Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #41
Banned
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
i'm sure! but in one box?

edit: modular seems the more likely route though - tablets are easy/easier to come by, as are smartphones, motorized fader units are avail, button pads, led buttons, encoders, sensors etc - chuck them all together, and do anything.
Yeah, modular, but all should definitely fit in one box not much bigger or heavier than a laptop with accessories. I'm thinking more of e.g. an iPad lined up in landscape right behind a BCR on a handy clip, not of soldering them together.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
BenK-msx

sounds uh, whats the word... practical!

(note thread title)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #43
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeltarian View Post
I still support OSC, but let me throw some gas on the fire, just for fun:
http://www.midi.org/aboutmidi/midi-osc.php
I found that link disappointing. MIDI doesn't need to be "defended" by tearing down a newer protocol.

MIDI and OSC are both just communications protocols, that can carry any message, and the messages have no meaning unless both the sender and the receiver have some previously established, mutual understanding.

MIDI comes with many pre-established assumptions: note-on messages usually mean that a note should begin, the receiver maintains some persistent state so notes don't hang, the data will be transported over a wire, and so on.

OSC has almost no assumptions and is transport-independent, it doesn't care if it's being transmitted over a wire, a local network, the internet, written on paper napkins, etc.

The benefit of MIDI's assumptions is that most devices work right out of the box. The cost of OSC not making assumptions is that devices need to be configured to work together.

The cost of MIDI's assumptions is a lack of flexibility: sending arbitrary messages, or sending messages over a network, requires some agreed-on packing and unpacking method. The assumptions also make it quite a bit harder to support, because there are all sorts of special cases (meta-messages, running status, etc). The benefit of OSC's not making assumptions is total flexibility and nearly trivial ease of support.

There isn't any single thing that OSC can do that MIDI can't, or vice versa, because they are both just ways for one device to send a message to another device. Thanks to MIDI's 15-year headstart and the fact that there is an existing structure of assumptions for what messages mean, there are thousands of hardware and software MIDI devices, and only dozens of OSC devices. But by design, it's much easier to add new support for OSC than MIDI, especially if the application is anything other than very standard musical note sequencing, and OSC certainly feels a lot more like the future than the past.

I think anyone developing new audio hardware or software now should really be supporting both OSC and MIDI.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #44
ivansc

schwa: Your post is sort of encouraging to me as a MIDI adherent, but one thing that does concern me a little is the subject of latency.

Undoubtedly showing my ignorance of OSC, but IF as appears likely initial implementations will be required to translate between OSC and MIDI for existing MIDI only devices, will that not logically lead to even more latency between person and DAW when using a controller originally based around the MIDI protocol?

At my age and with my level of investment in MIDI based stuff, the last thing I wnt is to be forced to spend my meagre SS pension on new devices to do what the old ones already did, just because someone decided MID was a dead duck, or at the least no longer at the leading edge.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #45
schwa
Administrator

The opposite of what you describe is currently the case. There are so few OSC-aware applications that most OSC devices also include a translation layer so they can be used in a MIDI-only context. The translation doesn't add any latency, in either direction.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #46
Wanda Previous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viente View Post
I've seen a lot of updates with OSC support recently. Could anybody tell me what is the practical benefit of this feature? What is the real world situations when the OSC can improve the workflow?
If it looks like bloat, smells like bloat, and sounds like bloat, then it's probably bloat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Software bloat is a process whereby successive versions of a computer program include an increasing proportion of unnecessary features that are not used by end users, or generally use more system resources than necessary, while offering little or no benefit to its users.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat
Wanda Previous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #47
BenK-msx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignorance
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #48
-R-

Sorry for being a little bit OT, but:

Quote:
I often think to solve the "fat fingers" problem one would need a 48" monitor. you'd also need the daw to enlarge everything so you could still run a high resolution without making the buttons you need to push teeny tiny.
Don't understand that, sorry (language barrier, probably, as my mother language is french), could you elaborate, please?

Regarding "fat fingers", I imagine myself zooming the screen when opening a synth interface. I'll have Windows 7 next week and it seems easy to do.
Also, the screen I plan to purchase use optical recognition, so anything that come 1mm close to screen triggers the "touch thing", even thin pen or whatever. Do you think it could be good? Thank you so much!
-R- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #49
xpander

-R-, one test you can do right now is to position your current monitor screen where you have planned to have your touch screen. Then simply touch and slide your fingers all over the screen like you would on latter.

edit: if testing like this, please do not press the screen hard or use any sharp objects or you might end up harming your display.

