Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
cdugger
Human being with feelings

Default OS X 10.9.5 problems

I just upgraded to OS X 10.9.5 on my MacBook Air. I have been loving Reaper, but now, it's screwed up.

It's running slow. The playback is very slow, even though set on the correct speed. "Play" and "Stop" take 3 to 6 seconds to activate, whether I use the Space Bar or the onscreen controls.

I downloaded the newest Reaper update, but it didn't work. I have not, however, rebooted my computer. That's the next step.

Anybody else having this problem. I can NOT do any work with it like this.
cdugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
cdugger

Rebooted. Didn't help.

Guess I'm just gonna have to spend $1000 and relearn how to do everything. Too bad that Reaper can't be used on the new Mac OS.

I liked Reaper.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
TimOBrien

The problem isn't Reaper. A lot of other daw users aren't happy with Mavericks and it breaks interfaces, too.

I'm keeping on Lion because everything works and I don't really need the new features.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdugger View Post
Rebooted. Didn't help.

Guess I'm just gonna have to spend $1000 and relearn how to do everything. Too bad that Reaper can't be used on the new Mac OS.

I liked Reaper.
Is there a newer app you need that requires 10.9? If not, sounds like it's time to swap back to your previous system.

Perhaps build a 10.9 system on a different drive (or make a partition) if there is some app that needs it. And then troubleshoot Reaper and your plugins in 10.9 when you have time.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
ponk

fwiw - macbook pro, i7, 16 GB, mavericks here - Reaper 4.731 is stable and runs like a cheetah. Perhaps the OP has an audio interface issue?
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponk View Post
fwiw - macbook pro, i7, 16 GB, mavericks here - Reaper 4.731 is stable and runs like a cheetah. Perhaps the OP has an audio interface issue?
NO issues until the Mavericks upgrade.

I realize that the Mavericks upgrade is what caused the problem, but I put off the upgrade so that developers would have the time to fix problems.

Cockos didn't, evidently.

I can work around the speed/tone issue. It'll be ugly, but I can do it. What I can't work around is the command delay. When I hit Stop, it HAS to stop, right there. I need to be able to Play/Stop in rapid succession and now I simply can't.

This kind of delay is present in exactly zero other programs running under Mavericks.

The Air is only 3 years old.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #7
cdugger

But I do appreciate the comments, guys. I'm probably just going to have to stop audio (which is just a hobby, after all) until/unless Cockos fixes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
willowhaus

I'm running it here under 10.9.5 with no problem.

Have you tried renaming your ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper folder to something else and starting the app from scratch? If some part of your files and/or settings got screwed up during the upgrade this might help fix it.
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
But I do appreciate the comments, guys. I'm probably just going to have to stop audio (which is just a hobby, after all) until/unless Cockos fixes this.
Not to dismiss the 10.9 issue but what newer app do you now use that requires 10.9? And is so important to you and your non-audio work that you'd put your audio work on hold as opposed to cloning your old system back and getting back to work?

You mentioned something costing you $1000 as well as putting audio work on hold. If those are the stakes, put that old system back! If you have some new app that only runs in 10.9 that is now critical to you, then spend the extra hour or 2 it takes to park your system drive contents somewhere while you make a second partition for a 10.9 system.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
HugoRibeiroDotCom

I'm running 10.9.5 with no problems at all. Either with my Motu's and My Apogee.
HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
vanhaze

Running 10.9.5 on 2 macs, both running Reaper latest version - 64bit, with totally NO issues.
The one running on an Apollo Twin audio interface, the other on RME HDSPe audio interface.

Reaper runs smooth as butter.

Your problem isn't to blame on Reaper.

But what you certainly should try is this, as already stated:

Renaming your ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper folder to something else and starting the app from scratch? If some part of your files and/or settings got screwed up during the upgrade this might help fix it.

I suppose you didn't do a CLEAN install of 10.9 but an UPDATE ?!

Always do a CLEAN install !!

Other things i would recommend:

Run Onyx, this is a free OSX maintenance utility which can work wonders , in my experience.
What audio interface are you running with Reaper ?
Are you sure it has a dedicated 10.9 driver ?
If so, de-install and then re-install that driver.
Check your audiosettings in Reaper (buffer etc.)
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
serstickman

Default 10.9.5 running fine here

On a new-ish "Custo-Mac" Reaper is doing the job!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
cyrano

Have you tried disabling Spotlight indexing in System preferences->Spotlight?

Spotlight takes a while before your harddisk is indexed and if you try doing anything with Reaper or another DAW while indexing is going on it might just slow down disk acces enough to produce the behavior you're describing.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
axel_ef

start Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilties) and look
which program has a high CPU utilization
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Running 10.9.5 on 2 macs, both running Reaper latest version - 64bit, with totally NO issues.
The one running on an Apollo Twin audio interface, the other on RME HDSPe audio interface.

Reaper runs smooth as butter.

Your problem isn't to blame on Reaper.

But what you certainly should try is this, as already stated:

Renaming your ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper folder to something else and starting the app from scratch? If some part of your files and/or settings got screwed up during the upgrade this might help fix it.

I suppose you didn't do a CLEAN install of 10.9 but an UPDATE ?!

Always do a CLEAN install !!

Other things i would recommend:

Run Onyx, this is a free OSX maintenance utility which can work wonders , in my experience.
What audio interface are you running with Reaper ?
Are you sure it has a dedicated 10.9 driver ?
If so, de-install and then re-install that driver.
Check your audiosettings in Reaper (buffer etc.)
I'm not running any special interface. Just the computer.
I installed Mavericks from Apple, so update/upgrade/whatever, that's how I did it.
Reaper is the problem because it is the only program that is acting up. Even the free Audacity is running smooth. The only other hiccup is (I think) a built-in security thing - if I type a password fast, it rejects. Every time.
The ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper folder does not exist.
I'll try an uninstall/reinstall. We'll see.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #16
cdugger

Yeah, that didn't work, either. Uninstall, reinstall. No difference. And, that folder still isn't there.

Guess I'm just screwed.

Well, 99% of my audio work is now cancelled. I have neither the money to purchase nor the desire to learn another DAW. Audacity is good for recording and NR, so that's all I'll be able to do. My interview podcast is now dead, and there will be no more audio dramas from me.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
If those are the stakes, put that old system back!
Sounds nice, but I don't know how, and I sure don't want to risk losing even more. I have backups from before the upgrade, but what guarantee is there that it isn't some buried setting that I don't know how to track down and kill?

I don't work on computers anymore and I never did work on Macs. I use them now. That's it.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #18
TimOBrien

Don't know how many times everyone has to tell you, this is a known problem with osx UPDATES.

clean installs and new machines have less problems with daws and interfaces.

The problem is in the OS update process or something deep.
Others on other daws are having similar problems.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #19
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
Don't know how many times everyone has to tell you, this is a known problem with osx UPDATES.

clean installs and new machines have less problems with daws and interfaces.

The problem is in the OS update process or something deep.
Others on other daws are having similar problems.
Well, us "little" folks who don't have the opportunity or money or know-how for clean installs (I wouldn't even know how to do a clean install on this Air and I sure as heck ain't wiping it clean on the off chance that it'll go smoothly and I won't lose everything) and new machines (someone want to give me $1300?) have to go with what's available.

Upgrading to Mavericks was supposed to improve things. I've never seen it happen, but was hoping that it would with Mac. I ditched the PC so I could have things better. Guess they had me fooled.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimOBrien View Post
Maybe the DAW programmers could keep up with the times? After all, their software is their responsibility. It isn't Apple's job to write the DAW's code.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:22 PM   #21
Don Schenk

Cdugger,

When I read your OP I thought, "Oh oh. Not the upgrade!" Because not 5 minutes earlier I had done the upgrade, and your OP was the first thing I looked at.

After almost 3 decades of building and using PCs I too am relatively new to Mac. I bought one 4 months ago, and instantly became confused.

To find out whether or not REAPER would work with this new upgrade, I fired up my interface, opened its software and opened REAPER, fully expecting the worse.

They work fine together. All is well. Next I unplugged the interface (Apollo) and plugged in another one - Roland Quad Capture.

All is well with that, and with the upgrade, and REAPER.

So the problem is not the DAW or the OSX upgrade. Something else in your system is not happy.

Quote:
Well, us "little" folks who don't have the opportunity or money or know-how for clean installs (I wouldn't even know how to do a clean install on this Air and I sure as heck ain't wiping it clean on the off chance that it'll go smoothly and I won't lose everything) and new machines (someone want to give me $1300?) have to go with what's available.
A minute ago it was $1000, now suddenly it is $1300. Money has nothing to do with this. Money and the problem are a total non sequitur.

Relax. The sky isn't falling. There is a solution. You just have not found it yet. Others have given you good advice here. You can Google the "how to." Maybe calmness comes with age. It did for me.

If you want to reload your OS, go over to Apple, or Google how to reload OSX. AFAIK Mac doesn't work like a PC where loading the OS destroys everything. (Although I might have that wrong.)And the OSX to reload is FREE! There is no cost. You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

And you may not need to reload your OSX. The problem could be a setting in REAPER, or in your Mac, or an interface driver issue. Go through your REAPER preferences one setting at a time. Check everything.

When I purchased my MacBook Pro, and 6 months earlier when I purchased an MBP for my wife, I was told that Apple put the OSX on an EPROM in the computer for a quick reload of the OS. That may also be true for the Air. Call Apple, or wherever you bought the Air, and ask. Ask "How," also.

But before you try to reload the OS, check with your interface's manufacturer. Your interface may need a new driver to work with the new Mavericks.

:-Don

Last edited by Don Schenk; 10-17-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Don Schenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #22
serr

It is the responsibility of the operator however to make backups of their system(s). Check out the app Carbon Copy Cloner. It lets you make 1:1 clones of your hard drive volumes. When you clone your drive, you get every last bit. If it's a system drive (OS drive), then the clone is still identical and boots just like what it was copied from. Every last setting you have made is preserved.

Whereas Time Machine only backs up your data and some app files. You would have to manually reinstall the OS and a number of other things.

When you have a system up and running the way you like it, clone it to another drive. By an external drive for this at least if you don't have the drive space for this activity. Consider it as important as a power supply.

When you have a backup clone of a known working system, any R&D, updates, etc can be auditioned with the security of knowing you can overwrite whatever you do with your backup and get back to work.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #23
cdugger

So, what are the file names of the files left on my computer after I uninstall Reaper? I can't geta fresh install if those files are present so I need to delete them. That might do the trick.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #24
cdugger

Remember, I have no interfaces loaded or anything. Just the Air and Reaper.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #25
Don Schenk

Quote:
So, what are the file names of the files left on my computer after I uninstall Reaper? I can't geta fresh install if those files are present so I need to delete them. That might do the trick.
I would think the only files left on your computer after an uninstall would be any files you created in Reaper. Only you know what you created and where you put them.

Quote:
Remember, I have no interfaces loaded or anything. Just the Air and Reaper.
Earlier you mentioned...
Quote:
Anybody else having this problem. I can NOT do any work with it like this.
How are you doing any "work" without an interface? This isn't making any sense. Now I'm confused too.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #26
Jacos

Quote:
I have sometimes had to move, add or remove files in an application's folders in the Library (eg Components), or trash the app's Prefs file - eg Cubase's - to get apps running again after developing problems that reinstallation alone did not fix.

Older Mac OS's had the Prefs folder visible and trashing preference files was the common users default solution to Application/System misbehaviour. I understand Prefs files are rebuilt automatically when the program runs again or is installed again.

But the new OS discourages us from tinkering, probably for good reason. I suggest you seek instructions from Apple tech desk, FAQs, or try http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/ to learn more about accessing the hidden Library and safely modifying its Application Support and Preferences folders.

EDIT: btw, I'm using OS10.9.5 and have used Reaper 4.6 through to the current version, no major problems. I have reinstalled earlier versions one or twice after developing problems, soon fixed. Also running the 32-bit version as needed to host plug-ins.

