Old 12-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
Junolab
Human being with feelings

Default Softube Console 1 Fader and midi automation

Does any one of you use the Softube Console Fader for midi automation and how's your setup? I've watched a bunch of guides but no matter what I do I cannot get Reaper to recognise a fader, so it can be used for the automation (Using Midi Learn)
Junolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 04:48 AM   #2
Junolab

No one?
Old 12-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Troychapman

It’s not clear what you want to accomplish (at least to me).

If you want to use the fader as a midi controller (without the Softube plugin) it should be selected in Preferences-Midi controllers, and then assigned to the actions you need.

If you are using the plugin be sure to use the VST3 version, and do NOT select the Fader in the prefererences-midi control.

You might also need to check out CSI. A bit more work but it might give you the functionality you are looking for.

Wish I could give you a better answer. Good luck!
Troychapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #4
Junolab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troychapman View Post
It’s not clear what you want to accomplish (at least to me).

If you want to use the fader as a midi controller (without the Softube plugin) it should be selected in Preferences-Midi controllers, and then assigned to the actions you need.

If you are using the plugin be sure to use the VST3 version, and do NOT select the Fader in the prefererences-midi control.

You might also need to check out CSI. A bit more work but it might give you the functionality you are looking for.

Wish I could give you a better answer. Good luck!
Thanks Troy! Appreciate your response. What I want to accomplish is to use the Fader for various automation work, so I can use the faders instead of the mouse. The Fader are still used to control the usual C1 plugins, but I know it should be possible to switch "mode" so it goes from being the plugin-contorller to a standard midi controller where I can use "midi learn" to set a specific fader for whatever any midi controller can do. Does it make sense?
Old 01-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #5
Troychapman

I just got my Console 1 (Original, not Fader, but they should be very similar) to control the "Threshold" slider in Reacomp. So I think it can be done.

1- I do not think you can run the the Console Fader as a proprietary plugin controller AND a midi controller at the same time.

2- Quit the Softube OSD application.
3- Unplug the USB connection to the Fader to reset midi. You might want to do this a couple times to be sure.
4- Reaper Preferences- Midi Devices - Enable console 1
5- Select "learn" in your selected plugin, and you should have a midi signal from the Fader.
I can only get info to flow from Fader to plugin so I don't know if your moving faders will follow automation.

Don't forget to undo all of this if this doesn't turn out to be the solution of your choice!

Good luck!
Troychapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #6
thresholdpeople

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troychapman View Post
1- I do not think you can run the the Console Fader as a proprietary plugin controller AND a midi controller at the same time.

2- Quit the Softube OSD application.
3- Unplug the USB connection to the Fader to reset midi. You might want to do this a couple times to be sure.
4- Reaper Preferences- Midi Devices - Enable console 1
5- Select "learn" in your selected plugin, and you should have a midi signal from the Fader.
I can only get info to flow from Fader to plugin so I don't know if your moving faders will follow automation.
Just confirming that this is the only way it works based on experimentation and asking Softube about it.

If you want to automate the Console 1 VST with it, it works without mapping anything. But if you want it as a general controller it won't. And if you use it as a general controller you might have a hard time getting the faders to provide touch automation behavior. Though the motors should follow previously written automation so Read and Write will work.
thresholdpeople is offline   Reply With Quote