Old 06-02-2010, 09:15 AM   #121
hopi
Human being with feelings

another help in zooming around is to open the navigator... which also is a point of FR discussion... admittedly it could be better but it is there and working and be a help...

I also don't like the way the mouse wheel action for zoom in vertical works... [set in the actions to ctrl+MW]... It should be a toggle sort of thing where if you roll the MW one way you go in and the other way you go out... as far as I can see right now it's only zoom in.... I'd love to be mistaken on this point????
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #122
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I also don't like the way the mouse wheel action for zoom in vertical works... [set in the actions to ctrl+MW]... It should be a toggle sort of thing where if you roll the MW one way you go in and the other way you go out... as far as I can see right now it's only zoom in.... I'd love to be mistaken on this point????
Works both ways here. It does have its limits. Maximum vertical zoom level is one track filling the whole screen, and minimum zoom level is the height of your track. When you reach the minimum height of your track (which is different if the track is armed vs. unarmed), then you can't zoom out further.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #123
Viacom Army

For what it's worth, I found it annoying that my MW wouldn't zoom in Nuendo today. Sometimes it really does boil down to ingrained muscle memory overriding logical progression. I don't want to leave anyone with the impression that I'm complaining. That really isn't it at all. I'm trying to adapt enough to see if I want to adapt further if that makes sense.

I think any problems I'm initially seeing with Reaper is that there seems to be almost infinite functionality. ALMOST being things we're used to in most other DAW's.

I don't feel part of this Democracy yet because I've not officially signed on, but my opinion is that Reaper should do "everything your old DAW did and way more" instead of "everything EXCEPT what you're already used to."
Viacom Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #124
Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Mousewheel regular - scroll vertically
Alt+MW - scroll horizontally
Ctrl+MW - zoom vertically
Shift+MW - zoom horizontally
Ctrl+Shift+MW - zoom horizontally and vertically at the same time

Works beautifully (and EXTREMELY FAST) for me.
Hey ED, when I do Alt+MW, it works fine but when I let go of the Alt, the menu 'File' is selected and then I have to click somewhere to defocus it. Does this happen to you? I am on 3.53pre9 btw.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #125
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Sounds familiar. This is the old "unlearning your old DAW" thing and everyone thinks he shouldn't have to do this. Some people here convinced me to get over my "why is it not like Cubase" grim and give it a realistic chance, starting from the beginning, then I modified a few essential (for me) shortcuts and tried to adapt and learn the new DAW while creating actual projects. Worked out fine for me and I hope it does for you. The amount of settings and decisions you have to make is certainly high in Reaper, especially if you go the customizing/adapt-the-app-to-your-needs route first.

Reaper is probably not to be confused with a democracy or any of these things and giving honest, fair and fresh feedback about your progress with it is not the worst way to introduce yourself.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #126
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacom Army View Post
I don't feel part of this Democracy yet because I've not officially signed on, but my opinion is that Reaper should do "everything your old DAW did and way more" instead of "everything EXCEPT what you're already used to."
Having come from Digital Performer, there were familiar tools that I was looking for as well. I still want MIDI groove quantize. But hey, I've got a lot of cool stuff in return, plus I can go back and do a bit of work in the old DAW when necessary. I don't do that often, though.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #127
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Hey ED, when I do Alt+MW, it works fine but when I let go of the Alt, the menu 'File' is selected and then I have to click somewhere to defocus it. Does this happen to you? I am on 3.53pre9 btw.
Preferences->General->Keyboard->Prevent ALT key from focusing main menu.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #128
Viacom Army

I'm trying to find a way to "split items under mouse cursor including group."

Is this possible? I don't see it anywhere.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #129
AdamWathan

Quote:
I'm trying to find a way to "split items under mouse cursor including group."

Is this possible? I don't see it anywhere.
Make a custom action for splitting under the cursor instead of using the default one:

Select item under mouse cursor
Select all items in group(s)
Move edit cursor to mouse cursor
Split items at edit cursor
AdamWathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #130
Viacom Army

Did a mix with Reaper this evening. Once I got the edits out of the way, I really did like the feel of the program while mixing. I'd say it was a good first date.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/316466/Reape...bons%20Red.mp3
Old 06-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #131
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Did a mix with Reaper this evening... I'd say it was a good first date.
Don't forget to protect yourself and your mixing partners. Sounds like it could be hot 2nd date.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #132
Viacom Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Don't forget to protect yourself and your mixing partners. Sounds like it could be hot 2nd date.
Indeed it might be! I really enjoyed the flexibility in routing, etc. It's a cool program go get around on the mixing side of things. I find it interesting to use this particular project to test drive Reaper. I usually do mostly Rock/Metal, and this music is pretty far outside my comfort zone. Both Reaper and the material itself simultaneously forcing me to think differently was a nice breath of fresh air.

There's one more song left on this project. I think I'll edit and mix that one in Reaper as well just to see how it goes.

I did get one crash yesterday though. I think I just overloaded the system. It froze and started skipping.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #133
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Works both ways here. It does have its limits. Maximum vertical zoom level is one track filling the whole screen, and minimum zoom level is the height of your track. When you reach the minimum height of your track (which is different if the track is armed vs. unarmed), then you can't zoom out further.
ah ok got it working now with the simple default of ctrl+MW for vertical zoom ...the confusion was in the list of actions itself, where there are actions to zoom in vert and also zoom out vert... anyway, all good and I'm happy