Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 01-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #481
dasombre
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
Both planned.
amazing! thx for the insight and looking forward to it!
dasombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #482
helgoboss

Released Playtime 1.11.0

Changes:
#3 Added anacrusis support! That means you can now configure clips to start playing before the beginning of the measure. You basically define the portion of the clip that comes before the first downbeat, virtually a bridge. A small but very effective feature to make your loop-based music sound less rigid and more musical. See new context menu entry 'Anacrusis length'.
#5 Added easy clip cropping by offering context menu entries 'Section start position' and 'Section length' on clips which have timebase 'Beats (position, length, rate)'. Note that REAPER's source section feature is used in order to support real non-destructive cropping (default audio section fades are adjustable). It's even used for MIDI items although REAPER officially supports it for audio items only. It works quite nicely but there are some side effects: 1. Double clicking the item on the REAPER timeline doesn't open the MIDI editor (it does in Playtime though) 2. A cropped clip is still always displayed full-length in the MIDI editor so the MIDI editor cursor doesn't reflect the current playing position 3. MIDI notes in the cropped clip might not be visible in the arrange view
#5 Improved easy clip cropping by also offering automation parameters 'Selected slot section start position / length'. You can map these to endless rotary decoders, absolute knobs or buttons for example. If the clip timebase is not 'Beats (position, length, rate)', the resolution is milliseconds instead of beats.
#5 Improved easy clip/item cropping by also offering REAPER actions 'Playtime: In/decrease section start position / length of selected item' (for buttons and keyboard shortcuts, for example in combination with 'Auto-select mode')
#5 Improved easy clip cropping by offering context menu entries 'Apply section (glue)' and 'Remove section'
#185 Improved usability by using source sections instead of glue to preserve audio item cut on fill whenever possible (optionally also for MIDI items)
#193 Improved usability of recording by recording clip on first armed track even if no group track is set
#180 Improved user interface by disabling unsupported actions during MIDI overdub
#189 Improved performance by improving scheduling strategy
#194 Improved usability by making auto-select the default (both for new instances and in track/project templates)
#178 Fixed wrong source length after MIDI overdub by glueing MIDI item afterwards if necessary (workaround for REAPER bug)
#184 Fixed superfluous undo points written on loading
#186 Fixed slot offset modes 'Continue', 'Absolute gate' and 'Relative gate' for playrates <> 1
#188 Fixed conversion to one shot or loop by not messing with the playrate anymore when doing it
#167 Fixed very slow docking after invoking undo and when loading project
#192 Fixed FX chain window flickering by preventing it from popping up when opening docked Playtime via REAPER action
helgoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:26 PM   #483
hwhalen

Hello helgoboss

I've just started using this and its very good.
Just scratching the surface... :-)
hwhalen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #484
hwhalen

Default Posted on your Playtime forum

I posted this question on your forum and thought I might get more info here.

I've just started using Playtime, I have a question regarding the recording of a midi guitar. It involves 6 Reaper tracks due to the tracking and pitch bend in order to sound properly.

I've tried various methods, including sending the track outputs (audio) to a single track as it appears that I can not trigger the six channels (audio) at the same time. I do not want to record all 6 six (midi) channels on the same track, as the pitch bends will collide. I haven't been able to make it happen.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should do this?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #485
helgoboss

I don't really understand the setup. Maybe you can post the REAPER project file?

You can trigger only one item per slot. If you have a bunch of related items spread on several tracks that you want to trigger at once ... that's not possible. You could move them into a subproject first (non-destructive glue). Then it works. If that's what you mean.

I'm thinking about closing the other forum. 2 forums are too much.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:00 AM   #486
hwhalen

Quote:
I don't really understand the setup. Maybe you can post the REAPER project file?

You can trigger only one item per slot. If you have a bunch of related items spread on several tracks that you want to trigger at once ... that's not possible. You could move them into a subproject first (non-destructive glue). Then it works. If that's what you mean.

I'm thinking about closing the other forum. 2 forums are too much.
It's simple, I own a GR-1. Midi Channels 15-10 transmit midi info.
In Reaper I use 6 tracks, each track records 1 midi track and has 1 VSTi.

In Playtime I'll have six group tracks, each mapped to the 6 Reaper tracks.
If I read your answer correctly, I can not trigger 6 related items at once.

What is a subproject? I'm attempting to do this live.

I've tried to send the midi or the audio using I/O to another single midi/audio track and trigger that one but I haven't succeeded as yet.

I'll post any other stuff here.

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #487
lxm

Would be cool to have some detailed videos of this in action!
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #488
vanhaze

Totally agree ..

I am aware of the existing tutorials.
But imho there should be way more te explain all the aspects of Playtime in great depth.

This is such a promising powerful tool, it deserves all the attention in well explained supported videos.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:45 PM   #489
hwhalen

Default Playtime multi-track guitar

Here is a project that illustrates an interesting (limitation?) when using Playtime.
In this project, there is a folder track that contains six tracks that receive midi from a GR1. I'd qualify this as a subproject.