Ergonomics wise you are far better off placing your control surfaces/devices as close to your body as comfortably possible. Hands working at elbow height or lower and no stretched arms, for occasional operations the shoulder height should be the maximum. Basically, if you already have your keyboard and mouse in optimal place, that's where the touch screen should go. Yes, flatbed, near horizontal too.

I think it was karbomusic who brought this same point up somewhere around here and I definitively agree with him. Small hand held devices won't necessarily give you the real clue of how bigger screens used also for monitoring will handle, unless placed the same way. The matter might be a bit different if you are planning to use the touch screen mainly as a control surface and have another monitor for regular viewing. However, as a sole monitor, you might have to compromise more than initially thought of.

Last edited by xpander; 03-08-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: bluzkat reminder
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #50
Phisk

What's the use computers anyways they just can cope with 0s and 1s

You just don't know what OSC might be useful for at the moment. Time will tell...
Phisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #51
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
The opposite of what you describe is currently the case. There are so few OSC-aware applications that most OSC devices also include a translation layer so they can be used in a MIDI-only context. The translation doesn't add any latency, in either direction.
Clever trick & I for one am very relieved to hear about the latency issue.

And I had not really intended that my comments about OSC/MIDI be taken in the context of current day real world devices, since by the nature of the beasts and MIDI's huge head start, it would be very unlikely that there would already be more OSC stuff than MIDI, which is sort of the point i was trying to make.

So essentially, Schwa, you are confirming that implementation of the assorted long standing MIDI FRs is harder to do than achieving the same thing via OSC?
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
... one test you can do right now is to position your current monitor screen where you have planned to have your touch screen. Then simply touch and slide your fingers all over the screen like you would on latter.
I would not recommend this! This will destroy most LCD monitors.

Regular monitors are not touch screens.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #53
ThePriest

Automation items (the first FR that come to my mind but there are many others) would be much more appreciated than OSC.... and of course much more useful.

Our controllers can send only 7 bits? Well, you could at leasts implement "ranges" so our 7 bits would be used better, simple and fast to implement.
ThePriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #54
Argitoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrule View Post
I have yet to see a video that shows me the practical use of OSC and tablets other than someone tinkering with one finger or trying to impress me with eye-candy. Personally, I think this is something that studios are using to make their customers think they're really hip. I don't buy it.
OSC is very exciting for me because it will literally take me from being a slave to midi technology to "earning my freedom." Not only is OSC support in REAPER a financial savior for me, I will be able to do things I've been wanting to do ever since the first time I used a synthesizer.

Just understand that for some people, OSC will be essential in the coming years. When I have what I need I'll gladly make a video. It is absolutely not just for geeks and for "oh that's cool." I'll just say this: It's going to take Analog Synthesizers to a whole new level and make my job easier, it will be a time saver in many ways, it will ultimately lead to greater income for me. More money means better quality of life means good marriage means awesome sex... in conclusion...

OSC = awesome sex

Thank you REAPER for this!
Argitoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:52 AM   #55
Win Conway

Quote:
midibox - i don't know what this is. some guys showing off their DIY?
This made me laugh, try reading a bit on the site and you will see how important MIDIbox actually is hahahaha www.ucapps.de
Old 03-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #56
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
I would not recommend this! This will destroy most LCD monitors.
Regular monitors are not touch screens.
Good reminder for too tough guys, I'll add that to my previous post too. I meant it only as to get an idea of how it feels like in actual use and placed where it was supposed to be used...not used as a dart board or drum pad.

Light touch won't destroy LCDs, you'll usually need hard pressure and/or sharp hit to cause harm.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #57
Wanda Previous

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
There isn't any single thing that OSC can do that MIDI can't, or vice versa
Can OSC send a note-on message using only two bytes?

Because if OSC can’t send a note-on message using only two bytes then that is something that OSC can’t do – but that midi can do.

Right?
Wanda Previous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #58
johnrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
But then, why don't you just ask for a video showing the practical usage of OSC, period?
Actually, I was looking at videos on YouTube that convinced me it's not practical. I saw many one finger controlling and multiple slider controlling that resulted in fingers sliding off the control and multiple attempts.

I am not questioning whether it works, I am questioning the practicality. Do we really need to remotely control a DAW? Is it faster? Is it better? Is it cheaper? Why is it practical?

