Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-27-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
Scottsdale
Human being with feelings

Default Accessibility: presets combo box in the FX window cannot be opened using keystrokes

Hi,

In Windows, the default keystrokes to open/close combo boxes are Alt+DownArrow and Alt+UpArrow respectively. These keystrokes aren't currently being passed through to the FX window, so it's not possible to open the presets combo box using the keyboard. Here's why that matters...

When scrolling through the presets combo box using Up or Down arrows, the current behaviour is that the combo box remains closed, and as a consequence, plugins will try to load presets as the user moves through the list. With resource intensive plugins (synth libraries etc), this drastically decreases efficiency.

The UX for mouse users is different, and a lot more productive. A single click on the combo box opens it, then - when scrolling through presets - the plugin won't update preset until the combo box is closed with a double click.

Is there anything you can do to improve this UX? The ideal behaviour would be that Alt+Down and Alt+Up are passed through only when focus is on the presets combo box.

As ever, shout if there's anything I can do to clarify.

Scott
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
azslow3

Opening the list alone will not solve the problem. Currently navigating throw the list with arrows produce the same result as with closed box, presets are changed immediately.

I have not found a way to get Preset list with API, while Get/Set index are there. With such possibility we could organize own preset navigation on OSARA level.

But that part is FR, not a bug.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
Scottsdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Opening the list alone will not solve the problem. Currently navigating throw the list with arrows produce the same result as with closed box, presets are changed immediately.
My bad, you're right. The only way I can scroll presets here without having them changing immediately is to pop the combo box open by simulating a mouse click on the open button, then manually interacting with the list object that lives inside the combo box. Both of those things have to be accomplished by navigating the object hierarchy, which involves keystrokes with multiple modifiers and screen reader trickery that's way beyond what most OSARA users are familiar with.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Betov75

Default I'm having the same problem

I'm having the same problem here. Maybe the amazing OSARA developers car try something to help with this. A special box like with Effects parameters (P, CTRL-SHIT-P) etc..
Betov75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
Scottsdale

Nice thought Betov75, but I can say with some certainty that OSARA doesn't currently have the resources to implement a workaround for this. Given how widely presets are used, it really would be better addressed as part of Reaper's core functionality.