Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 07-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Dstruct
Human being with feelings

Default Independent ASIO channel configuration

It would be great to have independent ASIO channel configuration! Say I wanna use output channels

HDSP9632 SPDIF L
HDSP9632 SPDIF R

and

HDSP9632 ADAT 7
HDSP9632 ADAT 8

together, but NOT the channels inbetween (HDSP9632 ADAT 1 to 6). I need these channels untouched for other applications!
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
kejkz

Yes, indeed there are situations when you need this feature. Big + from me...

Cheers
kejkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Jim Roseberry

I agree

+1
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Dstruct

justin, can we expect this for the final 1.0?
Old 08-25-2006, 01:55 AM   #5
Dstruct

can someone move this to the feature request folder? thanks!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
WyattRice

2010 bump.

I would like a way to set the default outputs on the master, so that every time I open Reaper, I don't have to delete e.g. analog 1-2, and replace it with digital 7-8, but still allow all the outputs be seen on the master, and tracks io buttons. I know the work around is a template, but when sending and receiving RPP files with others, it would be easier.
Thanks, Wyatt
Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
WyattRice

Maybe something like this.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Dstruct

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattRice View Post
Maybe something like this.

Doesn't look good to me. Why just stereo pairs?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
WyattRice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dstruct View Post
Doesn't look good to me. Why just stereo pairs?
Well, just an example of what the matrix could be like. The screen shot I took from Samplitude , but you get the basic ideal.

Last edited by WyattRice; 09-28-2010 at 08:03 PM.
WyattRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
Dstruct

That's right.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #11
zappazapper

Default Individual Ins and Outs instead of ranges in Audio Device Settings

in the audio device settings, we have the ability to choose ranges of inputs and outputs... this has worked for me just fine until now, but...

i recently got a tip here on the forum about how a single multi-channel audio file writes more efficiently than multiple individual files... the idea is that the drive has to jump around to write individual files while it would write a single file in a more linear way, only jumping around to avoid data already written on the drive (if anybody wants to dispute that or expand on how that works, i'd be interested)...

not only am i interested in the possible benefits to performance but it seems to be a cleaner way of storing recordings: whether a session is 2 tracks or 48 tracks, all the audio would be stored in a single file, and because of the excellent way in which REAPER handles routing and items, workflow essentially remains the same... for example, "Script: gen_Explode multi-channel Audio (Non-destructive).lua" automatically creates items of the same size and offset, and in Item Properties, under Take Properties, using Channel Mode, it selects single channels from that root multi-channel file for that item, and that item becomes independent from the other channels in the multi-channel file and can be modified in the same way that a single file item can... of course you could manually create items in a more customized way, or you could also just use routing to split off tracks from the main multi-channel track if editing was unnecessary...

now, the way multi-channel audio in REAPER is recorded is to increase the number of "Track Channels" of a track, and select the range of channels you want to use in the input menu...

i can start to see cases where both the input ranges in Audio Device Settings in Properties and the way input channels are assigned to tracks in ranges could start to become a problem for anyone who wants to record multi-channel files like this... it might force someone to record files with more channels than they actually need because there's no way to disable a channel within a range... it could be that someone has a long-standing and not easily changed way of routing various preamps, etc., to their interface... it could be that they have dead channels on their interface, smack dab in the middle of channels that work and are used...

is there a benefit to input ranges beyond simplicity and ease of programming, or is it time to improve this aspect of REAPER?
zappazapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
is there a benefit to input ranges beyond simplicity and ease of programming, or is it time to improve this aspect of REAPER?
Greetingzalingz-- yea well tbh having more inputs would make sense for some,not others... bands and multitrack recording artists yes-- 1player 1 instrument,not so much..
It's not so much a fault or problem of or for reaper--it's interface manufacturers that offer certain amounts for certain prices...not 1 size fits all... eh?
Your looking at trying to increase a physical-but that's really down to interface purchase choices.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #13
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
Greetingzalingz-- yea well tbh having more inputs would make sense for some,not others... bands and multitrack recording artists yes-- 1player 1 instrument,not so much..
It's not so much a fault or problem of or for reaper--it's interface manufacturers that offer certain amounts for certain prices...not 1 size fits all... eh?
Your looking at trying to increase a physical-but that's really down to interface purchase choices.
i don't think you understand my question... i have an interface with 18 inputs... the number of inputs is not an issue... how they are enabled in preferences and how they are assigned to inputs of tracks is the issue...
Old 03-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
Bri1
Banned

Oh-right yep-i guess i did not understand the question.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
zappazapper

I see... Seems like this is pretty low on the list then...
Old 03-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #16
ivansc

You are the first person I have ever noticed mention it anywhere. Need to have a think about this. I have potential 24 ins and outs. I suppose it could be of some relevance to squeeze everything into one multi file.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 AM   #17
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
You are the first person I have ever noticed mention it anywhere. Need to have a think about this. I have potential 24 ins and outs. I suppose it could be of some relevance to squeeze everything into one multi file.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=203932

This was the original discussion it came up in... Not sure if it's the first time it's ever been mentioned but it was the first time I heard of it also...
Old 03-05-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
hamish

The original FR here is good. It's amazing really that it hasn't been added after so many years.

I think the multichannel media case is an additional, similar FR no? Although this could be a limited solution...

Last edited by hamish; 03-05-2018 at 02:47 AM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:34 AM   #19
zappazapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
The original FR here is good. It's amazing really that it hasn't been added after so many years.

I think the multichannel media case is an additional, similar FR no? Although this could be a limited solution...
Multichannel audio already exists... The issue is assigning inputs to the track...
Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
hamish

ha ha, yes I'm fully aware of multichannel audio, but I thought the reason you had bumped this thread is because you want to be able to select non-contiguous channels from your I/O.

