Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #1
jesus4c
Human being with feelings

Default 'Stuttering' on playback

Hi there,

Recently I've been experiencing a bad 'stuttering'effect when playing back my podcast projects. Playback will just lock up on a particular frame and rapidly repeat it for about a second before resuming play again - from a point about a second later (as if playback hadn't stalled).

Going back and replaying that bit doesn't replicate the problem. Also, I frequently experience little audio glitches on playback, but when going back and replaying, they're not there. If I render out to an MP3 file, that plays perfectly.

I haven't had the problem up until recently and I haven't changed my computer setup at all. I'm running a PC with Intel Core i5 @ 3.00GHz and 16.0GB Dual-Channel RAM. And using a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
jesus4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
foxAsteria

Did you increase your buffer? prefs/audio/device/asio config

Realtime audio is not comparable to rendering. Realtime audio needs more computing resources and if there are not enough...bad sounds.

Certain hungry plugins can also cause this, especially on the master track.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Did you increase your buffer? prefs/audio/device/asio config

Realtime audio is not comparable to rendering. Realtime audio needs more computing resources and if there are not enough...bad sounds.

Certain hungry plugins can also cause this, especially on the master track.
I reckon you've hit the nail on the head, fox. Now that you mention it, this has only been happening since I've added compression and EQ and other things to quite a lot of tracks - along with TriLeveller and YouLean meter to the Master track.

Buffers have always confused me, but the moment I get home from work I'll try increasing it, as suggested. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2019, 06:49 AM   #4
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus4c View Post
Buffers have always confused me
This should clear things up. Did for me, anyway.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
toleolu

Really good video on emphasizing the importance of looking at the big picture rather than focusing on some specs. Would have liked to see him make the distinction between the embedded motherboard controllers versus external controller cards, but overall very good.

The most overlooked aspect he mentioned is keeping the firmware and drivers of all your devices updated. Can't count the number of times back in my old IT support days where I was able to resolve performance related issues with updated firmware and drivers.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #6
jesus4c

Great video! Explained so much! And has certainly set me on an investigative journey with a bit more understanding to sort this out. Something I've done in recent weeks has caused this issue.

First thing was that the firmware on my AudioBox was out of date. Not anymore. I then had a look at the buffer size. Mine was set at 512 samples/44.1kHz and that 512 already seems high compared to the video where he was running about 19,234 virtual instruments and everything else! So, I've left my settings as they are to see whether the firmware upgrade makes any difference. (I'm expecting it won't. I'm more suspicious of the plugins I'm using).

I'm also running a Behringer X-Touch One control surface and the stuttering often occurs (but not always) when I'm using that to write to a track in Reaper.

So - I'll move around everything I can think of to check firmware and drivers. That's my next hurdle - knowing which devices and drivers need to be checked. Like Reaper, why can't everything just notify me when there's an update available??

And then a close look at my plugins. Good to know, that while inconvenient, this isn't messing up my project.

PS. I like his shirt, too.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
toleolu

Quick question. Are you using the embedded graphics controller on your motherboard, and do you have a second physical drive for your data?
Old 05-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
jesus4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Quick question. Are you using the embedded graphics controller on your motherboard, and do you have a second physical drive for your data?
Yes and yes. No special graphics (or audio) card and the SSD drive has my Windows files on it and the 2GB SATA is for data alone.

This is a desktop computer I purchased for Reaper and audio projects alone. The only other things I have connected are audio monitors and a MIDI master keyboard to the AudioBox and the X-Touch One to the desktop via USB.

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.00GHz 32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASRock H370M-ITX/ac (CPUSocket) 33 °C
Graphics
PHL BDM3201FD (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 26 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 (SATA ) 31 °C
232GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB (Unknown (SSD))
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
AudioBox USB 96
Old 05-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
toleolu

Nice rig.

Quote:
I haven't had the problem up until recently and I haven't changed my computer setup at all.
By any chance did any Windows Updates install recently? I've seen other posts here where after updating Windows people had issues. Don't recall the specifics, but hopefully someone will see this and have more info on that.

As far as firmware and driver updates go, you can check the ASRock website to see if there are BIOS, firmware, and driver updates for your motherboard, but you might want to hold off on that for now since things were working OK up until recently. Get this current issue resolved and then start looking into firmware.

Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
foxAsteria

Did you run LatencyMon? If any system drivers are causing interference, it will let you know.

With most common audio devices, the drivers are never very good. In my previous setups (at least 4 different devices), I could never get my buffer lower than 256, and generally had to raise it to 1024 by the end of the project. I upgraded to an RME card and now I can run at 128 from start to finish. I bet the guy in the vid has a pro device from RME or similar.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:30 AM   #11
jesus4c

First of all, thank you SO much for your suggestions so far! No answer yet, I'm sad to say, but the whole experience has certainly been very educational. I've just had an afternoon of working on a new podcast episode (#1 in Australia, at the moment, I'm proud to say. ) and at the same time, trying to figure out a solution.

Alas, the buffer has not made a difference. Each time the stuttering has happened (about once every 10-15 minutes) I've changed the buffer settings but whatever I put in there, it hasn't helped.

At this stage I had only 1 track with audio on it. I tried replacing my TriLeveller JS plugin with a VST version of the same. And then disabling all plugins on that track as well as the Master. Didn't help.

I ran LatencyMon and 'Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts'.

There were the usual scheduled Windows updates about 4 weeks ago. And at a very rough guess, the might've been when the issue started, but I'm not sure. Hopefully, if this is the problem, the next updates will fix it.

And while the RME equipment looks wonderful, it's a bit out of my budget. I'm hoping not to have to spend any more on my system.

Luckily, the problem is just bit annoying and not stopping me doing what I want to do. Next time I'm in front of said computer, I'm going to try selecting different ASIO drivers.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #12
foxAsteria

Quote:
I'm going to try selecting different ASIO drivers.
If you're on Win10, where the audio situation has finally been improved, you might try WASAPI instead. But you should only use the ASIO drivers made for your device though. Reinstalling them with the latest version won't hurt either.

Also, try the "ignore asio reset messages" option in prefs/audio/device.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
toleolu

By any chance, have you recently connected any new USB device(s) to your system?
Old 05-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #14
jesus4c

Quote:
If you're on Win10, where the audio situation has finally been improved, you might try WASAPI instead. But you should only use the ASIO drivers made for your device though. Reinstalling them with the latest version won't hurt either.
Just checked the other ASIO drivers available and the others on the list all belong to other PreSonus devices (that I don't have) so I'll steer clear. And yes - the most recent drivers were installed when I updated the firmeware a couple of days ago. So I might try WASAPI after I test THIS possibility:

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu
By any chance, have you recently connected any new USB device(s) to your system?
YES! I recently plugged in a small, USB powered LED desk lamp. Now unplugged, so I'll see if that makes a difference today.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #15
jesus4c

Quick update. No good news, I'm afraid.

I unplugged the newly-added USB desk lamp, but that didn't make any difference.

I had a long day of work yesterday and everything's all the same - the stutter seems to happen about once every 30 minutes or so, while the crackly and glitchy playback is quite regular - and seems to happen (although I could be wrong) on audio tracks that are from wave files that have been imported into Reaper and converted from 48kHz to the project setting of 44.1kHz.

I haven't had a chance to try WASAPI yet and am hoping the next Windows updates might change things. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

All a bit frustrating this, as I purchased my computer and equipment specifically to start a small podcast production business and wanted to make sure at the outset that the system would be more than enough to handle everything thrown at it.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #16
foxAsteria

Ah, well then you should probably run those files through the batch converter and get them to the right sample rate. Otherwise Reaper resamples on the fly and you will get a performance hit.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:34 PM   #17
toleolu

These pod casts you're referring to, are they audio and video, or just audio?
Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #18
jesus4c

Sorry about the delay in replying - it's been a crazy week!

The podcast is all audio, but I work in a TV station and the voices and interviews (along with video) are recorded on our broadcast equipment and I then export the audio as wave files for me to import into Reaper. I also add music, voice and sound effects I've recorded myself (direct into Reaper or into my phone) or downloaded from various sites.

Looks like the export settings in our TV video editing software (Quantel) for wave files are locked at a sample rate of 48kHz (at least I can't see anywhere to change it), and my Reaper project settings are 44.1kHz.

I'm just about to start Episode 8, so I might change my project settings to 48kHz and see if that makes any difference.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
toleolu

Just for grins, take one of those audio files that you get from the station, load it in Reaper, render it with the settings you normally use, then load that rendered file and use it instead.

Might be something in the way that commercial system encodes the audio that is causing problems for Reaper.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #20
jesus4c

Started Episode 8 yesterday with Project Settings set at 48kHz. Loaded the 48kHz wave file from the TV station and soon had the same problem. I was only using one track, but soon had the brief stuttering again.

I haven't had a chance to try your suggestion yet, toleolu, but I will ASAP. I'll try that next week when I start on Episode 9.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #21
jesus4c

Latest update. Just started Episode 9. First thing I did was convert a phone interview that was exported as a 48kHz wave file from my work video software into VLC and converted it to a 44.1kHz wave file. Hopefully negating any dodgy encoding that Quantel may have done.

Loaded that file into Reaper (with a Project Setting of 44.1kHz) - and..... alas, still the same ol' problem.

Also - Windows has since had updates, but that hasn't changed anything either.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 PM   #22
toleolu

Do you mean that you used the VLC convert/save function rather than rendering the 48k file in Reaper?

My suggestion was to load the audio file from your commercial system into Reaper, then render it in what ever format you use for your pod cast, then remove the commercial file from Reaper, load the file you just rendered into Reaper and see if that plays smoothly.

I seem to recall you said that once you render the file in Reaper for your pod cast, the file plays fine. If I misunderstood that, then I apologize.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #23
foxAsteria

I'm not sure what to suggest, but did you run LatencyMon while running Reaper? The initial results are not always the same as when you're doing DAW work and as you've seen, they sometimes don't crop up right away. If it's running when the problem occurs, it might show you something.

Do you have anticipative fx on? Is the problem related to having armed tracks at all? Sometimes enabling too many cores in prefs/buffering/allow live fx multiprocessing can have adverse effects. Mine's a 16 core and runs best with 2-4 enabled. Many of the settings there can be tweaked when a project is at its limits and you can hear the result immediately if there is a difference.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 05-18-2019 at 03:29 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #24
jesus4c

Quote:
Do you mean that you used the VLC convert/save function rather than rendering the 48k file in Reaper?

My suggestion was to load the audio file from your commercial system into Reaper, then render it in what ever format you use for your pod cast, then remove the commercial file from Reaper, load the file you just rendered into Reaper and see if that plays smoothly.

I seem to recall you said that once you render the file in Reaper for your pod cast, the file plays fine. If I misunderstood that, then I apologize.
Ah, yes. I HAVE strayed from your suggestion somewhat. I assumed the goal was to simply re-encode the files from however my commercial system encoded things to something that is likely to be more acceptable to Reaper (if there was an issue with the original encoding). Hence VLC.

I'm a bit too far along in the editing of Ep9 to back up, but in a week's time when I'm doing Ep10, I'll start by rendering all my files in Reaper - as you suggested.

And yes - once I finish each Episode, I render it as an MP3 file and THAT MP3 file plays perfectly.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #25
jesus4c

Quote:
I'm not sure what to suggest, but did you run LatencyMon while running Reaper? The initial results are not always the same as when you're doing DAW work and as you've seen, they sometimes don't crop up right away. If it's running when the problem occurs, it might show you something.

Do you have anticipative fx on? Is the problem related to having armed tracks at all? Sometimes enabling too many cores in prefs/buffering/allow live fx multiprocessing can have adverse effects. Mine's a 16 core and runs best with 2-4 enabled. Many of the settings there can be tweaked when a project is at its limits and you can hear the result immediately if there is a difference.
Not really understanding them, I've only ever glanced at my buffering settings - and have never changed anything. So - defaults all round. Anticipative FX is on. With a render-ahead of 200ms. Nothing else is selected.

ATM, I have no tracks armed at all. And it's rare that I DO have tracks armed. The odd bit of recording into a mic I have plugged into my AudioBox interface or some level control via a control surface is about it. The vast majority of the files I work with are wave files exported from my work system.

I tried running LatencyMon whilst playing my project in Reaper and the results are below (coz, once again, I'm not too sure what I'm looking at) - but, as I was out of the room for a lot of it, I don't know if the stuttering happened or not.

I'll next try running LatencyMon whilst I'm working and quickly have a look when The stuttering happens.

CONCLUSION
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:27:54 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: PODCAST-PRODUCT
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134 (x64)
Hardware: ASRock, H370M-ITX/ac
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Logical processors: 6
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16304 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 30 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 472.405414
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 5.136931

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 451.584077
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 1.673198
Old 05-18-2019, 04:22 PM   #26
toleolu

If you get a chance, with that commercial audio file inserted into a track in Reaper, right click on it and select "Item Properties". Post those properties, maybe someone will see something in those properties that might be causing the issue.

I still have a feeling that something in the way your commercial system encodes the audio is what's causing Reaper to have problems with it.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:49 PM   #27
jesus4c

Quote:
If you get a chance, with that commercial audio file inserted into a track in Reaper, right click on it and select "Item Properties". Post those properties, maybe someone will see something in those properties that might be causing the issue.

I still have a feeling that something in the way your commercial system encodes the audio is what's causing Reaper to have problems with it.
Gawd! Big learning curve today. Have never tried to post a screenshot before. It ain't easy, is it!? I hope this link works. This is the Item Properties for part of one of the files that was exported from Quantel QEdit Pro as a wave file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10Pr...ew?usp=sharing

Also - here's a cut 'n'paste of the Source Properties:

Length: 9:08.640
Sample rate: 48000
Channels: 1
Bits/sample: 24 (int)
Total samples: 26,334,720
Blockalign: 3
Datablock start: 56

I also plan to talk to the computer techs at work on Monday to see if I can see (and maybe change) the wave encoding/exporting settings.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 PM   #28
foxAsteria

Quote:
I tried running LatencyMon whilst playing my project in Reaper and the results are below (coz, once again, I'm not too sure what I'm looking at) - but, as I was out of the room for a lot of it, I don't know if the stuttering happened or not.
Ok. When you get the bad result, you can go to the drivers tab and sort them by highest execution. Then you can see which drivers are causing the most problems. From there you can try newer/different drivers for the devices listed and hopefully come to a resolution.

In some cases older drivers perform better or even the default microsoft drivers can be better than the manufacturer ones. It's a bit of a crapshoot, but it's nice that we have tools like this now.

When you get a bad result, post it and maybe we can help you sort it out.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #29
jesus4c

Quote:

When you get a bad result, post it and maybe we can help you sort it out.
Thanks heaps, fox!

OK - so it just happened and I immediately went across to LatencyMon and sorted the drivers results by Highest Execution - and here's the top results. Sorry they seem to be a bit hard to read, but ndis.sys was the highest on the list with a reading of 0.585784.

Driver file Description ISR count DPC count Highest execution (ms) Total execution (ms) Image base Image size Company Product Version Path
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ndis.sys Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS) 0 1060692 0.585784 19278.849296 0xFFFFF805'F8210000 1314816 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys
Wdf01000.sys Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime 934150 934003 0.409978 34397.094908 0xFFFFF805'F78A0000 933888 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 1.25.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys
dxgkrnl.sys DirectX Graphics Kernel 311421 205766 0.373642 12750.858830 0xFFFFF805'F8910000 2830336 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.765 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys
tcpip.sys TCP/IP Driver 0 10337 0.327734 97.500046 0xFFFFF805'F8D70000 2772992 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.706 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\tcpip.sys
nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 390.77 0 371408 0.259468 3969.802775 0xFFFFF805'FC460000 17833984 NVIDIA Corporation NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 390.77 23.21.13.9077 C:\Windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\nvr f.inf_amd64_380c3d916226cc62\
ntoskrnl.exe NT Kernel & System 0 61098 0.227882 465.527790 0xFFFFF800'C3805000 9781248 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.765 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
netbt.sys MBT Transport driver 0 5 0.174269 0.427914 0xFFFFF805'F8CB0000 339968 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.706 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\netbt.sys
rspLLL64.sys Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library 0 4262889 0.159397 3349.685609 0xFFFFF806'1C720000 45056 Resplendence Software Projects Sp. LatMon 6.50 built by: WinDDK C:\Windows\system32\drivers\rsplll64.sys
storport.sys Microsoft Storage Port Driver 0 26135 0.145702 167.317815 0xFFFFF805'F7DF0000 581632 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.376 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\storport.sys
HDAudBus.sys High Definition Audio Bus Driver 16365 14837 0.129672 565.443936 0xFFFFF805'FD570000 118784 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\hdaudbus.sys
afd.sys Ancillary Function Driver for WinSock 0 208752 0.122846 305.899686 0xFFFFF805'FA220000 647168 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\afd.sys
paeusbaudio.sys TUSBAudio Class Driver 0 7076 0.092359 10.901586 0xFFFFF805'FC300000 368640 TUSBAudio Class Driver 4.42.0.0 C:\Windows\system32\drivers\paeusbaudio.sys
stornvme.sys Microsoft NVM Express Storport Miniport Driver 0 20926 0.064694 21.245494 0xFFFFF805'F7E80000 126976 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.81 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\stornvme.sys
dxgmms2.sys DirectX Graphics MMS 0 727 0.058201 1.425645 0xFFFFF805'F9CF0000 811008 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.765 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
CLASSPNP.SYS SCSI Class System Dll 0 219 0.037999 0.958008 0xFFFFF805'F8740000 438272 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys
kbdhid.sys HID Keyboard Filter Driver 0 374 0.023219 0.999149 0xFFFFF805'FC450000 65536 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\kbdhid.sys
WdFilter.sys Microsoft antimalware file system filter driver 0 27 0.007630 0.068939 0xFFFFF805'F7F20000 352256 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 4.18.1904.1 (GitEnlistment(winpbld).190407-2141) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\wd\wdfilter.sys
storahci.sys MS AHCI Storport Miniport Driver 0 77 0.006176 0.174074 0xFFFFF805'F7DC0000 172032 Microsoft Corporation Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 10.0.17134.1 (WinBuild.160101.0800) C:\Windows\system32\drivers\storahci.sys
Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 PM   #30
foxAsteria

Hmmm, so .5 is not great, but not that bad either. NDIS related to networking, so try going into device manager and disabling the network adapter. Networking and display drivers are usually the main offenders. You can safely disable them for testing and your computer will still be functional.

Basically the idea is to go through the list of drivers and disable them one by one until the problem goes away. Then you can try to update the problem drivers to fix it or as a last resort, replace the hardware.

Honestly those numbers shouldn't cause you so much trouble. Try checking Task Manager when the problem occurs to see if other background processes are using too much CPU.

Have you done done basic system tuneup stuff? Never hurts:
https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Old 05-20-2019, 06:06 PM   #31
toleolu

Just curious, but if you take that 9 minute 48K .wav file that you exported from your commercial broadcast system and play it VLC Media Player, does it skip during playback as well?

Not in Reaper mind you, just open VLC Media Player and play it. Or even whatever flavor of Windows Media player you might have. See how it plays in one of those players.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:25 PM   #32
jesus4c

Thanks for your replies and sorry for the slow response. I'm in full-on edit mode ATM, so will be trying your suggestions as soon as I get a moment.

Just a quick observation - the stuttering also happens when playing a file in Media Explorer and I THINK it also happens when playing a Soundcloud file in a browser. So, not one of my downloaded or exported files or using Reaper at all.

I only THINK coz this is when I'm looking for a suitable music track for the podcast and I'm flicking from one to another and the 2 times I THINK it's happened has been milliseconds before I've clicked to move on to something else.

Will experiment further when I get a chance.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:45 PM   #33
toleolu

Quote:
Thanks for your replies and sorry for the slow response. I'm in full-on edit mode ATM, so will be trying your suggestions as soon as I get a moment.

Just a quick observation - the stuttering also happens when playing a file in Media Explorer and I THINK it also happens when playing a Soundcloud file in a browser. So, not one of my downloaded or exported files or using Reaper at all.

I only THINK coz this is when I'm looking for a suitable music track for the podcast and I'm flicking from one to another and the 2 times I THINK it's happened has been milliseconds before I've clicked to move on to something else.

Will experiment further when I get a chance.
So the fact that it does the same thing when you play it in a media player kind of indicates what I've been saying about something in the way that commercial system is encoding the audio.

If you can put that Quantel file on a Reaper track and just render it, just by itself, nothing else, then replace the Quantel track with the track you just rendered, I'm thinking that might work for you. Granted it's a workaround, but sometimes that's about all you can do.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #34
jesus4c

Quote:
So the fact that it does the same thing when you play it in a media player kind of indicates what I've been saying about something in the way that commercial system is encoding the audio.

If you can put that Quantel file on a Reaper track and just render it, just by itself, nothing else, then replace the Quantel track with the track you just rendered, I'm thinking that might work for you. Granted it's a workaround, but sometimes that's about all you can do.
I will certainly be trying this when I can, but it happened just now - whilst playing an MP3 in Media Explorer that was downloaded from a site here at home - had nothing to do with Quantel at all!
Old 05-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #35
toleolu

Quote:
I will certainly be trying this when I can, but it happened just now - whilst playing an MP3 in Media Explorer that was downloaded from a site here at home - had nothing to do with Quantel at all!
Crap!!! That really is strange. Maybe my idea won't work afterall.

Your hardware is solid, like Fox said earlier, the numbers on that latency mon weren't really all that bad, but something really strange is going on.

When you play back audio in the media player, does it use your system sound device or your interface?
Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #36
jesus4c

Oh,oh, OH!!! I think I've found the problem!!

Being obsessed with correct audio levels for my podcast, I have a VST plugin called Youlean Loudness Meter 2 on my Master Track to make sure everything is at -16LUFS.

If I'm playing my project, open the FX panel for that Master Track and disable Youlean, I can recreate the stutter at will as soon as I re-enable Youlean! Each and every time! And if Youlean is enabled, the stutter also happens when I close the FX panel.

So, even though I'm not constantly enabling and disabling that plugin (it was always enabled before now), it looks very much like the stutter is related to this.

SO - Youlean is now disabled until I really need it at the end of my project. I'll keep working and see what happens now. I'm feeling very confident. I'll keep you posted!
Old 11-23-2023, 06:29 AM   #37
laser558

Just my thoughts on this. I like to use Lexicon reverb vst's from time to time. Invariably, when I do use them, I experience the same kind of stuttering the OP has had. I have found that a way to cure this is to go to the lexicon vst on the track, right click it and tick "Force auto bypass on silence for selected FX.
laser558 is offline   Reply With Quote