Old 11-16-2019, 01:58 AM   #1
Hogi66
Human being with feelings

Default v5.985+dev1115 - November 15

v5.985+dev1115 - November 15 2019
  • + Envelopes: ensure that newly inserted points get the default curve shape [p=2202440]
  • + Linux: add DDP and cue/bin writing support
  • + MIDI editor: add action and menu item to remove all notation from selected notes
  • + Tap tempo: require at least 3 clicks before changing tempo
  • + Zoom: fix marquee zoom when starting on a track that is collapsed into a folder [p=2202719]
  • # MIDI editor: add action to enable bank/program event selection following note selection
  • # MIDI: ensure that multiple notes and notation events at the same time position are sorted consistently
  • # ReaScript: add support for previous workaround to set REAPER notation messages via MIDI_SetTextSysexEvt [p=2202659]
  • # ReaScript: improve handling of notation messages that only contain user-specific data
  • # Screenset window: fix layout setting of DPI-mapped layouts
  • # Theme: add blend modes for MIDI note velocity controls
  • # Theme: various list margins (tcp.fxparm.margin etc) support 6th coordinate as scroll button size
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
Hogi66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogi66 View Post
# Theme: add blend modes for MIDI note velocity controls
This seems to only work on velocity handle, not note text, which is misleading considering how the entry is named in Theme development/tweaker ("MIDI editor note text and control mode").

It should work on both then, no? It feels and looks inconsistent, otherwise.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #3
EvilDragon

Quote:
# MIDI editor: add action to enable bank/program event selection following note selection
The on/off state shown in action list doesn't refresh when toggling this via toolbar button. (Same for "Options: CC selection follows note selection" action).
Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 AM   #4
bFooz

Quote:
+ Envelopes: ensure that newly inserted points get the default curve shape [p=2202440]
All good here so far.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:57 AM   #5
bFooz

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: add action and menu item to remove all notation from selected notes
Can't find this in the menu. Which brings me to https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....04#post2184304

Edit: OK, found it, but the position of the item is not where I would expect it. And the fact that it is in the plain sight and despite that I couldn't find it at first brings me to the customizable menus FR even more.

Last edited by bFooz; 11-16-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:07 AM   #6
bFooz

Quote:
# MIDI: ensure that multiple notes and notation events at the same time position are sorted consistently
# ReaScript: improve handling of notation messages that only contain user-specific data
Looks good.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:18 AM   #7
Mordi

Quote:
[*]+ Tap tempo: require at least 3 clicks before changing tempo
This has been a Reaper pet-peeve of mine for a few years now. If you want to tap tempo along to the current project, it's more or less impossible in my experience - since the tempo shifts as I click. I always google for an online tap tempo website.

Maybe if there were a cooldown to it, where it only applied the tempo after not having clicked the button for a while? Or maybe there could be an "apply" button that appears after having gotten a new tempo from tapping.

Just some ideas.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #8
Janne83

For some reason this pre is resetting v6 alpha theme to default- the position of solo buttons in TCP, hidden values in MCP,...
It happens every time i restart Reaper
Old 11-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #9
vanhaze

Oh My !

i am a macbook retina user and I just installed this version and i was utterly surprised to see (at last) sharp texts in toolbar buttons, Ruler, Transport Bar and Media Item labels.
This is so pleasing to my eyes now, woohaaa !!
Mentioned texts (fonts) were always very blurry on my retina macbook.

Really odd that i don't read anything about this in the latest release notes, belonging to this version.

Cockos, this is so insanely great, thank you very much !
Old 11-16-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
EvilDragon

That happened some dev versions ago, not in this one.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #11
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
If the user value is set as empty string, the whole user data could be removed instead of keeping them unchanged. Don't know at the moment if this would be safe or better, but other native data behaves like this (e.g. voice 0).
After some more thought I think this is desirable.