Quote:
To me it looks like you are critical about the usefulness of using tablets / touch screens
I'm just curious about this fascination because I've been using them for a very long time in remote control systems. I also created software that allows you to create user interfaces that use OSC (and TCP, UDP, midi, etc) for remote control. I have several touch screens and tablets myself and I do not use them specifically because they are not practical.

Quote:
but I don't see how that relates to OSC per se.
This is another curiosity for me too. I am not making this connection...others seem to be. OSC is just a protocol. It's not magic either, and it seems like it is being sold as something everyone should have. I don't see the need.

Quote:
I can agree that the usefulness of touch screens is easily overestimated, up to a point at least, but please leave OSC out of the criticism then;
That's really my only point, and I'm not the one making the odd connection between OSC and touch screens, that's my other point.

Quote:
Also, you easily overlook all the other sensors that tablet / smartphone devices have.
This is strictly about the practical use of the touch screens as a controller...using sensors moves into the practical realm of control, which is taking my side. You are allowed to do that of course!

Quote:
I'll admit that it's more a fun hack than a generally useful tool, but here's one example where an OSC client on my iPhone (i.e. a little tablet) provided the optimal solution for my little practical problem: I happen to dislike controlling wah wah effects (e.g. in Amplitube) with sliders or rotary knobs, keyboard aftertouch or such - it simply has to be a pedal form factor before this monkey likes to play with it. So I put an iPhone running an OSC client in my shoe, which sent the value of (one axis of) the accelerometer to the computer over WiFi or Bluetooth. Mission accomplished, job done. The only alternative would have been a real pedal, easy and cheap enough to buy or make - but as I already had an iPhone (and used only free software), I much preferred not having to go out the door and spend money on a one-trick-pony device that I wouldn't want to carry around at all times anyway.
Thanks for the detailed information about use (which is what I was looking for), and it sounds like it is fun and convenient for you. I still maintain that multiple triggers using multiple fingers, or the need to position a dial or slider quickly and accurately is not practical (yet) on any touch screen.

Quote:
Yes, I think people have noticed they've been on e.g. ATMs for quite a while too.
I suppose I deserved that...touche. I was just poking fun myself at all of the kiddies that seem to have found a new toy to play with, that's all. It is cool, and I tried many ways to use touch screens in my setup...but it was not practical in terms of speed, response, dependability, and live use.

Quote:
It is however only since iPhone OS 1.x that the world has seen a decent operating system with a rich and mature development toolchain that facilitates multi-touch screens, so that everyone can easily build applications using them.
When you have 80 billion dollars to work with you can create some pretty cool things.

I suppose that was one of the minor points of mentioning that touch screens have been around for a while. Is the frenzy really about multi-touch or just that touch screens are new to users in general? I don't see any practical multi-touch, just one finger control, and we've had that for a while.

Quote:
TCP / UDP are not control protocols, they're transmission protocols. OSC is situated on a higher layer, and typically does use TCP / UDP on the lower layers - as such they can not be a substitute for OSC, merely a complement. The layering means that they are not tied together at all.
Thank you for the lesson...I'll go make sure I'm doing it correctly in my software now.

My only point was that they could have just used TCP/UDP and custom strings since the implementation of OSC has become so custom in Reaper anyway. It would have made it easier to send simple TCP and UDP from my software (or any software) since there is some specific encapsulation with OSC packets (behind the scenes).

I would also like to see some of this happen from the built-in HTTP server so anyone can use simple HTML and javascript to create interfaces. They actually started doing something like this many months ago for the HTTP layer, and then moved on...I was a little disappointed.

Quote:
For HID devices, it is not uncommon at all to use applications like Pure data, Max/MSP, junXion etc. to translate their output to OSC. Would you say that you never saw the practical use of OSC in the entire context of HID devices?
My software also allows translation...and RS232 and midi in addition to network, and I would prefer a native protocol for external devices rather than another layer for translation and potential overhead. In fact, I don't see why we still have midi. I assumed everyone would be on the network (TCP/UDP) bandwagon by the turn of the century. I have been sitting here with my control software for over ten years and everyone is getting giddy over multi-touch...whatever.

But, as I said, it's all good!
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #59
BenK-msx

its like a rural no imagination society round here.

ooh look at that OSC, he's a bit different, GET THE PITCH FORKS.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #60
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I was looking at videos on YouTube that convinced me it's not practical. I saw many one finger controlling and multiple slider controlling that resulted in fingers sliding off the control and multiple attempts.

