Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 AM   #1
DaveKeehl
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER CONTEST - JUNE 2019 (FEEDBACK)

REAPER CONTEST - JUNE 2019
(ONLY REAPER PLUGINS ALLOWED!)

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

MIXING: 5-19 June
VOTING: 20-28 June
RESULTS: 30 June

JUNE 2019 PROJECTS
REAPER CONTEST ANALYTICS

Hello everybody

This month you're all going to mix a song called Oh, Life by David Tyo, chosen by user Silver that won last month.

As always you can download the multitrack from the website or clicking on this link.

Happy mixing!
Dave

IMPORTANT:
DO YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THIS CONTEST?

Last edited by DaveKeehl; 07-06-2019 at 02:53 AM.
DaveKeehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
red86549

Hi Dave.. this month we can use every plugin or only reaper plugins??

thanks for this contest..
red86549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
DaveKeehl

Only reaper plugins. July will have no limitations though!
Old 06-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #4
DaveKeehl

2 days left to send your mix!
Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
darjama

didn't have a lot of time with this one. Are there glitches/clicks in the lead vocal, or is there something wrong my download or project file? Otherwise seems very well recorded.
darjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 AM   #6
JHughes
Banned

Yo DaveKeehl, I never see these contests until they're almost over. Can you make one ongoing announce topic to which I can subscribe? Then each announcement in that topic would have a link to it's own thread.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:11 AM   #7
DaveKeehl

Mmmh that is actually a good idea! There is already a pinned thread at the top of the music and collaborations forum. I could use it for that!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:12 AM   #8
DaveKeehl

The website is now updated with the submissions, go vote!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #9
Not_Here

Popped in to give a listen and vote. Why oh why do I keep thinking of Funeral for a Friend/Love lies bleeding?!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
DaveKeehl

Sorry for the delay... life got really busy

Anyway... enough with the talking This month the winner was him once again... the one and only aftercutrecords!

As usual, you are entitled to choose a song for July, which you all will be able to mix with any plugin you you desire to use!

Updated analytics (click it)

June 2019 ranking:

Updated Top 10:

Old 07-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
DaveKeehl

Come on let's give those 4 guys some feedback
Old 07-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #12
grinder

Well done People!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:18 PM   #13
Not_Here

1- Started out very nicely.. Liked the guitar sound. piano was fine.

HH did not sound as nicely eq'd as the other cymbals. too harsh.

Vox got just a bit loud right at the "big note" maybe just a bit harsh? during some held louder notes too

Drums had that 70's vibe reverb goin on. Not that it's a bad thing.
Strange verb tails at end of song - if they were at faded in time or blended better (?) maybe that would have sounded better

2 Vox loud and clear liked the mix with the bk vox at beginning.

Gtr mixed nice with the Piano

Gets crowded though and then there's that HH again on the 4th section.
Something about the snare ( and maybe toms) sounds not right. the snare sounds too much like a little muffled or a pop to me.

Really liked the Fade out at the end with just vox, bass, and the tambourine (what ev's it was)

3. Liked the verb on Vox right away. Piano has nice stereo pan, like how vox sit on top of the soft music behind.

Guitar comes in really nice clear.

Little more DIST on the electrics? dig it. that HH is there but seems a little less harsh

Like that held note from the solo, cuts off just right.

Fade out is tight. Liked it best

4. Interesting Dly on the vox, nice bass sound with the gtr. both come in nicely

great job on the vox mixed with bk vox.
Liked that I could hear the synths on the 4th section
Liked the snare verb, but maybe just a hair too loud, but it still works if it was what you aimed for.

I was not really a Fan of the song. It was still well done, but it ain't on my playlist
and in fact everyone mixed it well. I did see that there was some noise on everyone's (vox)? tracks? I ignored it for the sake of the contest.

I did come to like the (IMHO) 70's vibe thing in it and structure. It's kind of grew on me between the Voting and Feedback. I know my notes may not be really technical, but I just wanted to give some positive type feedback and quick notes on what I heard
Nice Mixes Everyone!
Old 07-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
aftercutrecords

Default My feedback!

1) Piano very warm, vocals very upfront, but I would automate some of the vocals up a little bit when they fade into the background.

The vocals are super dynamic, in a good way. I LOVE the way you did the background vocals. I'm a big fan of that sound when it comes to the background vocals.

The guitar sounds a little anemic, like a fuzzy thing being stroked in the background. The lead is nicer, but the panning to the left is a little strange for a lead element. It fits better when everything comes back in, but still.

The drums are okay, but they sound unnecessarily roomy. I would consider the following: with everything else carved out nicely already, having those drums ALSO uncarved in the lower midrange, makes a significant difference in relative frequency content. So the drums being very roomy fits, but they also lack some punch to them that makes the vocals feel like they're kinda floating over a soft room pad and some distant drums. I did like the toms and the drum tones, but I didn't feel like they fit with the slightly more punchy tone of the rest of it. This becomes obvious with the slightly poofy distortion right at the intro to the final chorus like 2.2 minutes in.

Overall, I enjoyed your mix, but it wasn't very aggressive in a way that seemed to make a difference with the cohesion of the track later on. As dynamic as the vocals were, the drums not having much solid punch really made the whole thing feel a little washy. Still a great job and I would accept this gladly to listen while falling asleep. It captures that environment of gentle emotive music.

2) Very compressed, with a very overbearing bassline. The whole song becomes a little when drums come in, which is a same because I like the tone of the drums a lot. You can hear in the crushing of the cymbals and the way the drums kinda "pop" then drop off how compressed everything is. It would be cool for a "sucking the air out of the room" kind of effect, but I ACTUALLY think this track would be way better without that crushing compression. The elements are all there, the stuff would sit really nicely if it wasn't pumping so much. But the compression threw off the dynamics, in an unfortunate way.
I'm reminded of one of my favorite albums with one of the most unfortunate mastering choices. Keep in mind, I can still hear the elements of the music, here, and it doesn't hurt ot listen to. I like the guitar tones especially. But the quiet parts are LOUDER than the loud parts because the compression isn't crushing them as hard. This creates an unevene dynamic that feels like it loses energy as it's supposed to gain it. Everything feels like it falls into the background when it's really supposed to hit. However, I heard way more what you were going for when it IS loud, because all the elements are clearly blended in a pleasant way, although the piano might be a little loud at that point. I like how smooth the lead is, too.
Honestly, I would've put this as a top contender if it wasn't so pumpy!

3) I'm pretty sure this one is mine? Anyway, if I could critique it in some kinda way, I would say that I wasn't big on the way the drums were a little too compressed for my taste and the piano was a little too loud when the lead guitar part is there. But I'm in good company, as it seems! I also wish I had made my background vocals more like #1.

4) Immediately notice how loud it is, and how there's some delay on the vocals.Nice space. I'd say this mix sounds really warm and has some analogish grit to it. Especially on the vocals. I LOVE the room you gave to the tambourine. I tried to do that and wasn't nearly as effective. The acoustic is very warm. The only thing I didn't like about this mix was the drum tone! The kick and toms were okay, but It seemed to have a lot of bottom snares. The reverbs were really cool, but honestly... the mix feels a little small. Likely due to the crowding of stuff from 200hz to 400hz. But the vocals sound really good and the strings, while stylistically loud, are really nice. I like how they took charge, actually.
Overall, pretty good mix, but I feel like it could be ever so slightly cleaned up. You clearly have an ear for this, and a lot of this stuff is just preference!
aftercutrecords is offline   Reply With Quote