Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Lowell Mather 5150
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper V6 Default Theme Likes/Dislikes

What do you like, what makes your skin crawl?

1. What is with the weird font selection for the Mute/Solo buttons?

2. Not crazy about the SD Card/Monopoly Hotel FX Button and the FX button color scheme (ditto for the Input FX - can we let go of the arrows already?)

3. Hey, I like boobs just as much as the next guy but...

Why are the play and record buttons out of touch with the rest of the transport & the theme?

4. That slash sd card send return button needs to go.

I really like the overall vibe of the theme except for the colored TCP - think it should mirror the MCP in that regard, or at least give us the option. Also dig the theme adjuster and hopefully it can expand (within reason). I'm not sure about all of the empty space on the transport - was that done to accommodate toolbars or? The dimming option in the theme adjuster is pretty cool. Seems most of the layouts have a great clarity to them that really pops - think those bigger layouts will be great for some visually impaired users as well.

Last edited by Lowell Mather 5150; 12-03-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
knowledgeofself

I do appreciate the direction towards a more modern visual take but I agree that the transport doesn't meld well with the overall theme.

Plus, the toolbar icons... Dang, no one thinks green and red isn't really a good combo? Like, it's holiday season-colored all year round? Wish they included the icons in the Theme Adjuster where everything is plain white but glows a certain color (user choice) when activated.
knowledgeofself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:40 AM   #3
Breeder

This is one of the best themes out there and I really love it. Only one thing bothers me and that's how it gets custom colors so bright and while theme adjuster can be used to dim them, it can't be used to brighten them back again for usage in other themes
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #4
g4greg

I quite like the new theme. I have been using Lampshade's themes for the longest time because I couldn't get used to the v5 theme, but this one just works with my brainwaves.

I think I'll stick with it for a while..

Then again, what I tend to find neat and organized usually comes off as extremely messy to the ones around me
Old 12-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #5
zeekat

I assume it's different enough old 3.x themes won't fly anymore?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 AM   #6
orabidoo

In my opinion, depriving a simple user of choosing whether or not to dye the tcp in the default theme is absolutely wrong, even more so with a dark theme. Projects with colored TCP panels are a punch to the eyes, lacking in elegance. For the rest on a normal monitor (I have a 23 ') 1920x1080 the distribution of spaces and the visibility of as much information as possible on a screen has worsened compared to version 5.
orabidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 AM   #7
Ivo Sedlacek

Interesting, why do I see basically nothing when I switch to 6.0 default scheme in the track panel on Mac ? Just recording button and the rest empty. Switching back to default 5.0 - everything back there ...
Ivo Sedlacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:39 AM   #8
synkrotron

Apart from some slightly altered icons everything looks the same to me with the theme I use, which is an ever so slightly tweaked V5 default.

I could try the new default but not sure if I want to bother seeing as I am happy with what I have.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:11 AM   #9
sightlessness

I quite like it, I mostly don't have issues with it. And have been using it for a month or so.

I quite like the tinting myself.
M/S buttons is something I am not fond of, they are so lost in the overall layout, specially in the TCP, if I don't pay attention I don't know where they are right away.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:26 AM   #10
lowellben

It's both a big step in the wrong direction and also not that big of a step in the right direction. Sorry. Perhaps down the line it'll improve though.
People should be allowed to express negative opinions here without fear of censorship.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:41 AM   #11
Skijumptoes

Best default theme yet for me, well thought out, dynamic, functional and makes REAPER much more appealing out of the box. Great work and I like the clear colour indicators on the routing icons so you can see if sends are setup etc.

Only wish is that the monitor button is displayed by default, as I like to monitor without recording whilst recording other tracks. but I’m sure I can tweak that.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo Sedlacek View Post
Interesting, why do I see basically nothing when I switch to 6.0 default scheme in the track panel on Mac ? Just recording button and the rest empty. Switching back to default 5.0 - everything back there ...
By default, certain controls are hidden unless a track is selected. You can change this if you don't like it.

The quick intro guide will help you.

https://www.reaper.fm/userguide/R600up005.pdf
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #13
ernzo

Just bought a License because Reaper is the Best, and I depend on it..

However I must say while the new v6 Theme is Great, and a clear step forward,
it's still too Green for my taste (yuck!), or any Serious usage..

