Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-03-2024, 02:25 PM   #1
ndjoslin
Human being with feelings

Default Sample rate issues causing Reaper to be slow and buggy.

I've had this issue for a while, and I haven't found a solution to fix it for good. When I start up Reaper with my UMC404HD plugged in, Reaper starts getting buggy, slow, and stops responding to my input.

The only way to fix this issue has been to do the following procedure:

1) Unplug interface

2) Click Reaper -> Settings -> Audio -> Device -> check/uncheck "Allow projects to override device sample rate" -> Apply -> OK

3) Plug interface back in

This procedure has always worked, but I'm really tired of having to do this every time I want to record mics/instruments into Reaper. What is the solution to fix this annoying issue with the sample rates?

I tried to get help on the reaper subreddit, but I was told that the issue is with my Mac. I went to the Behringer site, but all of the drivers are for Windows computers. There are none available for MacOS.
https://www.behringer.com/downloads.html

The interface worked flawlessly for a long time with my computer and never gave me these kinds of issues. I don't know what changed, but one day, I had started having this problem, and it's persisted until present day.

I went to Audio Midi Setup on my mac. The UMC404HD is set to "2 ch 16-bit Integer 48.0 kHz"

The MacBook speakers are set to 48000Hz 2 ch 32-bit float, and the MacBook microphone is set to 48000Hz 1 ch 32-bit float. I don't see why either would matter since I don't use the microphone or speakers for recording. However, I have a feeling that's not where the problem is.

Is there a solution, or am I doomed to have to go through the procedure I outlined above every time I open reaper while using my UMC404HD?

Thank you all in advance for any help. I've tried the Reaper subreddit and the compatibility forum, and I haven't found a resolution to this problem. I'm just a little frustrated and discouraged right now.
ndjoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 04:37 PM   #2
7enz

in preferences/audio/device
ensure the tick box request samplerate is set to the correct sample rate... and that it is ticked

another thing you could check... are the sample rates of the recorded items that you are using in your project are they all 48000 or 44100? or a mix and match of both throughout

it interesting the playback should be choppy on first load of a project... also check if any plugins on the monitorFX... untick all monitorFX to eliminate them from being the problem... then reload your project and test the issue again

Last edited by 7enz; 02-03-2024 at 04:53 PM.
7enz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 09:30 PM   #3
ndjoslin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enz View Post
in preferences/audio/device
ensure the tick box request samplerate is set to the correct sample rate... and that it is ticked

another thing you could check... are the sample rates of the recorded items that you are using in your project are they all 48000 or 44100? or a mix and match of both throughout

it interesting the playback should be choppy on first load of a project... also check if any plugins on the monitorFX... untick all monitorFX to eliminate them from being the problem... then reload your project and test the issue again
Thank you for responding.

The projects I'm working in are all set to 48000 Hz. However, I don't know how to check to see what the sample rates of the individual tracks are. I did uncheck all of the FXs, saved, and closed the project, but the issue persisted, unfortunately.
ndjoslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:14 PM   #4
vdubreeze

You can highlight an item of the audio and check Item Properties and go to the bottom and click the Properties button and it will tell you the audio's rate. But if the audio is not the same rate as the project is set for you'll see a little icon (IIRC a light blue i) and if you see it and mouse down on it it will say "Resampled from xyz", so that also is a clue that audio is different from the project rate.