Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 02:52 PM   #41
SaulT
Human being with feelings

Cryosleep is dope!

Quote:
An alternative to that, I guess, is having a four minute track to merge nicely into the next three/four minute track, in a concept kind of way...
This happens in other genres. There have been a few metal albums I've listened to where the artists have deliberately matched up songs to flow almost seamlessly from one song to the next.

I have to say that I do like the idea... not that it all has to blend smoothly together, but that it be at least consistent. I drive a lot - I like listening to albums and collections of songs rather than a series of singles. Keep the mood going and all that.
SaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #42
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendir View Post
Sorry about sounding defensive here, but did you even listen to the tracks I posted?
Sorry, just re-reading my post - it does come across a certain way. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way - I didn't intend it to make you feel that way so apologies there. Yes, I did listen through to a few of them. My whole musical upbringing (self discovered at around age 7 btw - I totally rejected my dads music which was Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison lol) was John Foxx, Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, TD, various other Krautrock bands - so the thing is I've heard 1000's of tracks over the last 30 years or so in these styles. Sorry if the post came across a bit jaded.

I'm listening to both the new tracks you posted now. To me Alien Sunrise is the much better idea - it references old and sounds kinda new as well - a bit like Boards Of Canadas stuff on their latest album - like it a lot Shinjuku didn't really grab me much - would work as cinematic but perhaps not for listening only for me personally.

Kowloon is pretty great actually - see now that one, to me, has nice unique and fresh sounding ideas in it - it totally grabs me. A really great mix could lift this one into the stratosphere - melody/arrangement and overall feel it has is really very good. Netrun's good too. Fuck, I really didn't listen properly before did I... Red Star Orbit's a keeper too - I'm a sucker for droney resonant sci-fi engine noise type sounds. The ones I haven't mentioned (I've listened through all of them now) were the ones that I felt were not as strong.

What I will say is some of it does come across a bit Vangelis copyist but then it's kind of unavoidable in this genre.

I'm listening to Kowloon again - that one is awesome - very evocative with a strong melody - love it.

Steve Roach - the guys done over 100 albums!! He varies from beatless ambient drone stuff through to almost cheesy TD style stuff. He's not everyones cuppa (I don't like everything he's done) but it is varied.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #43
foxAsteria

I like it! I also do atmospheric electronic music, but a tad darker, denser and beat-heavy. Lemme know if you wanna try a collab sometime.

https://soundcloud.com/foxasteria/se...mystery-school (gotten somewhat better at mixing since i did these, but i'm currently remixing them)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #44
cerendir

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaulT View Post
Cryosleep is dope!
Thanks SaulT! Cryosleep is my favorite too so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Sorry, just re-reading my post - it does come across a certain way. Sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way - I didn't intend it to make you feel that way so apologies there. Yes, I did listen through to a few of them. My whole musical upbringing (self discovered at around age 7 btw - I totally rejected my dads music which was Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison lol) was John Foxx, Jarre, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, TD, various other Krautrock bands - so the thing is I've heard 1000's of tracks over the last 30 years or so in these styles. Sorry if the post came across a bit jaded.
Hey, no problem bladerunner. I was in an awful mood that day so I probably overreacted to your post anyway. I definitely see your point and I would likely have said something similar if I heard someone trying their hands at a style that I've been listening too for 30 years.

Quote:
I'm listening to both the new tracks you posted now. To me Alien Sunrise is the much better idea - it references old and sounds kinda new as well - a bit like Boards Of Canadas stuff on their latest album - like it a lot Shinjuku didn't really grab me much - would work as cinematic but perhaps not for listening only for me personally.
Really glad to hear your perspective on this, as personally I much prefer the cinematic styled tunes. Read on

Quote:
Kowloon is pretty great actually - see now that one, to me, has nice unique and fresh sounding ideas in it - it totally grabs me. A really great mix could lift this one into the stratosphere - melody/arrangement and overall feel it has is really very good.
Thanks! Wow, I wasn't even sure I was going to keep working on that one because it sounded... I dunno, too polite and eighties pop and not really fitting for the futuristic theme?

Quote:
Netrun's good too. Fuck, I really didn't listen properly before did I... Red Star Orbit's a keeper too - I'm a sucker for droney resonant sci-fi engine noise type sounds. The ones I haven't mentioned (I've listened through all of them now) were the ones that I felt were not as strong.
Funny that you mention Netrun. That was an attempt at writing something more uptempo and less poppy-sounding but to me it sounds like some sort of bastardized nineties techno and I'm not really sure where to go with it.

Quote:
What I will say is some of it does come across a bit Vangelis copyist but then it's kind of unavoidable in this genre.
Yes, you're probably right. Vangelis is also pretty much my only influence in this style (though when I listen to the tunes, I hear Peter Gabriel, Marillion and even a bit of eighties Rush -- not sure if anyone else will detect this).

Quote:
Steve Roach - the guys done over 100 albums!! He varies from beatless ambient drone stuff through to almost cheesy TD style stuff. He's not everyones cuppa (I don't like everything he's done) but it is varied.
I really need to check out more of his stuff. Like I said, the tracks I listened to didn't strike me as particularly interesting, but I guess there's a ton more to choose from then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
I like it! I also do atmospheric electronic music, but a tad darker, denser and beat-heavy. Lemme know if you wanna try a collab sometime.
Thanks foxAsteria! Followed you on soundcloud. I'd love to do a collab at some point.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #45
GalacticDeath

Nice man I really dig it. I've also been experimenting with some 80's sounding synths. You said you use a lot of freeware. Can you point me in the right direction as to what vst's are good for this style? I'm currently using SQ8L which is modeled after Ensoiq SQ-80
GalacticDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:21 PM   #46
Petrosfera

I'm with the crowd Mattias. These are AWESOME! Very few times do I listen to something on SoundCloud that really grabs me, and these did. Mixing sounds great also.

I wonder why I wasn't following you already... oh well that's fixed now

Keep on going!
Petrosfera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #47
cerendir

Sorry guys, I've completely missed your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticDeath View Post
Nice man I really dig it. I've also been experimenting with some 80's sounding synths. You said you use a lot of freeware. Can you point me in the right direction as to what vst's are good for this style? I'm currently using SQ8L which is modeled after Ensoiq SQ-80
I think the three most used synths in these tunes are Tyrell N6, Dune CM and SynthMaster Player (paid version with additional presets though). But I've also used Synth1, Zebralette, Alchemy Player, OBXD, Free Alpha, The Deputy, MauSynth and others I can't remember from the top of my head. I think all songs started with me browsing through the presets on one synth or another, and when I found something that inspired me everything just sort of took off from there. SQ8L could work great, it's definitely retro, but as it is 32 bit I have opted not to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrosfera View Post
I'm with the crowd Mattias. These are AWESOME! Very few times do I listen to something on SoundCloud that really grabs me, and these did. Mixing sounds great also.

I wonder why I wasn't following you already... oh well that's fixed now

Keep on going!
Thank you Petrosfera, and thanks for the follow!

If anyone's wondering what's going on with this project: I have a couple more tracks in the works, but life's been hectic lately so I haven't had the time and energy to make any real headway.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:21 PM   #48
BlackComedySociety

Default Amazing!!

Holy Shit these are amazing!

I wanted to ask if I could use some of these as a background music to a youtube video I am making. I will give you full credit as well as a hyper link to your soundcloud, or another site if you desire. If the video goes viral you will get a lot of free publicity. It's your say, but I think we could help each other out.
BlackComedySociety is offline   Reply With Quote