All I would want to see is exactly the same Theme but done with the wonderful "Default Analog 1.8" Color Palette..
https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/963/De...0Analog%20v1.8

That's all.

-All I could say about this new theme is:
I like the Buttons, specially the Faders,
but I think both the TCP Record and Pan buttons are just too big (a bit childish)

And I must say while the contrast is good, there is some imbalance in the way things are highlighted;
for instance, the Pan buttons stand out too much in comparison with other elements, specially the Stems themselves.

The Font and everything looks good in a standard 1366*768 screen.

And.. that's pretty much it!

-I would say this is a nice step forward,
the Performance improvements are noticeable, and very Welcome.

It just.. that Green color is No Good, and so much of it sucks.. lol

Just give us an Analog-Lerian type version of this V6 Theme,
and bring the program one step closer to Perfection!

Last edited by ernzo; 12-04-2019 at 06:04 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:30 AM   #14
net147

The label for media items that are unselected and muted are unreadable in Reaper V6 theme - it shows as dark grey text on dark grey background...
net147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
fuseburn

The new v6 default theme is the most beautiful and well-thought since v3 default theme. I gave it a proper chance and I love the new Theme Adjuster !

However, I somehow can't get it to stack 4 layers of tracks in the mixer panel. It always stops with 3 layers and prevents me from seeing 128 tracks on one view on 1920x1080 (really huuuge projects here). So that's why I'm back on the v3 default skin which can handle that beautifully. Global interface scaling is on 0.8 here btw.

Anyway: Great great job on the new theme !
Old 12-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #16
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
It's both a big step in the wrong direction and also not that big of a step in the right direction. Sorry. Perhaps down the line it'll improve though.
People should be allowed to express negative opinions here without fear of censorship.
That's not helpful without further explanation. Could you expand on the nature of your issues with the latest theme?

Personally I find this new default 6 theme to be my new favourite (given my use of dual screen and how the 150% size elements make this work with a smaller 21:9 screen as the mixer display, unlike any other theme I have tried), but happy to hear suggestion on how it could be tweaked to improve it.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:29 AM   #17
Retronian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo Sedlacek View Post
Same here (PC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
By default, certain controls are hidden unless a track is selected.
Selecting or resizing a track didn't change anything out of the box for me (maybe because it isn't a fresh install?). Had to change it in the theme adjuster first. But I am also back to 5.x theme which luckily is possible. The new theme feels kinda cluttered and unfinished compared to 5.x, but maybe I am just too used to the the old look...

Last edited by Retronian; 12-04-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Retronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #18
himalaya

It's the first time I'm seeing the new theme.

First impressions: very good, clear, mature design. There are some really nice graphic elements.

A couple negatives:

1. the lack of button outlines for toolbar icons makes these seem disconnected and suspended mid-air.

2. The routing button has these lines at an angle which do my head in. I'm constantly looking at them wanting to make them straight. They draw attention for the wrong reason. I wish the lines were vertical or had dome other routing symbol. Also, this button seems to be out of place with the rest. The left side does not align with the left side of the SOLO button above (in the mixer). It looks badly designed here.
Attached Images
File Type: png Toolbar icons without button outlines.png (9.1 KB, 555 views)
File Type: png Routing button sideways lines are distrating.png (14.9 KB, 504 views)
himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #19
Lowell Mather 5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by orabidoo View Post
In my opinion, depriving a simple user of choosing whether or not to dye the tcp in the default theme is absolutely wrong, even more so with a dark theme. Projects with colored TCP panels are a punch to the eyes, lacking in elegance. For the rest on a normal monitor (I have a 23 ') 1920x1080 the distribution of spaces and the visibility of as much information as possible on a screen has worsened compared to version 5.
Agreed. That would have been a major plus - game changer even - as far as I'm concerned if that could have been implemented in the Theme Adjuster.
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #20
Delucci

We still cant get tint track background, too bad..
Delucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #21
Archimedes

Skin crawl?

