Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-14-2016, 10:02 PM   #1
michael diemer
Human being with feelings

Default Setting Up Aria Player

(Solved) Hi, I want to set up my Garritan Aria Player for 16 channels of midi.Channel 1-flute, channel 2 =oboe, and so on. but so far, Everything I play is the flute. I play the trumpet, I hear the flute. I play the violins, I hear the flute. I have been assigning midi channels from the drop-down list, and I can hear all the instruments if I play them within the Aria Player, just not when I play them from my keyboard. I should point opt that I just installed Reaper and am starting out cold. I'm very experienced with Sonar, and have spent a few hours working on this, as well as looking at the manuals. Need some help! Thanks, michael

Last edited by michael diemer; 06-10-2016 at 09:26 AM.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #2
DarkStar

You need to get your keyboard to send the notes on a different MIDI channel.

This can be configured on many keyboards (which one are you using?)

Alternatively, set the channel conversion in Reaper's MIDI input menu. Here's the setting for your oboe:

>>> https://i.imgur.com/WNyv7DI.png

If you have existing MIDI recorded in a MIDI clip you can change the channel of those notes too- select them all, right-click and choose the MIDI channel.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #3
michael diemer

Thank you Dark Star I'll give it a try.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
michael diemer

Tried this but am not getting anywhere. The problem is, I don't know how to get to the list you showed in your graphic. I can't find anything that looks like that, no matter what I click on.

Does it matter that I have the evaluation version? (Not yet purchased).

Edit: OK, I figured out how to get to the list you posted by right-clicking on the Record button. Still can't get racks routed correctly, however. I'll keep trying.

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-15-2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
michael diemer

Been looking at other threads, one including a template (Hopi), but it looks like I need to have an instance of Aria player for all 16 instruments. I could do that, but it would be very resource-heavy, especially considering I use several different vsti's. But I'm probably still not routing it correctly.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #6
michael diemer

I have put approx. 15 hours into this, and have gotten nowhere. I have tried tutorials, templates, not to mention the manual. All I want to do is set up my Aria player for 16 channels. One output, 16 channels. Flute, oboe, etc. I have a simple midi keyboard, no controls other than an on/off switch. It works fine with sonar. I have also tried Cubase and Mixcraft, and have been able to fairly quickly figure them out. I also use the Play synth from East West, plus several others. I don't use more than one output. Just 16 channels. Why is this so hard in Reaper?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
michael diemer

Default Why Is This So Hard To Do?

I have put approx. 15 hours into this, and have gotten nowhere. I have tried tutorials, templates, not to mention the manual. All I want to do is set up my Aria player for 16 channels. One output, 16 channels. Flute, oboe, etc. I have a simple midi keyboard, no controls other than an on/off switch. It works fine with sonar. I have also tried Cubase and Mixcraft, and have been able to fairly quickly figure them out. I also use the Play synth from East West, plus several others. I don't use more than one output. Just 16 channels. Why is this so hard in Reaper?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #8
Susan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
Hi michael-

Assuming you have your MIDI channels set in the Aria Player itself, make sure the REAPER routing is correct. Press the "ROUTE" or "ROUTING" button shown below to the right of the track name to bring the routing window up.

Below is how my routing is set for track 14, which is where my Aria player is inserted. I have multiple outputs, but where you want to look is on the right side of the window where it says "Receives." I've outlined in red where the MIDI routing is and you'll see that each track's MIDI is routed out to a different channel. I've outlined the Receive from track 4 (called "ARIA Player MIDI 2"), which is where the MIDI is routed from the input "All" to the desired channel 2 as an example. Each track routed to the player track is output to a different channel.

If you do it this way, you don't have to map the output of individual channels for each track.

I don't know if this will help, but it's worth checking.

Good luck-

-Susan

Last edited by Susan G; 02-16-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #9
DarkStar

... or, start from scratch:

Quote:
-- right-click in the TCP area below any existing tracks
-- select "Insert virtual instrument on new track"
-- select GPO 4
-- click [Yes] on the "Build Routing confirmation" window; that will create tracks for all of the audio outputs from GPO 4,
-- open the FX window for the GPO 4 track (click the [fx] button)
-- select [Options] >> "Build 16 channel of MIDI routing to this track"

Now you will have 16 tracks sending MIDI (on channels 01 ... 16 respectively)
to GPO 4 and several tracks for the audio outputs from GPO 4.

Within GPO 4, load your instruments and set the routing for each one - receiving MIDI on a particular MIDI channel AND sending its audio to a particular audio output.

Back in Reaper, name your MIDI tracks for their destination instruments and add the MIDI.

Job done.

Much more info is here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=27868
Here's a pic showing the controls for setting the MIDI chanel and audio output for an instrument:

Old 02-16-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
michael diemer

I have studied and tried all the suggestions. It still won't work. All I hear is the flute. Once I put "flute" on channel one of the Aria player, then flute is all that plays, no matter how I configure everything. I add "sends", select Aria Player, and route the send to the correct channel. I do the same with "receives". Nothing I do changes anything. I have tried using the "regular" aria player, as well as the multi. No difference. I am using the 64 bit Aria, I will next try the 32 bit version, maybe that will work.

No, using the 32 bit Aria had no effect. I guess I have to use a new aria for each instrument. Cumbersome, but I have an i7 cpu and 16 GB of ram, so it shouldn't be a problem.

OK, tried using 2 aria instances. Now, both flute AND oboe play. Good grief...

I'm wondering if it's my midi keyboard. It's very basic, no controls other then on/off (power, that is). But it does work with sonar and several other DAWS. I'll keep trying, and please keep the help coming, I really appreciate it!

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-16-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
DarkStar

The steps I described do work - please follow them and post your ZIPped-up project as an attachment so we can see what's not working for you.

Or, open the attached project, put ARIA on track 01, add your instruments and route each one.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ARIA_DS_01.zip (2.5 KB, 142 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
michael diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
The steps I described do work - please follow them and post your ZIPped-up project as an attachment so we can see what's not working for you.

Or, open the attached project, put ARIA on track 01, add your instruments and route each one.
No matter what I do, everything gets sent to channel 1. I am so sick of hearing that damn flute! I don't know how to post a "ZIPped-up project as an attachment." Sorry, I can only plead being old and not very adept with computers. It's OK, maybe I'll do some research and learn that skill. Don't worry about it.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #13
michael diemer

I'm trying your template, Dark Star. So far, I have set three instruments on the Aria player: flute, oboe and eng horn. On channels 1-2-3 respectively. Also, I have selected outputs 1/2-3/4-5/6 respectively. Now, when I play the keyboard on the Aria player, everything is correct. Flute is on channel 1, output 1/2. Oboe is on channel 2, output 3/4, and so on. However, when I play my keyboard controller, everything goes to channel one, and the flute is all I hear. Does that give you any ideas of what might be going on here?

Also: all the tracks say "midi not connected" in the slot next to the FX button. Changing that setting doesn't do anything. I can put it on "Input/ Midi-Map to channel/ channel 2" (for oboes); or any other setting, and it still plays the flute on channel 1.

The virtual keyboard does work. If I change its channel to 2, I do get the oboes. It's just my midi controller that can't seem to find the right channel.

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-17-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
michael diemer

Just thought I'd report another "experiment." I installed my old Audiophile 2496, to see if for some reason everything would finally work. No such luck. Same exact problem, no routing of midi channels, everything going to channel 1. Although the sound was much louder for some reason.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #15
dea-man

What keyboard are you using?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:05 PM   #16
michael diemer

Hi there, it's called The Masterkeyboard Studio 49, by Fatar (Italy). Quite ancient, no controls, just an on/off switch. but it works fine in Sonar. I've created several orchestral works with it. I have been suspecting it may be the problem.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:26 AM   #17
DarkStar

Quote:
I'm trying your template, DarkStar. So far, I have set three instruments on the Aria player: flute, oboe and eng horn. On channels 1-2-3 respectively. Also, I have selected outputs 1/2-3/4-5/6 respectively. Now, when I play the keyboard on the Aria player, everything is correct. Flute is on channel 1, output 1/2. Oboe is on channel 2, output 3/4, and so on.
Good Oh So you have now seen that Reaper can do exactly what you're after.

Quote:
However, when I play my keyboard controller, everything goes to channel one, and the flute is all I hear. Does that give you any ideas of what might be going on here?
When playing your keyboard you will need to RecArm the appropriate "MIDI" track, NOT the ARIA Player track. Then the MIDI will be received on that "MIDI" track (on whatever MIDI channel your keyboard is set to) and recorded there; it is then Sent from that track to the ARIA track, changing the MIDI channel, so that it arrives in ARIA on the appropriate MIDI channel and triggers the appropriate instrument.

If the ARIA track is RecArmed then the MIDI from your keyboard will be received there and sent to ARIA on MIDi channel 01, so triggering that instrument only.

Quote:
Also: all the tracks say "midi not connected" in the slot next to the FX button. Changing that setting doesn't do anything. I can put it on "Input/ Midi-Map to channel/ channel 2" (for oboes); or any other setting, and it still plays the flute on channel 1.
Select your keyboard as the MIDI Input device for each of those tracks
Quote:
The virtual keyboard does work. If I change its channel to 2, I do get the oboes. It's just my midi controller that can't seem to find the right channel.
THe above steps should fix that.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #18
dea-man

From some quick Google-Fu I see that your keyboard only sends midi info on midi channel 1.

Is that correct?

If so, just set up Aria to play whatever sound you want to record, to receive on channel 1. Change every other sound to some other midi channel.

Since you can't change your keyboard, change Aria.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #19
michael diemer

Thanks for that info, dea-man. For some reason it never occurred to me to google my keyboard. I guess I figured it was so old, it wouldn't even be listed.

If I understand what you're saying, I already do set up my aria player so that each instrument is on a different channel. I have a standard procedure where flutes are on 1, oboes on 2, etc, down to the basses on 16. And this works fine on Sonar.

I have done a general internet search on problems with routing in Reaper, and I have come across similar problems. I'll supply a link to one later (can't now as I'm on Linux & that link is saved to Windows).
Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #20
michael diemer

Dark Star, I will try your latest suggestions. As for selecting my keyboard, I can't, it doesn't show up. The closest I can get to that is to select my UR-22, to which my keyboard midi cable attaches.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #21
DarkStar

Your last post says that the keyboard MIDI cable is connected to the UR-22 - I guess that the UR-22 MIDI device name is the one to select. Can you tell us what it says in the MIDI Input Devices panel in Reaper's Preferences?

And, as you had said you had in your first post that you were able to play sounds in ARIA I concluded that you had managed to get your keyboard connected into Reaper.

If so, then just select that same device on those "MIDI" tracks.

----------------
As for the MIDI channels, please reread what I have written AND look closely at the routing in the project I uploaded. You will, I hope, see that any MIDI received by a RecArmed / Input Monitored track will be sent to the ARIA track AND the MIDI channel of the notes will be changed. There is no need to do anything more with your keyboard.

Have a look at the Routing Matrix - it shows the 16 "MIDI" tracks routed to the ARIA track - hover over the number and you'll see the details of the routing. It also shows the routing of the audio from the ARIA track - that track is multi-channel (for all the different outputs form ARIA) and each pair of channels is routed to a separate Reaper track.

Right-click this link and open in new window: https://i.imgur.com/SHv2GvZ.png

Or look at the Routing window for the ARIA track - it sohws the same info but in a different format:

Right-click this link and open in new window: https://i.imgur.com/1STUT0b.png
Old 02-18-2016, 12:10 PM   #22
michael diemer

[QUOTE=DarkStar;1639824]Good Oh So you have now seen that Reaper can do exactly what you're after.

I mean the keyboard within Aria, not my external controller (just to be clear - you probably knew that).

"When playing your keyboard you will need to RecArm the appropriate "MIDI" track, NOT the ARIA Player track. Then the MIDI will be received on that "MIDI" track (on whatever MIDI channel your keyboard is set to) and recorded there; it is then Sent from that track to the ARIA track, changing the MIDI channel, so that it arrives in ARIA on the appropriate MIDI channel and triggers the appropriate instrument. If the ARIA track is RecArmed then the MIDI from your keyboard will be received there and sent to ARIA on MIDi channel 01, so triggering that instrument only."

If I disarm the record on the Aria track, I get nothing. When I arm it, my controller plays the aria on track one (flute), just as you say.

I should point out that I am working in your template. The only changes I have made to it were to put in the first three inst. on Aria. If I tinker with it, I don't save, so I have the virgin copy when I reload.

OK, I just absorbed your latest effort to help me solve this, which by the way I greatly appreciate. Continuing to work in your template: The routing of track one, Aria player, is exactly the same as the example you provided. Actually, Susan G's example is also the same, and I have in fact been doing that. (Also, yes, the UR-22 is selected in Midi devices under preferences).

Now, I just did the following: right-clicking on the rec/armed button under input for the oboe, I selected the Ur-22 on channel 2. No sound when I play my keyboard. However, if I select channel 1, or all channels, I get the oboe. But the flute of course is also playing, unless I disarm it.

What do you think about dea-man's point about my keyboard only sending on one channel? Could that be the problem?

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-18-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #23
DarkStar

OK, my apologies for the confusion

Don't worry if this all seems daunting at the moment - once you get it, you'll really get it

Now, I understand that if the ARIA track is RecArmed you can play your keyboard and hear the first instrument. Is that right?

If so, disable RecArm on that track. RecArm the next track, make sure that Input Monitoring (the speaker icon) is enabled - grey-green) and select the same input device on this track as was selected for the ARIA track.

Play your keyboard and you should hear the second instrument.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #24
michael diemer

Yes, when I do that I can hear the oboe, also the eng horn. But - unless I disable the other two, all three play. In other words, the only way to hear just the inst. I want, is to disable all others. but that wouldn't work too well for playback, when I want to hear more than one inst.

The input for the aria player track was set to "all midi inputs/all channels." Per your instructions, I set the flute, oboe and eng horn the same way. That allows my keyboard to play any inst, bu if I don't disable all others, I hear them as well.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #25
DarkStar

Getting there

Yes, if a track is RecArmed then the MIDI form your keyboard will go to that track. If several are RecArmed it will go to all of them.

Now RecArm the first MIDI track, disable the others.

Click the Record button in Reaper's Transport and play your keyboard. The MIDI notes will be recorded and the track and sent to ARIA to produce the audio.

RecArm the second MIDI track, disable the others.

Click the Record button in Reaper's Transport and play your keyboard. You will hear the first track playing back. The MIDI notes will be recorded on the second track and the track and also sent to ARIA to produce the audio.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #26
michael diemer

Yep, did that, it was just as you say.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #27
DarkStar

OK, Now just play around for a while, have a look at the manual to make sure you get a good grasp of what's going on.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #28
michael diemer

Will do, and thanks. We have made progress! Hopefully, some practice will get me the rest of the way there.

I wonder about this, though: it seems I have to rec/arm the track I want to hear, and make sure no others are armed. I do a lot of playing around with, say a melody, to see which inst it sounds best on. In Sonar, I can just click on each inst and play as needed. In Reaper, it looks like I have to do some other stuff first. Is there a way around this? Is it because my keyboard only sends on one channel? If so, that can be solved by getting a new keyboard, something I'm planning on doing anyway.

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-18-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #29
DarkStar

There is a method to set all the tracks to "RecArm when track is selected" - have a look at 3.7 in the User Guide.

I don't think that a different keyboard would help with the auditioning different instruments. What you could do is just load another instrument into a spare slot in ARIA and RecArm the appropriate "MIDI" track. Then change the instrument in ARIA.

PS if you want to rename your "MIDI" tracks for their instruments, double-click the track name and type it in; press Tab to go to the next one and Return to end editing them.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:33 PM   #30
michael diemer

Thanks again, Dark Star. The auto-arming works great. Now I can audition on any track, just like in Sonar. That is very helpful.

Now that I have Aria up and running, the sounds need some reverb. I know about Reaverb and I will work with that, but the Aria player comes with its own reverb. But turning it on doesn't do anything. Is there a way to get that working?
Old 02-18-2016, 04:20 PM   #31
DarkStar

Do you mean "Ambence Reverb"? According to the ARIA Manual (hint ) you have to turn up the Send level on the instruments to send some audio to the Reverb.

I'll guess that the Reverbed audio is output on outputs 1+2 so you will need not to use those outputs for any of your instruments (move them to 3+4 etc upwards).
Old 02-18-2016, 07:49 PM   #32
michael diemer

On Sonar, there is a slider right on the Track view that controls it. I know it will work differently on Reaper, I was just hoping it would be simple. but I'll figure it out. Good tip that, read the Aria manual. (Duh).
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #33
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Do you mean "Ambence Reverb"? According to the ARIA Manual (hint ) you have to turn up the Send level on the instruments to send some audio to the Reverb.

I'll guess that the Reverbed audio is output on outputs 1+2 so you will need not to use those outputs for any of your instruments (move them to 3+4 etc upwards).
Heh heh, wow DS, I didn't know that. Actually I don't use the Aria's reverb but it's good to know, thankyou.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #34
michael diemer

Got the Aria reverb figured out. You simply adjust the send at the top of the Aria mixer. I didn't run into any routing issues. You can adjust the pan right below it. what a difference!

Incidentally, in addition to Ambience, the new Aria player also has an excellent convolution reverb.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:07 AM   #35
DarkStar

You're (both) welcome.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:29 PM   #36
michael diemer

I still have one problem: when I play any instrument, it plays correctly, and is on its correct output. However, I just noticed that the flute plays with it. So like, if I play the oboe, it plays on output 3/4, but the flute is also playing on 1/2. I didn't notice it because it was silent as I was selecting only the oboe. This is the case for every inst. They all play, but so does the flute! That dang flute player, he just has to get in on everything! How can we shut him up, except when it's his turn?
Old 02-20-2016, 04:08 AM   #37
DarkStar

Do you mean you get the same notes played on your selected track and on the flute?

Disable RecArm on the flute track?

Or, did you mean something-else?

Or, perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file (on Windows, right-click >> Send to ... compressed (zipped) folder) and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening?

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 02-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #38
michael diemer

Dark Star, I mean that when I play the oboe (just playing it, not recording or playing back), its output (3/4) is active. And at the same time, the flute's output, 1/2, is also active. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a screenshot. (I know how to take one, it's just posting it that confuses me).

I've thought of a possible workaround: just don't use channel one. Put the flute on a different channel. I always use more than one instance of Aria or Play anyway. For example, I put woods and brass on one aria/play, and strings and perc on another. Then I have as many channels/outputs as I need, and don't have to use channel one. I'll give that a try.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #39
michael diemer

OK, I tried not using channel 1. Here's what I did: I moved the flutes to channel 9, where the tuba was. I also deleted the send to channel one. The result: channel one did stop playing, and the flute did play on its new channel. But weirdly, I lost all reverb! I was using the sends on the aria player for reverb. I'll have to figure that out, but so far this workaround did solve the problem of channel one always playing whether it was selected or not.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #40
michael diemer

No luck so far figuring out why I lost reverb. I'm currently experimenting with a simple approach: One vsti per inst. I just insert a "simple" aria player, with just one output. Then as many inst. tracks as I need, each paired with its own aria player. I can put everything on channel one then, and only the vsti the inst. is assigned to will play. And the reverb on the aria player works. I know doing it this is not CPU-efficient, but on my music rig it shouldn't be a problem as I believe I have the specs to cover it.

I'm going to go with this approach for now. I need to move on and work on learning the other features in Reaper. Somewhere down the road I'm sure I'll get this problem sorted out. I'm going to import my current project, delete all unnecessary tracks, and put in my various synths, each with just one inst and output. Then I can learn about buses, FX, etc. And of course mixing. So far, I am very impressed with Reaper and am confident it's going to work out for me. Thanks to all who helped, especially Dark Star and Susan G.

Last edited by michael diemer; 02-20-2016 at 02:07 PM.