Old 05-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
dub3000
Human being with feelings

Default new go/no-go album: 'holding pattern'

Finally! New album: http://gonogo.bandcamp.com/

Up for streaming and (name your price/free) download, should be on iTunes/Google Play/Spotify soon.

Totally mixed and recorded in Reaper, apart from some of the older songs that had basic tracks put down on an old Roland digital multitrack.

Really keen to hear what you think! Let me know if you have any questions about the recording/processing/etc.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
hamish

Hi! I listened to 'desperate romantics' and 'nothing'. 'Nothing' tune and vocals were strongly reminicent of crowded house for me. Do you get that a lot? Good guitar pop.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
dub3000

Thanks, appreciate the comments!

'Nothing' is kinda a weird track for us - we'd been doing increasingly complicated music and it was nice to get back to something that was pretty much just chords for a bit.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
rforssell

My favourite is Leave your mark. Lots of intense big guitars and the music gets lots of space. The aggressive drum hammering increases the energy. Me likes!!!
rforssell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
dub3000

Thanks!

When I get back to my desktop I might post some screenshots of the Reaper sessions - we kinda went a bit mental with overdubs.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
kindafishy

Clean, polished, well mixed, well produced.

This album frames a period of time for me with an 80's pop/rock, Duran Duran, Cutting Crew, Midnight Oil, Crowded House, The Smiths kind of feel to it.

If anyone reading this likes that period of time in music (and many, many people do), please check this out and give the full album a listen. I'm pretty confident that you'll end up spinning it many times.

Every tune is quite appealing. Very strong writing, very strong production. Just to pick out one tune, Roxanna in particular is a standout for me. Love the change in intensity between the different sections. Really effective. Catchy too. Okay, a second one too... Leave Your Mark is particularly strong as well.

I think that, since music is quite circular, we are potentially poised for a resurgence of music exactly like this. It's too bad that the industry-machine is in such a shambles right now because this would have been prime to get you signed back in the day, even with only a half-decent agent with some half-decent connections. Who knows, maybe it's all not doom-and-gloom. This certainly has the potential for tremendous commercial appeal. Ever thought about investing in an agent so you can get this in front of (the now gimped and hobbled) industry players? Are you out playing shows to support it?
kindafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
dub3000

We played our album launch a few hours ago, and filled the room - we don't really play many shows, but we promote the ones we do pretty hard (ads on smaller radio stations, social media etc)

Thanks for the kind comments - we definitely weren't avoiding that 80s indie pop thing (listened to The Smiths, The Cure for reference sounds for a lot of the guitar overdubs) while still trying to make it sound modern and not senselessly retro.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
dub3000

Oh, and yeah - we could definitely do a better job on logistics and management. After doing this for a while, it gets a bit hard - I just want to record and perform music, yknow?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
dub3000

Also:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg reaper pic.jpg (64.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
hamish

Nice screenshot! 128 samples with 110 tracks, what interfaces were you using? was all the tracking and mixing with the same one?
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
dub3000

Basic tracks recorded on an ancient core 2 duo lenovo laptop. Overdubs and mixing on this thing. Interface is a usb m-audio fast track 8r in a rack with a bunch of fancy preamps.