The incomplete implementation of the "Theme Adjuster". It doesn't adjust any ole' theme - it is only enabled when you've selected the Default theme for 6.0. It doesn't work (unless I'm missing something) for V5.0, V4.0, Classic, or any theme I customize through a text editor. There are also duplicate instances of the *.ReaperThemeZip files - those in C:\users\...\AppDat\Roaming\Reaper\ColorThemes and those in C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\InstallData\ColorThemes. Why? What is the point of having the same config file in 2 different places, and which one am I supposed to be altering if I have to stop making music and fiddle with Reaper configurations by unpacking files and modifying through a text editor?

Even in the case of using Theme Adjuster for the default V6 theme, it is extremely limited in what attributes you can adjust.

The Theme Adjuster is a good idea, barely implemented beyond a "limited proof of concept" level of maturity. It makes my skin crawl because I use Reaper to make music - not to spend hours trying to configure my tools.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #22
ANDYZ

not in my taste at all

its good it has tweaker now
ANDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #23
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
Skin crawl?

The incomplete implementation of the "Theme Adjuster". It doesn't adjust any ole' theme - it is only enabled when you've selected the Default theme for 6.0.
The theme adjuster is specifically written for the v6 theme. It shouldn't be expected to work for anything else, though it should definitely say that somewhere.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #24
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delucci View Post
We still cant get tint track background, too bad..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
The theme adjuster is specifically written for the v6 theme. It shouldn't be expected to work for anything else, though it should definitely say that somewhere.
@Lokasenna

Lok, do you think you could nitpick this theme for us so we can enjoy the tint-free option from the v5 nitpick??
Old 12-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #25
EricTbone

Default Very poorly designed UX

tl;dr: Some improvements over 5, but overall a step back.

1. Conditionally hiding elements (e.g. hiding input controls on unarmed tracks) reduces visual clutter.
  2. Full-height highlight of selected track in mixer panel, so you can see which tracks are selected even when using track colors. Few themes do this and all should.
  3. Love the new flat toolbar icons

Dislikes
  1. !! Arming a track shifts track controls, so controls are no longer aligned, no longer in their expected position, sometimes forcing other controls to wrap. It's both an aesthetic and functional deficit.
  2. !! Folder tracks misalign their controls.
  3. Routing indicators look like background art, especially since they have text over them (o.O).
  4. Route, FX, and trim icons are visually busier, which puts back much of the visual clutter that conditional hiding took away.
  5. Route, FX, and trim icons are bigger, which makes them much less space-efficient.

#1 can be mitigated by the turning off conditional hiding of the monitor icon. Edit: Apparently so can #2.

In the beta, there was an even bigger problem, where simply selecting a track would cause all of its controls to shift in the mixer view, which also shortened the fader, so side-by-side channels both at unity gain would have different fader thumb positions!

Here's the same information presented two different ways. Which makes it easier to drag routing or FX from one channel to another, or to make some volume/pan edits to a few neighboring channels?

Last edited by EricTbone; 12-04-2019 at 03:30 PM.
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #26
lowellben

Transport bar is hilariously out of proportion, especially in large monitors. It should be aligned to the left (or at least an option of left or right). But stretching it out over a huge monitor? Nope. Not for me. I have pro work to do here

Is there a way to condense the space that the transport bar takes up? Right now it's a comical amount of wasted space stretching from the exact pixel-perfect upper left corner to upper right corner of my massive monitor. The rate control is buried up there and I have to travel a large distance to access basic features. Can this transport be "un justified" please? Like a left align controls?

It's cleaner to have blank space on right side vs. all over the transport in small pockets. Please?
Even scrolling to see this image in full shows you a preview of how annoying it can be to travel your mouse all over the huge transport spread out!

And no, center transport controls doesn't solve this It just changes what contents are at the extreme lefts and rights.

Thank you!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #27
Magicbuss

FYI You can align all the controls when using folder tracks by using the theme adjuster.
Magicbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #28
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Lok, do you think you could nitpick this theme for us so we can enjoy the tint-free option from the v5 nitpick??
A couple of months ago I would have said yes, but now... I don't even know if I'll bother upgrading to v6, and if I do I'll probably stick with my personal mod of Nitpicky.

That said, enabling the tint options is a one-line change, so if I get bored on the weekend we'll see.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #29
lowellben

Quote:
A couple of months ago I would have said yes, but now... I don't even know if I'll bother upgrading to v6, and if I do I'll probably stick with my personal mod of Nitpicky.

That said, enabling the tint options is a one-line change, so if I get bored on the weekend we'll see.
I understand your feelings How much do I have to pay you. Name it.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #30
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuseburn View Post
The new v6 default theme is the most beautiful and well-thought since v3 default theme.
I still use V3 and love the theme !

Will the V3 theme work with V6 ?
If so would it loose much functionality, and would those functions still be accessible under the hood ?

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #31
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
I still use V3 and love the theme !

Will the V3 theme work with V6 ?
If so would it loose much functionality, and would those functions still be accessible under the hood ?

Cheers
I think everything should work, but there will be newer features that your theme doesn't have colors/images for so those parts will look... broken.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:34 PM   #32
karbomusic

Quote:
I don't even know if I'll bother upgrading to v6.
Same here and after 10 years, it's something I never thought I'd say. I've been customer facing in various forms for 35 years (yea I'm old but don't feel old) and sometimes it isn't the problem as much as is how it is handled.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #33
EricTbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Quote:
I don't even know if I'll bother upgrading to v6
Same here and after 10 years, it's something I never thought I'd say.
What gives? What did I miss?
EricTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:43 PM   #34
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Personally I find this new default 6 theme to be my new favourite
Same.

I've tried lots of themes, but always ended up back with default V5, tweaked to be darker. It just has the clearest layout and best use of real estate. It might not look sexy, but it is easy to work with.

V6 default (after darkening region/track manager etc.) is a bit better again. I'm also enjoying tracks actually being the colour I choose, too. MCP border around folders without indent makes everything easy to scan... I'm even getting used to the routing button, which I didn't like the look of at first.

It's a thumbs up from me.

The faux 3D on certain knobs looks incongruous, but it doesn't bother me. I can see how the transport could be annoying for people who use a mouse to control it. Looking forward to seeing how people mod it, but I'm more than happy using it as is.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #35
EvilDragon

IMHO the theme is a complete failure, but nevermind that. There is not enough contrast (and again some things jump out at you too much with the rest of the theme being dark), the mix of faux 3D with flat is as appalling as it was in R5 theme, the I/O button makes no sense at all and is too hard to parse at a glance, everything EricTbone said, the green background on various dialogs is offputting, especially in MIDI editor... The list goes on. It looks messy and unprofessional, overall. Probably the worst thing WT ever did, sorry WT but take it like a man.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #36
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
the I/O button makes no sense at all and is too hard to parse at a glance
After a couple of mixes I'm finding it pretty easy to parse at a glance in the MCP. Hadn't even looked at it in the TCP, but just did and having "Route" written over it kinda ruins that.

Good job I never use the TCP controls...
Old 12-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #37
Lokasenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTbone View Post
What gives? What did I miss?
TL;DR:
- Adding incomplete new features while significant issues still remain from ten years ago with no sign of ever being fixed.
- A default theme with useability problems that have been repeatedly brought up only to be told "no, you're wrong, it's fine" with no room for discussion.
- Jumping v6 straight to "release candidate" and rushing it out the door with known bugs and a theme that isn't even finished.

6 doesn't really offer anything for me, and if I buy a new license it's pretty much just going to be so I can make sure my scripts don't break.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #38
Judders

Quote:
...sometimes it isn't the problem as much as is how it is handled.
Wow, just saw that.

I mean, if someone has time to be sarcastic, they have time to help.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #39
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Wow, just saw that.

I mean, if someone has time to be sarcastic, they have time to help.
It's not the first time, with me or others, I'd never become as annoyed as I am now for a one-off bad day.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #40
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
IMHO the theme is a complete failure, but nevermind that. There is not enough contrast (and again some things jump out at you too much with the rest of the theme being dark), the mix of faux 3D with flat is as appalling as it was in R5 theme, the I/O button makes no sense at all and is too hard to parse at a glance, everything EricTbone said, the green background on various dialogs is offputting, especially in MIDI editor... The list goes on. It looks messy and unprofessional, overall. Probably the worst thing WT ever did, sorry WT but take it like a man.
I absolutely LOVED his earlier work that Imperial was legendary! But the default 6 theme is very weak by comparison. I wished for more. I love Reaper!!

Quote:
It's not the first time, with me or others, I'd never become as annoyed as I am now for a one-off bad day.
Yup