Old 07-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #1
Giorgi_The_Musicman
Human being with feelings

Default PLease HEELP!

Im loosing my sanity...

please someone help... I have a yamaha MG10 Non usb mixer, a M Audio Eight Track... i just wanted to upgrade from scarlet 2i4 so.. i though i could record at least 4 mics for drums... but i cant.. I think i have everything set well in preferences for the asio and channels.. but idk why.. when im recording from my mixer and all the balance knobs are at unity it doesnt matter in which mic i sing in... all of the friggin tracks record it... like its sooooo annoying... mic 1 channel? no problem all 3 other channels record what I sing,... and its not even bleed ... when i pan it, for example mic 1 left mic 2 right mic 3 Left mic 4 Right.. its a disaster.. mic 1 and 3 channel record when i sing in only in mic 1 or 3, same for the mic 2 and 4... someone please help me... I havent slept nights....
Giorgi_The_Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
enroe

Yeah - a first step to the solution is here!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
fred garvin

It sounds like you're recording your mixer bus. To record individual channels from your mixer, in my limited understanding, you'd have to use channel inserts from the mixer into the M-Audio. Which I don't know if you even have on that mixer. But why? Just run the mics into the M-Audio and mix in the box, that's what it and Reaper is for. Good luck!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
ivansc

The mixer is not going to allow you to connect indirectly to the MOTU because it doesnt have inserts or individual outs. So as was said above, you can only record separate tracks if you plug your mics into the MOTU directly.

Hopefully you already found the free user guide and the free video tutorials at reaper.fm... If not, check them both out, as they are very helpful indeed.

Have fun!
Old 07-02-2020, 12:06 AM   #5
Giorgi_The_Musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred garvin View Post
It sounds like you're recording your mixer bus. To record individual channels from your mixer, in my limited understanding, you'd have to use channel inserts from the mixer into the M-Audio. Which I don't know if you even have on that mixer. But why? Just run the mics into the M-Audio and mix in the box, that's what it and Reaper is for. Good luck!
... thats the problem.. it doesnt have inserts.. or id do the 1 click method... and i want a mixer cuz the sound is crisper.. plus I have vintage SM 57 and 58 they need out source power... and plush.. recording drums with the mixer is very very good...
Old 07-02-2020, 12:08 AM   #6
Giorgi_The_Musicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
The mixer is not going to allow you to connect indirectly to the MOTU because it doesnt have inserts or individual outs. So as was said above, you can only record separate tracks if you plug your mics into the MOTU directly.

Hopefully you already found the free user guide and the free video tutorials at reaper.fm... If not, check them both out, as they are very helpful indeed.

Have fun!
thanks bud.. I do use the tutorials..
Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 AM   #7
fred garvin

Well OK then. You seem to understand the basic problem... AFAIK there's no magic solution... the mixer is designed to mix 10 channels, 4 of which have mic preamps, to 2 channels, not to be a 10 channel preamp.

You can buy a much nicer mixer which will give you more bussing and output options... you can buy 3 more MG10s, pan channels 1 and 2 hard R/L on each and get your 8 channels of preamp... you can buy 8 channels of fancy preamps, but probably the preamps in your M-Audio are just fine, you don't mention what model but usually an 8 channel unit has preamps and they're probably fine... you can use your 2 effective channels for tracking purposes in whatever way you choose, e.g. vocals hard L, 3 channel mono drum mix hard R, etc.

Me, I'd try to get used to using the 8 track interface as intended. A little EQ and compression ITB can work wonders. If you love the sound of the MG10 use it for vox. SM 57/58s do not require phantom power, your interface should work just fine.

Good luck, have fun!
fred garvin is offline   Reply With Quote