Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 07-07-2019, 11:31 AM   #1
Fabian
Human being with feelings

Default Issues with mixing video with different frame rates...?

Is there a (known) issue with having videos with different frame rates in the same project?

I am just now working on a video with live scenes from a video with source properties: 920x1080, h264, 29.97fps, mixing this with city scenes filmed at: 640x360, h264, 30.00fps.

My problem is that when playing the project, the video window is blacked out for a short while when switching between cuts from the two videos. This does not show up in the rendered output, there switching between the scenes looks as expected.

But the blackening out issue makes it a pain to adjust the clips so that they fit with the audio. So, is this a framerate issue? Maybe an issue with different video sizes? Is there any setting for this somewhere?

The project is set to 30 fps. There is no preferred size set, but the rendered output appears at 568x320, h264, 30.00fps.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Fabian

OK, so it seems that I am alone with this problem...

And to repeat, the problem is that when switching between video snippets on different tracks, Reaper briefly blacks out the video window. This does not appear as such in the rendered output, but it makes it a pain to adjust the position of the video snippets when editing.

Any hints about what could be my issue are welcome.
Thanks.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:36 AM   #3
Eliseat

Did you set a project frame rate? Maybe it could help Reaper to define the frames in a better way.

Greetings
Eli
Old 07-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
Did you set a project frame rate? Maybe it could help Reaper to define the frames in a better way.

Greetings
Eli
Thanks for your response. I just checked, and yes, the project frame rate is set to 30. But checking there, I also saw that preferred size is not set, maybe that has something to do with it...

One video is size 640x360 (30 fps), the other is 1920x1080 (29.97 fps), and I noticed that when the video window is undocked, the size is changed when switching between the two videos. And this happens even when the project preferred size is set to 640x360.

This resizing does not happen when the video window is docked, which it typically is for me, as I have the docker on a second screen. Maybe switching between the two video sizes is too taxing on Reaper (or the VLC decoder)? I'll see what happens if I reformat the large video to smaller size.

Is it possible to resize the video in Reaper? Or do I have to use VLC?

Thanks,
Old 07-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #5
SonicAxiom

from all I've tried, bringing all videos to a common frame rate and x/y dimensions prior to editing helps avoiding issues despite the additional encoding pass and the time it takes.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:13 AM   #6
Eliseat

Found this in the new dev description.

Quote:
+ LTC generator: fix 29.97DF timecode drift
+ LTC generator: fix glitch when starting timecode mid-frame
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=222967

Could this be a hint to your problem?

But I have to confess that it seems weird, that the video window resizes only in floating mode. That would mean it handles two different video sizes completely different depending on how the window is placed. In my opinion this is then a bug.

To resize videos you have several options. VLC, ffmpeg, handbrake etc. You even could use the video processor in Reaper to zoom it out on the fly, but it wouldn't reduce the cpu consumption. Actually it even would increase.
The problem with resizing the resolution is the loss in quality if you make a re-encode. So if you use handbrake you have to make sure, that the new codec is h264 with a high bitrate which is in my opinion the best compromise in size and quality.
I'm not sure if ffmpeg can change the resolution without re-encoding. Theoretically this could work if the new size isn't an odd number. But maybe some of the video geeks can help you out better with information. Or google. Better use DuckDuckgo!

Greetings
Eli
Old 07-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Fabian

Thanks guys. I'm done with this particular video now, but for the next one I'll definitely set things up with common frame rate and size, even if it means re-encoding with the quality loss and all. Hopefully that improves things.

As for Reaper resizing the video, yes, it resizes the video window when this window is undocked, but not when it is docked. When displaying the video in the docked video window, the size is fixed for all the different video sippets.

And I'll be sure to use DuckDuckGo next time I "google"