Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM   #161
Cableaddict
Human being with feelings

I probably should, but I'm too busy. (g)

-just raising some points for you guys to consider. You should either do normal licensing or not, but not 1/2 way between the two.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #162
Arnar

Why was i under the impression that i bought a lifetime license?

Well....
Arnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #163
Spyrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyrow View Post
I've just bought a discounted license but in Reaper it shows like: "Licensed for non-commercial use".

If the discounted license is valid to use commercially now, why it shows like non-commercial?

I mean... if I'd start using Reaper in front of a customer I wouldn't like him/her to view a "Non-commercial" phrase in the screen.
I just read this will be included in the next build:

Quote:
+ License keys: updated text for non-commercial to be more accurate (personal/small business)
Thanks Cockos
Spyrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 AM   #164
lender

Default Policy for mac beta users?

What is the policy for those of us working on macs and usign the beta?
lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #165
evanrabby

Location: Please add midi learn to sends. Nuts and bolts before games!
Default keep it simple

make sure you always return a PERMANENT key, NEVER based on computer hardware config! im sure your aware of that kind of nasty model! same as, if i had to plug a dongle for everything i run at the same time, id have to have more usb devices running than sound card hardware...

example:

i am royally screwed along with the whole tascam gigastudio 3 community, because after 2 years of not patching brutal bugs, then releasing version 4 at full cost, then going OUT OF BUSINESS on gigastudio products, like they deserved, they are not even maintaining a simple v3 license server anymore! every time my computer changes hardware, gigastudio is broken unless i can go online...

that was a $700 investment that they have basically broken for life now!

fortunately i found a 'workaround' this is the first time i actually applaud key generating coders, as tascam illegally has failed to live up to their end of natural law, and so i consider it within my right to have found a way to bypass their online servers.

its sad, i had to get an key maker for software i OWN
Old 12-23-2009, 03:09 AM   #166
typewriter

When I use reaper on win7 and osx - not at the same time - just on 2 different workplaces. Do I need one or two licences?
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #167
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by typewriter View Post
When I use reaper on win7 and osx - not at the same time - just on 2 different workplaces. Do I need one or two licences?
No.

schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #168
typewriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
No.
I assume "no" means 1 licence, i.e. the licence is cross-plattform?
typewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #169
schwa
Administrator

Sorry, binary thinking One license is fine in your case. From http://www.cockos.com/reaper/purchase.php:

Quote:
Your license allows you to use REAPER on one computer at a time.
Multiple REAPER installs for use by the same person are fine (home/studio/laptop, Win32/x64/OSX).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #170
stormyandcold

Finally got round to buying a discounted license, cheers Cockos and crew!
stormyandcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #171
chip mcdonald

I'd suggest some sort of legacy incentive. It looks like a yearly version turnover, which in the meantime is bug fixes - which means sketchiness at first, and then when it starts getting solid (like 2.58) there's a "new version" to buy, full price.

I was under the impression (getting in very early) there was a pseudo-Fruity Loops policy... in fact, I could have sworn at one time there was mention of lifetime upgrades "somewhere along the line", but it felt more like paying for beta testing the 2.0 series.

I've been on down time recording this past year, and haven't had time to properly check out 3.x. I'm likewise not inclined to buy it, since it seems like the release cycle makes for a "completely stable" release per version number? So while I've got to x64, I don't want to buy at full price - like any other person walking in off the street - something that I'm going to lose license on come 4.x, which will again be a "beta" until 5.x.

So, I'm thinking of buying 4.x.

I'm sorry, I think there should be some sort of scaled "legacy" arrangement to encourage continued good will to differentiate return customers, despite the "look what you'd pay for DAW X" argument, which sort of runs counter to what I thought was the Cockos philosophy. Particularly if one is gunning to make a mark based on installed used base against the "corporate advertising juggernaut" approach.

For instance, if I could buy 3.x for what I paid getting in on the ground floor - I may not be posting this. As a policy that would encourage new users to "lock in" their investment as soon as possible, rather than vacillating "if I buy it now I won't have to worry about what the price is going to be". I'd also suggest that there was a fine line crossed between the "old school" price and the new, that goes from a casual user saying "yeah, no question, I'm buying this" to "Hmmm...".

In my own business, I'd love to just keep raising my fee every year per inflation, and I could rationalize it the same way "I have even more experience now, more of a "user" base", etc." but the reality is that the market is a fickle thing, and there's a lot of competition - whether the competition is better or not. There's an invisible dividing line price wise, and it's also tied to that advertising aspect: I can't expect the same size "user base" as another business that can afford to spend $$$$$$ on advertising/promotion I can't.

$.10 IMO quibble.

/ aside: I know a lot of musician friends that bought Reaper, who I know previously would probably never have bought a DAW. That is to say it's not so much the utility of Reaper, but I hate to say it the price point. Finding out "what the market will bear" is a sketchy thing these days to do IMO.

// A 4 track version for Android at $5 would be a hit
Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #172
Justin
Administrator

We do our best to be as transparent about our pricing and licensing policies, and value your feedback.

Perhaps you misunderstood the REAPER license upgrade policy -- it has always been this way, and if you purchase a license now, you will get ALL of v3.x and v4.x. So not just one major version number, but two.

If you are a 1.x commercial license users, please email support at cockos.com, we can give you a 3.x commercial license for a discounted price.

I agree in principle it would be good to give all users some discounts for upgrades, and we hopefully will at some point -- the main reason we haven't yet is that it either requires building infrastructure to allow this, or a lot of manual work (for determining is this person a legitimate user, etc). It should be noted that if we do allow this, it will likely only be a discount in the realm of 10-30%.

