Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Woods1
Human being with feelings

Default Starting My First recording RIGHT NOW. But It is like there is a WALL in front of me.

I have some threads in other forums asking specific issues that have kept me from "JUST STARTING" But I have to start somewhere. I do not know what I am doing but here goes. I wonder about tempo, and click, and pre-roll, how many bars or are they measures? - to leave before a recording item starts, I want to have a good monitor reverb in my headphones so I sound better than I am, all this stuff. and I don't know how to do any of it yet. But I am going to try right now. There is no one watching or listening but I am still nervous. It is like there is a WALL in front of me. I think I need a template, presets, I need AUx sends for the headphone reverb. I think I want a delay in there as well but I can't find a free one that doesn't look like the front panel of a NASA Control Center.

I will be back with many newbie questions I am sure.
Woods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
karbomusic

Why don't you just press record and start playing? That's a great place to start.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
Woods1

That is what I am trying to syke myself up to right now.

every time I start there is a snafu. Like interface not recognized, I am trying to install a free reverb dll in folder and reaper won't recognize it, etc.
But I am getting closer.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
jerome_oneil

Stop installing plugins. Get over your fear of the microphone first.

So do this: When you sit down to practice, start recording. Practice and noodle to your hearts content until you get bored. Then stop recording. The next time you practice, listen to bits of the older recording. Then open a new track, and repeat the process.

When you realize that everything you record doesn't have to be a performance, you'll lose that anxiety. And because you'll have concrete evidence of what you were doing yesterday (and the day before, etc...) you'll be able to demonstrate marked improvement.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
karbomusic

Quote:
So do this: When you sit down to practice, start recording. Practice and noodle to your hearts content until you get bored. Then stop recording.
Almost every single song I have composed that has any merit whatsoever was done so in exactly this way. I keep all of these 'jams' then from time to time go back through them and dig out the little nuggets I didn't realize were there.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
martifingers

I agree - although I don't always do it!
I have a song I really like but listening to the initial "improvising" that led to it is almost funny as I thrash around trying one variation after another. It's as if I had a sense there was something there but couldn't quite find it!
The best comparison (when it works) might be the musical equivalent of the statue appearing out of the lump of marble.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #7
Bass6

Sorry if this is stating the bleeding obvious, but have you watched Kenny G's Reaper tuition videos?
For newbies like myself, they're a goldmine of information and will give you a great start on the basics.
First time I got Reaper I opened a blank song and watched Kenny's videos in another window, following and copying each step.
My #1 tip: take your time! If you've no previous DAW experience, don't expect to be recording a 50-track session after half-an-hour of tinkering. Work through the videos in order and don't be put off by the quantity of them (there's a lot - gawd bless Kenny) - when you've watched a few, things will start to click and you'll be off & running.
Enjoy.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
martifingers

Gawd bless Kenny.

Indeed.

Last edited by martifingers; 02-11-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Syntax
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #9
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods1 View Post
It is like there is a WALL in front of me. I think I need a template, presets, I need AUx sends for the headphone reverb. I think I want a delay in there as well but I can't find a free one that doesn't look like the front panel of a NASA Control Center.

It's indeed a lot to learn when you're starting out from scratch.

I'll second Kennys videos.

There are basically two ways to learn:
1)
- Find out what you want to do
- Do it!
- If you don't know how to do it, find out what you need to know to do it.
2)
- Learn the basics, watch and read
eg. Kennys basic tutorials, read the user manual, other tutorials, forum posts
- then go to #1
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
slipstick

So how did you get on with your first recording ? Mine was entertaining, I learned a lot, mainly that I didn't really know what I was doing. But it's getting better now.

You learn by doing things. In fact you probably learn most by doing things wrong. Reading forums is useful for solving problems but if you haven't done anything yet then you don't have any problems yet .

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
G-Sun

"He that knows not,
and knows not that he knows not
is a fool.
Shun him

He that knows not,
and knows that he knows not
is a pupil.
Teach him.

He that knows,
and knows not that he knows
is asleep
Wake him.

He that knows,
and knows that he knows
is a teacher.
Follow him."
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #12
levets

Quote:
I have some threads in other forums asking specific issues that have kept me from "JUST STARTING" But I have to start somewhere. I do not know what I am doing but here goes. I wonder about tempo, and click, and pre-roll, how many bars or are they measures? - to leave before a recording item starts, I want to have a good monitor reverb in my headphones so I sound better than I am, all this stuff. and I don't know how to do any of it yet. But I am going to try right now. There is no one watching or listening but I am still nervous. It is like there is a WALL in front of me. I think I need a template, presets, I need AUx sends for the headphone reverb. I think I want a delay in there as well but I can't find a free one that doesn't look like the front panel of a NASA Control Center.

1. You don't have to record "in time". In the old days, with Tape, you just simply pressed record and started playing and it got recorded. Stop, rewind, listen back.

You can still do exactly this in Reaper.

Anyone's first step should be just exactly that. Create a Track, Record Enable (Arm) it, make sure you have input signal, press Record, play, and it gets recorded, stop, rewind (if necessary) and play it back.

That IS what RECORDING is :-)

2. You don't need a Count In (which is really what you mean I think), Pre-Roll, or even a Metronome if you're recording Audio.

If you're recording MIDI, you don't need those things either, though if the MIDI is being Quantized (a function you can turn on or off) staying in time with the computer is important, so a Metronome Click becomes essential.

Also, a Metronome Click becomes essential in Audio Recording when you get to a point where you're trying to line up various elements in time that you otherwise can't do by ear.

3.Bars and Measures mean the same thing. One Bar = One Measure.

4. Learn to record first as others have suggested (watch the demos). Don't be nervous - this is not going to be the thing you submit for your Grammy. All artists make thousands, if not hundreds of thousands if not millions of recordings that never get heard. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Record something, if you don't like it, delete it. It's that simple.

For learning how to Record, it's essential you record! It's just like learning to play an instrument.

5. Reaper comes with a number of Plug-Ins built in. There's no need to download anything extra if you're just starting to learn how to use a DAW.

You can easily insert a stock plug-in on a track, and pick a pre-set, and get reverb and/or delay on your track.

However, you have to learn how to use those too to make them do what you want.

Honestly, I would record dry to get used to the sound of it. It allows you to hear what's going on and what needs fixing rather than "covering it up".
levets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #13
Woods1

I have been away from the computer a couple days because I dig clams and peddle them on the street on Fridays. We had a winter blast here on Thursday night Friday morning so there weren't many customers out and about on Friday so it was a slow peddling day. As a result I have been shucking clams all day today all the clams not sold - so I can freeze them. But I am back now and have promised myself that I want to record a demo before the weekend is over.

Awesome responses, wisdom, moral support, and suggestions. I am listening right this moment to Kenny's Reaper Tips and Tricks - Making a Custom Click Track. And Kenny's Reaper Signal Flow - Track FX.

Bass6 - What are Kenny's "Reaper tuition videos?" I am not familiar with them.

Levets - I have been intimidated by the look of the Reaper Plugins - for example the Reapre Compressor plug has so many sliders compared to the OPtron LA3 compressor plug. So I downloaded the Optron compressor and feel less intimidated by it.

Even though most of you recommend just getting started and recording dry etc. I want at least to have verb on vocals and I would like to make Ac Gut sound wide. No matter what anyone says I believe that the illusion created by these effects fools the psyche into a higher state of confidence - resulting in a better performance.

So Kenny has helped me set up an FX Send to a Reverb Channel. But how can I get the wide Ac Gut sound when only tracking one mono Guitar? I have read that merely sending it to another track and then panning those two track L and R merely gives you a lttle but louder sound that still sounds like the original centre guitar.

But I have also read that if you delay that second Guitar Track that that can create the illusion that there is a second unique guitar track that you can pan hard from the orignal track.

Is this the case?

And is it as simple as what I think - which - is : I merely vreate a send of the original guitar track and then pan that new track hard left ad put a delay on it. Then I will get an acceptable proximity of what i am trying to achieve?

Here is what I am referencing with regard to widening guitar. Although this thread does not mention that it is possible during tracking??
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...+wide+tracking

Thanks for all your interest,

Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 02-11-2017 at 04:43 PM. Reason: After Thought
Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #14
Woods1

Default I did it. My first recording in Reaper. Could I let you hearit?

Is it ok to post projects?
Is this done in the collaboration forum?

ciao,

Woods
Old 02-13-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
Bass6

Quote:
Bass6 - What are Kenny's "Reaper tuition videos?" I am not familiar with them.
You'll find them all here:

http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

They may not tell you everything you'll ever need to know, but there's a TON of useful stuff if you're just starting out, and the titles will more than likely help you find what you're looking for. Enjoy
Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
Bass6

Quote:
Is it ok to post projects?
Is this done in the collaboration forum?
Absolutely. Post away.
There's a lot of experienced and helpful people out there, so don't be shy - you may get suggestions and/or criticism but it will all be constructive and valuable, not negative or nasty.
Dig into the forum and listen to what people have already posted - huge range of stuff at all levels.
Work through Kenny's videos, but don't think of it as a task - bitesize chunks, and repeat if the tutorial hasn't sunk in. Always try to copy what's being shown in your own Reaper...there's no substitute for actually doing.
Have fun! Mess about. Try stuff. Everyone has their own way of working, no-one is right 100% of the time - you might find something awesome nobody's thought of before. Remember, you can't 'break' Reaper. If something you do sounds grim, there's always 'undo': Ctrl+Z.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
Coachz

I can't wait for the "Reaper while you sleep" series of Kenny driven reaper audio tapes to play while I sleep. I learn so much from every video and the lessons are not always the topic. Like I might know about comping but during the video notice that he enables Mute on/off display on each item so i can easily mute any item. Great stuff !
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #18
Woods1

Default Here is our First Reaper Recording.

I posted a link to a Soundclip in the Collaboration Forum here:
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...82#post1801882

Throw us a life preserver please. All critiques very welcome.

Cioa,
Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 02-13-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Copy Edit
Old 02-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #19
Woods1

Default What is the bet forum to get help building in?

Is this the best forum to be in or should I be in the "Collaboration" forum?

I want to continue to get help from you (anybody & everybody) in building this song. But I probably should keep all the communication with you about it in one forum. (Isn't that a good idea?)

I am asking this in the other forums that I have posted in and will be getting a consensus so I can decide where to consolidate my posting.

Ciao,
Woods

Last edited by Woods1; 02-18-2017 at 08:24 AM.