I am not questioning whether it works, I am questioning the practicality. Do we really need to remotely control a DAW? Is it faster? Is it better? Is it cheaper? Why is it practical?
Yes, but as far as I'm concerned, mainly because all virtual instrument plugins are situated there too. Terms like 'control surface' or 'remote' imply to many people that we are only talking about mixer features, thus hiding the fact that it's also about the UI for instruments and effect chains, not only the mixer. Imho a DAW should not be designed only for non-realtime workflows, it should provide an entire virtual studio; and a studio is a place ideally optimized for performing music - recording is completely secondary to making and playing music. Of course, for performance-oriented workflows it is an absolute must to escape from single finger / single pointer UIs, much more than the non-realtime workflow of remixing a song, or editing a bunch of recordings into a single track. And like most other people, I suspect, I primarily use traditional, tactile controllers such as keyboards, lots of sliders, buttons, and knobs to perform music, much more so than touch screens indeed. But I'm definitely not excluding them, e.g. for visual feedback they are much better than just a bunch of LEDs.

So, I'm excited about the OSC support for control surfaces (or perhaps I should just say "feedback", which happens to be only available for OSC control currently) in REAPER because it allows me much better control over my instruments, and not at all because it allows me to edit mixes from a tablet - I'm not much interested in that at all either.

Quote:
I'm just curious about this fascination because I've been using them for a very long time in remote control systems. I also created software that allows you to create user interfaces that use OSC (and TCP, UDP, midi, etc) for remote control.
Interesting. I should definitely have a look.
Quote:
[...] which is taking my side. You are allowed to do that of course!
I think I am, for the most part at least. For example, I have probably been playing with REAPER's OSC features using a touch screen for no more than 5 minutes, while I've been using plain old MIDI controllers (converting MIDI to OSC and back) all the rest of the time.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #61
johnrule

Quote:

No, it's not about that at all. I think there is a bit of tension because OSC has been getting so much attention lately, that's all. The original question, which is a valid question, is about practical use; the person posting as "banned" has been providing some excellent responses, so it is actually productive and informational. Just enjoy the ride!

After thinking about this, I believe what happened (from an industry viewpoint) is that touch screens in general have reached a price point that allowed more people to play with them. This type of control (hardware and software) has been around for at least a decade, and no one really used it in this fashion, so I was curious why the sudden explosion. I was especially curious because I have software that can be utilized for this that has been on the market since 2002.

Furthermore, the price of a wireless PC is still more than the price of an iDevice...you can buy an iPod with wifi for $199 I believe. So, more people are buying these app devices and experimenting with what they can do, and a lot of these people happen to be musicians, engineers, hobbyists, etc. It is also (relatively) new to them in terms of wireless touch screen control, so there is a cool factor involved. I was merely looking at this from a mile-high perspective and wondering "what is so interesting about this type of control?" when I have been through this song and dance before. Yes, it's "fun and convenient", but I personally don't think it is practical (i.e. the use of a touch screen as an accurate and reliable performance device). It's great for extending your desktop and expanding the functionality with new and unique interfaces, but that's about it for me.

My personal obstacle is that there is no tactile sensation and you cannot accurately gauge where your finger(s) position is at any given moment. So, you wind up looking at the screen and doing odd things with your hand (curling up your fingers, using one finger. etc.) to try to see what is going on. Your hand is basically in the way and preventing you from using this like a physical joystick, mod-wheel, mixer, button, etc. where you can grab the thing and look away, knowing where it and what it is doing. This is purely about HCI (human computer interaction) and aesthetics, and it has nothing to do with getting pitch forks (although, that can be fun too!). As I mentioned, it's also a little about the undivided attention OSC seems to be getting when there are other issues that need to be addressed in Reaper (this is subjective and personal of course).

One thing I would like to see come out of this is that midi itself is replaced by OSC (or midi over network), and then we have a ubiquitous 21st century standard. I am all for that. Maybe this is what is going on behind the scenes, hence the big push.

[edit]
Sorry for the long post, but it is an important issue. Even when we move to holographic and kinect type devices for control, we will still have the tactile problem of not feeling the controls. Until there is a valid solution, everything, including touch screens, is like Theramin control.

Last edited by johnrule; 03-09-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: More ranting added
Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM   #62
Viente

Ok my conclusions are :

If you're a producer who just sit in front of DAW and make music, its useless in most cases (at least for now).