Example:
- use the user string in the same way as the native notation, meaning 'user "key parameter key parameter"'
- have the very last key-parameter pair remaining and delete it so the result is ""
- assign this to the user value

PROBLEM - the deleted value still persists

EXPECTED - to delete the value
Old 11-16-2019, 07:26 AM   #12
PhelixK

What is the purpose of the two Catalina disk images, located inside pre-releases ?
There's no additional info inside the packages.
Quote:
reaper5985_catalina.dmg 2019-11-15
reaper5985_catalina2.dmg 2019-11-15
Except for REX and ACID, public version 5.985 is working fine here on 10.15.
PhelixK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:49 AM   #13
bFooz

While we're at scripting for notation, I wonder if the notation API is planned and if so, when.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #14
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelixK View Post
What is the purpose of the two Catalina disk images, located inside pre-releases ?
There's no additional info inside the packages.
Except for REX and ACID, public version 5.985 is working fine here on 10.15.
They are notarized...

(detail which is of no use to anybody

The first one has an unstapled ReaMote64.app, the second one is stapled. What's interesting is that (for an internet-connected machine at least) the stapling doesn't seem to be necessary.

Anyway try that version and see if it causes any regressions, if you're able to...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
They are notarized...

(detail which is of no use to anybody

The first one has an unstapled ReaMote64.app, the second one is stapled. What's interesting is that (for an internet-connected machine at least) the stapling doesn't seem to be necessary.

Anyway try that version and see if it causes any regressions, if you're able to...
ah ha, cool,
they all open here, only showing the moderate Gatekeeper alert “are you sure you want to open…”

Unstapled ReaMote as well, and I never used it before. Opens both with or without internet connection. Perhaps I should have checked this edition the other way round, without internet first.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #16
PhelixK

@Justin,
Btw. i have good news regarding Mojave/Catalina Dark Mode using +Dev versions.

Playhead is now behaving normal, also when using color blending, and Melodyne GUI is no longer blacked out.

Background color for the little generic mix-knob is still opaque white, as well as some other graphic elements on plugins. But it's much closer to being a functional mode
Old 11-16-2019, 03:37 PM   #17
MRMJP

Does the Catalina version have a darker top bar? My laptop is Catalina (because it came with it) but my two main machines are Mojave still.

Should I try these Catalina versions with Mojave to see how dark mode works? Or are there some new hidden settings I should search for for REAPER dark mode?

I'm not seeing any info about what Catalina and Catalina2 is all about other than it's probably notarized for Catalina.

Last edited by MRMJP; 11-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
MRMJP

I'm posting a link to a screen shot (from a Mojave machine) so nobody freaks out at me for posting an image that is too large:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpy9p7syyx...%20PM.png?dl=0

Note how on the new RME apps, the top bar is dark. It would be great if REAPER could do this too.

I made some notes in RED TEXT.

I'm using the new 6.0 alpha theme which is good overall. Would be nice if REAPER (or the theme) could do this to the top bar of the main window, transport, and other similar things.

Last edited by MRMJP; 11-16-2019 at 03:57 PM.
MRMJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 04:02 PM   #19
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMJP View Post
Does the Catalina version have a darker top bar? My laptop is Catalina (because it came with it) but my two main machines are Mojave still.

Should I try these Catalina versions with Mojave to see how dark mode works? Or are there some new hidden settings I should search for for REAPER dark mode?

I'm not seeing any if about what Catalina and Catalina2 is all about.
I believe the Catalina apps are only for testing Apple notarization requirements.

To experiment with dark mode, check this thread: p=2158556
Post #1 include a terminal command to force system mode for non-native apps.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #20
MRMJP

Quote:
I believe the Catalina apps are only for testing Apple notarization requirements.

To experiment with dark mode, check this thread: p=2158556
Post #1 include a terminal command to force system mode for non-native apps.
Thanks. I will check that thread when time permits.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #21
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Oh My !

Cockos, this is so insanely great, thank you very much !
Not to pollute this thread, but glad you are back vanhaze! I feared we lost you to the darkside (S1).
Old 11-17-2019, 03:58 AM   #22
makko

FInally sharp texts for Retina displays!
But it looks like plugin names collapsed and not aligned properly as it was before.
It happens on every theme I try.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-11-17 at 12.55.47.png (50.5 KB, 219 views)
makko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:09 AM   #23
Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What's interesting is that (for an internet-connected machine at least) the stapling doesn't seem to be necessary.
Yeah, that's also my experience, i.e. I was able to notarize an existing plug-in installer on my dev machine, and then run the installer on Catalina, without even re-uploading or re-downloading it.
Tale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #24
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
FInally sharp texts for Retina displays!
But it looks like plugin names collapsed and not aligned properly as it was before.
It happens on every theme I try.
yes, I have that as well, except with v6 Default alpha theme, where list text is elevated a bit, not clipped.

