Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 05-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #41
earlabs
Human being with feelings

I started this thread about 5 months ago and look where we are now . Is anyone capable of making a sort of chart that indicates what is implemented in WIN and what in the MAC version?

Like:
.......................WIN.......MAC
mixer................yes.......yes
envelopes..........yes.......no
etcetera
Old 05-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #42
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlabs View Post
I started this thread about 5 months ago and look where we are now . Is anyone capable of making a sort of chart that indicates what is implemented in WIN and what in the MAC version?

Like:
.......................WIN.......MAC
mixer................yes.......yes
envelopes..........yes.......no
etcetera

At this point, the things missing, off the top of my head, are:
  • mp3 export if lame_enc.dll is installed
  • reaninjam (though this will be in the next build!)
  • CD burning and bin/cue generation
  • media explorer
  • video support

am I forgetting anything else? probably..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 AM   #43
earlabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
At this point, the things missing, off the top of my head, are:
  • mp3 export if lame_enc.dll is installed
  • reaninjam (though this will be in the next build!)
  • CD burning and bin/cue generation
  • media explorer
  • video support

am I forgetting anything else? probably..
Those are all nice-to-haves as far as I'm concerned. That's fantastic! You've really worked hard to get it level with the WIN version! But I've always known you to be a hard (strike that), diligent (strike that), ravenous workaholic so you probably feel great, don'tcha?
Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #44
Marketing

Default sorry but..

sorry to jump in but I just wanted to say...

Hi,

I'm mac user.

Peace,
Marketing
Marketing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #45
airon

Woho. That is indeed good news. I know some lads who'll be pleased to know Reaper is so close to being in sync on the Mac.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:19 AM   #46
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
Maybe 10 years ago Mac had an advantage... but today?
Even more today. And i say that as a Windoze user.
Quote:
Macs are great. the OS is pretty and fun to use. There are many things that bode well for these machines, as we all know.
The OS is pretty and fun to use?

I'm wondering, if you have ever seen a Linux/MacOS system in action?

Open a PDF document.
Open directories and menues.
Start applications.

Windows is fat, slow, unresponsive, a resource hog and extremely vulnerable.
MacOS is slim, fast, responsive, safe.

If you want to get a feel, how a decent OS would run on your computer, just download and install Ubuntu.

Last edited by Odin; 06-03-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #47
Tallisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Even more today. And i say that as a Windoze user.

The OS is pretty and fun to use?

I'm wondering, if you have ever seen a Linux/MacOS system in action?

Open a PDF document.
Open directories and menues.
Start applications.

Windows is fat, slow, unresponsive, a resource hog and extremely vulnerable.
MacOS is slim, fast, responsive, safe.

If you want to get a feel, how a decent OS would run on your computer, just download and install Ubuntu.

thanks for the advice.
I run Ubuntu Hardy on the kids and wife's computer.
I run Ubuntu Studio on my laptop dual booted with a very lean XP install.
I run Leopard 10.5.2 dual boot with a similarly lean XP installation on my main box.

That said, if your windows machine is not sufficient to run a stable and responsive DAW, then who ever is in charge of configuring it, and maintaining it, is making mistakes, or plugging bunk parts into the slots.

greetings

.t

http://tallisman.bandcamp.com <--Me.

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Tallisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:38 AM   #48
Dewdman42

Another Hack and future full Mac user here. Just getting into Reaper and am getting more and more interested about what I am finding.
Dewdman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #49
Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallisman View Post
That said, if your windows machine is not sufficient to run a stable and responsive DAW, then who ever is in charge of configuring it, and maintaining it, is making mistakes, or plugging bunk parts into the slots.
I think it's funny, that you write Macs would have become obsolete these days, while you claim, you have knowledge about Linux.
I have never met anyone with knowledge about a decent OS, like Linux, who said, that Macs were obsolete due to Windows.

You write you have Ubuntu installed and you don't know, no matter what you do, how much you tweak Windoze, it is never as responsive as Linux (same for MacOS)?
The reason is the OS itself. From the technical point of view, Windows is software garbage, it's patchwork and it has become even worse with Vista.

Your try to distract from the given examples, by claiming i were not capable to setup a solid Windoze system, can easily be seen as straw man.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #50
airon

Guys.

Both Mac and Windows is used for high-performance applications. Who cares about whether some small bits are slower or faster. It's all in the user experience for me, and I know how to set up and use Windows.

That said, I recommend MacOSX and Ubuntu Linux for any user with little experience in building and maintaining a self-built computer.

Any performance comparisons should focus on Reaper in this thread, not the OS in general or any of the general user population. If you'd like to discuss such topics, do it elsewhere, but not in the Mac section of this forum, where pre-alpha builds of Reaper are the topic of discussion at this time.

It may be a good idea to generate a test session for benchmarking purposes. People with dual-boot installations of MacOSX and Windows could run test sessions to compare many different performance parameters, such as latency, recording, live monitoring with Anticipative FX switched off for recording tracks and live fx, GUI speed for zooming, editing and screenset switching, and so much more.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #51
Tallisman

Quote:
I think it's funny, that you write Macs would have become obsolete these days, while you claim, you have knowledge about Linux.
I have never met anyone with knowledge about a decent OS, like Linux, who said, that Macs were obsolete due to Windows.
there must be some sort of language barrier happening here as I have never said that Macs were obsolete. Neither did I say such about Mac OS. What I did say, and still stand by is this: Claiming that a Mac, or mac OS is a necessity, a fundamental, must-have foundation for professional caliber DAWs, holds the same water as saying that you cannot be a pro outfit without pro tools. 10 years ago, this was probably true; not today.

good day

.t

"Excuse me. Could you please point me in the direction of the self-help section?"
Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 AM   #52
Odin

And again you use strawmans.
You wrote, that Macs would have no advantages these days.
What is the conclusion, if something has no advantage but is more expensive than the alternative?

It's plain wrong, that Macs would have no advantages.
Besides the non-technical advantages, there are the technical advantages of the OS and the software.
Since you prefer to talk in a rabulistic way instead to bring counter arguments to the facts i presented, i will stop this stupid discussion with this reply.

As last argument that MACs have no advantages: a Mac can be run on the internet without any antivir-software, while 15% of the performance on a Windoze machine is eaten by them.

This topic is no longer watched by me, so don't try to write another rabulistic and factfree reply.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:43 AM   #53
kerryg

Quote:
What is the conclusion, if something has no advantage but is more expensive than the alternative?

Besides the non-technical advantages, there are the technical advantages of the OS and the software.
Since you prefer to talk in a rabulistic way instead to bring counter arguments to the facts i presented, i will stop this stupid discussion with this reply.

As last argument that MACs have no advantages: a Mac can be run on the internet without any antivir-software, while 15% of the performance on a Windoze machine is eaten by them.

This topic is no longer watched by me, so don't try to write another rabulistic and factfree reply.
I've been a pure Mac user myself for 16 years, and was a Mac audio consultant for studios for years. I see PCs cropping up all over the place in pro studios nowadays as the platform of choice.

I have no real idea what point you're trying to make here, but here's the reality: whatever the case may have been ten years ago - many of my production partners have been on PCs for years now, running Nuendo and REAPER and a host of other platforms. They get great results and their rigs run with stability, power and flexibility to spare.

I really don't care about "abstracts" and "theories". My actual experience is that while it certainly seems true that PC-based DAWs may take somewhat more tweaking than Macs, and that you definitely have to be on top of the components you're using in your DAW and how they interact - in the hands of a competent pro PC-based DAWS have been completely stable, completely formidable, completely professional and up to the most critical applications, certainly every bit as much so as a Mac. And this has been the case for many years.

I fixed studios' crashing Macs professionally for years, so you can't sell me the "Macs are solid as a rock" BS. Don't even go there - if they were, I wouldn't have made a living fixing them.

You're probably unaware of how rudely you're responding to Talismann, who is being pretty polite in return. But you just come off as "trying to pick a platform-war fight". Those days are long over and done.

The winners in 2008 are the end users who have long outgrown this childish "my platform is better than your platform!" dickwaving, really couldn't give a rat's ass about which kind of computer they capture the all-important "great performance of a great song" on, and are just happy to have a range of choices - all of them good and valid.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM   #54
airon

I'll have this thread locked if this goes any further. Kerryg has stated the bleeding obvious, and that's that.

Now can anyone remember who put out a performance test session last year ?

For that matter, and this is addressed to you Justin, is performance data of sessions like that of any use to you, or do you have that kind of testing covered yourself ?

If so, I'll stick to reporting bugs.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #55
kerryg

Default I might give a try

at running such a performance test myself, if there's a downloadable test session or instructions. Dual G5, 2ghz.

PS: sorry for stating the obvious. It's probably because I'm a bass player - that's pretty much our entire job description in a nutshell.

Last edited by kerryg; 06-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.
kerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #56
airon

Pay it no more attention.

The test sessions were created by TAFKAT. They were introduced when he made tests to see how different DAWs scaled with more CPU cores. The thread is here:
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...uendo+shootout

The benchmark sessions can all be found here:
http://www.dawbench.com/benchmarks.htm

The X-Scaling results are here if anyone's interested:
http://www.dawbench.com/dawbenchdsp-x-scaling.htm

Get the Universal Benchmark, which is the topmost entry on the page at the present time.

I'm curious to see results, but I only hope they'll show the odd weakness of either build and perhaps help with fixing a performance issue or two, should there be any.

I'll run the test on my MacbookPro, which is last generation(before the multitouch pad) 2.14 GHz, 15" screen, 120 GB HD.

Last edited by airon; 06-04-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #57
Tallisman

Quote:

I don't know what rabulistic means.
does it mean, "I hate it when folks pee in my cornflakes?"

Hey JBM what anti virus do you use?

fact #1: Jack Ruby was sentenced to death for shooting Lee Harvey Oswald but died in prison whilst awaiting a retrial.

fact #2: God prefers Macs

this has was authored in Firefox running on an intel q6600 running Leopard 10.5.2. without antivirus

Fact 3: kerryg knows the deal.

Fact 4: Airon rocks! sorry for my part in this foolishness.

.t

Last edited by Tallisman; 06-05-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #58
earlabs

This thread is derailing. I wasn't trying to impose a war between windows (windoze, hahahahahah... are we finished?) users and followers of the cult of mac. Jeez, give it a rest.

I merely wanted to know the difference in development between the mac and the windows version of REAPER. Nothing else.

Thank you
the management.