Old 11-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
+ Ghosttouch
Human being with feelings

Default BCF2000 working only via mouse

Hi guysI just bought a bcf2000 and after reading through forums/manuals etc got it into mackie mode. The problem i have is that the bcf does not control anything on screen but rather the mouse will control the unit ( such as moving a fader on screen or pan button - the actual unit moves along also...) which is clearly the opposite of what i want it to do lol.
Im pretty new to reaper so im probably overlooking something blatantly obvious to the rest of you veterans. Help is much appreciated.
+ Ghosttouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Sid Chip

Which mackie mode did you set it to? I believe there are 2, one for "Sonar" and one not.... Anyways, my unit says "NC C" at the top, I believe i held down the second button on powerup to make it this way... And it works great (in mackie mcu mode) for reaper.
Sid Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
Document02

You probably have the right midi port to go to the BCF, and the wrong one to go to Reaper.
Tray playing around with those.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
unsound

Hey Ghosttouch............have you tried using it in BCF mode??? I am using 3 units together (all in bcf mode) using clerics setup, http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...hlight=bcf2000 scroll down and download clerics bcf setup pack. I was planning on using 4 but I'm not sure about the space......anyway I have the shortcut buttons on each unit assigned to different functions per unit....so I have 24 shortcuts assigned to the bcf's.
Has taken a little bit to setup (trial and error) but it works great now.

-scott
Old 11-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
+ Ghosttouch

Default still trying

hey scott - I envy you to have 3 bcf's working - its my goal and i have two already with a third on the way - but just getting this first one up and running is driving me insane. I thought clerics explanations were the best - but i got stuck on step 8 - with the syx file copy...ahem. I didnt know how to do that and ( yes im a newbie) have been trying other options but to no avail. Checked out your site btw - very cool.
+ -
Old 11-09-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
unsound

Ghosttouch........thanks man!
I'm assuming we are using the same setup (readme file).......the readme I used doesn't say anything about a sysex file, but a bc2 file not copied until step 12.
Are you using bc manager? if so I would suggest plugging in one unit at a time when sending the bc2 file. Also are u hooking them up through separate usb connections? "no midi cable".

Let me know how it's going I'll try to upload some files if I need to.

-scott
Old 11-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
Document02

Unsound, I tried BCF mode, but I had the feeling the faders were limited to MIDI size 128 position instead of doubled channel - enhanced presision in mackie control (for Cubase, as Sid Chip) mode.

Does that ring a bell?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
unsound

Document02..........that doesn't really ring a bell, I've only used it in bc mode so thats really all I know, I tried to get it working in one of the mackie modes but just couldn't get it going as easy......... I was able to set it up to do exactly what I wanted in bc mode...............maybe I'm missing out on a better way.....

-scott
Old 11-11-2009, 04:54 AM   #9
+ Ghosttouch

yeah scott - you'll have to show me some pics of your setup mate Im still working on getting my bcf running...i have taken the liberty of reading up about midi - as i figure i might as well understand the midi language. I hit saturation point with trying to get clerics system up and running. bc manager and I arent great friends at the moment

+ -
Old 11-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
unsound

Hey Ghosttouch.........Are you on a windows machine? if so what version. I am on XP Pro. Are you not able to get bc manager to see the BCF or just not getting it to send the bc2 file.

-scott
Old 11-12-2009, 04:19 AM   #11
+ Ghosttouch

hey scott using windows xp - managed to get bc manager to see bcf but cant get it send file. Big day at work - brain dead...will investigate these midi complexities further on weekend.
I watched some videos from the yahoo bc2000 group = were really good but i keep hitting roadblocks when i try. will let you know what exactly when i have time to try again...in the meantime load up those pics of your bcf cascade
+ -
Old 11-12-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
BenK-msx

hi -
one tip for getting your head around midi ins and outs, is to think of it like plumbing, and for it to work the water (data) has to flow from outputs 'into' inputs to create a nice flow/loop.
with usb cables its easier, but same applies when assigning the ports in software etc.

one suggestion for your reaper troubles could be that you have the bcf ports enabled in reaper prefs/midi -
for MCU mode or 'normal' bcf mode - the bcf should be disabled in prefs/midi,

then when you select the in and out ports in prefs/control surfaces you should get reaper talking to the bcf unit.

other thought would be ensuring the behringer own drivers are installed properly.

i'd probably try to get mcu mode or standard bcf going first then when you're a little more bold move on to configuring the more snazzy setups that change views and bank etc.
(mcu mode is good for starters but you have less plugin param control)

am sure you will sort it in no time -
tra
BenK-msx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
lofreequency

I'm having the exact same problem as Ghosttouch.
I'm using MCU mode (dev2,3). It's hooked up via USB.

BCF2000 in mode NC C.

Have it talking to the BCF2000 as the faders snap into position according to the track volume settings, but they only move when you drag the mouse on the faders in Reaper. The BCF2000 will not control the faders.

Preference Settings:

Audio > MIDI Devices > Input set to BCF2000(was originally USB Device but I renamed it) > "enabled + control". Output > BFC2000 > "enabled"

All other MIDI devices are disabled.

When I hit OK this Error comes up:

"MIDI ERROR

The following MIDI inputs and outputs could not be opened...BCF2000."

Using v 3.104

I also have BCF View installed and it recognized the unit correctly....well the track names are there anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lofreequency; 11-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
lofreequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #14
lofreequency

Ghosttouch I figured it out!

The BCF2000 needs to be in USB mode 3.

(From the PDF online manual via Behringer)

-Before powering up unit press and hold the second button from the left (top row).

-Switch ON the BCF2000 and wait until “EG” (EDIT GLOBAL MODE)
is indicated on the display. (Display should go from "1.6" to "NC C" to "EG" (edit global)).

-Edit the global settings with the push encoders 1 to 8 as the
operating mode and device ID. (as you turn the 1st push control different modes will come up. Choose Mode U-3).

-After having completed your selections, press the EXIT button to
get into the preselected emulation mode

http://www.behringerdownload.de/BCF2...tion_modes.pdf

Checkout the other modes there if you're not using USB I guess.

Last edited by lofreequency; 11-14-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
+ Ghosttouch

hey guys - back on deck now that I have 2 days off work. Lo frequency - im going to try what you have pointed out and see how that goes - ben msk i'll also try your suggestions and see how i go - ill post my results later tonight. Thanks again to everyone who has replied!

+ -
Old 11-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #16
+ Ghosttouch

Ok I was playing around with the unit much to my frustration when after a brief and rather wrath filled verbal outburst i entered into another screen - in the edit mode of either the control surfaces or midi preferences and after selecting my unit to be both input and output the thing works now...unbelievable. Functions currently working are - faders work, buttons on top control mute and solo, the rotary encoders dont do anything....and It only works for 8 tracks - 1 being the master and the remaining 7, standard track lanes...
I tried to use clerics setup proceedure but I got stuck on step 9. As a newbie i have no idea how to copy the reaper_sws.dll file

9. Copy the file "reaper_sws.dll" to the "Reaper\plugins\" folder.
10. Copy the file "reaconsole_customcommands.txt" to the "C:\Documents and settings\[your user name]\Application Data\REAPER\" folder.

I tried...clearly my level of computer knowledge is akin to a peanut...but hell im a vocalist. I havent learned all this stuff before.
cheers guys

+ -
Old 11-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #17
+ Ghosttouch

the rotary encoders actually control pan - i forgot to mention those.
Back to business.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:33 AM   #18
Coerce

That step needs to be update. The sws extensions are in installer form now so you don't have to mess around with .dlls

Download the installer here :

http://www.standingwaterstudios.com/

Coerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #19
+ Ghosttouch

downloaded the installer now how exactly does that effect the setup stages by cleric?? I was trying to get the it all working but i have been given a midi headache lol
Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 AM   #20
Coerce

Downloading and installing the sws extensions will replace step 9 so you can now move on to step 10.

I found it a headache the first time I set up my bcf. Soldier on it'll be cool
Old 11-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #21
lofreequency

Default Frustrating stumbling block eliminated

Ok, I thought I had the BCF2000 working just fine in Mackie mode, but upon reopening my project it wasn't the same as when it shut down...so I think anyway. (I'm new to Reaper)

So I tried many settings in the preferences and kept getting "midi error (could not be opened) messages" no matter what I'd do. Sometimes the BCF2000 would work fine after I cleared the error, but next time I pressed say the "stop" transport I'd get the stupid "midi error" message again even though after clearing it it would work.

So. Why is it working but getting error messages??

Then discovered in the Audio preferences tab there's a "turn off midi error messages" check box! I did so. Works great now. So it seems anyway! lol

So, if others are reading this and just want to use Mackie mode here's my set-up:

BCF2000 is in U-3 mode (see above how to get there)

Reaper > Options > Preferences > Audio > Uncheck "Warn when unable to open audio/Midi devices* > OK.

Audio Midi Devices > Input > BCF2000(renamed from USB device) > Control Only.
Midi output disabled for the BFC2000 (read to do this in the manual I believe) > OK.

Also, I turned of the "Warn when errors opening surface MIDI device"* in the Control Surface Preferences.

*Any reason not have those warning boxes unchecked is going to matter much? Why am I getting errors if it's working might be the better question. lol

I'm mostly using Reaper to record straight audio tracks via a Tascam US1641. External MIDI keyboard pushing soft synths will be later controlled via the Tascam (I hope).

All faders, buttons, and dials seem to work as I'm used to when I used the BFC2000 in Acid Pro 7.

I tried Cleric's set-up with the SWS addition step 10 recommended above, but got stopped at step 14. I found no "REAPER bc.2" file to open after I change the file type to"BCn2000Sciprt editor file.

Any clue what I did? Or where to find that file?

I'm happy to have this going in MCU mode though at the moment.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #22
BenK-msx

that seems an odd setup for mcu mode from reading that lofreq' - thats fine if its working of course but just thought id mention it.

so you get feedback on the faders?

have you set anything in prefs/control surfaces??
normally you would set both input and output there. with nothing set at all in prefs/midi.

when you say 'bcf2000 (renamed from usb device)' -
this makes me think that you have not installed the behringer specific drivers/or they have corrupted etc.
it should appear as bcf2000[1] or something straight away without renaming.

anyways, working is working i guess!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #23
lofreequency

Any input is appreciated BenK-msx! Thanks!

"so you get feedback on the faders?"

Meaning they move the volume track fader in Reaper and vice versa...yes.

"have you set anything in prefs/control surfaces??
normally you would set both input and output there. with nothing set at all in prefs/midi."

Oh, yes. Control Surface MCU. Midi in and out is "BCF2000".

"when you say 'bcf2000 (renamed from usb device)' -
this makes me think that you have not installed the behringer specific drivers/or they have corrupted etc.
it should appear as bcf2000[1] or something straight away without renaming."

I thought that was screwy (USB device name) and in Acid Pro7 the unit is usually recognized as BCF2000. I've had to reinstall the drivers before. I will try that again. Also, BCF View doesn't sees the unit as USB Device too and not BCF2000 which it usually does.

OK, more clues. Thanks BenK-msx!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
lofreequency

BenK-msx. I reinstalled the Behringer drivers. Restarted machine. BCF2000[1] shows up now! Not "USB device". Yay!

Same other setting as I stated above as far as preferences. Still have to have the Midi warnings turned off. Also, at times the unit won't respond if I go back into the preferences and don't change anything and leave the preference window. I then have to go back in and re-click the settings themselves and hit OK to reactivate...seems odd.

Otherwise seems to be OK.

Oh, why are there other BCF2000 options like BCF2000[1]-A or -B along with BCF2000[1] showing up in those preference boxes?

Thanks again.

Last edited by lofreequency; 11-18-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #25
BenK-msx

cool - abbreviate to 'benk' if you like, i wish i never added the msx bit!

if both in and out are set in prefs - control surfaces

do make sure that nothing named bcf2000 is set on /enabled in prefs/midi.
that may help things - the midi problems i don't understand so try it anyway.

think the A and B are the other midi ports on the unit, e.g if you plugged a midi device into the bcf itself. best left alone for now!
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
lofreequency

There are no other midi devices enabled. The only other possible midi device in there is the Tascam which shows up but is disabled.

Next I need to figure out how to get two of the BCF2000's hooked up.

But for now, baby steps, baby steps. I'm happy. lol

Thanks again,benk.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #27
unsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofreequency View Post
BenK-msx. I reinstalled the Behringer drivers. Restarted machine. BCF2000[1] shows up now! Not "USB device". Yay!

Same other setting as I stated above as far as preferences. Still have to have the Midi warnings turned off. Also, at times the unit won't respond if I go back into the preferences and don't change anything and leave the preference window. I then have to go back in and re-click the settings themselves and hit OK to reactivate...seems odd.

Otherwise seems to be OK.

Oh, why are there other BCF2000 options like BCF2000[1]-A or -B along with BCF2000[1] showing up in those preference boxes?

Thanks again.

lofreequency.............I've been having kind of the same problem here lately. I'm in BC mode using Cleric & Benk's setup so Benk this might be for you to answer if you can. When I boot into Reaper is seems my 3rd BCF won't respond to the project loading, sometimes only 4 faders may respond but when I go to move the faders nothing happens on screen. So I go into midi prefs. and basically resetup the 3rd BCF and it works..........WALA!
Not so fast.........when I shutdown or reboot the cpu and back into Reaper.............same problem and remember when I was talking with you a while back about my setup all 3 of my units were being recognized as a USB Audio Device...I went with that(along with the default windows driver) because it seems to be the only way I could get BC manager to see the units and I could only have one on at a time when in BC manager because it would only show 1 unit at a time and I was never sure which one it was. So anyway.......everything has been fine since with all 3 units working together in Reaper until, here recently and now it seems I have to set the 3rd sometimes the 2nd unit up every time I start Reaper............gonna try using the last BCF driver now that I have them setup with BC manager....

@Ghosttouch........if you haven't seen my BCF console thread.........here's a pic.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #28
BenK-msx

uh.. will try..!

think the bcf coming up as 'usb device' = bad and should be avoided as can cause randomness.

with more than one unit, not that i have experience but the ID on each unit must be different - theres a post somewhere where i quoted the manual on how (will look in a sec) - but worth checking to eliminate the possibility of that causing hassle.

beyond those two things and assuming units are in same usb mode, working correctly etc. i have no further clue!

edit: in global edit mode (store&edit?) its pot 5 to change the ID apparanty.

Last edited by BenK-msx; 11-19-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #29
unsound

ok guys here's what I came up with last night............basically I had to uninstall my BCF's and let windows install the drivers for them,all 3 units came up as "usb audio device" in windows and Reaper, well Reaper showed something like this:

usb audio device- Control only
usb audio device (a)
usb audio device (b)
usb audio device (2)- Control only
usb audio device (2) (a)
usb audio device (2) (b)
usb audio device (3)- Control only
usb audio device (3) (a)
usb audio device (3) (b)

the ones with control only are the ones I chose, basically 1,2, and 3.
Everything seem to work just fine after going thru that....and after 3 or 4 computer reboots everything was still working just fine.

Seems like every time I would actually install the BCF driver I would have problems or when they were recognized as "BCF 2000" in device manager or Reaper........I could never get all 3 to work together.

Also I'm not sure if this actually had anything to do with it but I set all 3 to device id 1 in the BCF's global edit mode.........it didn't seem to help when I had them setup as 1,2,3
Again this was all in BC mode using Cleric and Benk's setup.

hope this helps............

-scott
Old 11-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #30
Coerce

I've added a new set up guide and some sys ex files that might help you. I have my 2 bcfs in bc mode usb mode 1 and id'ed differently.

Guide says for win 7 but should work on any os as I wrote most on xp.

http://fallofarcadia.com/BCF2000/
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #31
unsound

Hey Coerce..........did you find the u-1 mode to be easier than u-3 or what exactly is the difference........don't have the manual on me at the moment.
I guess if everything is working fine then no need to change it but everything was working fine and then all of the sudden for what seem to be no real reason, it wasn't.......after a few days of messing with it I set it all back up the way it was and it seems to be working fine again........???weird???
Maybe I'll try it in U-1 mode if I have any problems....

-scott
Old 11-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #32
BenK-msx

Coerce - i will add your helpful page to the 'bcf stuff collection thread' in a sec.. [DONE]

one q: do your presets have the 'preset change' output programmed in already (cc94 or whatever it is) for doing view change etc. in reaper? be good to know, and if they did.

as for unsounds problems - v. odd!

Last edited by BenK-msx; 11-20-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #33
Coerce

In bcman the preset and encoders don't show up as mapped but they are mapped as standard and looking at my action list it's cc96.

View changed fine and the sync works perfect for me. GLT who I helped set it up with yesterday had some problems with the custom sws commands but we'll look at that later, could be multiple things.

My guide is something i started when I got win 7 but completed in a rush last night and will add on to it.

As for usb mode 1, I seemed to be having problems in win 7 on mode 3 so tried mode 1 as it's usb only and nothing else. works perfectly for me but it could be os dependent.

Cheers for adding the link to the page, there's a lot of different ways to set up the bcf all along the same lines but it's good for you guys to know it works flawlessly in win7