On a note the text in dopp_fxlist -script, is correctly centered, but still low-res...:

Last edited by PhelixK; 06-16-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:52 AM   #25
MRMJP

The terminal hack is something, but it would be nice if REAPER could naturally make the top bar dark.

The installer has it!:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0v73l46n6w...%20am.png?dl=0

Would be nice if the app itself had it too.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:17 AM   #26
DANIELE

As Midi Editor is receiving some attentions I'd like to point this out, I don't know why no one here has noticed it.

I'm having from a long time grid lines inconsistency at some level of zoom (watch the gif):

I experienced something similar in arrange view with tempo change markers. If I'm able to reproduce it I'll do it.

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
D Rocks

Just a note on MIDI editor improvements.
I was unable to test for the last couple of months and have noticed that the current state of MIDI editing is feeling better.
It's more intuitive and I like the workflow. Thanks and good work
Old 11-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #28
Joe90

I don't know if the media explorer is still getting some love - but if it is then I'd love to see an option to disable the auto fades for all media item imports.

I'm referring to the option 'Create automatic fade-in/fade-out for new items'. This is slightly misnamed because it actually creates small fades on every edit made (which is actually the behaviour I like). I tend to keep this option on because I prefer using the auto fades when editing rather than auto crossfades, as the crossfading means that splits made on the grid don't stay there, the item edges both get moved slightly to create the crossfade, and this can cause issues for duplicating and other edits down the line.

The problem is that this small autofade (even when set to 0.00.002) is enough to completely destroy the initial transient of any media item imported from the media explorer (consider sources like single drum hits, or short synth stabs for example). I can't actually think of an example where I'd need imported media items automatically faded before I've done anything to them. Perhaps someone will chime in with a use case I hadn't considered. Either way, it'd be awesome to have the option to disable the auto fades for media explorer imports, but still retain them for editing.

Cheers!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:08 AM   #29
PhelixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't know if the media explorer is still getting some love - but if it is then I'd love to see an option to disable the auto fades for all media item imports.

I'm referring to the option 'Create automatic fade-in/fade-out for new items'. This is slightly misnamed because it actually creates small fades on every edit made (which is actually the behaviour I like). I tend to keep this option on because I prefer using the auto fades when editing rather than auto crossfades, as the crossfading means that splits made on the grid don't stay there, the item edges both get moved slightly to create the crossfade, and this can cause issues for duplicating and other edits down the line.

The problem is that this small autofade (even when set to 0.00.002) is enough to completely destroy the initial transient of any media item imported from the media explorer (consider sources like single drum hits, or short synth stabs for example). I can't actually think of an example where I'd need imported media items automatically faded before I've done anything to them. Perhaps someone will chime in with a use case I hadn't considered. Either way, it'd be awesome to have the option to disable the auto fades for media explorer imports, but still retain them for editing.

Cheers!
I do understand your request, might be convenient to have the option from inside the explorer.
But, have you tried using one of these toggles when inserting? :

Action list,
Item: Toggle enable/disable default fadein/fadeout
SWS: Toggle default fade time to zero
Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #30
Joe90

Quote:
I do understand your request, might be convenient to have the option from inside the explorer.
But, have you tried using one of these toggles when inserting? :

Action list,
Item: Toggle enable/disable default fadein/fadeout
SWS: Toggle default fade time to zero
Thanks for your suggestion PhelixK, that would absolutely work, but unless that can be cooked into a custom action that replaces the standard drag and drop for inserting media, then it's just one more thing I'll forget to do until it's too late I don't tend to use the default actions (double-click/enter) for inserting media because it all creates the new track right at the bottom of the track list, which is inconvenient for large complex projects.

For this same reason I'd also love to see an option for the default double-click/enter action to insert media on new track directly below the current selected track, rather than always at the bottom of the project... On very large projects it can be a pain when everything is always placed at the bottom of the tracklist, so I tend to just make a blank track where I want it then drag and drop the file on to it so it's where I want it straight away.

Even better would be direct drag and drop to a fresh track in any place, so Reaper just creates a new track in the place you dropped it, like it does when you drag and drop a track template... however this would require graphical consideration for some kind of visual cue that tells you whether you're dropping the media item onto an existing track, or creating a new one for it, so it's more of a full feature request rather than the kind of small tweaks we're discussing here... a keyboard modifier+drag for creating a new track where you drop the media item would also do the job I guess.

While we're on the subject - it would also be nice if the selected media item was still highlighted when clicking out of the media explorer, and NOT reset when clicking back on the media explorer, an option for 'deselect all media when clicking in blank space' for the media explorer, which we can uncheck, would be much appreciated. I'm constantly losing my place because of this - I realise you can see last selected media item name at the bottom of the file preview window, but I have the media explorer docked to the side, and to actually see the FULL name you need to drag the media explorer out until it takes up half the screen, and even then it's still much slower to figure out where you are than by using the list highlight, which tells you straight away (considering a typical loop/sample folder contains 30 files all with the same name and a slightly different suffix at the end, it's easy to lose your place).
Old 11-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #31
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
The on/off state shown in action list doesn't refresh when toggling this via toolbar button. (Same for "Options: CC selection follows note selection" action).
Can't test atm.
Did you have the action list open while trying this?

Afaik action list does never update itself when open and toggling states via toolbar button, need to invoke a refresh (e.g. via filter or close/reopen).
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #32
PhelixK

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion PhelixK, that would absolutely work, but unless that can be cooked into a custom action that replaces the standard drag and drop for inserting media, then it's just one more thing I'll forget to do until it's too late
Hi, yes of course, for easy access the action can be made into a button or key-command, and even lights up when engaged There's also 'mouse modifiers' to customize dragging/clicking with actions, applying 'tiny fades' and much more.

– I don't think this pre-release place is for discussing all those existing Reaper features. The general forum and the feature request section is really the place to ask and explore, lot's of good ideas! /best regards.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #33
Shootkin

What are you talking about? The software is there! Is it prohibit to sequence thousands of tracks? No, it doesn't.
Yesterday I've got a Cubase 10 Trial — WOW! There'ra still that fucking "desktop"! And some windows (modal ones) are from Cubase VST 32 (circa 1995)! Mario! Besides of the Dragons, are are there!

Why I will buy a Cubase? First, now it's an Industry Standart. Year ago it was PT. Pity?

Second, the more I learn an Action window in reaper, the less I boot teh Cubase. Or Ableton, whatever.

Easy
Old 11-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #34
Joe90

Quote:
yes of course, for easy access the action can be made into a button or key-command, and even lights up when engaged There's also 'mouse modifiers' to customize dragging/clicking with actions, applying 'tiny fades' and much more.
There is no way of modifying the drag and drop from the media explorer to trigger or include a custom action, which is what I would need for the specific use case we're discussing. Keyboard action wouldn't work for because of the aforementioned issue with all items being inserted at the bottom of the tracklist, also, you can't make a custom action combining actions from the 'media explorer' and actions from the 'main' list, so this wouldn't work anyway... perhaps I'm missing something though.

Quote:
– I don't think this pre-release place is for discussing all those existing Reaper features. The general forum and the feature request section is really the place to ask and explore, lot's of good ideas! /best regards.
You are correct. I got a bit carried away with that last post, it's just that when I make these suggestions over here I've noticed they have a higher chance of getting implemented, especially if it's a suggestion for an area that I know is currently being worked on... anyway, I'll give it a rest now
Old 11-19-2019, 02:36 AM   #35
PhelixK

Quote:
There is no way of modifying the drag and drop from the media explorer to trigger or include a custom action, which is what I would need for the specific use case we're discussing. Keyboard action wouldn't work for because of the aforementioned issue with all items being inserted at the bottom of the tracklist, also, you can't make a custom action combining actions from the 'media explorer' and actions from the 'main' list, so this wouldn't work anyway... perhaps I'm missing something though.
I see what you mean, that doesn't work, and sorry, I didn’t actually try set up a mouse action for that specific purpose.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:13 AM   #36
Vadium

If I quick drag items, it seems as buggy - sometimes the big screen isn't enough to move a little item
(it happen in all versions of Reaper) - see a GIF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xiI...7LH1Pp5il/view
Old 11-20-2019, 04:26 AM   #37
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadium View Post
If I quick drag items, it seems as buggy - sometimes the big screen isn't enough to move a little item
(it happen in all versions of Reaper) - see a GIF:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xiI...7LH1Pp5il/view
I've noticed this too.