Last edited by Jacos; 10-19-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:43 AM   #27
cyrano

Quote:
I'm not running any special interface. Just the computer.
I installed Mavericks from Apple, so update/upgrade/whatever, that's how I did it.
Reaper is the problem because it is the only program that is acting up. Even the free Audacity is running smooth. The only other hiccup is (I think) a built-in security thing - if I type a password fast, it rejects. Every time.
The ~/Library/Application Support/Reaper folder does not exist.
I'll try an uninstall/reinstall. We'll see.
That password thing is proof something else goes wrong.

Download and run Etrecheck and post the report here. Than we can see what's running badly on your Mac:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck
Old 10-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #28
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
I would think the only files left on your computer after an uninstall would be any files you created in Reaper. Only you know what you created and where you put them.
How are you doing any "work" without an interface? This isn't making any sense. Now I'm confused too.

There are files that Reaper creates, like preferences and such, that do not delete when I uninstall. I know this because, when I reinstall, all my recent files and other settings are still there in the new install. Therefore, there have to be files that have to be manually deleted. I'm hoping that one of those got corrupted and that, if I delete them, a new install might work properly.

The problem is that I can't find those files. I've found how to show all the hidden files, but still can't ID the leftover files. That's why I was hoping someone here knew what they were. They don't contain "reap" or "cockos" in their names, so I am having a hard time locating them.

As to the interface, people here keep saying they have a Roland, or some other interface, or that they switched interfaces. All I am using is the MacBook Air and Reaper. I have added nothing else to the mix. That's what I mean.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #29
cdugger

From etrecheck:

Problem description:
The DAW Reaper is not functioning properly after the Mavericks upgrade. This was not a clean install, but the OS update from Apple. Others are not having the problems I am experiencing. There is also a rejection of passwords if typed too quickly. System passwords, internet passwords, any passwords. When typed slowly, there are no problems.

EtreCheck version: 2.0.5 (90)
Report generated October 19, 2014 at 8:47:37 AM CDT

Hardware Information: ℹ️
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2011) (Verified)
MacBook Air - model: MacBookAir4,1
1 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core
2 GB RAM Not upgradeable
BANK 0/DIMM0
1 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok
BANK 1/DIMM0
1 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ok
Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported
Wireless: en0: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️
Intel HD Graphics 3000 - VRAM: 288 MB
Color LCD 1366 x 768

System Software: ℹ️
OS X 10.9.5 (13F34) - Uptime: 0:31:43

Disk Information: ℹ️
APPLE SSD TS064C disk0 : (60.67 GB)
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified
EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 59.81 GB (12.79 GB free) (Low!)
Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

USB Information: ℹ️
Apple Inc. FaceTime Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc. BRCM20702 Hub
Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Western Digital My Book 320.07 GB
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified
EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB
My Book (disk1s2) /Volumes/My Book : 319.73 GB (15.77 GB free)

Thunderbolt Information: ℹ️
Apple Inc. thunderbolt_bus

Gatekeeper: ℹ️
Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️
/System/Library/Extensions
[not loaded] com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.4.3) Support

Launch Agents: ℹ️
[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist Support
[loaded] com.hp.help.tocgenerator.plist Support

Launch Daemons: ℹ️
[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist Support
[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist Support
[not loaded] com.gopro.stereomodestatus.plist Support

User Launch Agents: ℹ️
[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist Support
[invalid?] com.divx.agent.postinstall.plist Support

User Login Items: ℹ️
iTunesHelper UNKNOWNHidden (missing value)
Dropbox UNKNOWN (missing value)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️
FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 15.0.0.152 - SDK 10.6 Support
Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9
AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.06 - SDK 10.6 Support
CouponPrinter-FireFox_v2: Version: 1.1.10 - SDK 10.6 Support
AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.06 - SDK 10.6 Support
Flash Player: Version: 15.0.0.152 - SDK 10.6 Mismatch! Adobe recommends 15.0.0.189
o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.4.2.18903 Support
QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3
googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.4.2.18903 Support
Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 Support

User Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️
CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin: Version: 1.0.39 Support
NPRoblox: Version: 1.0.2.12 - SDK 10.8 Support

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️
Flash Player Support
GoPro Support

Time Machine: ℹ️
Skip System Files: NO
Mobile backups: OFF
Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off
Volumes being backed up:
Macintosh HD: Disk size: 59.81 GB Disk used: 47.02 GB
Destinations:
My Book [Local]
Total size: 0 B
Total number of backups: 0
Oldest backup: -
Last backup: -
Size of backup disk: Too small
Backup size 0 B < (Disk used 47.02 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️
7% WindowServer
2% AddressBookSourceSync
1% fontd
0% taskgated
0% opendirectoryd

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️
125 MB com.apple.IconServicesAgent
112 MB Safari
99 MB Finder
69 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent
58 MB mds_stores

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️
49 MB Free RAM
669 MB Active RAM
618 MB Inactive RAM
768 MB Wired RAM
383 MB Page-ins
479 KB Page-outs
Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #30
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Schenk View Post
Cdugger,

To find out whether or not REAPER would work with this new upgrade, I fired up my interface, opened its software and opened REAPER, fully expecting the worse.

They work fine together. All is well. Next I unplugged the interface (Apollo) and plugged in another one - Roland Quad Capture.
See? I don't have any interface to unplug or switch to. Nothing extra on this system.

Quote:
A minute ago it was $1000, now suddenly it is $1300. Money has nothing to do with this. Money and the problem are a total non sequitur.

Relax. The sky isn't falling. There is a solution. You just have not found it yet. Others have given you good advice here. You can Google the "how to." Maybe calmness comes with age. It did for me.
Quote:
The $1000 was an offhand comment about buying an expensive DAW. The $1300 is for those who say "new machine". Can't get a new machine just to upgrade.

No, the sky isn't falling, but I've got 20 or 30 podcast interviews waiting for production, and doing it in Audacity is so time consuming and the result is so inferior, that I don't even want to bother.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #31
axel_ef

Quote:
Hardware Information:
2 GB RAM Not upgradeable
if I had only 2GB of RAM, I would use OSX 10.6.8
axel_ef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #32
cdugger

I'm thinking this Air came with Lion originally. I thought it was Mountain Lion, but don't know and don't know how to find out. Maybe I can find the books it came with.

Ah. Found it. Yep. It came with Lion. So, my upgrade skipped Mountain Lion.

Dunno if that's important.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 AM   #33
cyrano

You only have 2 GB ram and your startup disk is to full.

- Your system is running very old software from HP, Adobe and something from GoPro that doesn't even load.
- You might have Western Digital's infamous disk tools installed along with another disk driver. These caused a lot of havoc when Mavericks came out. This is a serious and unnecessary load to the system.
- IconServicesAgent, iTunesHelper and Dropbox don't function as they should.

The only advice I can give you, is to back up IMMEDIATELY, wipe your startup disk and reinstall the OS and the apps. Then, and only then, add your data. Manually.

This is certainly not Reaper's fault.

There's a number of questions you should ask yourself.

- Do you really need Soundflower, CouponPrinter-FireFox, DIVX...?
- IconServicesAgent uses far too much ram. Do you have icon collections on you Mac?
- Should you muck around as much with software?

Going back to Lion isn't easy and I don't think it 'll solve your problem. I don't know if Mavericks is even still available on Apple's appstore. I haven't checked.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #34
vanhaze

THIS ^^^^^^^^^ !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:26 AM   #35
willowhaus

If you're still getting your original files showing up, then you just didn't find the REAPER folder (as you mentioned before). Do this:

1. Click on the GO menu. You'll see "All My Files", "Documents", "Desktop", etc.
2. With the GO menu open, push the ALT key on your keyboard. You should see a new selection "Library" pop up. This is your personal Library folder, not the one in Macintosh HD. Click Library to open the folder.
3. Open the Application Support folder.
4. Find the REAPER folder and rename it to REAPER-OLD or something.
5. Run REAPER. It should start as if new, in Demo mode.

If this works, re-enter your license & settings manually.

You also probably should go to the Utilities folder and run Disk Utility. Select your named hard drive (i.e. "Macintosh HD", not the more technical name of the actual hardware above it). The "First Aid" tab is highlighted by default. Near the bottom left of the tab you'll find a button that says "Repair Disk Permissions". Click that & let it finish, then close Disk Utility.

If not, consider a fresh installation of the OS. Usually upgrades work OK, despite everyone's aversion to them. (The best approach with OS X upgrades within the same version, i.e. 10.9.2 to 10.9.5 for instance, is to use what's called the "Combo Updater". A quick Google search will get you to the right package.)
Old 10-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #36
cdugger

Thanks, guys. When I get the time, probably a couple days, I'll go through all this.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #37
willowhaus

Just FYI, "Not Loaded" means exactly that - the system isn't using that particular piece of code. They are most likely not impacting anything, but if you don't care about using those items then you can safely delete them. For instance, if you look in Macintosh HD -> Library -> LaunchDaemons, you'll see the file com.gopro.stereomodestatus.plist. The system will attempt to load everything in this folder at startup, and will usually attempt again later because these are intended for system services. The message you posted says that the system did not load this file - so if you remove the .plist, it will simply not attempt to load it again when you restart later.

As for the Soundflower .kext (kernel extension) file, it lives in Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions folder. If there is an uninstaller for Soundflower then I'd use that first because there may be other files expecting that to be there, which would likely generate other errors - but basically, removing the .kext will disable Soundflower functionality.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #38
Don Schenk

Here is something that will help you and anyone else new to audio, and it is absolutely FREE. And while it won't solve your immediate problems, it will clear up a lot of mysteries and answer your questions.

There is a website called coursera that has agreements with various schools, colleges, and universities from around the world to offer courses, online without any fees.

Their music production course comes from Berklee College of Music in Boston - a top music school in the US.

The way coursera works is: you sign up for a coaurse, and the next time it will be starting, they will notify you. They run the music production course several times a year.

During the course, every Monday morning they post a link to the week's lectures. Everything is on video and there are transcripts of the videos. You can download the videos and transcripts to save them, and you can watch them streaming.

The first week's videos are about an hour and a half total time, and the following weeks are a bit shorter. There is a forum in which you can talk with everyone else taking the course, and ask questions. If you want to receive a certificate from the course, you can take the weekly quizzes and do the projects. Or you can simply enjoy the course for the knowledge it will give you.

The present music production course began a week or two ago, and the next one will start in a couple months.

Go here, to take a look: https://www.coursera.org/course/musicproduction

All of your recording questions can be answered.

Enjoy.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #39
Jacos

Wow thanks for that Don. I just signed up! Always wanted to do that course...
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #40
cdugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhaus View Post
If you're still getting your original files showing up, then you just didn't find the REAPER folder (as you mentioned before). Do this:

1. Click on the GO menu. You'll see "All My Files", "Documents", "Desktop", etc.
2. With the GO menu open, push the ALT key on your keyboard. You should see a new selection "Library" pop up. This is your personal Library folder, not the one in Macintosh HD. Click Library to open the folder.
3. Open the Application Support folder.
4. Find the REAPER folder and rename it to REAPER-OLD or something.
5. Run REAPER. It should start as if new, in Demo mode.

If this works, re-enter your license & settings manually.

You also probably should go to the Utilities folder and run Disk Utility. Select your named hard drive (i.e. "Macintosh HD", not the more technical name of the actual hardware above it). The "First Aid" tab is highlighted by default. Near the bottom left of the tab you'll find a button that says "Repair Disk Permissions". Click that & let it finish, then close Disk Utility.

If not, consider a fresh installation of the OS. Usually upgrades work OK, despite everyone's aversion to them. (The best approach with OS X upgrades within the same version, i.e. 10.9.2 to 10.9.5 for instance, is to use what's called the "Combo Updater". A quick Google search will get you to the right package.)
Everybody has given me great advice. But, THIS ONE ^^^^ did the trick! Finding that freaking folder was all I needed (which I renamed), I think, but I did the Repair Disk Permissions also. Rebooted, downloaded a fresh Reaper, installed, and WOO (insert really bad word here) HOO!

I ran Reaper, and it appears to be working just fine! The sound is back to full speed and the start/stop controls are hair trigger.

Thank you all. Last week was a very horrible week BEFORE the Reaper crash. It always seems that I have software crashes only when my days already stink!

You guys rock!