Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 01-25-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
CaezarZzz
Human being with feelings

Default Optimal CPU performance according to built-in Performance Meter

Hi! (Advice me on which forum this is for if not here)

I've searched a little bit about this but had no luck. The only thing I found was that the Performance Meter Reaper has built-in isn't 100% reliable, which I understand. But what CPU performance percentage is optimal to not make it crash? I've been trying to keep every individual track under 2.00% but whenever I add an EQ it goes up to 2.70%+ on that track. What's the solution for the "EQ issue" and should I keep trying to keep it under 2.00%? Or is it no problem going over?

I currently have a fairly weak CPU but it's the second best in it's series. It's old, yet reliable in my case. The CPU I got is a AMD FX-8350 with 4GHz Base Speed, and is running on 3 cores I just noticed. It was 4 a while ago. I'll take that question to another forum. I am using between 20-25% of my CPU when I have Reaper and Google Chrome open, I do not have Chrome open at all times when I use Reaper. Only when I need a new plug-in or look up some tutorial or something since I'm just shy of 3 years in the whole "commercial producing".

I'm greatful for any advice you can give me on this!
CaezarZzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 03:36 AM   #2
jrk

There would be no problem going over 2% if you only have a few tracks. But if you've got many tracks, you'll hit a wall pretty soon.

The measure you're really interested in is total "RT cpu", which you can show in the performance meter. If that's getting near 100/(number of cores) you're bound for trouble.

I dunno what "EQ" you're using, but some, particularly linear phase, will use more CPU
than others. Consider alternatives.

If you're running short of CPU to the point that playback is suffering consider freezing tracks.

If you have fx on the master, create a submaster folder and put them on there instead.

Last edited by jrk; 01-25-2021 at 03:49 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 AM   #3
Coachz

Even 100% RT CPU should not cause crashing. I stay below 40 to avoid stuttering

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:53 AM   #4
jrk

right, "crashing" was a bit over-dramatic. 100% RT cpu must cause glitching, no? I suspect the magic number might actually depend on your setup / buffer sizes / etc.

For me, (4 cores 8 logical cpu), with my settings, things start to kick off if I go much over 25% RT cpu. As a rule of thumb, that seems to be pretty safe? Altho' tbh, I'm just guessing. It's pretty easy to establish the "red line" for your particular setup. i.e when "playback [starts] suffering".

But the OP was asking
Quote:
What's the solution for the "EQ issue" and should I keep trying to keep it under 2.00%? Or is it no problem going over?

Last edited by jrk; 01-25-2021 at 06:05 AM.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:12 AM   #5
Coachz

Freeze tracks if you get stuttering or raise buffer.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #6
jrk

yes, I said that already, no, wait, I missed buffer