-Justin
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #173
db9091

Reaper has actually had this policy in effect since you bought it. When I bought it, it was tucked down the page, so if you didn't have patience, you missed it (as I did), so I too erroneously thought it was "lifetime" upgrades.

Here's the History:
===============================
In Dec 2005, if you bought Reaper, they said:

"REAPER versions 0.xx are available as freeware. When we release v1.0 the license will change to shareware, but you can freely use REAPER versions 0.1-0.99 for free. Head on over to the download page to grab a copy! "

===============================
In Dec 2006, if you bought Reaper, they said:

"# Purchase non-commercial license for $39.95 USD
# Purchase commercial-use license for $199.95 USD

Purchasing a license for REAPER v1.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v1.99. "
=================================
In Dec 2007, if you bought Reaper, they said:

"The normal price for REAPER is $225.00 USD, however for users who wish to use REAPER only for non-commercial use we offer reduced price licensing for $50.00 USD.

Purchasing a license for REAPER v2.x entitles the user to use, on one computer at a time, past and future versions of REAPER up to and including v2.99."

========================

[WHICH IS CLEARLY WORSE, SINCE IT WAS ONLY ENTITLEMENT TO ONE VERSION]

So Reaper is NOT pulling a fast one here. In fact, they've extended it from just ONE full version number to TWO (and the price has gone up 50%, too, for a 25% savings on two version I guess)

In the end, you actually ARE getting your money's worth, and you can see it multiple times some weeks.

Cheers!

(BTW, I got the info at: http://web.archive.org/ so you can check up on all company's web history.)
db9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #174
spaids

I've been watching Reaper for a while. I have only recently been considering making a real switch to Reaper. If I do I will buy a license. I admit that I am putting of this decision in hopes of the 4.0 coming soon and there will hopefully be a solo safe mode. How far will ver 3 go before it gets a major upgrade number change? I would have to buy in at 3.4 to see it roll to 4 3 months later and then I missed out on the version 5 upgrades.

All this said the full price (non commercial) license is sill cheaper than the discounted upgrade prices offered by all other companies. In the end its a push I guess.

um I think this thread is off topic.
spaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #175
db9091

Well that's certainly one way to look at it.

I looked at it like: I had FUN using it, I was more productive because of that, so I bough it.

It's best to do comparisons of you're evaluating worth. This is upgraded often. You aren't forced to pay for the NEXT level of upgrade. And you can talk to them WHILE they're working on it.

Try that with another DAW company.

Now if you're already productive on your own DAW and are only marginally interested in Reaper, I can see waiting.

But you can buy Reaper a few times for the cost of other similarly powerful DAWS, and 2 of them for another DAW's upgrade PER major release.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #176
lxm

any thoughts on when 4.0 will come out?
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #177
db9091

Who knows. It almost doesn't make sense to ask that. Fixes get done. Numbers go up as fixes get done. At some point, it'll be near 4 and then BE 4.0

If you graph the license changes 6/06 0.961, 2/07 1.7, 6/07 1.868, 1/08 2.027, 5/08 2.2, current 5/10 3.5

You can sort of extrapolate and say that they'll hit 4.0 probably in November or December at worst, early next year if historic trends hold.

It depends on your need. If you can do without Reaper, you either already have another DAW and can wait indefinitely, or you don't need a DAW and are just playing around.

If the extra bucks you're working out that are lost on 0.5 changes in a software, you're quite a cheap MF and probably already stole a crack version.

Because Everyone I know who works with Reaper finds it so much bang for the buck they don't haggle over parts of a bug cycle in license costs.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #178
Chris Yeazel

Default license issue

Howdy dudy,

I bought a Reaper 3 license about 5 or 6 months ago(version 3.31 I think) but I had to do a complete re-install of my system a few days ago. Is there any way of tracking down my license info or is it banished forever in the digital grave?
Chris Yeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #179
Chris Yeazel

Nevermind. Got my passkey from support. Thanks guys.
Chris Yeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #180
Marcel K-O

I switched from Digital Performer/Pro Tools/Ableton (upgrades are so expensive) I tried Studio One and thought that was the Daw I was going to use because it seemed easier to use,but I was broke and just decided to stick with what I had.A friend of mine pointed out Reaper and since there was a Mac version I gave it a try...HALLELUJAH.. no more anxiety.. And I could actually afford to buy it. Reaper saved my musical soul. I have since recorded a full Blues ep and am continuing to blaze through projects. To me it is obvious that Reaper is THE BEST DAW EVER as I've practically used them all over a period of 15 years and thousands of dollars not necessarily wasted. Just wished it was the first DAW I ever had to try and buy, because with me and Reaper there is no looking back only forward. Thank You Reaper and Reaper people...
Marcel K-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #181
tweed

@Marcel K-O [a bit off-topic me here)
yep, me too.. my nuendo and cubase and logic dongles and other related stuff sits there in a tray of dust! woohoo! (ok, guess i better say something about the original topic here) Hey, how 'bout that great license server!
tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #182
daverich

um, i don't see how anyone could complain about the current policy.

Let them eat cake.

Kind regards

Dave Rich
daverich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #183
Teksonik

I purchased a version 1 license some time ago but sort of lost track of Reaper. I'd like to give version 3 a try so am I correct in saying that if I purchase a version 3 license now I will be covered until version 4.99 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

- If you buy a license during version 3.x, your license will be good through 4.99.
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #184
MrMoto

@Teksonik: that's what the man said.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #185
Teksonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto View Post
@Teksonik: that's what the man said.
Guess I'd just like to hear it again...........
Teksonik is offline   Reply With Quote