) Some mechanism to specify a 'non-drive' as a source folder, as when connecting an Android phone to the PC via USB, the phone storage isn't seen as a proper drive, so it's impossible to back up any data from the phone straight to the NAS. The files need to be copied locally (to the computer) first, then from there on to the NAS.

Besides, I haven't quite got what the "sync folders" checkbox does. What's it for?

Thank you for reading after all these years
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote