Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

View Poll Results: Would you use this feature?
Yes 251 99.60%
No 1 0.40%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #161
tack
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Great ! OSC or directly in Reaper ? In what way ? Using which tools ?
Directly in Reaper, using a Lua script to handle track changes, and a JSFX that's dropped on each track whose CCs you want to sync. The job of the FX is just to intercept and remember all CCs on all channels before passing them through the FX chain, and to retrigger all observed CCs when the track is changed.

There's a little bit more to it, but actually it's not terribly complex.

Would be great if this was a native feature though.
tack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #162
mschnell

Very interesting. I'll be happy to take a look at this, soon.

It sounds more like the stuff I m going to need (handling VSTs) than as being a means to usual DAW controlling (handling Reaper sliders/buttons/parameters).

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 AM   #163
tack

I finally got around to releasing the scripts (Reapack compatible):

https://github.com/jtackaberry/reascripts

I also did a video showing how it works and how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO6eQt6L1KI

It's a bit kludgy, admittedly, but amazingly it works.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #164
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
Thanks for sharing, watching your video, cool, can not bome midi translator be replaced by oscii-bot?
I'm afraid I don't know OSCII-bot well enough to say, but it's probably not out of the question.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:00 PM   #165
tack

It'd be nice if it was available natively and done properly, but I take your basic point, and actually if it was available natively today it would probably be done wrong.

Reaper's control surface integration today is bizarre in that it seems impossible to sync to a control surface unless you actually physically use your mouse to click on tracks. Any other means to select tracks (actions or APIs) won't update control surfaces. It's a frustrating limitation.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #166
sonicowl

+1 for native implementation of midi feedback for controllers.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #167
lajibe

+1
It would be great
lajibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 PM   #168
saastara

Quote:
Originally Posted by tack View Post

Interresting, would this also work on track's fx parameters controlled with encoders?
saastara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #169
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by saastara View Post
Interresting, would this also work on track's fx parameters controlled with encoders?
Only if the FX in question consumed MIDI CC events directly and didn't rely on any other translations outside the FX chain. (For example, this wouldn't work with the "Adjust last touched FX parameter" action.)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #170
kaeru

Quote:

I find this absolutely amazing, great job putting this together and for making the video !

I've been holding off on purchasing a control surface because there just doesn't seem to be a middle ground between MIDI controller and DAW controller and your setup seems perfect to me !
kaeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 04:50 AM   #171
mschnell

BTW.:
Right now we are doing a kind of OSCIIBot in hardware.

A little box containing a RasPi3 to connect to an OSC enabled device via LAN or WLAN and to some Controller board via Midi over USB.

Right now we don't especially intend to use it with Reaper, but with a Behringer XR18 Rack-mixer (that features OSC remote controlling via WLAN out of the box). As a controller board we will use a Behringer BCR2000 that is sitting around unused in the studio (while a BFC2000 and a Behringer X32 is used as a controller for Reaper).

Of course there will be some control-files to be loaded that will define the operation of the box and should allow to make it manage the bidirectional communication between any appropriate OCS and any appropriate Midi device.

As the software for the thingy is done in Python, it would run on PC without porting, too, but for this usage case we already do have OSCIIBot.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-23-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #172
aehbon

Default Midi Feedback

Is there any movement on this? I just picked up a BCR2000 assuming Reaper would support encoder communication. Pretty bummed it doesn't.

I'm not sure it would be in the MIDI realm but it would also be cool to use this for step sequencer playback on a Beatstep. (Maybe this already exists)

Fingers crossed!
aehbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:11 AM   #173
mschnell

see -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143&page=4

-Michael
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM   #174
Piszpan

I feel obligated to report this to everyone interested: THERE IS A WORKING SOLUTION FOR PARAMETER FEEDBACK FROM REAPER TO CONTROLLER!

I've been following this thread (and several others, similar to this one) for circa 2 years, hoping for a solution. I have a BCR2000 which works great in Studio One, but is next to useless in Reaper, because of no MIDI CC feedback. Two months ago I took a risk and bought Nektar Panorama P1 controller. IT SUPPORTS FULL PARAMETER FEEDBACK FROM REAPER!, including parameter names, values, following selected tracks etc. It has some factory installed mappings for popular plugins (including soft synths), it also lets you create custom mappings and even creates full mappings for new plugins if you're too lazy to do it. Endless encoders, parameter feedback + much more functionality (DAW control, sends, inserts etc. etc. etc.).

Why didn't anybody tell me about this controller before???

Just try it and ease your pain, as I did.

Last edited by Piszpan; 07-22-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Piszpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:28 PM   #175
homayoonk

Quote:

Hello Thanks for the video and the great work ,

Ive been trying to do the same as you told in the video and I do everything but the temporary midi output thingy to hardware doesn't come up like in the video , and If I try to do it manually it deletes it when I switch the channel ! can you please guide me a bit ?

Cheers
Homayoon
homayoonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #176
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by homayoonk View Post
Ive been trying to do the same as you told in the video and I do everything but the temporary midi output thingy to hardware doesn't come up like in the video , and If I try to do it manually it deletes it when I switch the channel ! can you please guide me a bit ?
Switch the channel? How are you switching the channel?

Or do you mean switch tracks? The hardware output can only be on one track at a time, which is why the CC Sync background script removes the output when you switch away from the track. After all, if it were on more than one track at the same time, the control surface would be blasted with CC events from all those tracks and act a bit schizophrenic

There's some instructions at the top of the script that might help with usage.

https://github.com/jtackaberry/reasc...k%20Select.lua

If you're still stuck, could you elaborate a bit more on what you tried and what's not working?

Cheers!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:11 PM   #177
Illusionaire

+1 for midi control feedback. Have been waiting for this since 2009.

I tried a couple of workarounds I found in the discussion, but nothing worked in my case. And most solutions are too complicated for me, as I am no programmer. Especially oscii-bot and Pure Data seemed promissing at first, but I lost 4 nights' sleep trying to set them up but I failed.

And tack's solution seems great and easy to set up (thanks for the scripts and the instructions by the way!) but unfortunately it didn't work for me either. The scripts worked, but I had no feedback on the controler.

Thanks everyone for trying to find solutions. I hope one day reaper implements a native solution to make things easier for people like me who use it only as an audio tool and know nothing about programming.
Illusionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:28 PM   #178
mschnell

This is not a "have or not have" thing, but it needs dedicated support for any controller and any workflow.

See this thread -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

Geoff is designing a tool that reads configuration files (really a set of those) for supporting a controller and a workflow.

-Michael
Old 02-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #179
nofish

Quote:
This is not a "have or not have" thing,
Yes it is.

Quote:
but it needs dedicated support for any controller and any workflow.
No it doesn't.

All that's asked here is basically this:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....285#post888285
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 PM   #180
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
No it doesn't.
so all the hard work Geoff is doing in the thread mentioned above is completely in vain ?
-Michael
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #181
nofish

Quote:
so all the hard work Geoff is doing in the thread mentioned above is completely in vain ?
-Michael
No, it's a great great project and I'm looking forward to it. But it's for a for a slightly different use case.
This request here is about using Reaper's native 'Learn' functionality.

https://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4388
Old 02-07-2018, 04:27 AM   #182
Illusionaire

Indeed, the easiest feature would be to natively link the learn function with feedback to the controller. It works in Cubase/Nuendo since the late 90's at least, when I used it there. Pro Tools and Logic too and I am not sure about SawStudio. I don't know about coding, but it shouldn't be hard. And a lot of people are asking for it.
But all personal projects in the forum for a workaround or even improvement of that feature, are very interesting and thank you guys for providing them.

After fiddling some more with Pure Data and losing some more nights' sleep, I came to the following conclusion. Correct me if I am wrong here: When the controller actually sends the CC, there is no reason for feedback. The physical position of the controller corresponds to the value it sets. In my case feedback caused a problem because each time I turned a knob to set a new value, the feedback (probably coming with a little latency) was simultaneously trying to pull the knob back to its original value, impeding the movement. So I think the way to go would be for Reaper to just remember the CC values and send them back once, every time an individual track was selected. And I am refering of course to CC's used by the Learn function. So that would be rather easy I think. The midi port could be easily determined, the routing already exists since the learn function already works, so what is missing is a script to make the track send back its "learned" CC values, every time it is selected.

Tack's clever scripting seems to work on that concept, although for some reason it didn't work for me after two attempts. I will try again though, I'm probably missing something.

As for Geoff's project, I've read the whole thing, some parts twice, and it looks impressive. But I don't get how it works or even what it does exactly at some points. That doesn't make it less important, it's just that I can't follow the discussion and I can't contribute to it, so I'm sticking with this thread instead. I really have no knowledge on programming, I just know how to assign midi routing and that's it. But I feel like there must be a more straightforward solution to the single, very specific feature that this thread is about.
If Tack's idea worked for me, I'd be set to go, and I think it would be easy enough to include it in a future update and make it a permanent feature.

Last edited by Illusionaire; 02-07-2018 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #183
mschnell

Quote:
slightly different use case.
Slightly different translates to enormously more complex.

So I have the impression that the less complex case seems to have very few decent usage cases.

-Michael
Old 02-07-2018, 06:37 AM   #184
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
In my case feedback caused a problem because each time I turned a knob to set a new value, the feedback (probably coming with a little latency) was simultaneously trying to pull the knob back to its original value, impeding the movement.
The only Controller board I have (and tested) is the XTouch Compact. Here the Motor faders are touch sensitive and the feedback (motor action) is automatically inhibited as long as you touch a fader.

-Michael
Old 02-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #185
nofish

Quote:
So I have the impression that the less complex case seems to have very few decent usage cases.

-Michael
Fine, I have a different impression (and obviously the > 200 people who voted yes in this poll and would actually like to use this feature too.)

Last edited by nofish; 02-07-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #186
Illusionaire

Quote:
The only Controller board I have (and tested) is the XTouch Compact. Here the Motor faders are touch sensitive and the feedback (motor action) is automatically inhibited as long as you touch a fader.

-Michael
Nice. My controller's motor faders (US-2400) are touch sensitive too, but I already use them to control track volumes, and they use a more detailed encoding than regular CC's. The thing with this particular feature request is specifically about encoders which send CC messages and can be assigned through the "learn" function. So in most cases, the physical encoders will be cheap rotary knobs with a led ring, which are usually (if not always) not touch sensitive. It makes sense too, because one usually wants many of them to control all parameters, while having the motorized faders available for their intended purpose of mixing levels.
But that's ok, if the solution is based on Tack's point of view. Because it covers exactly that kind of need. Meanwhile I followed his guide again but had no results for the third time. Very frustrating.

I'm willing to help by testing any ideas or scripts provided by anyone. Unfortunately I can't make the scripts myself as I have no such knowledge.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 AM   #187
Luster

+1

It would be cool when the values (feedback) would also be sent when you open up a mapped vst plugin. Example:
All my standard use case plugins are mapped to my BCR2000. So when I open up the plugin window I have always the same knobs at same spot (e.g. compressor threshold...). Switching from plugin to plugin you can mix with that really well. But the LED rings around the encoders are useless. Right now I mapped them in relative mode so I got no parameter jumps but with MIDI feedback they could tell me the actual value of the current plugin open so I don't have to look on the screen to see what is set. It would also help with remembering the mapping. E.g. when you open up an EQ and have a 3 rows of bands and a HP and LP you can immediately distinguish the bands from the filters just by seeing there default values (middle vs. outer bounds).

Quote:
Slightly different translates to enormously more complex.
You mean Geoff' project is more complex? For sure. I remember using MIDI feedback with Reason 2.0 and an old Remote25. Nothing complex in sending some values out when they change internally. My suggestion above isn't that much more but would workflow wise help enormous.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:03 AM   #188
tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
Tack's clever scripting seems to work on that concept, although for some reason it didn't work for me after two attempts. I will try again though, I'm probably missing something.
Clever may be better worded as kludgy, but I couldn't think of a better way to do it given all the limitations.

The JSFX will emit all last-seen CC values when a track is selected, but will also pass through current incoming CCs to the selected MIDI bus.

Using a MIDI bus other than 1 means that downstream plugins (for example, Kontakt) on other buses can't interfere with the MIDI events making it to the MIDI hardware output, but it also means you need some kind of translation layer (like Bome) to convert the resulting SysEx events (which Reaper constructs when using bus > 1 and have encoded within them the original CC event) to a raw CC event to ultimately be sent to the control surface.

[I've been contemplating a tiny JSFX that'll convert from MIDI bus X to bus 1, which you can slot at the end of the FX chain to solve this problem. I've actually integrated the CC sync stuff into my other project Reaticulate so I may do something like this there if I can make it not too offensive a hack.]

Because this is quite inconvenient due to the need for active translation with something like Bome (although it's what I do because I find it more robust), the alternative is to keep it on MIDI bus 1, in which case the JSFX emits normal CC events that are probably what your control surface wants to see. (If they're not then we have other problems: you will still need something in between Reaper and your control surface to translate the events to what it needs.)

The problem here is that many plugins will swallow the events so they never make it through the whole FX chain and reach the configured MIDI hw output. To deal with this, you either need to somehow configure the FX to pass the CCs through (e.g. in Kontakt this is done in the Engine options by setting Send MIDI to Output World: incoming CCs) or to have Reaper itself do this by right clicking on the I/O routing button in the FX window, and enabling MIDI output | Merges with MIDI bus.

This may be where you went wrong?
Old 02-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #189
J Riley Hill

+1
seeing how many people have voted yes on this poll makes me hopeful that this will get implemented eventually. Can't wait!

Last edited by J Riley Hill; 02-13-2018 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #190
mschnell

Quote:
Fine, I have a different impression (and obviously the > 200 people who voted yes in this poll and would actually like to use this feature too.)
They obviously never have been able to test whether this "naive" implementation would provide anything usable for them (of course nor have I ).

-Michael
Old 02-15-2018, 01:26 AM   #191
Vagelis

Midi feedback is possible now with realearn from Helgoboss
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:45 AM   #192
fundorin
Banned

What Reaper needs is a script-based CSurf plugin for midi controllers, similar to what Ableton (Python) / Bitwig (Java) / Studio One (JavaScript) / Reason (Lua) / Reaper Web Control (JavaScript) has to offer.
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #193
experimentfailed

Shameless plug:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....18#post2021618

It's not perfect, but it's simple, open source, Python, and works in Linux.
experimentfailed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:37 PM   #194
mschnell

or -> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=183143

That Reaper extension will not be scriptable but will read configuration files to allow for defining a wide range of surface devices and workflows.

-Michael
Old 03-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #195
Illusionaire

Hello everyone! So I guess there's no news on this feature request?
I keep checking the changelog on every update but I see nothing relevant. Is there anything that has escaped my search, or is this feature forgotten?
Old 03-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #196
tack

For what it's worth, I have some form controller feedback integrated into Reaticulate:

http://reaticulate.com/usage.html#fe...ontrol-surface

Works for CCs and active articulations, but can't feed back things like automation.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #197
Illusionaire

Quote:
For what it's worth, I have some form controller feedback integrated into Reaticulate:

http://reaticulate.com/usage.html#fe...ontrol-surface

Works for CCs and active articulations, but can't feed back things like automation.
Thanks a lot! Looks promissing, I will give it a try!
Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #198
J Riley Hill

I spent some time with ReaLearn. Its pretty incredible what they managed to do with that, but I found the midi feedback to be very finicky. And it crashed a few times.

Would still +1 for native midi feedback functionality.
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #199
vittopascu

+1 absolutely necessary
vittopascu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #200
Scoox

It's been over 7.5 years since this FR was posted, and 239 votes in favour, minus one vote against (because we all have bad days)—doesn't look like this ranks very high on Cocko's to-do list! And yet this is one of the first missing features new Reaper users notice, just like user "vittopascu" above.
Scoox is offline   Reply With Quote