If you're in recording studio and rehearsal/recording a big band or orchestra it might be usefull

Thanks for discussion
Viente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #63
BenK-msx

Quote:
i understand your concerns, and my little gag was about the general feel of this and other threads, nothing more specific.

i agree though, but would add that the quality of touchscreens has reached a tipping point of usability with idevices etc, and of course its more about the software and what it allows you to do and how easily.

which is where 'osc development in reaper' comes in, i see it as now reaper spits out lots more info and in context than it ever did, which for control and practical use in many situations is good.

irrelevant of touchscreens. it just happens they have the market share of osc support at the moment and lots of folk can investigate.

as for tactile feedback, i agree its critical next step, did you check this article?
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=30

think it is coming to tablets soon, and should help with having a sense of where a button/knob is etc.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #64
ivansc

Quote:

Or it just might be that the real world applications for Reaper and associated hardware that don't involve the i-Word or the a-Word are few and far between.
IMO OSC is where it belongs right now, in pre-release.

I look forward to its implementation using some form of hardware controller I can both afford and get on with physically, but I suspect we are pretty far off that at present other than with the aforementioned general purpose i and a devices.

Me? I can't afford to spend my hard-earned studio money on yuppie toys.
My phone doesn't even have a camera, but it makes calls and does texts just fine.
Cost me under ten UK pounds, too.
AND it stays charged for at least a week at a time. (grin)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #65
skmando

Quote:
i understand your concerns, and my little gag was about the general feel of this and other threads, nothing more specific.

i agree though, but would add that the quality of touchscreens has reached a tipping point of usability with idevices etc, and of course its more about the software and what it allows you to do and how easily.

which is where 'osc development in reaper' comes in, i see it as now reaper spits out lots more info and in context than it ever did, which for control and practical use in many situations is good.

irrelevant of touchscreens. it just happens they have the market share of osc support at the moment and lots of folk can investigate.

as for tactile feedback, i agree its critical next step, did you check this article?
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=30

think it is coming to tablets soon, and should help with having a sense of where a button/knob is etc.
extremely interesting article and vid - thanks for sharing.
skmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #66
caseyjames

Quote:

A bit surprising. The sheer lack of imagination as to what can be done with OSC and how it could potentially be useful is staggering.

Apes.
caseyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #67
semiquaver

Johnrule makes a crucial point about haptic feedback. Mixing with faders works because you can just do it by feel - moving your muscles changes the level - its like playing an instrument.

but when you have to look to see where you are are a lot more of your mental resources are used processing visual data - you are a lot more aware of the picture and less aware of the sound. also bias like "i'm near the top of the rectangle therefore the track is loud" comes into play.

But osc hardware is sure to come along, right? And that is going to be a joy - when you can buy a hardware white tie imperial controller....
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #68
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
Apes.
Well that really helped the discussion along, didn`t it?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #69
jedstar2000

Default Visual Feedback !!!!!

I have many Midi devices and I have no intention of shelving them.

What I'm hoping from OSC support is much better visual feedback and the ability to integrate different devices into a nice compact production environment.

I have already seen a you tube clip ware someone has removed some keys from there novation keyboard to intergrate an Iphone . Sounds crazy but the most restricting factor of midi equipment imo is Visual Feedback

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpLZXDBVjA

You need to use your imagination this is all relatively new to the DAW market
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #70
JamesMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
He probably meant that it's the answer to the main question:

Q: Practical usage for OSC?
A: Apes.

Future generations will have to decipher this. At this point, we can only speculate. Maybe apes like touch interfaces? Or when the scenario described in the original 'Planet of the apes' actually happens, many generations from now, maybe those apes will tell us how to use OSC?

Seriously though, there's a lot of strange defensive stuff going on here. I don't think anyone is questioning the developers' decision to implement support for this protocol. I'm sure there are good reasons for it.

Personally, I merely wanted to know if it would be useful for any commercially available devices with physical knobs and sliders. A perfectly reasonable question, as far as I can tell.
JamesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #71
johnrule

Quote:
Maybe he was using it like an exclamation, as in "oh snap!"

Possibly he meant it in an H.P. Lovecraftian context, like "the gibbous moon shewn down upon the rooftops, and then suddenly...Apes!".

Anything else would be somewhat devo'lutionary..
Old 03-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #72
Subz

"Apes" did Reaper not just drop native support for that format?

