Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
GreyBeard
Human being with feelings

Default Firewire HD?

I have a 120 G (Fantom Drive) Firewire Hard drive that came bundled with my FireStudio. I get dropout on playback (not when recording (yet)) when using the Fantom Drive. I copied a project folder that was giving me dropout from the Fantom drive to the internal HD on my laptop. The dropout went away. I'm on my 3rd firewire card and the one I'm using now was recommended by Presonus so I think my fw card is about as good as it's gonna get. I've done just about every tweak I can find to do. Is the problem with the firewire bus itself?
Old 03-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
Art Evans
Mortal

Are you using multiple FW devices? That can cause problems.
Art Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
GreyBeard

I'm using the Fire Studio which is FW with the drive. Would I better off trying to us a USB HD instead of a FW?
Old 03-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
drumphil

even better, a second firewire card connected to an external disk. or you could use external SATA. I think the external SATA enclosures easier to find now days. SATA is faster, but firewire should be fine for most audio tasks (achieves close to 40MB/sec), and is definitely better than USB 2. Firewire 800 would be good if you want a portable drive that can handle larger projects (80MB/sec roughly)

do the dropouts go away if you connect only the external drive without the firestudio , and use another sound card (on board or whatever)?

Last edited by drumphil; 03-18-2007 at 11:12 AM.
drumphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
GreyBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
even better, a second firewire card connected to an external disk. or you could use external SATA. I think the external SATA enclosures easier to find now days. SATA is faster, but firewire should be fine for most audio tasks (achieves close to 40MB/sec), and is definitely better than USB 2. Firewire 800 would be good if you want a portable drive that can handle larger projects (80MB/sec roughly)

do the dropouts go away if you connect only the external drive without the firestudio , and use another sound card (on board or whatever)?
My computer is a laptop and only has one slot for a Fire wire card. I haven't tried it without the Fire Studio attached.