Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Erik H
Human being with feelings

Default Large Hardware Output Routing Matrix Question

I am dealing with large output channel projects recently. I am looking for a better way to assign channels in the matrix. Here is a simple example:

Open a new blank session
Import a 64 channel interleaved audio file on a new track
I want to route each of the 64 channels 1:1 to a hardware output
I can easily assign the track to 64 hardware outputs in the routing matrix
-BUT-
All channels are like this: channel 1 to out 1, channel 1 to out 2, channel 1 to out 3 and so on..
[[[what I want is: channel 1 to out 1, channel 2 to out 2, channel 3 to out 3 and so on..]]]
There does not seem to be anyway to "auto increment" the source (channel)..
I have to click on each channel, click on the Audio button, select mono source, then pick the number..
This takes forever.... and is prone to errors..

What is the better way??

I can't be the only one that has this problem..
Erik H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:06 PM   #2
tdc

Hey Eric,

Yes, it can be confusing, but a 1:1 routing is straight-forward.

1. If you have an audio track already, and there is a 64CH file on it, then it could well be already set to 64ch mode. If not, go to the routing dialogue and set "Track Channels to 64. If this is being sent to your Master Channel, then we need to make that 64CH too.

2. Open the routing page for the Master, and set its "Track Channels" to 64. Now with your correct 64CH audio hardware device selected as its output, click on the menu bottom left of the window - it probably is set to "1-2". Select that menu and choose "Multichannel Source" and choose 64.

Best of luck.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
Erik H

TDC..

The Multichannel works for routing tracks to tracks and tracks to the master. There is no multichannel option to route master or tracks to hardware outputs.

-e
Old 04-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik H View Post
The Multichannel works for routing tracks to tracks and tracks to the master. There is no multichannel option to route master or tracks to hardware outputs.
Hi Erik, I might be misunderstanding your question, as my studio has a 32 channel immersive speaker array, and I can drive it directly from the master output in Reaper.

As I have an RME Dante box that has 128 I/O I have the choice of addressing up to 64 outputs at a time. Only caveat is that they need to be sequential if using the buss like this.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #5
Erik H

In the example shown in the picture there is a 16 channel sound card. I want to connect its hardware outputs 1:1. The only way I can do this is to add the 16 outputs one at a time, then go back and assign the 1:1 mono source to each. With only 16 tracks this process does not take too long, but when I am working with multiple 64 channel physical outputs, this process becomes very time consuming. There has to be a better way to do this.

See picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 9.13.44 PM.jpg (52.7 KB, 176 views)
Old 04-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #6
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik H View Post
In the example shown in the picture there is a 16 channel sound card. I want to connect its hardware outputs 1:1. The only way I can do this is to add the 16 outputs one at a time, then go back and assign the 1:1 mono source to each. With only 16 tracks this process does not take too long, but when I am working with multiple 64 channel physical outputs, this process becomes very time consuming. There has to be a better way to do this.

See picture
Strange - that’s not the view my master out has. I’m not near my studio at present but will check for you in the morning.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
serr

I haven't seen any way to get a matrix view at the track channel level either. It's not an all the time need here. I'm only working in 5.1 max right now. (No Atmos or other 3D 64 channel surround arrays here yet!) But this still comes up here and there and would be nice.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:41 PM   #8
tdc

I see where you were getting lost Erik, its quite confusing to be honest.

1. You need to add a Hardware Output (Your chosen Audio Interface). Just choose Outputs 1-2 at this stage.

2. Now your audio interface is shown in the outputs. Make sure your Master Out is set to the correct number of outputs as your need in the "Track Channels" dropdown menu in the top right.

3. Now in the menu at the bottom left, that says "1/2", select that and you will see a series of menus you can move through to select your desired output width.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
serr

I thought the question was about the matrix view. Not the I/O dialog view.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #10
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
I thought the question was about the matrix view. Not the I/O dialog view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik
I want to route each of the 64 channels 1:1 to a hardware output
I can easily assign the track to 64 hardware outputs in the routing matrix
-BUT-
All channels are like this: channel 1 to out 1, channel 1 to out 2, channel 1 to out 3 and so on
I could be mistaken, but that looks like a routing task, no matrices required.
Old 04-11-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
Philbo King

Just do it once and save it as default project template? That's how I do it.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
Erik H

THANK YOU.. Huge help!!!

It's strange the multichannel option is not there until you delete the output and then add it back.. I would still like to see the input channel to output assignments opened up in the routing matrix or wiring pages..
Old 09-12-2020, 07:27 AM   #13
Astron

A good solution may be to HOLD Ctrl+Shift (Command + Shift) and click on the junction of
input and output channel in Routing Matrix, so that all channels after the focused junction will be connect or disconnect. Just like it act in DADman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2020-09-12 221819.jpg (63.0 KB, 146 views)
Astron is offline   Reply With Quote