Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 11-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #41
Alex Stone
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Ummm I am confused by this. I though Jack Control was needed. I can get reaper going in Ubuntu Studio with the JC latency at ~6ms but playback is flakey especially when scrolling...

Am I understanding you correctly? You are using WineAsio without Jack running? I seem to get nothing like that. I will try tonight when I get home, but I'd appreciate a repro here

I feel like such a bewb errrm I mean newb in linux, it is all so fun though. I have my Tomboy notes up collecting a list of terminal commands I seem to be using lots... but what does the tar zxvf wineasio-0.1.tar.gz zxvf mean?

looking for linux for dummies,

.t
Talli my friend, this may well be the blind leading the blind, but the latest wineasio release is 0.15. And maybe that's the reason the performance has improved for me.

If you follow the link to the ubuntu preparation site that Jack posted, the 'sudo echo' commands can be cut and pasted into the terminal (one at a time then 'enter.') Makes a big difference, imho.

I'm sure there are more detailed tweaks that can be done, by far more experienced chaps than I, but these did make a difference.
I've eased the latency back to 8-10ms, to accomodate several VST's loaded at once. Works a treat.

Alex.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:22 PM   #42
Alex Stone

Default More Tweaks....

After more research, and tweak testing, here's Reap running on it's own without Jack, just using wineasio, playing 'brad sucks' without a pop or crackle or any limitation or sluggishness at all, and stable.
Reassigning rtc and onboard soundcard irq priority helped here quite a bit.

I'm of a mind to enjoy this pic for a while, and marvel at the fact that linux can do so well for latency.

Had 19 big orchestral vst's playing today at 5-7ms without a prob. (Yes, they installed in wine and played back, without a issue.)
For me, Reaper performs as well or better in Ubuntustudio, than Vista32, or 64, and both of those did well, with stable results. (Onboard sound, HDA nvidia, alsa mixer. Hehe, go figure.)

Impressive stuff, imho.

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 11-23-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Alex Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 10:03 PM   #43
JasonTheron

Default So

Alex:
So would you recommend using UbuntuStudio to anyone who was considering building a new machine over say an OS like XP or Vista?

My Band - http://ischemiacore.com
Till's FR Vote Tracker - http://tillmannn.de/reaper.html -
Underground Music in Southern Oregon - http://www.myspace.com/sohcindustries
JasonTheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:23 AM   #44
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Ummm I am confused by this. I though Jack Control was needed. I can get reaper going in Ubuntu Studio with the JC latency at ~6ms but playback is flakey especially when scrolling...

Am I understanding you correctly? You are using WineAsio without Jack running? I seem to get nothing like that. I will try tonight when I get home, but I'd appreciate a repro here

I feel like such a bewb errrm I mean newb in linux, it is all so fun though. I have my Tomboy notes up collecting a list of terminal commands I seem to be using lots... but what does the tar zxvf wineasio-0.1.tar.gz zxvf mean?

looking for linux for dummies,

.t
Pipe & alex. I see the same thing here regarding jackd, but the truth of the matter is that the jackd demon is started automatically. I don't know how, but I suppose that wineasio requests it & somehow the system starts the jackd demon. Easily verified by running "ps -A" which will show jackd running. So you can use qjackctl to set latency, then start the demon, stop it, from then on it should be automatically started when you run reaper. No need to run qjackctl anymore...

You can also edit ~/.jackdrc manually, it contains the startup parameters.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:32 AM   #45
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
OK, I tested it. Yes, it works, with the following gotchas.

At first I couldn't get the frame size below 1024. JACK just wouldn't start. I also wanted to try setting different devices for input and output, but it didn't like that. I couldn't get it to detect the device without JACK running. I suspect it's an issue with permissions, seeing as I'm running it as a user and not root.

Update: I added "kdesu" in front of the command line for both qjackctl and reaper and it came up with 512 samples! Can I go lower yet?

Update 2: Woohoo! 256 samples if I check off "realtime". This requires running as root or the kdesu command.
In order to run jackd with rt access there are a few things you have to do. Running things as root is commonly accepted as a bad idea. Try to edit /etc/security/limits.conf as root & add the following lines:

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock 512000
@audio - nice -19

This will give jackd access to the rt kernel, and you can then run it as your normal user login!
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 11-24-2007, 05:52 AM   #46
StudioDave

Default wineasio & JACK

Hi everyone,

Alex, you can't run wineasio without JACK, so your system is probably launching JACK without you knowing about it. As JW mentioned, you can run the top or ps utilities to see what processes are currently active, and I'll wager you'll see jackd somewhere in those listings. Meanwhile, if the system is working well for you, don't muck with it.

Some of the multimedia distros (such as 64 Studio) arm JACK immediately, assuming that what the 64 Studio user wants is to get working asap. The only thing left for the user is to get JACK's settings perfected for the user's hardware.

And as JW also mentioned, don't run normal applications as the root user, especially if you're on a network. Running as root exposes your system to malicious hackers, and you should be able to get high performance as a normal user.

JW, wineasio will not start jackd on its own, though it would be nice if it looked for JACK first and loaded it if it wasn't running. Much of Linux runs from various scripts, many of which can be found and viewed in the /etc directory. JACK is likely started there during the boot process.

Finally, if there's a wineasio 0.15 that's probably news to the JAD maintainers. The last known release was 0.5, and I hope the Ubuntu devels aren't just going ahead with their own development without working with the JAD guys. Bad mojo when that happens.
StudioDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #47
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
In order to run jackd with rt access there are a few things you have to do. Running things as root is commonly accepted as a bad idea. Try to edit /etc/security/limits.conf as root & add the following lines:

@audio - rtprio 95
@audio - memlock 512000
@audio - nice -19

This will give jackd access to the rt kernel, and you can then run it as your normal user login!
Ah cool, never saw that before!

Running as root isn't necessarily a bad idea! I'd rather run privileged applications as root than grant very loose permissions to my regular user account. Logging in as root, bad idea. Running X as root, very bad idea.

Newbies - be careful with root. Very dangerous.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #48
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioDave View Post
Hi everyone,

Alex, you can't run wineasio without JACK, so your system is probably launching JACK without you knowing about it. As JW mentioned, you can run the top or ps utilities to see what processes are currently active, and I'll wager you'll see jackd somewhere in those listings. Meanwhile, if the system is working well for you, don't muck with it.

Some of the multimedia distros (such as 64 Studio) arm JACK immediately, assuming that what the 64 Studio user wants is to get working asap. The only thing left for the user is to get JACK's settings perfected for the user's hardware.

And as JW also mentioned, don't run normal applications as the root user, especially if you're on a network. Running as root exposes your system to malicious hackers, and you should be able to get high performance as a normal user.

JW, wineasio will not start jackd on its own, though it would be nice if it looked for JACK first and loaded it if it wasn't running. Much of Linux runs from various scripts, many of which can be found and viewed in the /etc directory. JACK is likely started there during the boot process.

Finally, if there's a wineasio 0.15 that's probably news to the JAD maintainers. The last known release was 0.5, and I hope the Ubuntu devels aren't just going ahead with their own development without working with the JAD guys. Bad mojo when that happens.
And that's my mistake dave. It is 0.5.
After using the checking tools, i found out Jack is running, and seems to be instigated at boot. Snoo, i'm not changing anything else at ths point!

Alex.

Last edited by Alex Stone; 11-24-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:39 PM   #49
Jack Winter

Quote:
Ah cool, never saw that before!

Running as root isn't necessarily a bad idea! I'd rather run privileged applications as root than grant very loose permissions to my regular user account. Logging in as root, bad idea. Running X as root, very bad idea.

Newbies - be careful with root. Very dangerous.
I disagree, it is bad! Just do what you have to do, and then get out of there. You can give an application access to what it needs, but there is no need to give it the possibility to wipe out your system. In the above case all you need to do, is to give the audio user group access to rt privs.

root can wipe out or corrupt your whole system.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #50
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I disagree, it is bad! Just do what you have to do, and then get out of there. You can give an application access to what it needs, but there is no need to give it the possibility to wipe out your system. In the above case all you need to do, is to give the audio user group access to rt privs.

root can wipe out or corrupt your whole system.
I think we're talking about the same thing, actually!

I use "su" to get to a bash prompt when I need to apt-get upgrade, load modules, install compiled apps, change permissions and stuff like that. I never log in as root, unless I'm just setting up the system. "kdesu" lets you have permissions ONLY for the application that runs immediately after. Unless *that application* is going to hose your system, there aren't really any other significant ways that it's a mistake.

Not that there aren't enough ways to hose your system, of course.

Another tip for the newbies: if you're going to do something that might possibly mess up your system (including a recursive delete) when running as root, type the command, and *sit on your hands* for 10 full seconds while you look at the command, before you press enter. It's way to easy to type /dev/hda when you meant /dev/hdb, and yeah I've messed up my partition table a couple of times...
Old 11-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #51
Jack Winter

Quote:
I think we're talking about the same thing, actually!

I use "su" to get to a bash prompt when I need to apt-get upgrade, load modules, install compiled apps, change permissions and stuff like that. I never log in as root, unless I'm just setting up the system. "kdesu" lets you have permissions ONLY for the application that runs immediately after. Unless *that application* is going to hose your system, there aren't really any other significant ways that it's a mistake.
That is the way I see it too. Use sudo to run the command that requires root access. Letting an application run as root opens you up to a lot of potential grief.

If you didn't see the above setup stuff for the audio group, this will possibly be of interest to you: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub...dioPreparation
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 AM   #52
Alex Stone

Default Update....

As a further update to my original post, i offer the following.

After a few reinstalls for user error, ubuntustudio is now stable and ticking along rather swimmingly. Reaper is running well with Wine, at an average of 5ms, with slightly more (8-10ms) for a full orchestral template. (Ubuntustudio 32bit.)
Nearly all the VST's are working too, with Gigasampler3 being the notable exception, but then that sampler was problematic in Windows at times, as well.

I have further question for the linux wizards, and that's concerning memory limits. I seem to hit the low memory warning a little earlier than i've expected in Win, and i'm wondering if there's a command or config setting that will enable me to set a higher limit, or determine what the current limit is.. (I have 4GB of Ram)

And a heads up at this point for a couple of linux notation editors that are growing, like Reaper, and are already proving rather useful.

Muse Score, and Canorus, both of which i'm running in UbuntuStudio. I'm not sure if these programmes are precompiled for other distros.

More to come.

Alex.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 AM   #53
bullshark

Well, I gotta say I admire you guy's patience and dedication. I've tried UnbutuStudio last week-end, and I couldn't even get a desktop with it, all I got was a Dos type command line prompt that I couldn't even begin to understand what to do with. Trying to read online "instructions" was an exercise in futility as I didn't even understand the words they used in writing them instruction, probably written in programmer slang or somesuch.

You guy's are programmer by trade?

Last edited by bullshark; 12-05-2007 at 03:02 AM.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #54
StudioDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
I don't know about the other users, but I'm a professional musician, have been for almost 45 years (I'll be 57 in January).

You're right though, Linux can be a terribly confusing and frustrating experience. Despite all the efforts that have gone into making it friendlier it remains problematic for many new users. I think a lot has to do with your distro of choice *and* the amount of time you have to get into using Linux. It's definitely not a variant of Windows or the Mac (which is actually more like a variant of Linux now ), and that means there's potentially a lot of new stuff to learn.

I usually advise interested folks to try the live CDs before you try to install a system. Good choices include the Dynebolic, MusiX, and 64 Studio live discs, but there are others that might be more appealing. You can't beat their cost ($0.00 + download), and you don't need to bother your existing installation.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #55
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone View Post
I have further question for the linux wizards, and that's concerning memory limits. I seem to hit the low memory warning a little earlier than i've expected in Win, and i'm wondering if there's a command or config setting that will enable me to set a higher limit, or determine what the current limit is.. (I have 4GB of Ram)
The command is ulimit. Try ulimit -a to see what limits are set.

Check the man page or google for details, you don't just tell it "memory" but limit things like locked memory or resident memory, stuff like that.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:52 AM   #56
Alex Stone

Another follow up, and another question for the L wizards.

I'm attempting to use Qsampler, and all attempts so far have failed. At each instigation of the program, i get 'server failed to start'. I have checked linuxsampler is installed, and it is. (Qsampler being a gui for ls, for the unknowing.)

Can anyone help with this? I've trawled the ls online info, and various fora, but i'm still none the wiser.
(Is this even possible in UStudio?)

Alex.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 AM   #57
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Well, I gotta say I admire you guy's patience and dedication. I've tried UnbutuStudio last week-end, and I couldn't even get a desktop with it, all I got was a Dos type command line prompt that I couldn't even begin to understand what to do with. Trying to read online "instructions" was an exercise in futility as I didn't even understand the words they used in writing them instruction, probably written in programmer slang or somesuch.

I am, but what got me in to Linux was being a programmer by nature That's what a VIC-20 at 11 years old will do to you.

I'm guessing the reason for the command prompt instead of the desktop is that you have an ATI video card? Nasty Linux support until now. One of the startup parameters (F2 or F3) will sometimes fix that up.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:00 AM   #58
Alex Stone

Quote:
I am, but what got me in to Linux was being a programmer by nature That's what a VIC-20 at 11 years old will do to you.

I'm guessing the reason for the command prompt instead of the desktop is that you have an ATI video card? Nasty Linux support until now. One of the startup parameters (F2 or F3) will sometimes fix that up.
Yep, ATI card here, and it's alt+f2 each time at boot. (you can also use ctl+alt+f2)

And i'm not a programmer at all (Now there's an oxymoron..me and programmer in the same breath), having been a fulltime muso and composer for 30ish years. (I'm not as 'sage' as Dave.)

Alex.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #59
charles.monteiro

one tangent question, Reaper only runs on Linux over WINE ? If you all recall I have a G4 I am contemplating turning into a Linux box. I don't actually have to run Reaper on that box but I would like to be able to run a midi sequencer that I can slave to Reaper on my PC
charles.monteiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #60
404NotFound

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles.monteiro View Post
one tangent question, Reaper only runs on Linux over WINE ? If you all recall I have a G4 I am contemplating turning into a Linux box. I don't actually have to run Reaper on that box but I would like to be able to run a midi sequencer that I can slave to Reaper on my PC
Actually, Reaper will not run on that box because Wine works only on Intel-compatible CPUs.

(In fact, it's possible to compile Wine on a G4, but one can't run any WIndows app because they are compiled against an i386 architecture which is incompatible with the G4's PowerPC architecture)
404NotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:12 AM   #61
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Yep, ATI card here, and it's alt+f2 each time at boot. (you can also use ctl+alt+f2)
Nope, that's too late - the system's already booted - those are virtual terminals. When you boot the CD you might see a boot: prompt, before everything starts scrolling by. Sometimes there are options to boot with regular VESA support, you might see more options if you hit F2 and F3.

There are ways to get it going, it might take some work.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:25 PM   #62
Alex Stone

Quote:
Nope, that's too late - the system's already booted - those are virtual terminals. When you boot the CD you might see a boot: prompt, before everything starts scrolling by. Sometimes there are options to boot with regular VESA support, you might see more options if you hit F2 and F3.

There are ways to get it going, it might take some work.
I have multi boot, B. When the choice boot box comes up i select the rt kernel, and a second later i hold down Alt+f2, and the screen comes up with the boot sequence.

Works for me, lol.

Alex.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #63
StudioDave

Quote:
I'm attempting to use Qsampler, and all attempts so far have failed. At each instigation of the program, i get 'server failed to start'.
Alex, have you tried starting Linuxsampler from a terminal prompt ? If there's a system problem LS will probably print some error messages to the screen. If it starts okay then you may have an outdated QSampler.

Rui Capela wrote QSampler, he's a great fellow so don't hesitate to contact him directly about any problems you have with his software.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #64
Alex Stone

Quote:
Alex, have you tried starting Linuxsampler from a terminal prompt ? If there's a system problem LS will probably print some error messages to the screen. If it starts okay then you may have an outdated QSampler.

Rui Capela wrote QSampler, he's a great fellow so don't hesitate to contact him directly about any problems you have with his software.
Thanks for chipping in Dave. Won't start from the terminal (command not found.) Guess that means it's not installed from the Ubuntu disk, and further research revealed that Ubuntu removed it for license reasons. So the Qsampler gui, while very efficient at opening ( Rui did good ) didn't have anything to work with.

I haven't got my head around manual installs yet, and can't find a binary, so i might have to sit this one out i think, at least for a while.

Alex.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #65
funkster1

Alex, do a google search for 'deb search' (there's a firefox search plugin for it ) and simply look for any app of your choice.
It will then most probably find it and point you to a place where to download the.deb package.
Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, you should have a means of installing it from your HD, once downloaded. I use a tool called 'GDebi', which installs a right click menu for .deb packages into Gnome. So I put them in my user folder, right-click ->open with... ->gdebi and there you go.

Raphael

P.S.: I'm aware that this is probably NOT the most efficient way to go about, but I'm a lame *nix noob myself. So no miracles to expect from my side
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
funkster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #66
funkster1

Hi Alex,
I've bitten the bullet and installed Ubuntu Studio 7.10 on my box.
GDebi is effectively part of the packages in it and should work by simply clicking on a '.deb' file. A window will then pop-up and offer you the choice to install the package you just clicked on (upper right corner in the window-unless dependency errors).
Now for the bad news, I couldn't get LinuxSampler to install at all on US.
I had downloaded all packages necessary from http://www.linuxsampler.org/downloads.html#linuxsampler , but none of them installed. I neither succeeded using the terminal & 'apt-get install --force-yes'. Maybe one of the linux-gurus will be able to tell you if it's possible at all. Maybe by adjusting your sources.lst, to download/install from another repository through Synaptic would be possible, I don't know.
And personally I have no need for a Gigasampler clone. I had tried it once in another distribution (don't know if it was in JackLab or 64-Studio) and it definately worked, but I found it kind of wonky/unstable and as soon as I loaded some bigger libs I had nothing but trouble.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know.

Cheers
Raphael
Win 10 Pro 21H2|AMD RYZEN 3600|32 GB RAM|NVIDIA GeForce 710 fanless|2x27" Full HD screen|250 GB SSD system|1 TB SSD Samples|1 TB SSD projects|2 TB HDD docs & images|ROLAND Octa-Capture|BCR2000|Nektar LX88+|Maschine Mikro MK3|ZeRO SL MkII|FCB1010|KRK ROKIT 5|
Old 12-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #67
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Since Ubuntu is based on Debian, you should have a means of installing it from your HD, once downloaded. I use a tool called 'GDebi', which installs a right click menu for .deb packages into Gnome. So I put them in my user folder, right-click ->open with... ->gdebi and there you go.

Raphael

P.S.: I'm aware that this is probably NOT the most efficient way to go about, but I'm a lame *nix noob myself. So no miracles to expect from my side
From the command prompt:
dpkg -i file.deb
Old 12-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #68
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
I have multi boot, B. When the choice boot box comes up i select the rt kernel, and a second later i hold down Alt+f2, and the screen comes up with the boot sequence.

Works for me, lol.
Ah I got mixed up over who had it working and who didn't!

The F2/3 thing is by no means universal, and only applies on the install CD, when it's there. So you probably won't see it.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #69
Alex Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkster1 View Post
Hi Alex,
I've bitten the bullet and installed Ubuntu Studio 7.10 on my box.
GDebi is effectively part of the packages in it and should work by simply clicking on a '.deb' file. A window will then pop-up and offer you the choice to install the package you just clicked on (upper right corner in the window-unless dependency errors).
Now for the bad news, I couldn't get LinuxSampler to install at all on US.
I had downloaded all packages necessary from http://www.linuxsampler.org/downloads.html#linuxsampler , but none of them installed. I neither succeeded using the terminal & 'apt-get install --force-yes'. Maybe one of the linux-gurus will be able to tell you if it's possible at all. Maybe by adjusting your sources.lst, to download/install from another repository through Synaptic would be possible, I don't know.
And personally I have no need for a Gigasampler clone. I had tried it once in another distribution (don't know if it was in JackLab or 64-Studio) and it definately worked, but I found it kind of wonky/unstable and as soon as I loaded some bigger libs I had nothing but trouble.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know.

Cheers
Raphael
Cheers Raphael, great post!
I've tried three times with linux sampler as a manual install, and got nowhere, same as you, in UBS. (Another three letter acronym, there's just no escape ) I'm giving it up, for the time being.
Likewise with gigasampler, it's just not reliable enough.
I've been using gdebi to install other stuff, works well, except (and linux sampler figures in this with a red 'dependency' prob. UBS has libflac8 installed, and LS wants libflac7. Go figure.) for the odd program or two.

How are you getting on with UBS? I'm still a dummy with linux, so if it works for me, others are in with a good chance.

I have to admit, i'm having a lot of fun working all this stuff out, and using a different mindset to figure how to do different things.

Alex.

p.s. There's quite a bit of stuff on the net (with Dave making a big contribution) about linux commands, but not so much for dummies like me about really basic stuff like additional keys and commands. It could be useful if a really basic glossary with 'dummy' explanations could be made available.
Any of you linux wizards got a decent link to this sort of info we can chase, and reference? (What does -r do? for example....)
Old 12-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #70
Alex Stone

Quote:
From the command prompt:
dpkg -i file.deb
I've added this one to the notes.

Cheers!

Alex.

p.s. What's the '-i' for? Install?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #71
Alex Stone

And just for posterity, the reason i was keen to install linuxsampler was as an external sampler to Reaper. Given there are those of us who use software samplers as a big part of the working method, and probably have a fair chunk of HD space in samples in one format or another, i reckon it would be entirely useful to get all this working together.
Running dll's in Wine is competent, and works for most plugs and vsti's i've tried, but to keep it all native might yield even better results.

Alex.

Unafraid to fly over the bleeding edge, and, most of the time, cheerfully ignorant of the consequences!
Old 12-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #72
404NotFound

Got Qsampler up and running now. There are some things to mention:

- libflac7 is not libflac8. You can have both of them installed at the same time. Just search the web for a recent .deb of libflac7.
- The Qsampler package shipped with UbuStu won't work. Remove it via Synaptic. You also have to remove libgig.
- Go to http://download.linuxsampler.org/packages/debian/ and download + install the latest versions of libgig, liblinuxsampler, liblscp, linuxsampler and qsampler (in this order).
404NotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #73
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
p.s. What's the '-i' for? Install?
Exactly! Note these too:

dpkg -i [file.deb] ; install file.deb
dpkg --get-selections > file_of_all_installed.txt
dpkg -L [file.deb] ; list all files in file.deb. Great if you installed something and don't know exactly what it called things!
dpkg -S /usr/lib/file.so ; find package that installed file.so

apt-get update ; update listing of available packages
apt-get upgrade ; download and install upgrades to all packages. Soon replaced by safe-upgrade
apt-get install package ; download and install package and its dependencies
apt-cache search [keyword] ; find all packages that include keyword

Not sure if you have it, but try running aptitude as it wraps up all of the apt commands in a single tool. Can use command line parameters but also runs interactively.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #74
bullshark

Quote:
I don't know about the other users, but I'm a professional musician, have been for almost 45 years (I'll be 57 in January).

You're right though, Linux can be a terribly confusing and frustrating experience. Despite all the efforts that have gone into making it friendlier it remains problematic for many new users. I think a lot has to do with your distro of choice *and* the amount of time you have to get into using Linux. It's definitely not a variant of Windows or the Mac (which is actually more like a variant of Linux now ), and that means there's potentially a lot of new stuff to learn.

I usually advise interested folks to try the live CDs before you try to install a system. Good choices include the Dynebolic, MusiX, and 64 Studio live discs, but there are others that might be more appealing. You can't beat their cost ($0.00 + download), and you don't need to bother your existing installation.
Yeah, I've tried live cd's. They work alright for the most part, but considering all my files are on NTFS formated disc, which those Linux version can't read or write to, there's very little I can do beside browsing the web using those version. I'm not even sure UnbutuStudio can access my files on NTFS drives...I installed it to see if it could; turned out I couldn't even boot it, so I still don't know.

I love the idea of Linux, but in real life it didn't turn out to be very practical for me. I'll check it again in a year or two, maybe I'll get further with it then.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #75
BoxOfSnoo

Quote:
Yeah, I've tried live cd's. They work alright for the most part, but considering all my files are on NTFS formated disc, which those Linux version can't read or write to, there's very little I can do beside browsing the web using those version. I'm not even sure UnbutuStudio can access my files on NTFS drives...I installed it to see if it could; turned out I couldn't even boot it, so I still don't know.

I love the idea of Linux, but in real life it didn't turn out to be very practical for me. I'll check it again in a year or two, maybe I'll get further with it then.
2 other ways you can try it, just to get the feel of it.

1) VMWare Server - or VirtualBox. Free virtual machines, they're really impressive.

2) Cooperative Linux http://www.colinux.org/ It runs Linux as a task within Windows, you can pop open a terminal to monitor/access the Linux "guest". It's not a VM in the same sense, and also a bit more challenging to get running.

Again, not the ideal way to run hardware stuff like audio interfaces, but you can learn good stuff that way.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #76
funkster1

Quote:
From the command prompt:
dpkg -i file.deb
Many thanks BoS.
I was pretty sure that there's another means of installing .deb packages from the cl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone
How are you getting on with UBS? I'm still a dummy with linux, so if it works for me, others are in with a good chance.
Alex, well, I'd tried UBS in it's first incarnation already. And while I wasn't too impressed with it, 7.10 looks pretty good and seems to offer a little more choice. Not to forget they're using a newer kernel with more supported HW. And they try to give it the same 'EZness' factor as the other (K)(X)Ubuntu distros, making it appealing to linux noobs.
I'm using diff. linux systems since only a little more than 6 months now, but quite enjoy many things. For instance I'm amazed at how linux makes use of your hardware ressources. It seems to dig way deeper into it and sometimes offers you functions you'd never knew they existed. Totally different from windows. Also, there are quite some very innovative music apps out there for it which is really cool. For me it was an app called "FreeWheeling" which really blew me away. It's a realtime looper, without any restrictions of file length, recording in .ogg or .wav format. You can superpose as many loops as you want, kind of like Ableton live or Moebius (which is far more complicated). After a day of poking around with the config file, which is written in XML (which I don't really understand, but in this case all the functions etc are very well commented), I've been more creative in 1 week than in the last 6 months on windows. Using 2 footcontrollers and a BCR2000, I don't have to worry much about workflow. You trigger recording with your sustain pedal i.e. play your keyboards, guitar, what have you, then assign your loops to the PC keyboard to trigger/stop them. Or you can assign them to MIDI CC's. Of course, they can also sync to each other. But I'm disgressing here.
As you can see, there are many things which have really impressed me on linux, but also others which I really hate. If you take the x-server for instance and the continuous problems with graphic cards and dual monitor display, I'm regularly pulling my hair off trying to configure these things, as they can differ from distro to distro or for the diff. desktop environments.

Anyway, I'm confident and comfortable enough now to use linux as my day in/day out workstation for office stuff, Internet, graphics manipulation and such things. It's quite easy, secure (no need for antivirus, no fear for trojans etc.). And I very much like the ideas of open source, freedom of choice, freedom of manipulation of the programs installed on your box etc.

I still didn't really settle on a specific distro, since I like to see/test as much as I can. But I see myself more often coming back to debian based systems. Fedora Core is also nice IMO.

As far as documentation for linux newbies, there are quite some websites dealing with that. Not to forget the really nice and useful Ubuntu docs and forums.

Ouf, OK, sorry for the lengthy post, but I guess it just shows my enthusiasm for linux (after an initial "what's that bs?" attitude).

Anyway, just enjoy your ride.

Cheers
Raphael
Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 AM   #77
Alex Stone

Default linux sampler, hurrah!!

404, you're a genius.
Linux sampler is finally up and running, and the instructions you provided did the trick. I've been able to load most of an orchestral quick draft, without too many hassles.
Thank you!

Some observations:

LS does load fairly well once Jack is loaded first. (Seems obvious, but in qsampler, a gui for LS, i get three options of audio devices, of which jack works, and alsa and arts don't. I choose Jack, and get audio and the option of alsa midi. In alsa i get a persistent '684, unable to open slave' error, and Qsamp crashes.)
Once i load channels, and then go back to edit, the programme freezes, and i have to restart. Whether this is LS, Jack, or USt, i don't know. So i'm careful to load and check as i go. Is this a bug, or something i should expect as 'normal' at this stage in LS development? The edit capability is still problematic, at least for me, in USt.
The latency is low, low, low. With a 'quick draft' orchestral set, i'm running Jack (rt) at 128/48000/2 for about 4-6ms. That's even with several channels playing at once. I'm rather impressed, to say the least.

Dave, my compliments to Rui for Qsampler. An easy to use, easy to find stuff, gui, that doesn't overwhelm me with a lot of options i won't use. (one only has to look at gigsampler to appreciate the difference.) With further development in LS for stability, and a more robust operation (not so 'fragile') i'm enthusiastic about using this particular programme.
I'm still trying to lash LS to Reaper, so i'll report on the success rate of this, and how it came together, when everything works.

Box, thanks for the commands! I have most of these, but have added the extras to the 'memorise' list. I've been trying to understand the particular linux syntax, and am getting there slowly, but these will help in a greater understanding.

Raphael, i did the distro jive as well, trying a few before i settled on USt. It worked the best for me. I've managed to get around most of the graphics challenges so far, using stock vesa, and as i'm not particularly interested in the graphic effects, it seems to work ok for me. I will agree that some serious thought needs to go into this though. The fact we have to come up with solutions to this is an indication of the 'enthusiasm' or otherwise of graphic card manufacturers to work in linux, and keep up with developments. (imho) As i wrote earlier, i have an ATI card, and when i went surfing for solutions, i was astonished at how many posts there were in so many places, dealing with the same issues. Food for thought when making the next card purchase. Likewise with audio cards. I'm using onboard nvidia HDA with success, but when i researched the possibility of putting a soundcard in the box, i came up with precious few options, RME being, it seems, the leading contender for sustained linux support. I rather like their madi pci cards, so maybe it's not so bad after all. (Does anyone know if Creamware are supporting linux? I couldn't find anything on their site.)

Some questions for those who may know.

Is linuxsampler 64 bit?

Can i use Wine in a 64 bit distro? (USt, for example.)

If so, does Reaper load in Wine in 64 bit ok? (Has anyone tried this?)

How do i check how much memory (ram) i can use before LS, or other linux programmes will say that's enough? If i can check the memory limit, can i change it? (I have 4gb of ram and dual core amd64, and if all this stuff can work in 64bit, then i'm keen to set higher ram usage limits if possible.)

Alex.

On the bleeding edge, and getting slashed..

Last edited by Alex Stone; 12-07-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #78
Jack Winter

Default ntfs in kubuntu.

Quote:
I'm mainly getting into kubuntu. The programs differ, but the functionality must be there.

In system settings advanced tab, go to disk & file systems. There you will find all disks and partitions. click administrator mode then modify with a partition selected, there you can choose a mountpoint. I created "~/windows/c", d, and e. then enable at startup, and writable if so inclined. Exit that screen, and click enable, then it should work. I think i had to manually click enable once more after restarting, but since then it's worked fine.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #79
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stone
Likewise with audio cards. I'm using onboard nvidia HDA with success, but when i researched the possibility of putting a soundcard in the box, i came up with precious few options, RME being, it seems, the leading contender for sustained linux support. I rather like their madi pci cards, so maybe it's not so bad after all. (Does anyone know if Creamware are supporting linux? I couldn't find anything on their site.)

If so, does Reaper load in Wine in 64 bit ok? (Has anyone tried this?)
Be careful as not all rme cards are supported. The fireface as an example is not.

As far as I know, 32-bit wineasio can not talk to 64bit Jack... Which means if you want to use reaper with wineasio, you have to stay with 32bit.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:36 AM   #80
funkster1

Alex, as far as audio cards go, PCI is your best bet.
USB Audio is second best choice, firewire is still very problematic, to say the least.
Although development of the freebob drivers (which handle firewire devices) is advancing relatively fast. M-Audio PCI cards are generally very wel supported (I own a Delta 1010LT, never had the slightest problem), some Echo cards and a few others.

For my graphics card, an old ATI Radeon 7000/VE (RV100 QY), I had it working perfectly in 64 Studio i.e. with two differently sized monitors (19"+17" CRT's).
But in UBS I can't use the same xorg.conf, as they use another xorg version and RandR >1.2. And I don't even want 3D or Beryl/Compiz what have you. Just my 2 monitors working as they should.
You can effectively find several dozen howto's or whatever on the net, each explaining things differently, based on different distros with diff. xorg versions
Not really funny.

Cheers
Raphael

btw.: Hi Jack