(I included the hardware audio inputs but they are not active)

The I/O from each track is sent to the folder track.
If I Record using Reaper, activating the folder track for record, then the folder track records the audio that is played by the 6 midi tracks.
The midi tracks do not record as they are monitoring only.

When I attempt to capture this using Playtime, no audio appears in the folder track, therefore no recording.

No VSTi are included, include the ones you wish.
Here's the project file, minus the VSTi.

https://stash.reaper.fm/26541/Playtime-Guitar-Test01.rpp

If you can help me out with this Benjamin I would appreciate it.

There are other things one can do, like record a single midi channel with pitchbend set to zero etc..., but hopefully something can be done to make this possible.

I am finding your product to be very good, the experiment continues...

Thanx
Old 02-05-2016, 04:43 AM   #490
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
When I attempt to capture this using Playtime, no audio appears in the folder track, therefore no recording.
The project file helped out. Now I see what's the issue. Playtime automatically sets the record mode to "Record: input (audio or MIDI)". That's why you don't see any audio on your track. I created ticket #196. This will probably come in the next release, should be an easy change. Interesting use case by the way.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #491
hwhalen

Quote:
The project file helped out. Now I see what's the issue. Playtime automatically sets the record mode to "Record: input (audio or MIDI)". That's why you don't see any audio on your track. I created ticket #196. This will probably come in the next release, should be an easy change. Interesting use case by the way.
Thanx Benjamin
Old 02-10-2016, 01:24 AM   #492
hwhalen

Benjamin,

Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but my simple project keeps crashing Reaper.
I'd like to automate 'record selected slot,go right'.
When I set automation to a value that will activate it such as Touch or Write, I can't find a way to stop the recording.
If I try to do anything to turn off the automation then Reaper crashes.
If I leave automation at Trim or Record, the play cursor moves, but nothing records.

This is a clean 5.12 install, with no SWS. No plugins in use, only audio.

I'm hoping you have a idea what this might be as I'm unable to use Playtime.

https://stash.reaper.fm/26593/Clean-Playtime.rpp
https://stash.reaper.fm/26594/120%20G...P%20A%2001.wav
Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 AM   #493
Ozman

That's probably the problem.
You might need to install SWS.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #494
helgoboss

Playtime doesn't depend on SWS (or at least it shouldn't). I will have a look what causes this.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #495
hwhalen

Any luck with this Benjamin?

I can use Playtime note & notes to control it but any automation crashes Reaper.

So my wish to use it for performances is a no go.

Win 10 Reaper 5.15
Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #496
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhalen View Post
Any luck with this Benjamin?

I can use Playtime note & notes to control it but any automation crashes Reaper.

So my wish to use it for performances is a no go.

Win 10 Reaper 5.15
Hi hwhalen,

I checked the project. You must not activate the activation lane for the parameter "Record selected slot, go right". Use MIDI learn only! In other words, the checkbox in the first column of the automation window must NOT be checked:

If the activation lane is activated, REAPER by default uses Trim/Read mode for that parameter. The result: When you use MIDI to control that parameter, its value would immediately switch back to the value on the automation lane, so it doesn't work. Automation lane doesn't make sense for this kind of parameter - it's intended for use with MIDI learn only. By the way, I'm currently working on something that makes this kind of MIDI control easier, more flexible and less error-prone.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2016-02-21 15_09_17-Envelopes for track 1 _Playtime_.png (5.2 KB, 1393 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #497
hwhalen

Thanx Benjamin, I'll give that a try & let you know.

Update: Works fine now! Looking forward...

Last edited by hwhalen; 02-21-2016 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:07 PM   #498
memyselfandus

This thing is really awesome. I've had some weird things happen. I trigger in a series of cells and scenes and then put the cursor to another part of the timeline and record some more clips in..and some older played in clips disappear.. Is this a demo restriction or something?

This software needs some good in depth tutorial videos. It's great
memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #499
memyselfandus

See previous parts disappearing?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #500
RobU

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
See previous parts disappearing?

Do you have the 'Write' button activated? If it is, then the items should remain in place
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #501
memyselfandus

I had whatever the default setting was. I "think" I'll have to check later.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #502
helgoboss

Quote:
I had whatever the default setting was. I "think" I'll have to check later.
Default setting is "Write" disabled. That means your playing is not recorded. So "orphan" clips fired in the "past" can be removed by Playtime anytime. Playtime for sure removes them as soon as you press stop. If you want to keep the fired clips, enable "Write" before. Then clips shouldn't disappear.

This is no demo restriction.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:32 AM   #503
memyselfandus

Quote:
Default setting is "Write" disabled. That means your playing is not recorded. So "orphan" clips fired in the "past" can be removed by Playtime anytime. Playtime for sure removes them as soon as you press stop. If you want to keep the fired clips, enable "Write" before. Then clips shouldn't disappear.

This is no demo restriction.
Why is the main feature disabled? Shouldn't it be default? Live is the opposite? Unless I'm missing something. When you trigger clips in ableton live, everything gets recorded into arrange. Why allow triggering clips to go into the main project at all in the first place? If "some" parts disappear and others stay? I'm confused.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #504
vanhaze

I am totally with you ; confusing indeed.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #505
snooks
Banned

It's just the way Playtime triggers clips - it temporarily puts them on the timeline so Reaper can play them. It does this out of the way of any clips that are already actually there, unless you want it to play with the project.

Ableton Live doesn't record anything into the arrange view unless you tell it to. Neither does Playtime - it only leaves the clips where it would otherwise temporarily place them for playback when you hit the Write button.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #506
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
It's just the way Playtime triggers clips - it temporarily puts them on the timeline so Reaper can play them. It does this out of the way of any clips that are already actually there, unless you want it to play with the project.

Ableton Live doesn't record anything into the arrange view unless you tell it to. Neither does Playtime - it only leaves the clips where it would otherwise temporarily place them for playback when you hit the Write button.
Thanks, couldn't describe it better
Old 02-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #507
memyselfandus

Yeah but live doesn't show any clips being recorded into arrange when playing them.

Write should be on by default. Why would you want to trigger clips just to play them in reaper? Before you would want to record them into reaper? When it does record them into reaper but sorta doesn't? If it's going to give the illusion of recording the clip triggers it way as well be on by default.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #508
helgoboss

Quote:
Why would you want to trigger clips just to play them and have some record and some not record?
You wouldn't. Playtime either records them all (if "Write" is on) or records none (if "Write" is off). There's nothing inbetween.

True, even if "Write" is off, Playtime puts clips on the timeline. But just temporarily. It doesn't "record" them. As soon as you press stop, all left-over clips will be gone. I know, some people are visually confused by this behavior. But it's simply how Playtime does its job. Technically, there's no other way. Or more precisely, there are other ways but they are not as full-featured. Has been already discussed in this thread.

Hint: You can always hide tracks in REAPER (View => Track Manager => Click into column "TCP"). Hide the tracks controlled by Playtime and you won't see anymore how the clips appear and disappear.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #509
snooks
Banned

@memyselfandus: I think you're missing the point of what Live is great at - just jamming with a bunch of stuff. Hearing what things sound like together and switching back and forth without committing anything until you really, really, really want to. Playing stuff together and recording new parts without caring how long previous parts are.

Playtime brings that to Reaper. It's super cool. I won't hear a bad word said about it.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #510
memyselfandus

Yeah but it does record into the timeline. I think playtime is awesome too.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #511
EpicSounds

Quote:
Yeah but it does record into the timeline. I think playtime is awesome too.
You're right, live CAN, and so can Playtime in REAPER. What's the problem?
Old 02-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #512
memyselfandus

The only problem is user error on my part. I can see myself recording a 4 minute performance and ending up with nothing. Maybe a setting for people like me? Default write enabled? I don't know. I'm the guy who forgets to check collect all and save in live and end up with missing files in live projects

This stuff is so cool. Thank you so much helgoboss for making this possible. You are amazing!

How cool would something like this be? To control playtime from an iPad?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=s_qOGMUzpAU
Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #513
memyselfandus

How do you guys start recording clips live into the timeline starting at cursor?

Also. You have to select Write every time before recording clips into the timeline that stay there. Can we get a option to have write set by default? And unsealed the when you don't want to? Please?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #514
snooks
Banned

Turn "Settings->Play arrangement with clips" on and Playtime will play and/or write from wherever the cursor is.

If you have the cells MIDI learned, you can record the MIDI used to trigger the cells and play that back so you can store performances without Writing.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #515
memyselfandus

Awesome! thanks
Old 02-28-2016, 01:15 PM   #516
snooks
Banned

No worries, happy jamming!
Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #517
regrant

I'm having trouble with MIDI recording and "Auto-play recorded clips".

Basically I've got a 1 bar click loaded up and started. Then I click the record button in a slot in another group (mapped to a synth track), play some notes then click the record button again. The result is that there is roughly 2 beats of silence before the notes play - everything is shifted to the right - the loop length is correct so at the end things just get truncated. Now, my timing is bad but not that bad, if I record the same thing directly to the track in Reaper the recording is as I would expect.

I'm using the latest version, all settings are at at their defaults except for auto play after record. If I turn off the auto play setting things work as expected, except that I have to manually trigger the newly recorded part obviously.

Also, the behavior is the same whether I use mouse clicks or map automation to my MIDI controller.
regrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 AM   #518
mamazai

I've got a ridiculous problem. Installation is O.K. no problem but Reaper doesn't find that program. What's the problem ?
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:45 AM   #519
unmixed

Did you check your install paths?
unmixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:48 AM   #520
Gerry P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
...What's the problem ?
User error? Did you "clear cache and rescan"?