Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-24-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
brennansf
Human being with feelings

Default Weird problem-Reaper gets stuck at one point when playing or recording

Yesterday I had (and am still having) a weird problem with Reaper. I spent most of the afternoon recording and overdubbing a number of guitar tracks. I finally narrowed them down to four that I really liked and rendered them (individually) as .wav files. I listened to them once and then took a short break (during which I didn't do anything else on my computer). I returned to work on the song and played the four tracks I had recorded to hear them once before laying down a final guitar track. I hit play and everything was hunky dory--until it reached the 1:02.914 mark. There it got stuck, the timer went crazy fluttering around the 1:02, 1:03 minute mark, and produced only noise. My first reaction was that one of my files was corrupt. So I started removing them, one by one, but the same thing continued to happen. I opened them all and closed them in another order. Same thing. I closed and reopened Reaper. Same thing. I loaded a completely different track from last week. Same thing. I rebooted my computer. No change. I moved the track back and forth in Reaper so that a different part of the track was at the 01:02.914 mark. But Reaper always got hung up at 1:02.914 regardless what part of the track was at that point and wouldn't play any farther. I tried recording a new track with all the others removed. Still happened. (Incidentally, I just opened Reaper without opening ANY track in it and the same thing still happens! It gets hung up at the same point.) If I nudge ahead of the 1:03 mark, incidentally, tracks play just fine. Now, here's what's really strange to me. I decided to uninstall Reaper and install the latest version. But when I tried to play a track it got hung up again just before the 1:03 mark. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

When I started working yesterday I was running Reaper 2.something, which I installed last August. I subsequently uploaded v.6.21. I am running Windows 10, 64bit. The problem occurs with .wav files as well as .mp3s. I just finished letting a one hour long .mp3 play. It got hung up only at the one point.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jerry
brennansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
xpander

This sounds like you have a small time selection/loop made at that location and once playback gets there, it keeps repeating that tiny area, producing just noise.

To fit your whole description, it would also seem that you have saved the project with this loop in there, so it will be there for as long as you open and play back this project, unless you change it. ESC key will by default remove time selection and loop points, so you could try that. If it works, save the given project anew, so you won't get it back the next time you load the project.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
This sounds like you have a small time selection/loop made at that location and once playback gets there, it keeps repeating that tiny area, producing just noise.

My guess, too, FWIW.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 PM   #4
brennansf

Thanks. I'll give that a try later when I get off work and let you guys know what happens.

Quote:

To fit your whole description, it would also seem that you have saved the project with this loop in there, so it will be there for as long as you open and play back this project, unless you change it. ESC key will by default remove time selection and loop points, so you could try that. If it works, save the given project anew, so you won't get it back the next time you load the project.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:43 AM   #5
brennansf

Guys, you're brilliant! Simply hitting ESC fixed the problem. Thanks a million. (I just wish I knew what I did that caused the problem in the first place.)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #6
dug dog

I would guess that you thought you were left clicking on the time ruler but you actually did a short left click drag. At least that's the situation when it happens to me....
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:59 AM   #7
brennansf

That's real good to know. Thanks, Dug Dog.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:29 AM   #8
serr

Quote:

Nice detective work there!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
xpander

Thanks serr. Unintentional tiny loops used to be a common thing for me, but that got fixed somewhat...and I tried to learn avoiding to click too early while doing fast mouse moves too.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote