Old 02-22-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Scaryfast
Human being with feelings

Default Saving Multiple Mixes per project

I have a project which is a live performance of my band. I would like to keep it in one project but each song needs slightly different mixes because of slightly different volumes of guitar patches, etc. I thought there was an update (somewhere in version 5 maybe) that allowed for saving alternate mixes. I figured I could keep this as one project, but mix each song accordingly and save it as an alternate mix using the song name. I can't figure it out for the life of me and I can't find the "what's new in Reaper version X.XX" where I thought I saw it. Can somebody help? Thanks.
Scaryfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #2
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryfast View Post
I have a project which is a live performance of my band. I would like to keep it in one project but each song needs slightly different mixes because of slightly different volumes of guitar patches, etc. I thought there was an update (somewhere in version 5 maybe) that allowed for saving alternate mixes. I figured I could keep this as one project, but mix each song accordingly and save it as an alternate mix using the song name. I can't figure it out for the life of me and I can't find the "what's new in Reaper version X.XX" where I thought I saw it. Can somebody help? Thanks.
Hi Scaryfast,
"Snapshots" in SWS extensions is what you are looking for.

But you can also use native automation to set/tailor setting of different levels and other parameters for tracks of individual songs in timeline too.
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by akademie View Post
"Snapshots" in SWS extensions is what you are looking for.
Hm, not sure SWS snapshots are well suited for this as they work 'across whole project length', as I understand it OP is more looking for something like e.g. 'switch to mix 2 at 2:30', no?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #4
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
Hm, not sure SWS snapshots are well suited for this as they work 'across whole project length', as I understand it OP is more looking for something like e.g. 'switch to mix 2 at 2:30', no?
Right, nofish. But my response about SWS "Snapshots" was meant directly to this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaryfast View Post
I thought there was an update (somewhere in version 5 maybe) that allowed for saving alternate mixes.
as I don't remember any addition of alternate mixes feature in any development cycle for Reaper. So that's what came to my mind that OP refers to.

It could also be "Subprojects", of course, and also there was addition of "Save a copy of project" action few (heh, more than few actually) months ago.

All of them can be utilized for the required purpose somehow, I think. It all depends on OP working style.

I personally would not mix more songs in one timeline. But if the songs are recorded in one go as OP wrote (the same track layout and instruments) and only required is some volume modifications etc. then I think automation is the right way then.

Last edited by akademie; 02-23-2020 at 11:34 AM. Reason: typing errors
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
serr

Wow, I wouldn't make this complicated!

Just 'save as' the project as you go and modify the name or add a number to it every time. You can save as many .rpp files for a project as you please.

Start with the whole thing in one project.
When something comes up for one of the songs that would be more of a PITA to automate something to preserve the rest of the songs... Save as as a new project name.

Tip: If you put version numbers in the project names, put the same number in the mix render name.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
Scaryfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Wow, I wouldn't make this complicated!

Just 'save as' the project as you go and modify the name or add a number to it every time. You can save as many .rpp files for a project as you please.

Start with the whole thing in one project.
When something comes up for one of the songs that would be more of a PITA to automate something to preserve the rest of the songs... Save as as a new project name.

Tip: If you put version numbers in the project names, put the same number in the mix render name.
Yeah, this is what I’ve been doing. I just thought for sure I remember this function being added. It would be a great feature to add.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
serr

There is a versioned save choice in the file menu. It adds a number to the name and increments it every time.

The other thing you can always do is cut/paste between projects. So if you want to grab some work from a later save on another song, you can just open it in another tab and cut/paste from it.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #8
Scaryfast

So I figured out where I saw it. Sonar. I was a Sonar Platinum user before they went defunct and that's when I switched to Reaper. Sonar has "Mix Recall" that does it. It's a cool feature. You don't have to save off different versions of the project. I'll check out snapshots though or I'll just save off different versions of the mix. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #9
serr

Reaper has an auto backup feature.
You could set it to every 3 minutes and you'd have "snapshots" of every 3 minutes you could recall and never worry about losing anything. That's what I do.