As I said above, this FR of allowing us to select arbitrary channels of I/O from our device would partly allow us to create multichannel audio from non-contiguous I/O channels.

Example, on my RME fireface I have 4 preamps, and then on ADAT I have 8 preamps. Say I want to record drums from these 12 preamps, well as it is now I would have to record a 14 channel item with 2 blank channels where my AES/EBU channels are, because I can only select from Analog 9 - ADAT 8, and that includes the AES/EBU pair, so 14 CH when I'm only wanting 12.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
zappazapper

Quote:
ha ha, yes I'm fully aware of multichannel audio, but I thought the reason you had bumped this thread is because you want to be able to select non-contiguous channels from your I/O.

As I said above, this FR of allowing us to select arbitrary channels of I/O from our device would partly allow us to create multichannel audio from non-contiguous I/O channels.

Example, on my RME fireface I have 4 preamps, and then on ADAT I have 8 preamps. Say I want to record drums from these 12 preamps, well as it is now I would have to record a 14 channel item with 2 blank channels where my AES/EBU channels are, because I can only select from Analog 9 - ADAT 8, and that includes the AES/EBU pair, so 14 CH when I'm only wanting 12.
I didn't bump it, someone combined the original thread from 2006 with mine...

Sorry for the misunderstanding... Yes, both the device settings and the way in which inputs (and outputs I guess) are assigned to tracks both need to be modified to allow, as you say, non-contiguous combinations of inputs for a track and, therefore, proper workflow for recording multichannel audio...

Come to think of it, the options for number of "track channels" for each track should probably be expanded to allow any whole number value from 1-64 also... For example, in my own upcoming project, I plan to record 18 inputs to one file, but the file will have to be 20 channels because there is no option to select 18... In some sense it defeats the purpose of working this way if disk space is used up unnecessarily or if it's necessary to use a combination of multichannel tracks of varying channel counts to get the desired total channels...
Old 03-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #22
hamish

Yes, you've got it. The original FR here was for the device setup page, and that's fine, but it would be great to also be able to select arbitrary inputs per track.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
zappazapper

Quote:
Yes, you've got it. The original FR here was for the device setup page, and that's fine, but it would be great to also be able to select arbitrary inputs per track.
Agreed... Ok, who do we bribe?
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #24
zappazapper

So does anybody ever tell you whether your request is a thing or not?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 PM   #25
hamish

Just keep checking the latest version. It all goes in the changelog, threads only get updated by conscientious users.

Keep your eye on the pre-releases, if you see anything related being worked on (requires some 'under the hood' knowledge) then bump this. I've seen it done occasionally it works..
Old 03-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #26
zappazapper

Quote:
Just keep checking the latest version. It all goes in the changelog, threads only get updated by conscientious users.

Keep your eye on the pre-releases, if you see anything related being worked on (requires some 'under the hood' knowledge) then bump this. I've seen it done occasionally it works..
K well another question... Is there another DAW that can record multichannel WAV files that has a more flexible input selection system? I would still use REAPER for everything else, it's just that the way my interface's driver orders channels, my options are to have about 10 dead channels in the multichannel file, or use ASIO4ALL, which throws the order off completely, so even though the file would have the right number of channels, the order of them would be all over the place... I'd rather just stay away from ASIO4ALL altogether anyway...

I'm starting to think this multichannel thing is more trouble than it's worth until this gets fixed...
Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 PM   #27
raiirock

+1
Ranges are Good, but individual Ins and outs would be better.
raiirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #28
hamish

Yeah, I don't reckon many other daws would record multichannel media.

Meanwhile, here is one possible workaround in REAPER:

- create individual tracks with mono recording inputs to record from the individual channels you want. set record monitor on. set record: disable (input monitoring only). record arm each track.

- create a multichannel media recording track. set desired number of channels, route each individual track to the correct channel in this track. set record input 'none' set recording mode to 'output'. record arm this track. I think that's the essentials, then you should be good to go.

The individual channel tracks can be hidden. At a minimum you would probably want to group them for record arm.

Last edited by hamish; 03-12-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #29
zappazapper

Quote:

- create individual tracks with mono recording inputs to record from the individual channels you want. set record monitor on. set record: disable (input monitoring only). record arm each track.

- create a multichannel media recording track. set desired number of channels, route each individual track to the correct channel in this track. set record input 'none' set recording mode to 'output'. record arm this track. I think that's the essentials, then you should be good to go.

The individual channel tracks can be hidden. At a minimum you would probably want to group them for record arm.
Hmm... Ya that could definitely work... Thanks...
Old 03-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #30
zappazapper

Quote:

I can't say for sure what exactly caused it, because I literally just got home and haven't had the chance to investigate it, but I had some performance issues doing the recording this way... I was running the vocal tracks back out to the PA using hardware outputs and there was clicking and chattering that I wasn't able to deal with successfully until the second day when I abandoned the whole multichannel thing and used multiple mono tracks... Then it worked perfectly... It's possible that there is something affecting my system at the OS level that could be responsible for the problems I had, but it would seem to me that those same issues would also affect the second day's recording... I will be investigating further but at this point I have no reason to believe that there is a performance boost from recording multichannel audio...
Old 03-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #31
hamish

Interesting. I haven't done any comparison as yet. To be honest I have not used this idea in a real session. Always a good idea to test performance.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:00 AM   #32
Embass

You can use multiple instances of reainsert.
Set sends to NONE and select return chanels.
Route signals to appropriate track chanels in pin connector window.
Then record output (multichanel).

example gif:

https://goo.gl/68zCs4
Embass is offline   Reply With Quote