Subz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #73
Banned

Quote:
Or it just might be that the real world applications for Reaper and associated hardware that don't involve the i-Word or the a-Word are few and far between.
IMO OSC is where it belongs right now, in pre-release.

I look forward to its implementation using some form of hardware controller I can both afford and get on with physically, but I suspect we are pretty far off that at present other than with the aforementioned general purpose i and a devices.

Me? I can't afford to spend my hard-earned studio money on yuppie toys.
My phone doesn't even have a camera, but it makes calls and does texts just fine.
Cost me under ten UK pounds, too.
AND it stays charged for at least a week at a time. (grin)
Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

You apparently still fail to understand that real world applications for OSC support in REAPER do not need any hardware that you don't already have, like the computer you are running REAPER on. As I have told you before already.

You may hate iOS and Android devices / tablets / smartphones / touch screens, such opinions are as valid as any other, but imho they are not relevant to the discussion of OSC or REAPER at all. You may think of them as yuppie devices, but in this respect there is no difference at all between them and your computer; they are all general purpose devices, not OSC devices. When you are comparing them to your phone, you are completely mistaking form factor for functionality - it is not really a computer (or it is not very capable at all), but it may indeed serve perfectly well as a phone.

I have not yet seen any iPhone, iPad or Android device that comes with native OSC support. They are simply computers (with small form factors) on which you can install a piece of software that supports OSC, or not. You can just use your mouse and keyboard (and any MIDI gear you may have), install some free software, and use it with REAPER to enjoy some useful features that we did not have available before. If you can not afford your computer, sell it. If you can not physically get along with it, perhaps try a different model.

I have already shown examples on this forum of how to get feedback to plain old MIDI controllers, and also of displaying VU meters via MIDI CC# - both examples used only a computer and a regular MIDI controller. People who still maintain OSC is only usable with a smartphone or tablet, or are denying that it is already usable to everybody who can run REAPER, are apparently not seriously interested in using MIDI controllers with REAPER.

At this point, the discussion about practically usability [EDIT: to be perfectly clear: practically usability of OSC support in REAPER] should focus on ease of configuration. Not on iOS / Android / tablet / smartphone hating.

If we would see much more people wanting to use their iPhone, iPad or Android device with OSC for remote control than something else (i.e. other music apps, MIDI gear), then that would just reinforce the point that there are already hundreds of millions of devices out there that can very easily be used with OSC. Probably much more already than the number of MIDI devices out there, but definitely much more than the number of REAPER users. The chance that some new potential REAPER user already owns an iOS/Android device is much bigger than vice versa. So tough luck for REAPER users that happen to hate those devices.

Last edited by Banned; 03-10-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjames View Post
A bit surprising. The sheer lack of imagination as to what can be done with OSC and how it could potentially be useful is staggering.

Apes.
This is an insult to apes. Apes have more imagination than some posters here. And they are usually excellent at tasks such as pushing buttons. They also figure out many things and can produce works of art just by playing around a bit. Check the IMPS protocol for example.

Last edited by Banned; 03-10-2012 at 09:41 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #75
johnrule

Quote:
This is an insult to apes. Apes have more imagination than some posters here.
You made me spit my coffee all over my OSC protocols...
Old 03-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #76
ivansc

Banned - stop being a patronising twat.

As with so many arrogant dorks like yourself, you assume that YOUR opinion is the only one that counts.

Start being a little more polite,.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #77
Subz

OK lads!

egos at the door please!

lets keep this thread for useful ways to practically use OSC in Reaper

if it helps solve your disputes your all wrong!

only i am right!

(& maybe sometimes JCS)

Subz
Subz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #78
ivansc

Politeness costs nothing.

Unrepentant, but in any case outta here.

Nothing to see here, folks...
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #79
Argitoth

I don't understand why we are still talking about tablets, iphones, what have you. I really want OSC support in REAPER but I have no intention of owning any of those devices.

The #1 thing I want to do is convert voltage to OSC messages.

I'll finally be able control my analog moudular with a foot pedal and simultaneously record those expressions so that I can "play" it back with those expressions intact. 127 steps is not enough for this application.

foot pedal --> analog filter
foot pedal --> osc message
"playback" osc message --> analog filter

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

edit: actually I'm not sure if there are "osc curves" like there are parameter envlopes, I think what it will actually be is Silent Way converting DC to AC and vice versa.

Last edited by Argitoth; 03-11-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Argitoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #80
semiquaver

now *that* is very cool indeed.

cv automation.

why not drive some robots while you're at it...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote