Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #41
Nisi
Human being with feelings

Oooh all of them and more
Scarlatti is often overlooked, he was born in the same year as Bach. His 555 sonatas are wonderful...mostly single movements.
Each era has it's stand-outs but there is so much diversity in Classical music depending on the period and depending on your instrument too. Piano-wise, Mozart for lightness, Beethoven for slightly darker and heavier sound, Chopin was a genius for his melodies in my opinion, but for a good thumping you can't beat Rachmaninoff. Ravel is a nice alternative to Debussy but along the similar styles.
Nisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #42
Nisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by for View Post
so did they have the players next to them as they were composing and they were saying to them you play this....and now you play this over him and lets see if it sounds nice?

how could they hear how something sounds connected without that being multitracked

i guess one way now that i'm thinking is playing the melody and singing the other same time?

also i guess left hand...one instrument.....right hand, another instrument, and voice another?
I am convinced that aliens inhabited their bodies and minds at the time
Nisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #43
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Reaper: Is there anything it can't do?
lol
My default template that I have REAPER loading at start up contains a chain on the master fader that takes care of the active crossover and speaker delays for my multichannel monitoring which then goes into RME Totalmix FX and to the 7 channel discreet inputs on my amp. That's why I usually run all PC audio through it.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #44
RJHollins

ooo ... which raises a question I've had [and keep forgetting to ask].

Where/What do we SAVE the default loading of Reaper so that we can have 'always used' tools on every start ?

thanks
RJHollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:57 AM   #45
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
lol
My default template that I have REAPER loading at start up contains a chain on the master fader that takes care of the active crossover and speaker delays for my multichannel monitoring which then goes into RME Totalmix FX and to the 7 channel discreet inputs on my amp. That's why I usually run all PC audio through it.
Oh yeah? I have a Reaper template that on startup, mixes me a proper Old Fashioned, and then cleans the glass.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:32 AM   #46
Dannii

Quote:
Oh yeah? I have a Reaper template that on startup, mixes me a proper Old Fashioned, and then cleans the glass.
LOL
Old 02-10-2015, 01:36 AM   #47
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
ooo ... which raises a question I've had [and keep forgetting to ask].

Where/What do we SAVE the default loading of Reaper so that we can have 'always used' tools on every start ?

thanks
Set up REAPER the way you want it to be on loading then go to 'File' -> 'Project Templates' -> 'Save Project as Template'.
Make sure you take note of where you save that template.
Then go to "preferences' (Ctrl+P) -> 'Project' and under 'Project Settings' right at the top is a 'Browse' box to select the project template you just created.

Next time you load up REAPER, it should load that project template.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 AM   #48
Sambo Rouge

The beauty of music to me is the vast galaxy of styles and types(or as the posh people say: genres).

From jazz,folk,rock,r'n'b,opera,classic,blues,choral,ea sy listening, heavy metal,trance,ethnic and world music, etc. etc., and all of the sub-categories within.

What a wonderful and beautiful artform.

I would be lost without music in my life.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #49
msore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
The beauty of music to me is the vast galaxy of styles and types(or as the posh people say: genres).

From jazz,folk,rock,r'n'b,opera,classic,blues,choral,ea sy listening, heavy metal,trance,ethnic and world music, etc. etc., and all of the sub-categories within.

What a wonderful and beautiful artform.

I would be lost without music in my life.
I agree with that, except that
I am lost WITH music in my life!

There are lots of albums (vinyl and cd) that I play without noting the titles of the pieces. Even some of my favorites.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 AM   #50
musicbynumbers

Not great quality (great performance though!) but a great example of mozart at his finest. 41st!

Here's the write up too...

Woody Allen once said that Mozart's Symphony 41 proved the existence of God. Certainly, a symphony of such grandness and scale had, until the summer of 1788, never before been seen in the musical universe. Its implications for the direction of music in the future, and its influence on future composers is immeasurable. What makes Mozart's Jupiter symphony worthy to share the name of the most powerful god of the Roman world?

The answer to this question comes in the Molto Allegro, and more specifically in its coda, (8:09-8:36). In the coda, Mozart takes the five musical themes or melodies that had been developed throughout the final movement, and does something that no one has ever achieved to the extent that he did, not even the illustrious Beethoven.

What Mozart does is take these five themes and combines them to create a fugato in five-part counterpoint. That is, he takes the five melodies and simultaneously plays them in a variety of combinations and permutations. Imagine five separate melodies, all with their own notes, being played simultaneously, but each constantly changing. It's impossible for the human ear to focus on the enormous amount of notes that this simultaneous playing and constant changing entails. The effect is that the music seems to encompass an infinite amount of sound. With lesser two or three-part fugues, it is occasionally possible to sense everything that is going on. Once you get to four voices, it's nearly impossible to detect all of the nuances of the melodies. With five, well, only God could completely grasp its profundity.

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 02-10-2015 at 11:51 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #51
musicbynumbers

Also don't forget Rachmaninov!

Also, one of my favourite Mendelssohn pieces with an insane visual representation of it! He wrote this at a crazy young age too (14 I think)

Old 02-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #52
jerome_oneil

Yer Youtubin' sucks!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #53
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Yer Youtubin' sucks!
Sorted now Not actually linked a youtube before but all good now
Old 02-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #54
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
What Mozart does is take these five themes and combines them to create a fugato in five-part counterpoint. That is, he takes the five melodies and simultaneously plays them in a variety of combinations and permutations.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 AM   #55
Dannii

Quote:
Ha! Amadeus. Classic line that one.
Somebody recently told me that one of the tracks on my latest instrumental album had too many notes and I was only using two part counterpoint!! I thought of Mozart and took it as a compliment!!