Old 01-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #1
Boogieshoes
Human being with feelings

Default Latency with/without vsts

I haven't looked at Reaper in a long time and now retired I am trying to catch up on a lot of things I wish I had been able to do, so trying re-awaken myself with Reaper.

I used Kenny Gioa's latency using loopback video to try and see how my kit (a somewhat old 2008 core 2 duo pc) will cope with things using a Roland Octa-Capture.

At face value I could not find what the latency is for the Octa-Capture looking through the device settings so went through the example process Kenny gave, using a kick drum and looping back. The only negative if at all was the kick sample was stereo vs a mono loopback.

At 48000 KHz I was surprised to find that the latency using the default 'Use audio driver reported latency' was very close, leaving that setting in place and ultimately adding a manual 13 sample offset after the tests.

All good so far... but then I thought what about if I were to use a VST addin, I have a demo version of Amplitube 4 so thought I'd put that in place...

The problem is that the vst for obvious reasons modifies the waveform recorded so you can't actually expand the tracks and find marker points to ascertain a number of samples 'latency impact of the vst' ... How do you address the impact of vst latencies or do you simply hope? Or am I being OTT?

Phil.
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:50 AM   #2
mschnell

Welcome to the Reaper forums.

Latency introduced by plugins is automatically compensated by reaper when rendering a project in a process called PDC (Plugin delay compensation).

Hence (other when playing Live and in certain cases when listening using "start")
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
Boogieshoes

Michael,

Thank you for your kind and rapid reply. It's more of a return as I registered way back in 2009 but work life got in the way..

That is useful to know, but I wonder if I may ask a second question regarding latency given my solo operating setup..

If I have a track and insert a backing track media file into that, does the same PDC compensation apply or would I need to do something more?

Kind regards
Phil
Old 01-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #4
mschnell

"Usually" the PDC takes care of everything when rendering.

If you try e.g. singing to a backing track this should work appropriately, if the recording settings are done correctly (supposedly the default setting is fine).

But I don't have any experience with that.

Supposedly this issue is decently covered in one of the tutorial Videos -> https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:34 AM   #5
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
"Usually" the PDC takes care of everything when rendering.

If you try e.g. singing to a backing track this should work appropriately, if the recording settings are done correctly (supposedly the default setting is fine).

But I don't have any experience with that.

Supposedly this issue is decently covered in one of the tutorial Videos -> https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
-Michael
Thank you again Michael.

I did record a test long long ago when I first found Reaper in about 2009 using a Line 6 Pod device and recording from its USB output but it was so long ago and that kit although I still have it worked differently to having the OctaCpature as it did the guitar amp and effect modelling in the POD not using a secondary VST within Reaper. I used to play more electric guitar but am looking at using more accoustic guitars now hence the octacapture. I only have an old SM58 mic kicking around (everything is old ... where does time go) so I probably need to a deal more research yet to get something acceptable out of things.

I will get there but it will take a bit of time as I haven't done this for years and I am a lot slower at working things out than I think I was....

Phil
Old 01-25-2021, 03:09 AM   #6
martmix

im using a roland quad-capture (buffer set to 128)
both recording\mixing
martmix is online now   Reply With Quote